"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Zeru14 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:04 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:I'd really like Piccolo to grow strong without some new transformation or absorbing someone.
One word "Merchandise" , the reason most of the cast isn't being used for anything because they don't sell. That's why transformations and power ups help, for cards, posters, figures etc.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:39 am

Problem with Piccolo is he's only one step above the human fighters now, and that's it. He was treated similarly in the Buu saga where his only role was basically to mentor Trunks and Goten with them fusing into Gotenks. The way Piccolo has been treated in Super is not any different than Krillin, Tenshinhan or Roshi. He's there for only two arcs (Return of F and this tournament arc), but only really there for a few fights.

If it also wasn't due to Piccolo's relation to Gohan we'd probably see even less of him.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:44 am

Zeru14 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:I'd really like Piccolo to grow strong without some new transformation or absorbing someone.
One word "Merchandise" , the reason most of the cast isn't being used for anything because they don't sell. That's why transformations and power ups help, for cards, posters, figures etc.

Darn I keep getting reminded of things I wanted to mention and other beat me to the point. Yes, one of the deciding factors has to be merchandising. But I've always thought that Piccolo sells well. I think I've read some years ago (like a million years ago, so I don't think I could find that article to save my life) that Piccolo figures sell well in Germany/Europe (?) And I keep seeing him on merchandise. I mean, I swear, if the reason they don't do anything significant with him because "Naw, his toys do well enough, no need to put in extra animation money for him" I'll riot.

KuririnNoKotoKa

Post by KuririnNoKotoKa » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:08 am

Where did this idea that a Dragon Ball show of all things is merchandising driven?

Are people genuinely forgetting that this franchise lived of merch and games for for 16 years, even through Kai which was proven to bring merch sales down? Toy manufacturers in Japan have been doing literal palette swaps of figures well before the revived material was even a spec of an idea in anyone's eyes and it still sold like hotcakes.

The Dragon Ball brand sells itself. Creative decisions that happen in the series are that: creative decisions, be it for the better or worse.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:12 am

I too want to believe that creative decision aren't influenced by anything other than story ideas, but that's not always how this industry works. I don't keep up with this type of information, but if it's true that Kai brought sales down, and Kai was recent, then they'd want to do something to bring them back up.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:21 am

I think people are worried about Dragonball turning into the next Simpsons or Pokemon, and becoming a never-ending series that just goes on and on with no real ending in sight. Dragonball is not that type of show and should end again.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:30 am

KuririnNoKotoKa wrote:Where did this idea that a Dragon Ball show of all things is merchandising driven?

Are people genuinely forgetting that this franchise lived of merch and games for for 16 years, even through Kai which was proven to bring merch sales down? Toy manufacturers in Japan have been doing literal palette swaps of figures well before the revived material was even a spec of an idea in anyone's eyes and it still sold like hotcakes.

The Dragon Ball brand sells itself. Creative decisions that happen in the series are that: creative decisions, be it for the better or worse.
While I agree that some decisions may have been created to sell merchandise, like Super Saiyan Berserk, fans do overstate how much Super is influence by the market. Super isn't Transformers.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

KuririnNoKotoKa

Post by KuririnNoKotoKa » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:41 am

Michsi wrote:I too want to believe that creative decision aren't influenced by anything other than story ideas, but that's not always how this industry works. I don't keep up with this type of information, but if it's true that Kai brought sales down, and Kai was recent, then they'd want to do something to bring them back up.
I'm pretty sure a new show with Mr. Toriyama's name attached to it is plenty to generate interest for a lot of the fanbase. The toy sales come as consequence of that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't any influence whatsoever, but I just find it incredibly naive to think that toy licensees have any say on actual major story decisions.

