"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:07 pm

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It is pretty sad stuff that these sets haven't been doing well, at least according with Amazon's best selling anime.
I think it would've done a lot better if they released it while it was airing like the 1st Kai.
That was Toei's fault correct? Since Buu Kai wasn't ready when Kai 1.0 finished right?
MR.Mark wrote:That, and maybe not being cropped and badly edited.
Cropping isn't an issue, the Z BD's sell well constantly in the top 10's.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:12 pm

Hasn't Kai always sold poorly in North America? I remember Sabat or someone else at FUNimation saying something along the lines of "Kai has seemingly only made the Z DVDs sell more".

If that's the case, then it's probably mostly just people who just want the dub they grew up with and nothing else, because I don't see people who like Z in Japanese making that big of a difference in terms of sales in North America.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:00 pm

The orange bricks were cropped far worse then this and still sold amazingly well.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:13 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Hasn't Kai always sold poorly in North America? I remember Sabat or someone else at FUNimation saying something along the lines of "Kai has seemingly only made the Z DVDs sell more".

If that's the case, then it's probably mostly just people who just want the dub they grew up with and nothing else, because I don't see people who like Z in Japanese making that big of a difference in terms of sales in North America.
I'm pretty sure Kai sells well enough. The fact that we got The Final Chapters at all stems from the fact that Kai did so well over here as opposed to in Japan, as I think I've already pointed out to you. Plus, it brought a new generation of kids into the fandom who saw it on Nicktoons &/or CW.
As for more people checking out Z on DVD, that probably stems from people becoming aware of the show through Kai & wanting to see the original version. Same as the people who check out manga after watching an anime series. It's probably the same with other shows getting rediscovered all these years later.
Also, what sales numbers are you people looking at? On Amazon, the volumes of TFC are still currently within the top 200-300 in the Anime & the Kids & Family sections of the store.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Scsigs wrote:
TheAldella wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
I noticed a bit of an accent myself too. Can't quite place it though
It's Schemmel using his Rose voice.
No it's not. If you listen to it, it's him, in his Goku voice, not only matching Sabat with his delivery of the lines, but also the slight uppercrust kind of accent Sabat does for his Vegeta. Sean just did the same thing, giving it a bit more regalness to Goku's voice.
It's still in the same area as his Rose. Beside that, the difference you point out isn't severe enough to be bothered with when hearing another voice overlayed on top.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:35 pm

DHM211 wrote:
The orange bricks were cropped far worse then this and still sold amazingly well.
Silly me I forgot how most mainstream fans just accept whatever is given to them, sigh...

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:34 pm

TheAldella wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
TheAldella wrote: It's Schemmel using his Rose voice.
No it's not. If you listen to it, it's him, in his Goku voice, not only matching Sabat with his delivery of the lines, but also the slight uppercrust kind of accent Sabat does for his Vegeta. Sean just did the same thing, giving it a bit more regalness to Goku's voice.
It's still in the same area as his Rose. Beside that, the difference you point out isn't severe enough to be bothered with when hearing another voice overlayed on top.
Yeah, but it's not posh, which is the direction he went with Black, it's more of sort of an uppercrust, which is how Sabat generally does his Vegeta. Sean, I guess, decided to match Sabat even more by mimicking his accent as well. It makes sense in context more than how we're saying here saying here. You can tell the difference if you listen to a British RP accent VS English Vegeta's slightly-uppercrust American accent.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:47 pm

I still defy you to find a clip of Sabat's Vegeta that delivers a line like TWOOOO-EW though... :lolno:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:49 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
Silly me I forgot how most mainstream fans just accept whatever is given to them, sigh...
Yep, which is why some fans don't get why Geekdom recorded that video talking about how shitty the Orange Bricks are with one of his fellow DB YouTuber friends. Just look at the comments section of that video. A lot of the initial comments just show how a lot of non-hardcore fans just don't get either why Geekdom hates them, despite him stating exactly why in the video in detail, or why anyone hates them in general. Even Superkamiguru9000 made a video where in part of it, he states that he doesn't mind the Orange Bricks despite their terrible video problems because he has cheap sets with the 2 different variants of the show in English, either with the dub music or the Japanese music, or the Japanese audio with subs. Then we have super casuals, despite him saying he's been a fan for a while, like Chris Stuckmann who unironically support the shitty Z Blu-Rays despite how cheap & unabashedly terrible they are, his thoughts on the series aside.
On top of that, I don't think he's ever seen Kai, or cares about the terrible accuracy problems in the Z dub's translation & scripts, as he unironically used clips from the Blu-Rays, specifically Vegeta's speech to Goku when he's dying before Goku fights Frieza & Vegeta states, because it's the dub, "he took me away from my father & molded me how he wanted," or whatever he said (I still have yet to see earlier than the later android saga of DBZ) in the Z dub, despite it being inaccurate to the Japanese versus in Kai, where the line's more faithfully translated. He never gives his thoughts on the dub separate from the Japanese version either, which any good anime reviewer should if they wanna cover all their bases, outside of saying he prefers Sean Schemmel's Goku over Masako Nozawa in a, kind of, mean way. Whether it's nostalgia, or not, you can't judge DBZ completely from the dub alone. All you can judge a dub for is how well it presents the material, translates lines, & the voice cast picks & their acting, all of which the Z dub fails at in some capacity most of the time. I get liking the dub out of nostalgia, but you really can't judge Z as a whole from the Z dub, while you can judge it more accurately from Kai''s dub.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:53 pm

