List of Dragonball media releases by region.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Akira
Regular

List of Dragonball media releases by region.

Post by Akira » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Hello everyone, I had a new topic idea that I've been curious about for a while now. I'm interested in hearing from our members from other regions of the globe (as well as any North American based members with info on the subject). I've kept up with Funimation's releases all these years in my own country, and have a basic knowledge of what's been made available in the United Kingdom via Manga entertainment, and Australia via Madman entertainment. I've seen posts every so often where a Europe based member posted about the original DB movies being released on Blu-ray there, or certain French or Italian releases with certain features/aspect ratios and whatnot. I just don't know what else is out there that I might want to obtain for my own collection.

As such, I thought it may be an interesting topic. Kanzenshuu has a home video release guide for everything that has come out in the United States since the earlier days of DVD. I would like for members from other regions to perhaps share about their releases in this thread. What is available in your home territory that others might not have in theirs? What region coding do these releases have, what subtitle tracks or audio tracks in what languages does it offer, what aspect ratio are they in, or what masters were used as a source for your version of any DB series, movie or special? Then, we would have an interesting reference thread for anyone curious about what else is out there. I know I am really interested in this, and look forward to any and all responses.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: List of Dragonball media releases by region.

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:50 am

In Australia and New Zealand, we've basically gotten the Funimation releases of the series such as the Orange Bricks, the DBZ Blu-rays and the Double (and Broly Triple) movie packs. But there are some releases that Madman have gone out of their way to create themselves.

Dragon Ball DVD Collections:
[spoiler]ImageImage[/spoiler]
This was basically a collection of Funimation's Blue Bricks but with its own packaging.

Dragon Ball Z Complete Collection Blu-ray (also available on DVD):
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The Blu-ray collection contains the Funimation DBZ Blu-rays and the DVD contains the Orange Bricks.

Dragon Ball Z Super Saiyan God Double Pack Blu-ray (also available on DVD):
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
This is basically just the 2 latest movie Blu-rays with a neat little slip cover over it.

Dragon Ball Z Remastered Movie Collection DVDs:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
A complete collection of Funimation's Double Movie (and Broly Triple) sets.

And now there's the Dragon Ball Z Super Saiyan Movie Collection DVDs:
This is an odd collection. It existed as promotion for Dragon Ball Z Resurrection 'F' releasing in theatres. You can find more details about it in this thread.

Dragon Ball Super Blu-ray Part 1 (also available on DVD):
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
We are also getting the Blu-ray with Funimation's packaging, but this is exclusive packaging for when you purchase the Blu-ray at JB Hi-Fi.

There are definitely some more that I'm missing, but those are the ones that stood out to me. The Dragon Ball Z Blu-ray and DVD Collections 1 and 2 are coming out soon, I'll be sure to post the artwork on this thread once it comes out.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:42 am

Super Saiyan Swagger, thank you for the write up. That is really cool that they release complete sets and collector packages like that in Australia. Aside from the Dragonball GT large green brick (Both sets together with a large slip cover), and a large box set of the thin-case releases of the Z movies that was supposedly available at some warehouse club stores here, I don't know that we have anything like that here in North America as far as complete collection sets. I'm curious, did Madman ever release the Dragonball movies there, or any of the newer specials (Return of Son Goku and his Friends, Episode of Bardock, etc) in your region? Thanks again for the contribution to the thread, it is very interesting to see the differences in releases.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:52 am

Akira wrote:Super Saiyan Swagger, thank you for the write up. That is really cool that they release complete sets and collector packages like that in Australia. Aside from the Dragonball GT large green brick (Both sets together with a large slip cover), and a large box set of the thin-case releases of the Z movies that was supposedly available at some warehouse club stores here, I don't know that we have anything like that here in North America as far as complete collection sets. I'm curious, did Madman ever release the Dragonball movies there, or any of the newer specials (Return of Son Goku and his Friends, Episode of Bardock, etc) in your region? Thanks again for the contribution to the thread, it is very interesting to see the differences in releases.
Actually, they did! Totally forgot to mention this.

Dragon Ball Movie Collection DVD:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Strangely enough, this doesn't include the first Dragon Ball movie. That movie was included in Collection 1 of the Dragon Ball series DVD set that I brought up in my previous post.

None of the newer specials got released here (wish they did though).

