"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by AgitoZ » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:How would you guys feel if they brought back Majin Ozotto for FighterZ? Like have him be a boss at the end of the Arcade mode or something similar to that.
I would certainly like to see him pop up in a game again but just not FighterZ. I just don't think it's a smart idea to waste a slot on such an unpopular character considering how much the roster will be limited in comparision to other games in the franchise.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:06 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Just a friendly reminder that the sign ups for the closed beta begin tomorrow. It may be first come, first serve so get in there and secure a place as quick as possible.
Isn't that just for the Japanese version?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:01 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Just a friendly reminder that the sign ups for the closed beta begin tomorrow. It may be first come, first serve so get in there and secure a place as quick as possible.
Isn't that just for the Japanese version?
Nah. It's worldwide.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:23 am

KayDash wrote:Personally, I'm in this mostly for the multiplayer, so I'd prefer them not spending their resources on a boss character that is CPU only, and only in single player. If it also works as a normal character, it's fine, but then why Majin Ozotto? He only appeared in only one arcade game that most people don't even know about, and even his moveset is not too interesting.
Agreed! Personally iv'e never had any real interest in the character, outside of him just being an small tidbit in DB Lore. His design is OKAY at best and they would REALLY have to Shang Tsung'ify him in order for him to be anymore interesting than just some bland monster.. (I mean some could say the same about Jiren but hey.)

So yeah, Ozotto? Nah Please spare me :yawn: .. Now gimme Janemba :thumbup: A great long ranged keep out character!
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:36 am

After today's episode, is anyone else really hoping for Kale as a playable character? We could have her 'controlled' form as a base playable character, with the Berserker state as the temporary transformation (with a much more aggressive play-style, perhaps more armor when attacking, can combo easier into certain moves etc) or even just as an ultimate move?
Seriously, happy they didn't ditch the design from the early promo-art, but I really wanna see it in Fighterz (the more girls in my fighters the better)!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:30 pm

Rory wrote:After today's episode, is anyone else really hoping for Kale as a playable character?
Not gonna happen. IF, and that's a big IF, there's a chance it will be as a DLC but I doubt it. I'm not expecting anyone from Universe Survival arc.

Honestly speaking I hope next time Bandai give us a DBS game.

The show hit the 100 episodes milestone, it's airing in a lot of countries and we now have a official simulcast for the japanese version.
After Universe Survival arc ends, we will finally have more than enough characters to make a good roster.

I understand their logic of wanting to prioritize DBZ because of its legacy, but DBS is the hottest topic of the franchise for 2 years and it deserves its own proper game.
The main cast would obviously still be in, but some Z only characters should just step back.

I honestly doubt there are more people than want to play with characters like Raditz, Nappa, Dodoria, Zarbon, etc... if they watch DBS and could have the chance to play with Hit, Goku Black, Zamasu, Caulifla, Kale, Basil...

The classic Saiyan arc - Buu arc story mode is already milked to death too.

I'm not saying they should stop making DBZ games and focus only on DBS stuff. They will never do that. But that DBS deserves to have his own proper game?! Sure, does!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:51 pm

If this game is a competitive success then I wouldn't expect a sequel for six more years.

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:21 am

Simere wrote:If this game is a competitive success then I wouldn't expect a sequel for six more years.
None of the other currently popular fighting games have sequels as far apart as Street Fighter and Tekken do, so it's kind of unfair to expect that of other fighting games.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:10 am

EA575 wrote:
Simere wrote:If this game is a competitive success then I wouldn't expect a sequel for six more years.
None of the other currently popular fighting games have sequels as far apart as Street Fighter and Tekken do, so it's kind of unfair to expect that of other fighting games.
I wouldn't call any fighting game popular besides SF, Tekken and NRS games. What's currently popular to you? GG, Marvel and KoF all have gaps that large.

I wasn't really talking about popularity, though. I was talking about if it established a competitive scene that could sustain itself like SF4, rather than blooming and withering quickly like MK/Injustice.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:30 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Rory wrote:After today's episode, is anyone else really hoping for Kale as a playable character?
Not gonna happen. IF, and that's a big IF, there's a chance it will be as a DLC but I doubt it. I'm not expecting anyone from Universe Survival arc.

Honestly speaking I hope next time Bandai give us a DBS game.

The show hit the 100 episodes milestone, it's airing in a lot of countries and we now have a official simulcast for the japanese version.
After Universe Survival arc ends, we will finally have more than enough characters to make a good roster.

I understand their logic of wanting to prioritize DBZ because of its legacy, but DBS is the hottest topic of the franchise for 2 years and it deserves its own proper game.
The main cast would obviously still be in, but some Z only characters should just step back.

I honestly doubt there are more people than want to play with characters like Raditz, Nappa, Dodoria, Zarbon, etc... if they watch DBS and could have the chance to play with Hit, Goku Black, Zamasu, Caulifla, Kale, Basil...

The classic Saiyan arc - Buu arc story mode is already milked to death too.

