"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by DainIronfoot » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:46 am

I'm more interested to see Freeza react with the Nameks. Imagine he tortures one...says "Just like old times!"

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:46 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:All these designs done by Toriyama?
They are probably a mix of Toriyama, Toyotaro and Yamamuro. I imagine all the important characters are Toriyama and Toyotaro and all of the jobbers are Yamamuro.

hardcorefakes
Beyond Newbie

Post by hardcorefakes » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:46 am

Michsi wrote:
precita wrote:
omaro34 wrote:Universe six's version of Namek would be interesting to see. More Namekians could mean more that Piccolo can fuse with, although I'm more interested in Piccolo meeting them.
Why on earth would Piccolo fuse with Nameks from U6? Like...what?
but let's face it , crazier things have happened in DB.
...Not really, tbh.

Piccolo isn't fusing with these Namekians. And if he does, it will be the craziest thing to happen in Dragon Ball.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:48 am

Spent my time since these pics came out trying to figure out the puns; here's my thoughts so far based on the themes already made clear by other characters:

Universe 2 (meat)
Bikaru: Mixed up version of karubi (kalbi)
Zaaroin: Sirloin, with ‘z’ instead of ‘s’ at the start
Haamira: Mixed up version of harami (skirt steak)
Puran: Mixed up version of ranpu (rump)
Zaabuto: shortened version of zabuton (means cushion normally, but apparently means chuck flap in meat terminology)

Universe 3 (Italian food)
Paparoni: Pepperoni

Universe 4 (spices)
Kyauei: Dropped syllable from kyarauei (caraway)
Daakori: Mixed up and dropped syllable from koriandaa (coriander)
Monna: Mixed up and dropped syllable from shinamon (cinnamon)

Universe 10 (elements)
Jirasen: Most pieces of this name are found in puraseojimu (Praseodymium)
Obuni: Mixed up version of Niobu (Niobium)
Jirukoru: Similar to jirukoniumu (Zirconium)

Universe 11 (kitchen items)
Kunshii: Mixed up version of shinku (sink)

Too tired right now to keep going with this right now, but definitely want to keep researching tomorrow!
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:52 am

U6 Namekians for U6? Holy shit! I was actually expecting at this point that there won't be any other two characters there and they'll just handwave it. I mean, there was a point made about the U4 missing guys, but none about those guys. It really would be something Super would do :lol:

I don't think the second one looks a lot like Slug, but the first one is just dark skinned Piccolo. Don't mind it, really. Hope their designs are good, really curious how U6 (possibly evil) Namekians dress!
I really don't want Piccolo out now. He needs to meet those guys in some way. Especially Saoneru!

About the names: I'm glad everybody has one now and we don't have to call them weird things, but my God are some of those hard to remember. A lot of those guys really aren't named by Toriyama, cause he always kept things simple. Maybe the CR sub will simplify some of those.
Also, with the leak a while back, we have a name and a design still unrevealed, so that leaves only one new character left to show up in some way. Of course, unless it's the Ganos clone, though I don't think so to be honest.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:54 am

Cool, we got all names. Well, still missing two for U4, that's gonna be big.

Two namekians for U6, it was expected and I wanted it. Let's face it, U7 namekians are too peaceful, the one that was cool, Nail, was sacrificed to make Piccolo useful. Let's see what this two bring, interaction with Piccolo is gonna be interesting.
Heno heno kappa!

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:03 am

Basako wrote:Cool, we got all names. Well, still missing two for U4, that's gonna be big.
Technically we're only missing one name for U4; we have Damom, though he hasn't been officially revealed yet.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:06 am

I'm so hyped for these U6 Namekian fighters! Hopefully they will have a great showing and interactions with Piccolo. I also think they will be evil.