I should have also mentioned that we got a Dragon Ball Z Kai Complete Collection on Blu-ray and DVD:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
This is probably my favourite. Kinda strange that they called it a "Complete Collection" when it didn't even include the Buu arc. :lol: It's my favourite purely because Kai is my preferred way of watching Z and this is just sooo much better than buying Kai in parts. I hate purchasing a series in parts of 13 episodes in a single release, but it's all here in this collection.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:00 am

I will list all french release
First gen masters dvd released french only and censored

this one have the 3 first movie using old master footage and all z movies
contain only french footage some are cut , for the z they are similar to the big green dub dvd release (as it is AB group)
those are singles only and
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Dragon Ball french censored dvd
that can be seen on single or repackaged on few box (exist differrent repackaging but with the same content)
french audio only , censored , old master footage with old colors degrade differrently
french opening and sometimes japanese (it's random on the dvd)

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Dragon Ball z single and repackaged box
the same as dragon ball there is a collection of singles and repackaged box of those french dvd with allways the same content inside
censored (it's not the less censored french version as i seen more complete episodes on tv or VHS) old master with differrent colors
french audios only and use differrent opening ending sometimes french, sometimes japanese but not following the way they were saw on japanese tv or dvd

dragon ball gt single and box

french audios only, old master crappy transfer , some cuts but use real opening, ending from the japanese airing
it's the only dragon ball gt release in france even if an uncut and remastered version using next episode preview, episode title and eyecatch completely dub in french was shown on a french channel named mangas on 2010

only one gt dvd was released with dual audios uncut (i never got this one) contain ep 1-4 only
no idea about the footage

dragon ball movie 4
2 dvd were made of this one
-1 french only censored old master footage
-1 dual audio uncut+cut version old master footage

NEW GENERATIONS

Dragon ball, z, movies remastered french dragon box
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
they used dragon box masters even without the best compression
they are dual audios with french subs uncut episodes and the less censored french dubbed used on them

the movies are dual audios , uncut but the first box are 16/9 except for tv special 1 (movies 1-3 and db movies 1-2-3)
the 2nd box have movies 7-13 uncut fullscreen with remastered transfer + tv special 2 + gt tv special

Battle of gods
dvd and blu-ray extended version only with 2 audios

fukkatsu no f
dvd and bluray

dual audio theatrical edition

a new edition allways in awaiting released cause to toei negociation and that will contain each extended edition of the two movies (even the extended for the fukkatsu no f) and new tv special with french dub
no release date for the moment it is allways delayed

Dragon ball kai
dvd version from ab
16/9 uncut dual audios with kikuchi bgm cover 1-98
dvd version from kaze
never seen them but i supposed only a repackaging of AB group one also dual audios and widescreen

The final chapters dual audios 16/9 (international version)
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Dragon Ball Kai Bluray intégrale kaze
dual audios 16/9
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
here is all i know for the french release

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:38 am

HakkaiBills93, that was some in depth coverage of the French releases, thank you for that contribution. It is very interesting to me to learn about these other releases. I appreciate the time you took to describe what each release included, that was very cool. Some of the cover art on your earlier releases was questionable choices for them, as in Super Saiyans in the backgrounds of non super saiyan features and whatnot, but some of it was really cool and unique artwork too. I liked the cover that had Garlic Junior on it and the Slug/Turles cover too, those are really neat in my opinion. Thanks again for the info!

Super Saiyan Swagger, Thank you for the update on the original DB releases from your region. Did your version of DB Movie 2 have the earlier source master like our first release on DVD in the USA? I know our current pack of "remastered" versions has some serious frame rate issues, so much so that I was glad I still had the original release of it. It is my favorite of the original DB films, yet releases of it in North America are scarce, and of varying quality. It'd really like to see a blu-ray release of it someday without issues. Thanks again for the additional information.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:29 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Actually, they did! Totally forgot to mention this.

Dragon Ball Movie Collection DVD:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Strangely enough, this doesn't include the first Dragon Ball movie. That movie was included in Collection 1 of the Dragon Ball series DVD set that I brought up in my previous post.
Sounds like you had gotten a repackaging of this set.
https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Movie-3-p ... B0010YSD3G

Curse of the Blood Rubies was excluded because Funimation hadn't yet dubbed it at the time. (It's also just the single releases of those three movies bundled in a box.) We got an updated release a few years later with all four movies.
https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Comp ... 004DMIISC/

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:21 am

It is odd, but that first set is an unfortunate necessity if you want a watchable version of DB movie 2. The version included in the four movie set has serious frame rate issues, making it nearly unwatchable. I was so disappointed when I purchased that set because I primarily wanted it for the proposed "remaster" of movie 2, which happens to be the weak point of the set. If I ever find out that there is a newer version of the film available out there without the frame rate problems, I'll definitely be looking to import it.