I'm not saying they should stop making DBZ games and focus only on DBS stuff. They will never do that. But that DBS deserves to have his own proper game?! Sure, does!
I agree. I love Z, but I'm fed up of seeing the exact same roster more or less. I'd love to see a Super-focused roster, or one based only in the movies of Z.

I'd also wouldn't mind to see a 1v1 DB fighting game by ARCsys.

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:22 pm

Simere wrote:
EA575 wrote:
I wouldn't call any fighting game popular besides SF, Tekken and NRS games. What's currently popular to you? GG, Marvel and KoF all have gaps that large.

I wasn't really talking about popularity, though. I was talking about if it established a competitive scene that could sustain itself like SF4, rather than blooming and withering quickly like MK/Injustice.
I guess I should have worded that differently. I mean fighting games that were recently released.

I think it could sustain itself in a competitive scene especially since Bandai Namco is publishing it.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:12 pm

Simere wrote:
EA575 wrote:

Guilty Gear was getting new releases every year in the beginning, then started getting Street Fighter-like updates every year or two. Same as King of Fighters. But the big gap in it's releases we're due to the company being dirt poor for a while. We got a new Marvel game every year in the nineties, then Capcom no longer had the license. Marvel 3 released in 2011. Then shortly afterwards the license was gone again. Now it's back.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:50 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote:
Simere wrote:
EA575 wrote: None of the other currently popular fighting games have sequels as far apart as Street Fighter and Tekken do, so it's kind of unfair to expect that of other fighting games.

Guilty Gear was getting new releases every year in the beginning, then started getting Street Fighter-like updates every year or two. Same as King of Fighters. But the big gap in it's releases we're due to the company being dirt poor for a while. We got a new Marvel game every year in the nineties, then Capcom no longer had the license. Marvel 3 released in 2011. Then shortly afterwards the license was gone again. Now it's back.
It's not that time anymore. Successful competitive games will never work with annual or bi-annual releases, and companies want popular games they can continually monetize through expansions, DLC and microtransactions. Should DBFZ strike it big competitively as many are hoping/expecting, there's little chance they'll risk its continued success by releasing a quick direct sequel to compete with it.

If it's not a competitive success and doesn't retain any large community, but still manages to be a commercial success like NRS games, then I could see a quicker sequel. But that's not what I'm talking about.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:07 am

I heard this game is drawing more attention than Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, is that right?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:37 am

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:41 am

Quebaz wrote:Yeah, it is called Scatter Kamehameha in the Dimps games but Scattering Blast or a variation of it in every other game, the translator probably chose it as it's the most recent term that fans must be familiar with.
Not like we don't have some moves that have like a dozen names between Japanese and English releases anyway.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:05 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Let's see if they're still right when sale numbers say otherwise.
Fair, but MvC: Infinite's bad PR isn't helping it.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:57 am

While it's obvious that there's a need to back up statements about attention and coverage, let's try not to devolve into a witch-hunt and be antagonistic toward other communities when linking specific posts and responses from individual users. Very poor form, and not representative of what Kanzenshuu should be. Don't be the very thing you're attempting to mock.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:04 pm

VegettoEX wrote:While it's obvious that there's a need to back up statements about attention and coverage, let's try not to devolve into a witch-hunt and be antagonistic toward other communities when linking specific posts and responses from individual users. Very poor form, and not representative of what Kanzenshuu should be. Don't be the very thing you're attempting to mock.
I'm not mocking anyone. I'm just showing the perception of Dragon Ball FighterZ has over Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite has in the fighting game community and perhaps beyond. There is, understandably, a lot of hype over DBF and there is a lot negative baggage on MvC: Infinite starting from this interview with Mike Evans:
http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/27/marvel-vs ... g-6601300/
GC: When this was first announced some fans theorized that the Marvel characters would only include those that Marvel has the cinematic rights to. That is the case so far, but is that going to be true for the whole game?

Mike Evans: No…

GC: It’s nothing to be ashamed of, if it’s all down to the lawyers.

ME: Totally, totally. No, but it’s not. And if Marvel were here they would answer as I’m going to. It’s not based on the Marvel Cinematic Universe. We take a lot of inspiration from the cinematic universe, but the game is a completely original universe.

GC: So you could have the Fantastic Four or X-Men in the game, if you wanted them?

ME: I can’t say about that one.

GC: You can’t say if you could?

ME: I… can’t answer that question.

GC: You can’t say if you could say if you could?

ME: Exactly! [laughs]

GC: [conspiratorially] You can have Doctor Doom though, surely?

ME: Oh, ah… I would say stay excited. We have many announcements coming. But you’re not the first to ask that one!
Please remember the underlined.

This interview with Peter "Combofiend" Rosas and Evans: https://www.vg247.com/2017/05/04/inside ... at-equity/
This is obviously a collaborative development, but what is the relationship with Marvel like in terms of picking the cast?