Maybe Piccolo will get a power-up thanks to them? It doesn't have to be fusion, they might know some way to get stronger which Piccolo doesn't.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:07 am

So the Yardratian is called Jimiz well his name is so fitting to be a meme :lol:
Edit: I made a typo it's Shunkan* Ido but you get the idea :lol:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:09 am

There are two new namekians, this is a golden opportunity to have piccolo powerup, from fusion to new techniques to new transformations which they discovered, the possibilities are endless..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Dragonballgod19
Banned

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:16 am

This is toei were talking about do people really think they will make piccolo relevant?Because they pretty much like to wank goku more than anything

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:22 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:All these designs done by Toriyama?
They are probably a mix of Toriyama, Toyotaro and Yamamuro. I imagine all the important characters are Toriyama and Toyotaro and all of the jobbers are Yamamuro.
That definitely makes sense. I think the super duper important chars like Jiren I think Toriyama solely designed as the solely designed GoDs that Toyo drew ended up being exempt unfortunately.

aravinthan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by aravinthan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:24 am

If they had namekian dragon balls in Uni6, they would have restored Earth using that. Why did Champa bet super dragon ball for our earth??
Lets hope that they will give us some reasons

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:24 am

TheOne wrote:
Yeah you're coming across as a prick. Whether it was his design or not, that doesn't mean he can't get inspiration from it. Who are you to say that Toriyama can't be inspired by something that wasn't his design? We just had a freaking homage to Hulk and Loki with Broly fighting Goku. Yeah it wasn't specifically Toriyama, but you're saying it's not possible for someone to say "hmmm.. that's a neat idea. I might look into that.."

You turned a simple statement about wanting Goku to have a more physical change to making it seem like I wanted a copy and paste of SSJ4. Hop off dude. You're just looking to criticize someone.
If stated fact is 'coming off as prick', fine by me. Why would he take inspiration from a design that he had nothing to do with and goes against the simply designs he has been using. It isn't me 'are you to say that Toriyama can't be inspired by something that wasn't his design'. That fact that Super Saiyan 4 hasn't been seen, mentioned, or doesn't even have a nod like Broly's Super Saiyan form tells me that Toriyama isn't looking towards it, especially since he made the U6 Saiyans have no tails.

This is a discussion form. If you don't want to discuss, then don't reply if you think I am 'just looking to criticize someone'.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:25 am

Terez wrote:
Basako wrote:Cool, we got all names. Well, still missing two for U4, that's gonna be big.
Technically we're only missing one name for U4; we have Damom, though he hasn't been officially revealed yet.
Oh, it's true. I forgot about him. So much mystery about them, it was said Damon has special habilites. Also, Tenshinhan sensed them, maybe it's just they are invisible. Not that big thing.
aravinthan wrote:If they had namekian dragon balls in Uni6, they would have restored Earth using that. Why did Champa bet super dragon ball for our earth??
Lets hope that they will give us some reasons
Gods in U7 didn't know about dragon balls, so maybe in U6 either. Although for some reason he knew about the super dragon balls. But he could have asked for his Earth in the first place... You know, DB...
Last edited by Basako on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Heno heno kappa!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:27 am

aravinthan wrote:If they had namekian dragon balls in Uni6, they would have restored Earth using that. Why did Champa bet super dragon ball for our earth??
The same reason Freeza was killed off in RF only to be brought back AGAIN, the writers didn't think too far into the future.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:28 am

kinisking wrote: Piccolo wanted information out of cell, so that's why he didn't end him in seconds. It's way better than the cockiness/love to fight that the saiyans fuck up with.

The HTC thing kind of seems like a writing issue more than a character issue. It's like blaming Goku for never mentioning it before too. Even if we did blame Piccolo, the only person that would have changed things for was Vegeta and trunks right? They would've fucked it up just like they did in the actual events .
He got his information and he still screwed up killing Piccolo. Even Piccolo admitted that he screwed up. And he did get cocky. If he wasn't, he would have ended Cell the moment he got all the information all out him instead of sitting around talking and bragged about how he played Cell.

As I said before to you, using plot to excuse story doesn't move discussion. In story, Piccolo nor Kami telling no one about the Hyperbolic Time Chamber was foolish. Especially when Piccolo admitted that even with his power he couldn't take on all of the androids. Goku had no way to mentioned it before then since he was in a coma and dead the Saiyan Saga.

Knowing Trunks, he would have gone after the androids, or the androids wouldn't be around Cell so Cell wouldn't get perfect right away after tricking Vegeta.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:31 am

emperior wrote:I'm so hyped for these U6 Namekian fighters! Hopefully they will have a great showing and interactions with Piccolo. I also think they will be evil.

