Do you find it weird when people say Saiyan as Saiya-jin?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Do you find it weird when people say Saiyan as Saiya-jin?

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:31 pm

I was recently watching Mike's video about inconsistancies caused by filler on youtube and he kept on pronouncing Saiyan as Saiya-Jin. I find it really weird when people actually say it like that. Do you?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:45 pm

Why is it weird? A lot of fans like to use terminology that was in the Japanese version. I for one just say Saiyan, though I don't find it weird to hear Saiya-jin.

Drunken Master
Regular

Post by Drunken Master » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:50 pm

I like 'Saiya-jin' better, but I don't want to be one of those online peeps who use stuff like 'Bejita' and 'Seru' that try to look smart or whatever. 'Saiyan' is fine to me. Although I do find myself using 'Tenshinhan' and 'Kuririn' because of my Viz graphic novels.
Last edited by Drunken Master on Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA [b]Pope Blitzkrieg XVI[/b], [b]Mr. Shades-Internet McCool[/b]

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:51 pm

No. I think Saiya-jin sounds cool, although I don't usually say it. I usually say "Say-yun". I'd prefer to say Saiyan, but my friend gets upset whenever I say Saiyan correctly. He says that I just hate everything American.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:15 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:He says that I just hate everything American.
Well then tell him that apparently, he does too, as "Sigh-yun" is how it should be pronounced with such a spelling.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

BrolytheLSSJ

Post by BrolytheLSSJ » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:21 pm

Theres nothing wrong with saying "SSJ"
Thats basically the right abbreviation

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:21 pm

No I don't find it weird. I say Saiyajin myself. It's really not any weirder Saiyan to me.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:52 pm

Being an elitist jerk that likes to pretend the dub doesn't exist, no, "Saiya-jin" doesn't bother me at all. I've heard it pronounced plenty of times by the Japanese cast, so I can't see why it would be weird to hear it elsewhere.

But what does bother me is when people who claim that Saiyan, with the proper "sigh" pronunciation, is a "wrong" translation. That's just facepalm fanboyism right there.
-Rachel

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:58 pm

I don't care either way.
Trunks & Goten forever

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Re: Do you find it weird when people say Saiyan as Saiya-jin

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:03 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:I was recently watching Mike's video about inconsistancies caused by filler on youtube and he kept on pronouncing Saiyan as Saiya-Jin. I find it really weird when people actually say it like that. Do you?
When non-Japanese people say it like that... yeah, kinda.
I mean, who says "namekku-seijin", outside of Japan?

(I just looked for posts containing "seijin" : 4 matches... and I get 2 matches for "nameckseijin"...)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:40 pm

For me, personally...

It's that "Saiya-jin" is said so often in the show I watched, it just kinda gets beaten in there. "Namekku-sei-jin" is pretty much exclusive to one little section of the series, where-as "Saiya-jin" gets mentioned in DBZ #001 all the way through #291. That's not to say that Piccolo's heritage is never brought up from time to time... it's just that I heard "Saiya-jin" so many times, it's just... like... that's what it "is" to me, ya' know?

I really don't feel like it's something that needs to be justified, but examining myself and my history, I think that's the main contributing factor.

Furthermore, while you could say aloud "Saiyan" (as "sigh - an") and be correct, I see that as being even more foreign than simply using the Japanese pronunciation for an American audience. At least when you say "Saiya-jin" they won't say you're "wrong" :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dragon Ball Daisuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Ball Daisuki » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:00 pm

Mike hit it right on the head. It just depends on what version of our beloved show you're most familiar with! If nothing else, from a sense of repetition, Saiya-jin will always sound most natural for someone who grew up with subs, even as anything but "Saiyan" seems unnatural to you, err... jjgp1112.

For me, it's just the fact that the pun is so lost on the more mainstream (well, at least in America) form, "Saiyan". For some reason we see the "a" and want to enunciate that instead of the "ai" sound. A more accurate Americanization might be... Seiyan?

:3

You can call me an elitist jerk all you want, but I must admit I do use 'Namek-sei-jin' -- again, for its aesthetic appeal and less so for its practical use. I don't see it as necessary, you'll note, to romanize it out to "Namekku-sei-jin" since the English language is in fact suited for ending a word in a consonant. But, on the other hand, I stubbornly adhere to "Kakarotto". ;P It's just such a trademark of Vegeta's, that momentary pause in between the first three syllables and the last. "Kakarot......TO!"

I love it.
For yer health!

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:59 pm

As weird as it is, this board and the podcast have converted me to saying Saiya-jin. Haha... I such a conformist.

Anyways, I use it when I'm talking about it, but none of my friends are really into Dragon Ball, at least not to the extent that they don't get irritated at my random Dragon Ball ramblings and obscure references.

Except for "IT'S OVER 9000!!!" ... They seem to love that.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:05 pm

I watch the Japanese version but it comes off as a little strange, for me at least when I hear Saiya-jin outside of the Japanese language. Only because, the suffix "jin" is a Japanese suffix describing people from that race, nationality or country. So actually it would be "Saiyan", (pronounced "Sai-Yan" not "Sei-yun"), because in Japan they call Americans, Amerika-jins and as an American, I don't call myself an America dropping the "jin" part if you get what I mean.

I like the "Saiya-jins" one but personally use what ever comes out of my mouth first, more often then not it's the "Sei-yun" pronunciation, even though it's wrong.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:16 am

I'm weirder because I say it like sai ya yin which is how it's said in Spanish. Don't believe me? If you own it, put in the one UUE of the episode with first appearance of Vegita and Napa. The critical part is where they say:

(Up to this point the disscusion has been about Gohan's unsual power)
Vegeta: La mezcla del Saiyajin y humano produzca gran poder...
Napa: ¿Un super saiyajin? (goes on to say somthing about creating another Saiyajin Empire/World) Vegeta answers him by saying not to be stupid and to think about having brats with superior power than theirs. Conversation ends on that note.
That's why I use the term. Like so many people I have the repatition as the reason for my prefered term.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:22 am

After all the Podcast listening I've done, I don't even notice when it's pronounced one way or the other. I'm in this weird phase right now where I switch back and forth sub-consciously...

In regards to the question - it's only weird because you've only watched the dub. Expand your horizons a bit, and it won't bother you.

Funny how there was a 15 minute discussion about this on some Podcast episode after the video was first put out.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:42 am

I say "Saiya-jin" all the time. I don't fault people for saying "Saiyan", but Saiya-jin is prefered by me.

LSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by LSSJ4 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:44 am

As for me, I'm actually more of a dub fan, yet i use Saiya-Jin, It feels more like the official term to me.

Don't know why.....

I do use Saiyan when talking to people who prefer the dub or aren't DBZ fans.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:47 am

I use Saiyan, but I use SSJ if I want to abbreviate it. And no, it's not because of the S.S. Goku; it's just, I don't know... it feels right.

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:04 am

I use Saiyan all the time but I don't find Saiya-jin weird using at all.
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.