Mike Evans: We’ve had a lot of freedom, actually. When we’re picking the characters for this game we’re looking at a couple of different things. We had these huge lists all throughout preproduction of what characters we’d want. When it comes down to picking the final character roster, we’re looking at… well.

So, we’re telling a story this time and a good story has really fun interactions between characters. Especially in a crossover game like this – in the stinger you saw X and Rocket Racoon having a back and forth there. Or, like, two strong female characters – Chun-Li and Captain Marvel, and them coming together as leaders in the story. So we’re thinking about as fans on both sides… what kind of pair-ups do we want to see? What kind of cool interactions could we envision in the story?

That was one aspect of it. The other was of course from the gameplay side. Marvel helps us out a lot with what’s coming up in the Marvel universe – like, what’s the five-year roadmap, what’s the content looking like, and also on the authenticity of the characters. But when it comes to fighting games, they really leave it to us because they realise that we’re the experts on making a fun fighting game.

They want us to pick the characters that we feel like we can represent the best within a fighting game. There are certain archetypes of characters like quick, small characters who can move really quickly like Strider, or really large brawler characters like Hulk. We’re looking for a nice combination of different character types. It’s a lot of things.

It’s definitely not Marvel coming to us and telling us, y’know… hey, we have this movie coming up so you have to include this character. It’s not like that. There’s a really long history with Capcom and Marvel back to the 90s, well before Marvel is what it is today, and the Capcom approach to bringing these Marvel characters to life in these games like X-Men Children of the Atom and X-Men vs Street Fighter… bringing them off the page of the comics in a way that nobody was really doing at the time is part of the Capcom DNA and approach. They really respect that on their side too, so in that sense it’s a collaboration.

That said, when it comes to their characters that we do finally agree upon to be represented in the game, they’re giving us great feedback all the time. The development team in Japan are also big Marvel fans, and they’re taking inspiration from the comics, the movies, here and there, but when it comes to the representation of that and being authentic… Bill Rosemann, the creative director on the Marvel side really helps us out with all that stuff.
Then, this debacle of an interview with Evans and Rosas:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/marve ... 05-10aaa0b
This interview brought to light things like Chun-Li's face (and Dante's to a degree) and the now infamous quote by Combofiend:
There was recently a leak about the characters, and people picked up on the fact that a lot of classic characters aren't there, specifically the X-Men characters like Magneto and Sentinel. How do you guys feel about people being hung up on that?

Peter Rosas: If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They're just doing things. Magneto, case and point, is a favorite because he has eight-way dash and he's really fast, right? So our more technical players, all they want to do is triangle jump and that kind of stuff. Well guess what, Nova can do the same thing, Captain Marvel can do the same thing. Ultron can do the same thing. Go ahead and try them out.
Que Maximillian Dood's reaction to this very quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLN7_6aErh4
(Go to 3:26-3:46)

This caused some controversy because around the time of these interviews, Gazillion announced they were removing the Fantastic Four from Marvel Heroes, just days from when Marvel Heroes Omega launched on consoles:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/29/ ... next-month
Doctor Doom is still in the game because of his role.
This, with the absence of X-Men characters and the Fantastic Four characters in Lego Marvel Superheroes 2, are signs that Marvel's self-imposed "Fox ban" is still in effect. If you are not aware of it, the film rights to the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises are owned by 20th Century Fox due to deals made with Marvel during the 1990s. Marvel Studios wants the rights back. Unlike Marvel's current deal with Sony regarding the Spider-Man franchise, Fox has been not been playing nice. So, what have the executives at Marvel decided? The diminished or outright removal of X-Men and Fantastic Four characters in all other avenues to eliminate free advertisement for the film franchises owned by Fox.
Around the same time, Marvel: Future Fight announced the X-Men were being added to their game:
http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/05/28/ ... ers-added/
This lead to hope that non-MCU characters would be added until the ZIP File leak said otherwise.
It does not help that the majority of the Marvel roster in MvC: Infinite is largely based on characters that have had films that recently was released in theaters or were upcoming films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which contradicts what Mike Evans said in the first interview I quoted.
The perception of Capcom of not just deflecting the blame from Marvel on the roster decisions but blatantly lying is turning people away from the game.

The "Functions" meme, some of the art directions (see Chun-Li and Dante), and even down to the character themes are putting negative light on the game, so much that Jedah Dohma's inclusion was revealed in a gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=824QLyKvbuk
However, in recent events, Jedah was not available to play in the builds for those on the floor. One could theorize that showing was an attempt to save face for the game.
From what others who have been to events like EVO and played the game have said, the gameplay itself seems to be its saving grace.

How does all this relate terms of DBF? Well, from what I can gather all this controversy could lead potential buyers into the arms of DBF and not MvC: Infinite. The hype surrounding DBF is certainly have been positive as the release date comes closer. The only negative thing came when the registration for closed beta moved from July 26, 2017 to August 22, 2017, which is nearly a month away from MvC: Infinite's release date of September 19, 2017.