I try to stay away from youtube comments in general, way to toxic.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:55 pm

MR.Mark wrote:I try to stay away from youtube comments in general, way to toxic.
Yeah me too, since I tend to smell copper a lot when stupid people are around, & it's not the useless pennies they might carry either.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:50 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: That was Toei's fault correct? Since Buu Kai wasn't ready when Kai 1.0 finished right?
Not just that, when it aired in 2014 they made Funimation wait 3 years to release it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:24 am

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: That was Toei's fault correct? Since Buu Kai wasn't ready when Kai 1.0 finished right?
Not just that, when it aired in 2014 they made Funimation wait 3 years to release it.
Only because FUNi needed to air it on TV to release it for some reason. They dubbed it over that time, but needed to wait until Toonami caught up & aired the first 98 episodes.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:26 pm

Whoa I forgot how kinda boring this final portion of the arc with Pure Kid Buu is like. Very repetitive.

However Sabat nailed the speaches especially that "I am Vegeta" one where it looks like Buu has ended him. Several moments like that in Super similar to that heck we even had one in the recent episode that I can't wait for Sabat to do.

Schemmel is pretty solid here but I'm not liking the SS3 voice too much, it hasn't appeared much in modern DB but we have it here for a elongated period of time but I dunno just not feeling I don't think it meshes well with his now normal high Goku voice. If his base Goku Black is more in line with his current SS3 voice I'll be more than satisfied.

I think this is Rager's best work it's just so so good, it's less annoying too sometimes I feel his Satan voice can get a bit over bearing but in the moments where Satan isn't annoying Rager nailed them perfectly.

That's about it for this final strech, just at the part where Goku powers down from SS3 unexpectedly so almost to the finish line.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Whoa I forgot how kinda boring this final portion of the arc with Pure Kid Buu is like. Very repetitive.

However Sabat nailed the speaches especially that "I am Vegeta" one where it looks like Buu has ended him. Several moments like that in Super similar to that heck we even had one in the recent episode that I can't wait for Sabat to do.

Schemmel is pretty solid here but I'm not liking the SS3 voice too much, it hasn't appeared much in modern DB but we have it here for a elongated period of time but I dunno just not feeling I don't think it meshes well with his now normal high Goku voice. If his base Goku Black is more in line with his current SS3 voice I'll be more than satisfied.

I think this is Rager's best work it's just so so good, it's less annoying too sometimes I feel his Satan voice can get a bit over bearing but in the moments where Satan isn't annoying Rager nailed them perfectly.

That's about it for this final strech, just at the part where Goku powers down from SS3 unexpectedly so almost to the finish line.
Rager never felt overbearing to me. He's perfect for the part.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:49 am

I like all the EoZ voices! Can't remember who is new or old but I think Uub is voiced the same? If Super ever goes EoZ I am happy with what we got. Speaking of Super it is interesting watching EoZ now with the knowledge of what has been going on Super I didn't spot anything too contradictory.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:13 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It is interesting watching EoZ now with the knowledge of what has been going on Super I didn't spot anything too contradictory.
I used to wish it told us more before but now I see it was a good idea to leave everything unknown otherwise it would've been hard to write stories set in the past like they're doing now. I still think that when we get to EOZ there'll be some other changes like Beerus being there or something like that.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:38 am

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It is interesting watching EoZ now with the knowledge of what has been going on Super I didn't spot anything too contradictory.
I used to wish it told us more before but now I see it was a good idea to leave everything unknown otherwise it would've been hard to write stories set in the past like they're doing now. I still think that when we get to EOZ there'll be some other changes like Beerus being there or something like that.
I agree, the closest thing they give you to something is Piccolo's line about how he hasn't seen Goku that happy in a while. I am sure Toei will re-animate EoZ with a few differences probably to mesh with the Super anime a little bit better but I don't think we'll see Beerus, because I think Beerus will actually die or at the very least cut ties with Goku and co before EoZ.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:45 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I think Beerus will actually die or at the very least cut ties with Goku and co before EoZ.
Do you think they'd kill someone that popular off ? If Toriyama ends Super after leading into EOZ that doesn't mean everyone else involved (The companies, the DB room & Toyotaruo) will want to stop there. That's even assuming Toriyama ends it there, he could just lead into it and continue into Uub's training.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:05 am

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I think Beerus will actually die or at the very least cut ties with Goku and co before EoZ.
Do you think they'd kill someone that popular off ? If Toriyama ends Super after leading into EOZ that doesn't mean everyone else involved (The companies, the DB room & Toyotaruo) will want to stop there. That's even assuming Toriyama ends it there, he could just lead into it and continue into Uub's training.
The only reason I think that was the whole not seeing Goku happy that line, Beerus dying or cutting ties was the only thing could see making Goku unhappy but there is so much going on in the current arc it could be anything heck they could even re-write that line so could mean nothing.