It is one of my favorite features, and was one of the first VHS tapes that I purchased back when Dragonball media started hitting the USA way back when. It is the only original DB movie to never receive a single release on its own, (aside from the early VHS release I mentioned) and on DVD format only saw release as part of these two box sets we're talking about. Even then, only the version included with the first box set is worth having, making it feel like the biggest afterthought, and under-appreciated film in the whole franchise. Maybe some day, some company, somewhere will give it a proper updated release. Until then, I'll hold tight onto my copy of the film from that first box set.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:27 am

Poland:
- Complete manga with very accurate translation
- DBZ Movie 1, 2, 3 on VHS with Polish voice over and French dub (Translation is on Big Green dub level)
- DBZ Movie 12-13 on VHS/DVD, Polish dub only

Chess
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Cards in Chio Chips
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Album cards in Star Foods chocolate bars
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:45 am

Thanks for the info Coola, do you have any pictures of the Polish DVD releases? That chess set looks pretty cool, although having a bunch of Gotens for pawns would bother me I think.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:09 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:In Australia and New Zealand, we've basically gotten the Funimation releases of the series such as the Orange Bricks, the DBZ Blu-rays and the Double (and Broly Triple) movie packs. But there are some releases that Madman have gone out of their way to create themselves.

This was basically a collection of Funimation's Blue Bricks but with its own packaging.
I don't want to be "That Guy", but to be more accurate, it's a repackage of the individual 2-Disc Saga sets. To say it's basically the Blue Bricks repackaged would be incorrect as it's a different transfer with it's own pros and cons regarding the Picture quality.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:16 am

LordCrumb wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:In Australia and New Zealand, we've basically gotten the Funimation releases of the series such as the Orange Bricks, the DBZ Blu-rays and the Double (and Broly Triple) movie packs. But there are some releases that Madman have gone out of their way to create themselves.

I don't want to be "That Guy", but to be more accurate, it's a repackage of the individual 2-Disc Saga sets. To say it's basically the Blue Bricks repackaged would be incorrect as it's a different transfer with it's own pros and cons regarding the Picture quality.
Ah whoops, my bad. Thanks for correcting me.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:10 pm

Lord Crumb, No worries, we want people to be "that guy" in this thread. The purpose is to get accurate information about releases from various regions. Super Saiyan Swagger obviously took no offense to it. He was just going on his best guess based on what USA releases he'd read about. Any additional footnotes of that variety are welcomed here. I'm really enjoying checking out the box art and hearing from my fellow fans around the globe in this thread share about their collections, and what is available in other places.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:07 pm

Sorry for the slight thread bump, but I'm looking into getting a region-free DVD player here fairly soon, and I wanted to ask to make sure (though looking through the thread does suggest that there isn't yet) - there's still no official release (as in legally licensed, not bootleg, etc.) of the JSAT special, Episode of Bardock, and/or Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans, with English subtitles, is there? Been trying to look into it on Amazon from companies like MangaUK or Madman, but not seeing anything popping up.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:33 pm

Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans and Episode of Bardock are on the Dragon Ball Raging Blast 2 and Dragon Ball Z for Kinect games respectively with subtitles. If we're talking strictly dvd or blu-ray releases, then unfortunately not.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Tue May 07, 2019 6:36 pm

I'm necroposting my own topic back from the grave. Rather than create a new similar thread, I remembered this one had a lot of interesting information already, and wanted to continue where we'd left off. How is the release structure looking in your part of the world everyone? Has anyone had any of the more obscure Dragonball materials released in their region? What about different formats (Stuff on Blu-ray where it still only exists on DVD elsewhere) or something unique about a specific release that you think might make it desirable to collectors elsewhere in the world? We'd love to hear about it. I, for one, am interested in updated releases of DB Movie 2, or any of the specials that have never been released individually in my region (North America) outside of video game extras.

I heard the Dragonball Super Broly Movie was released in the Netherlands was it? The bit I read also stated that it did not have the green tint issue other regions have, and also has english subtitles. Who can provide more info on that? Any release that has English subtitles as an option interests me. Be sure to share and let us know a bit more about what is available where you live. It is fascinating stuff.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu May 09, 2019 12:38 pm

Man, the spoiler codes are broken as hell. The comments are bigger than they should be.

Anyway, I'll cover the Spanish, Portuguese and British releases of Dragon Ball below. But I won't cover the previous releases, e.g. Warner Vision International (Britain), Salvat (Spain) or Manga Films (Spain) because the newer ones are far better.

—Britain — Manga UK

[Series]

[Movies & TV Specials]

— Spain — Selecta Visión

[Series]

[Movies & TV Specials]

— Portugal — Prisvídeo

[Movies]