Also, Kai wasn't recent. It started airing in April 2009 in Japan. We are heading for a decade of it's original run.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:57 am

Grimlock wrote:
Shinda Forever wrote:Nameks can't transform sorry to disappoint you.
Care to provide any official source stating they can't?
Universe 6 Saiyans never knew they could transform.
Michsi wrote:
Zeru14 wrote:

Darn I keep getting reminded of things I wanted to mention and other beat me to the point. Yes, one of the deciding factors has to be merchandising. But I've always thought that Piccolo sells well. I think I've read some years ago (like a million years ago, so I don't think I could find that article to save my life) that Piccolo figures sell well in Germany/Europe (?) And I keep seeing him on merchandise. I mean, I swear, if the reason they don't do anything significant with him because "Naw, his toys do well enough, no need to put in extra animation money for him" I'll riot.
Piccolo has a lot of merchandise so he must sell well.
precita wrote:Problem with Piccolo is he's only one step above the human fighters now, and that's it. He was treated similarly in the Buu saga where his only role was basically to mentor Trunks and Goten with them fusing into Gotenks. The way Piccolo has been treated in Super is not any different than Krillin, Tenshinhan or Roshi. He's there for only two arcs (Return of F and this tournament arc), but only really there for a few fights.

If it also wasn't due to Piccolo's relation to Gohan we'd probably see even less of him.
If he is irrelevant to you in Dragon Ball Super than Gohan must be.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:32 am

KuririnNoKotoKa wrote: Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't any influence whatsoever, but I just find it incredibly naive to think that toy licensees have any say on actual major story decisions.

Also, Kai wasn't recent. It started airing in April 2009 in Japan. We are heading for a decade of it's original run.
It's recent enough if you take into consideration it's entire run and the thirty year existence of this franchise.

As much as I'd like to think otherwise, I've seen a lot of sources state just how much the merchandise part matters when it comes to the animation industry, so I've come to accept it as an integral part of it. Apparently, DBS as a show isn't selling a lot of copies and it's not the ratings juggernaut DBZ was, so the money has to come from somewhere.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:35 am

KuririnNoKotoKa wrote:Where did this idea that a Dragon Ball show of all things is merchandising driven?

Because GT was killed for that exact reason.

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:03 am

Something i just realized, it's pretty obvious that someone is going to wish all the universes back because of one scene. Gowasu goes into the future with zamasu and their universe is still intact.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:04 am

1 hour DB TV special this fall, we're getting the key visual next week.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:09 am

ArchedThunder wrote:1 hour DB TV special this fall, we're getting the key visual next week.
Apparently it might be a OP crossover if so zzz.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:17 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:1 hour DB TV special this fall, we're getting the key visual next week.
Yeah, I'd rather they did something relating to the tournament than to have another cross-over with One-Piece.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:30 am

It's 2 1 hours specials over 2 weeks, I'm not so sure it's a crossover. If it was a crossover I'd think they'd just do a 2 hour special like the most recent One Piece special.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:34 am

The new TV Special has me hyped.
I really hope it will be a Dragon Ball Super special and not a cross-over with OP though I wouldn't complain if it's a cross-over, it's still new DB content.
If it is a Super special, I'm crossing my fingers it will be the U6 tournament re-made as a special, so that I would get my beloved Future Trunks arc remade as a special next.
Last edited by emperior on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:34 am

ArchedThunder wrote:It's 2 1 hours specials over 2 weeks, I'm not so sure it's a crossover. If it was a crossover I'd think they'd just do a 2 hour special like the most recent One Piece special.
My hope for a TV special come true. I hope it's an adaption of the Jaco manga and maybe Minus (although I far less hopeful on that one).
emperior wrote:The new TV Special has me hyped.
I really hope it will be a Dragon Ball Super special and not a cross-over with OP though I wouldn't complain if it's a cross-over, it's still new DB content.
If it is a Super special, I'm crossing my fingers it will be the U6 tournament re-made as a special, so that I would get my beloved Future Trunks arc remade as a special next.
That would be extremely lame.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:36 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Cross Epoch? Please?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:37 am

emperior wrote:The new TV Special has me hyped.
I'd like Trunks' Buu arc turned into a special, use the manga chapter as a basis but make the changes needed to fit it into the anime universe.