what is the origin of the infamous ¨9000¨???

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:54 pm

VegettoEX wrote:To give you an idea of how ridiculous this thing has become, here's two examples from Otakon.
anything popular on youtube automatically becomes ridiculous and overhyped

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:02 pm

caejones wrote:I didn't realize until this post the irony not only in that relatively clueless dubbies (two of which are under nine) pronounce "Naruto" correctly, but that no one in Japanese II, who were most definitely self-proclaimed Otaku, pronounced it correctly to my recollection.
Someone should go tell them they were off. And while they're at it, should give up posing, because they're not really good at it.... >.<

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:51 pm

Why hasn't anyone made something funny with the parachute line?

I was about to, but it would have been waaaaay too violent and possibly offensive. :P

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:50 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:
VegettoEX wrote: but in-process, someone louder than me screamed back, "THAT WAS BRIAN DRUMMOND"
That was me.

:D
And me as well, but I probably wasn't loud enough. I found that pretty upsetting.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:58 am

Mr. Announcer wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:
VegettoEX wrote: but in-process, someone louder than me screamed back, "THAT WAS BRIAN DRUMMOND"
That was me.

:D
And me as well, but I probably wasn't loud enough. I found that pretty upsetting.
Really? I guess not, if I couldn't hear you just two rows up. :?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

wolf

Post by wolf » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:59 am

NativeGirl wrote:What is 4Chan exactly? I already hear about it but not that much...
In a nutshell, a bunch of retards who have nothing better to do but to make fun of other people and start inside jokes like over 9000 and the ORLY owl. And you can post annononmous so no one will know who you are.

Like everyone else said, stay away from it.

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:20 pm

wolf wrote:
NativeGirl wrote:What is 4Chan exactly? I already hear about it but not that much...
In a nutshell, a bunch of retards who have nothing better to do but to make fun of other people and start inside jokes like over 9000 and the ORLY owl. And you can post annononmous so no one will know who you are.

Actually, it's a bunch of smart people acting retarded (unlike the grand majority of the internet, which is a bunch of idiots trying to act smart).

wolf

Post by wolf » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:53 pm

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:
wolf wrote:

Actually, it's a bunch of smart people acting retarded (unlike the grand majority of the internet, which is a bunch of idiots trying to act smart).
Yea true but overall, there retarded in many forms. I'm not going to get into any details and leave it at that.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:19 pm

4chan is the pit of the internet. It's really harmless (though Fox News would have you believe otherwise) but it's not for the faint of heart - or stomach.
Lulz. Internet haet machine.

It's mostly an obscure /b/ meme that exploded because the VGCats website had it on their frontpage. More proof that everyone visits /b/ >.>
It's just one of those things that got extremely popular to a certain group of people and everyone kinda fell into it.

Over 9000 on encyclopedia dramatica. (a wiki run by 4chan members.)

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:55 pm

This joke just needs to fucking die. :x

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:39 am

At the FUNimation One Piece panel, at some certain point in time (possibly during talk about Chris Sabat?), someone out in the audience yelled "IT'S OVER 9000!"... to which I began to yell back, "THAT WASN'T HIM", but in-process, someone louder than me screamed back, "THAT WAS BRIAN DRUMMOND".
Haha, sounded like fun :P

As for 4Chan...just stay away.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:24 pm

VegettoEX wrote:If anything, it further proves that anime conventions are becoming less and less about celebrating our shared love of Japanese culture (including its animation), but are instead becoming a celebration of internet culture using anime as a faux-backdrop just to initiate the gathering.
This is such a sad truth. It's getting more and more rare to find people who truly respect anime or even just animation in general at these conventions.

I also like how everybody warns to stay away from 4chan, yet they seem to know about the place in great detail. :P
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:38 am

DBW wrote:This is such a sad truth. It's getting more and more rare to find people who truly respect anime or even just animation in general at these conventions.
Not sure I believe that..it's not the vibe I got at Otakon anyway. Given the number of people you see cosplaying, at the art gallery, watching anime, or just going to the panels, where are you guys getting this from?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:25 pm

tarsonis wrote:
DBW wrote:This is such a sad truth. It's getting more and more rare to find people who truly respect anime or even just animation in general at these conventions.
Not sure I believe that..it's not the vibe I got at Otakon anyway. Given the number of people you see cosplaying, at the art gallery, watching anime, or just going to the panels, where are you guys getting this from?
Did you actually listen to anything anyone said? Not just looking at them, but listening to them? Every other word out of Generic Otaku #2's mouth is some kind of internet meme. When it's spread to the dealers, as well... you've got a problem on your hands.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:25 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
tarsonis wrote:
Did you actually listen to anything anyone said? Not just looking at them, but listening to them? Every other word out of Generic Otaku #2's mouth is some kind of internet meme. When it's spread to the dealers, as well... you've got a problem on your hands.
Ok, I admit I was listening not to particular people, just more in general. :) But quoting Internet memes doesn't equal a disinterest in animation. I think it happens because people figure that anime fans are also well-versed in Internet fads, and they probably hear the same things they do. Just my two cents.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:04 pm

tarsonis wrote:Ok, I admit I was listening not to particular people, just more in general. :) But quoting Internet memes doesn't equal a disinterest in animation. I think it happens because people figure that anime fans are also well-versed in Internet fads, and they probably hear the same things they do. Just my two cents.
Oh, I'll totally agree.

I have absolutely zero familiarity with 4chan, but from what I understand and observe, the vast majority of internet memes all seem to stem from that area, and are eventually (if not overdue and unwelcome by said point) used by the non-anime crowd. That being said, it makes sense that the anime crowd would be the ones most familiar with the material (they created it), and it gives them something else to connect on.

My problem (and I've heard it mentioned by several people over the years, increasingly stated with fierce wording each year) is that this internet-culture-connection is becoming more and more what the people are actually connecting on at the events, rather than what the event was actually started for.

That's a lot of assumptions based on observations (both personal and heresay), but I'd wager it's the truth. The real question is whether or not it *matters* to anyone. Does it matter to me? Yes. I feel like I'm in the same position at an anime con where someone yells out "OVER 9000!" as I do at a show when a young girl asks her friend in a valley-girl accent when this stupid opening act is going to be done. It's frustrating to have that history and past, and have it be taken away in a heartbeat by someone younger.

Does that make me old and unable to adapt? Probably. I can only imagine what it's like for anime fans older than myself who don't have a fucking clue what these kids are talking about :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:22 pm

Hmm, someone made a "9000" using Chris Sabbat's version of the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z3DUmbv ... ed&search=
The end of the video is uh.... different.
Check out our home made films!
Lots of martial arts action and comedy.
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=HumpskiProductions