Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:55 am

Will it ever be possible for Super to be ranked #3?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:22 pm

emperior wrote:Will it ever be possible for Super to be ranked #3?
Nah. Unless Sazae, Chibi Maruko-chan and Crayon Shin-chan all don't air for a week.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:40 am

It did make it to #3 for the first episode of the Future Trunks arc (gonna put under a spoiler tag just in case people get confused and think these ratings are new:

[spoiler]1. Sazae [11.6]
2. One Piece [8.6]
3. Dragon Ball Super [8.4]
4. Crayon Shin-chan [8.3]
5. Chibi Maruko-chan [7.9]
6. Doraemon [7.5]
7. Detective Conan [6.2]
8. Ace Attorney [4.5]
9. Maho PreCure [4.1]
10. Yokai Watch [3.5][/spoiler]

That week it beat Shin-chan, Maruko-chan, Doraemon, and Detective Conan. Wonder if a similar feat is achievable once this arc gets going for real, or if the long buildup has dulled interest a bit...
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:47 am

I feel like the marketing and mystery surrounding the start of the Future Trunks arc was so good that the only way for this tournament arc to come close ratings wise would be if they either bust out a new form in a next episode preview or if something dramatic interrupts the tournament.

I really do think the long build-up potentially hurt interest in the tournament.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:52 am

Chuquita wrote:I feel like the marketing and mystery surrounding the start of the Future Trunks arc was so good that the only way for this tournament arc to come close ratings wise would be if they either bust out a new form in a next episode preview or if something dramatic interrupts the tournament.

I really do think the long build-up potentially hurt interest in the tournament.
The long build up did hurt interest in the tournament. Especially considering the fact that we did have a tournament before in Super.

I firmly also believe that the longer you wait for something, the more likely you will criticize it when it's all said and done. Now that the TOP is finally here after around 6 months of waiting, many will be more critical of it with the mentality of "we waited so long for this?" That's what I was afraid of when I noticed they were taking their sweet time in this arc.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:53 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
emperior wrote:Will it ever be possible for Super to be ranked #3?
Nah. Unless Sazae, Chibi Maruko-chan and Crayon Shin-chan all don't air for a week.
Does Dragonball Super do better globally than these other shows? Because I know these numbers are only from the home country Japan.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:59 am

None of those shows have seen the light of day on TV channels in the Americas. It's not even a contest that Dragon Ball Super is the most popular in tv ratings globally.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:05 am

One Piece isn't that popular in the west, and the only other show on that list that is well known is of course Pokemon.

Detective Conan, Precure, everything else, etc. is pretty much unknown or niche in the west.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:31 am

Dragon Ball is known and loved world wide, people all around the world basically grew up with Dragon Ball and Pokemon. I know i did. Pokemon every sunday, with team rocket blasting off every episode(rofl) and DB when ever it aird on TV.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:47 am

Prediction is that ratings will be high tonight.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:13 pm

TheMikado wrote:Prediction is that ratings will be high tonight.
It better.
I for one hope it absolutely smashes at least One Piece and maybe goes all the way up to 3rd?

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:28 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
TheMikado wrote:Prediction is that ratings will be high tonight.
It better.
I for one hope it absolutely smashes at least One Piece and maybe goes all the way up to 3rd?
Those are pretty high hopes... but I could see it being one of the top rated episodes.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:56 pm

Why are you guys so obsessed with Dragonball "beating" One Piece? Seriously, what does this matter?

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:01 pm

One piece is a power house and it has been for years. So beating it in anything is a pretty big deal. Even if it's only temporary. I don't think anyone is saying Super needs to beat one piece in ratings, since you're right it doesn't matter all that much, but it's a little bit of fun to compare the two.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:25 pm

precita wrote:Why are you guys so obsessed with Dragonball "beating" One Piece? Seriously, what does this matter?
Yeah, we already beat One Piece once. I don't get it. :P
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:06 am

Bullza wrote:I'd think a lighter hearted slice of life Dragon Ball series would still be pretty interesting.

There'd of course be fans who wouldn't like it but I'm sure plenty that would aswell. That's what I liked about the Dragon Ball Z anime in that it's filler sort of had that.

I've never liked filler for other shows but Dragon Ball Z had some good ones. I do like seeing the characters in normal situations like when Vegeta and his family went to the the theme park in Episode 2.

If it's constant fighting it becomes boring eventually.
They already have enough slice of life filler type stuff in Super already we don't need an entire show based on it with barely any fighting. I'd prefer a balance over one dominating the other but if I had to choose I'll take this Tournament of Power lasting for 40 episodes over Goku and pals having dinners lasting for 40 episodes.
Maron is stacked!!

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:26 am

precita wrote:One Piece isn't that popular in the west, and the only other show on that list that is well known is of course Pokemon.

Detective Conan, Precure, everything else, etc. is pretty much unknown or niche in the west.
What do you mean not that popular? Is pretty popular in France, Germany, Italy, Portugal and many european countries. Is also popular in Brazil and other south American countries. And I would also say it is popular in the United States of America and Canada. If you count Australia as a Western Country, it is also popular there. Note that not being as popular as Pokemon and Dragon Ball is different than "isn't that popular".

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:15 pm

Toei is going to have Kamen Rider and Super Sentai at 9-9:30 AM in the Fall? I wonder if Toei will change the timeslots for Super and One Piece since they also air around that time.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:34 pm

I don't know if it's that easy to change time slots. I think the most they could do is switch them so One Piece airs first and Super second. (Which considering my own time zone I wouldn't mind.)

How's time slot purchasing work in Japan I wonder.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:12 pm

Bigivel wrote:
precita wrote:One Piece isn't that popular in the west, and the only other show on that list that is well known is of course Pokemon.

What do you mean not that popular? Is pretty popular in France, Germany, Italy, Portugal and many european countries. Is also popular in Brazil and other south American countries. And I would also say it is popular in the United States of America and Canada. If you count Australia as a Western Country, it is also popular there. Note that not being as popular as Pokemon and Dragon Ball is different than "isn't that popular".
What the hell have you been snorting? One Piece is not popular in Brazil nor Latin America. We got the 4kids dub and it was a major flop. Its only recently that the mere hope of a reintroduction could Save One Piece over there. I know because I live there and I know the situation like the palm of my hand.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: