Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:10 pm

Ok episode.

I'm glad C17, Ribrianne and Rozie are still in. It would be a waste to eliminate them already. I also like how they are using Jimeze.
Good character usage overall.

I'm starting to believe the "Don't let your guard down" line is a meme between the writers.

Botamo fights are always boring, but Gohan vs Obuni was cool. The lock pendant scene was a good addition. I like how they are showing these fighters have something more personal to protect besides their Universe. Good reflection of Gohan.

I'm pretty sure Obuni's son could be cuter though. WTF was that?! :lol:

2016-2017 RIP Gowasu
He and Zamasu were the only interesting Kaioshins.

Shot out to Cus. The only Angel that so far cares about her team.

Next episode is all that matters.
Doctor. wrote: I'm half-expecting Goku to fire off a feet Kamehameha when he's about to get knocked off, but that would be expecting too much creativity from this show.
It's possible because unlike Z where characters would forget their abilities, Super actually remembers what they can do. There's nothing creative about reusing an old move though.
Creativity is to do new things like the magical girls of Universe 2 and Obni's ability in this episode.

Pretty sure if they did the feet kamehameha anyway some would call it fanservice, while others would call it bullshit because they never watched DB.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:14 pm

I think the writers and the animators bit off more than they could chew. They overestimated their abilities on how to handle the battle royal and now the show is suffering for it.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:16 pm

You know what I've always wanted? A mouth kamehameha. Nappa and Gotenks have shown it would be possible.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:24 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:You know what I've always wanted? A mouth kamehameha. Nappa and Gotenks have shown it would be possible.
Kid Trunks is the only character I can picture using it. Not even Goku is that crude.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:I think the writers and the animators bit off more than they could chew. They overestimated their abilities on how to handle the battle royal and now the show is suffering for it.
For a reason Togashi did a battle royal with the length of 1 chapter in YYH, even he wouldnt handle long battle royal and he is one of the best mangakas in the industry.

Another mistake is Toei wanting to make Jiren their version of the Younger Toguro.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:53 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:I think the writers and the animators bit off more than they could chew. They overestimated their abilities on how to handle the battle royal and now the show is suffering for it.
The show isn't suffering at all. The only problem is not showing the other universes fight each other, it's like everyone is standing around just waiting for their turn to attack Universe 7.

If it weren't for that oddity, everything is progressing swimmingly.

Acetona
Beyond Newbie

Post by Acetona » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:57 pm

Not much to say about this episode. I loved Piccolo's action, sure it was bland, but he barely does anything, so...
Gohan's fight was meh, but I liked his reaction when he saw the U10 guy's family photo
キミもテイマーをめざせ!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:02 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: I probably wouldn't survive watching an anime paced like DBZ, episode by episode, now compared to when I was a kid though. Honestly, who would? I enjoy Kai very much so.
I would! I have a thing for the original Z anime, no matter how terrible is its pacing :)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:07 pm

If the production went to flames I would agree with you, but they are doing a great job and overall everything looks consistently good enough, so I don't.
They can't please people with unrealistic expectations though.

If people came to watch this battle royal of 80 fighters expecting all the new characters to have backstories, long battles, every fighter to be on-screen always in every episode, and Universe 6/7 the two Universes the audience know the most not have the spotlight, then it's their fault. No other show would do that either.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Acetona
Beyond Newbie

Post by Acetona » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Noah wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote: I probably wouldn't survive watching an anime paced like DBZ, episode by episode, now compared to when I was a kid though. Honestly, who would? I enjoy Kai very much so.
I would! I have a thing for the original Z anime, no matter how terrible is its pacing :)
Considering you seem to like Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters very much, I can't doubt about it :lol:
As for me, I could watch it, but probably would dislike the powerup only episodes, like the Kaioken one against Ginyu
キミもテイマーをめざせ!

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:46 pm

Ah, good ol' Kanzenshuu. Never fails to make me laugh how whenever I come here people paint a dire picture of the show like it's all gone to shit it's all fucked everyone hates it the show is suffering etc.

Then you go anywhere else and people are in love with it.

Not to say it doesn't have its problems though. This battle royale could have surely been done better thus far by giving us more viewpoints and more focus on other universes besides 6 and 7, but what we have is still pretty decent. I agree that the arc has not entirely met some people's realistic expectations and I don't fault people for getting upset that those expectations were not met. I half agree/half disagree with the comments talking about the lack of focus in the tournament especially. I can definitely see how this tournament could be better had we had episodes that weren't just kind of all over the place in terms of who we're following and who they're fighting, although what we have now isn't all that terrible like some are making it out to be. On the other hand regarding expectations that aren't realistic though...

The mystery still remains. Where are Kanzenshuu members getting all these other expectations from? Surely the Future Trunks arc was not the pinnacle of this entire franchise to where people expect such incredible things to follow the example set by that arc. Especially given its insanely controversial ending. :think:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:56 pm

This scene is really depressingImage Image
Mostly active on discord.

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:23 pm

Can Botamo Fight? Like, does he have a plan outside of letting his opponent punch him too exhaustion? Is he so big that he's incapable of attacking someone smaller who's punching at his belly?

This is what happens when you don't place limits on abilities. So far, no breaking point has been shown as to Botamo's ability. How strong do you have to be to break through? How much ki and stamina does it take from him if any? If this ability's power is limitless, you're putting the character in a position where he can't competently fight back, else he becomes overpowered. If for no more than aesthetics, I'd much rather there'd be a limit to Botamo's resistance that forces him to have to actually engage his opponent.

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:27 pm

The episode was ok.

Best thing about it was the Yardrat not only saving 2 of his teammates, but also eliminating Jilcol who was for some reason a "key player" for Universe 10 according to magazine..

Other things I liked were Ribrianne seemingly being equal to 17, the Goku vs Rozie fight and the ending with Universe 10 getting erased. Poor Cus.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:45 pm

Asura wrote:
KingKaash wrote:I can't believe Dyspo...
I don't know if this is a spoiler or if it's just your prediction for what will happen, but if it is a spoiler please refrain from talking about spoilers in the episode discussion threads in the future, thanks.
It was in the preview. I thought everyone who comments on this thread has seen the episode and the preview to the next episode that airs right after the show has ended. Everyone is talking about SSJG which is also in the next episode so I assumed it's safe to talk about
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:46 pm

KingKaash wrote:
Asura wrote:
I don't know if this is a spoiler or if it's just your prediction for what will happen, but if it is a spoiler please refrain from talking about spoilers in the episode discussion threads in the future, thanks.
It was in the preview. I thought everyone who comments on this thread has seen the episode and the preview to the next episode that airs right after the show has ended. Everyone is talking about SSJG which is also in the next episode so I assumed it's safe to talk about
Anything in the next episode preview should be fair game. Anything you're reading from other sources like episode titles and previews from magazines and leaks should have no place here, save that for the announcement thread. I haven't read your comments to avoid potential spoilers but if this applies to you please just respect peoples wishes.

Anyway this episode was solid. Gowasu had some good character development which makes it sad he is gone, but based on the stuff before the tournament it was clear to me at least this Universe would be gone early.

Really enjoyed Goku's energy blast entrapment early on against Rosie then his finishing blast. 17 was cool once again even though the reused scenes in the first half of the episode really dampened my excitement a bit.

The yardrat eliminating someone was cool but that was so quick I actually had to rewind animelab to catch up with what happened, could have used a few more seconds there. I'm really curious to see what's up with that Yardrat, I think he defected over from Universe 6 or 7 as it doesn't make much sense for Universe 2 to have it's own Yardrat based on the explanation of the Universe Lore we have at the moment.

I enjoyed the locket thing with Gohan even if just reminded me of Spiderman 3 haha. The fight was decent as well and I liked Gohan's strategy of taking hits to get the counter. We will see if that foreshadowing comment from Whis about him taking damage will come into play later, I really felt Whis was overselling the damage it was doing, Gohan seemed fine.

It's conflicting to see Gohan basically be forced to fight for survival here. He still doesn't have the heart of a fighter but knows what has to be done even if it eats him up inside. He is destroying families for the sake of his own family.

Really hated how Botamo got eliminated, just by being slightly raised off the ground? Raises too many needless questions about his ability and just makes Botamo a completly useless character in my eyes with no redeeming qualities. And what happened to his tag team with Magetta why didn't he stay like that while it was working?

Another big downside was Piccolo using the Hellzone Grenade/Scattershot technique. This sucks because it should have been epic but it seems like we've seen that attack three times in the last two episodes (and this episode as well) which really took away how awesome that call back would have been. Don't know how the writers messed that one up.

Apart from that solid episode, I got excited a few times but for most of it I was just along for the ride. Super hyped for next week, its been about 90 episodes since we last saw SSG Goku, and he is gonna team up with Hit?! Bring it on.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:01 pm

TysonWine wrote:Can Botamo Fight? Like, does he have a plan outside of letting his opponent punch him too exhaustion? Is he so big that he's incapable of attacking someone smaller who's punching at his belly?

This is what happens when you don't place limits on abilities. So far, no breaking point has been shown as to Botamo's ability. How strong do you have to be to break through? How much ki and stamina does it take from him if any? If this ability's power is limitless, you're putting the character in a position where he can't competently fight back, else he becomes overpowered. If for no more than aesthetics, I'd much rather there'd be a limit to Botamo's resistance that forces him to have to actually engage his opponent.
Id actually prefer if it was something like his defense doesnt work while he is attacking. Too late.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:12 pm

sintzu wrote:
Miracles wrote: Goku's saiyan trait of enjoying the distracts his focus.
However Vegeta needs to relax a little for his improvement.
Lets see if any of them breech these weaknesses.
These issues were never in the original. Goku was always a great fighter from day 1 yet out of nowhere everyone can get the drop on him.

Vegeta's issues were his overconfidence, this whole relaxing thing is new and makes 0 sense.

The real issue here is that they're using characters who've had their arcs concluded by the end of the manga but in order to keep the show going they need to find some ways to make it seem like they still have growing to do so they're either making up issues or going over old ones.
Vegeta always loses his cool and calm judgment when things get bad.
This is what Whis alluded too. His senses get on edge and he can't think or react straight.
Piccolo even mentioned this when he fought Perfect Cell.
Goku does get careless, he gets overconfident in his powers and other situations.
For example, being overconfident in Gohan vs Cell, vs Majin Vegeta, etc.The themes are continued.
Last edited by Miracles on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:14 pm

KingKaash wrote:
Asura wrote:
Ah, sorry then. The way I read it made it seem like you possibly had inside information about Dyspo being knocked out. That's why I said I didn't know if you were just predicting he'd be knocked out or if you actually knew for certain due to spoilers.

NEP is definitely fair game, no worries.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:14 pm

sintzu wrote:
Basako wrote:Looks it will be about speed, so SSG may really have this advantage, also the stamina.
So he uses Blue on weak fighters like u9 but when it comes to someone stronger than Hit he uses a weaker form ?
Goku only used Blue to knock out three Danger bros along with Vegeta.
He used Blue on Kale and got bodied. We know Goku was holding back, as usual.
Last edited by Miracles on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.