Maybe Piccolo will get a power-up thanks to them? It doesn't have to be fusion, they might know some way to get stronger which Piccolo doesn't.
Wishful thinking: One of them sows off a Namekian Transformation and smugly eliminates Piccolo, thus pushing him to seek out this transformation after the tournament.

Namekians could offer an interesting fight considering Gohan's training showed us that Piccolo can still control his limbs when maimed. Now, I'm just imagining one of the Namekians playing football with the other's head, bouncing it around so the head can fire blasts at opponents.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:44 am

I wonder if there is any specific reason the namekians were made to look exactly like Piccolo and Lord slug..
It's not like it isn't possible to make them look different, we saw many respectably different designs at planet namek
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:25 am

Boo Machine wrote:
Akyon wrote:I think it's fine to not like a character, but some users spend way too much time posting about how much they hate that character at every opportunity whilst talking about how wonderful their character of choice is like it's some sort of political party or sports club.

I imagine for a Goku fan, this "Goku is awful" at every turn must be getting a little tedious by now.
It gets border line creepy when I see people write about these violent kill fantasies they have for certain characters. "I want so and so to have their skull crushed and their brains scooped up with a spoon and then eaten. Then have their heart ripped out and be worn as a hat because that's what they deserve."

I don't mind the dislike of a character, but I'd find it a lot easier of people could learn to relax a little bit. We're all fans of the same franchise. It doesn't have to be an "Us vs them" situation all the time.
Oh fuck, this shit was funny as hell. :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol:
HeroR wrote:
Akyon wrote:Didn't we have a Dragonball Popularity Poll handy for this?

I'm pretty sure Goku was the most popular character in the poll by a decent margin.
Asked and you shall received. From Dragon Ball Forever in 2004. This is Japan only:

Best Characters
1.Son Goku: 6,235 points
2.Vegeta: 2,527 points
3.Son Gohan: 2,131 points
4.Trunks: 1,487 points
5.Piccolo: 1,176 points
6.Son Goten: 798 points
7.Kuririn: 736 points
8.Majin Buu: 421 points
9.Freeza: 324 points
10.Android No.18: 204 points
11.Mister Satan: 201 points
12.Karin-sama: 185
13.Kame-sennin: 172 points
14.Cell: 170 points
15.Yamcha: 163 points
16.Tenshinhan: 125
17.Bulma: 112 points
18.Android No.17: 98 points
19.Yajirobe: 93 points
20.Videl: 86 points

I remember back in the 90s Goku was usually one or two since Vegeta is almost equal to Goku in popularity in the US.

Overall, there is no evidence of Goku being 'hated'. Unless you compared him to Superman who has a very loud and vocal group of people who hates him, which makes people believe he's unpopular, when the opposite is true.
Why don't you post the latest poll?

http://bfc.bpnavi.jp/z-tenkaichi6/

1-Goku ssj3-2,612
2-Goku ssj2-2,342
3-A-18-1,620
4-Shenron-1,476
5-Vegeta ssj blue-1,790
6-Gotenks-1,233
7-Mecha Fieza-1,186
8-Vegeta ssj1-1,170
9-Tenshinhan-1,127
10-Goku ssj blue-1,082
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:Oh my god. Paparoni! That tickles me.
I'm having a good laugh at Sirlion. :lol:
Sirlion? I thought it was Sirloin. :roll:

Rhuagh wrote:More Namekuseijin is one of the major things I wanted from this arc, so I'm very happy.

I want the guy that looks like Piccolo to be convinced to merge with him, to make The Green Machine even more special and powerful. Piccolo is already a combination of different types of Namekuseijin (dragon-clan and fighter), now he can add a Namek from a different universe to that.

WTF? That shit is not going to happen, if there is a merge it will be between Saonera and Pirina since they are fighting for the universe 6.
omaro34 wrote:THANK YOU WE FINALLY GET TO SEE SOME NAMEKIANS GOOD LORD I THOUGHT THIS WOULD NEVER HAPPEN IN THIS SHOW

This will have something to do with Piccolo no doubt. Excited to see how this plays out.
And with Tenshinhan since he was the only one who sensed them.

Ki Breaker wrote:There are two new namekians, this is a golden opportunity to have piccolo powerup, from fusion to new techniques to new transformations which they discovered, the possibilities are endless..
Piccolo is not going to power up with enemies.