Super Episode 104 (20 August 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Username2016

Re: Super Episode 104 (20 August 2017)

Post by Username2016 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:00 am

SSG is back. The best Super Saiyan design form. They didn't give explanations of HOW Goku got it back but at least they gave a reason WHY he's using it. My theory Goku learned it through by suppressing the SSB form hard enough he can transform to SSG since they're both "God" forms and use god ki.

We learned SSB has more power AND endurance (Goku surviving the explosions in SSB form) while SSG consumes less Stamina (and the healing factor that admittly could make Goku REALLY OP yet, this was never brought up since the healing factor first appeared)

Caulifia being a bitch as usual. She tells Kale to shut up when Kale warned her that they're damaged and need to recover. Plus, Caulifla is already weak af compared to Hit and Goku AND the fact that Cauliflia took damage and barely has any stamina. Goku should've eliminated Caulifla when he had the chance. Cocky bastard

Toppo drops the justice act and gets completely serious. I gotta admit when Toppo said "Enough!" and decided to completely drop the "Justice" act you know shit was getting serious.

The fighting in general was creative and had strategy

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:00 am

MajinMan wrote:The Universe Survival arc OST is the best that Sumitomo has ever come up with for Dragon Ball.
Pardon, but what? I don't remember any track in this current arc that was better than the previous one.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:01 am

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:05 am

Definitely the best episode of the tournament so far. Hit reminded me why he's such a badass. He had so many cool lines and so many cool moments.

Loved that Champa pointed out how Dyspo looks like Beerus, finally someone said it. :lol: Good call having Goku transform into SSG off screen. I also really liked how he quickly changed to Blue while fighting. Nice reference to Toyotaro's manga.

I think this is the only episode of the tournament where I liked the cutaways to the gods, cause they either had something funny or interesting to say. Champa with a vuvuzela was something that I didn't know I wanted until I saw it.

Loved the new music that played in this episode. Went really well with the action.

Thoroughly enjoyed the episode. Not too keen on the next episode though. I appreciate that they're giving some spotlight to side characters like Roshi, but it just doesn't look that interesting.
Last edited by Super Saiyan Swagger on Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:05 am

I really enjoyed this episode. Had a smile on my face the whole time.

Also, did they give Hit a new visual for his time-skip?
Feels over Reals.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:07 am

Chuquita's gonna be happy!

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:09 am

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:Not surprised, it isn't explained how Goku can now use SSG again. That being said, kinda miffed how Goku ended up using Vegeta's strategy in the manga and how now he gets the credit for it lol.

That being said, wow, what an episode. It went by fast for me, and it was hella nice seeing focus on Hit again. :) But it seems Goku vs Hit is more like than Vegeta vs Hit like I wanted to see... oh well. I guess Vegeta vs all the U6 Saiyans and then maybe Toppo (or Dispo)?
I don't think so. If Hitto doesn't go down to Vegeta, Hitto will likely get bodied by Jiren before he and Goku get their rematch.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:10 am

Jigurashi wrote:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:Not surprised, it isn't explained how Goku can now use SSG again. That being said, kinda miffed how Goku ended up using Vegeta's strategy in the manga and how now he gets the credit for it lol.

That being said, wow, what an episode. It went by fast for me, and it was hella nice seeing focus on Hit again. :) But it seems Goku vs Hit is more like than Vegeta vs Hit like I wanted to see... oh well. I guess Vegeta vs all the U6 Saiyans and then maybe Toppo (or Dispo)?
I don't think so. If Hitto doesn't go down to Vegeta, Hitto will likely get bodied by Jiren before he and Goku get their rematch.
That's... also true and could happen... plus I think Goku would be out of energy if he faced Hit, and then Jiren.

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:11 am

So we're over 100 episodes in, Goku uses a form we haven't seen since episode 13, in the first arc btw, and we don't even get an explanation as to why he stopped using it, or why he suddenly decided to bring it back? Also, really don't see the point in having both SSG and SSB, what is even the big difference in power? Might as well keep him in base from now on, since the power scale is so broken.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:14 am

Fantastic episode. SSG looks great here. I don't really have a problem with Goku using the strategy Vegeta used in the manga, not sure why that's such a big deal. Wish they explained why SSG came back here and now. Hitto VS Dyspo was a fun fight. The episode itself was a lot more tactically oriented than any other fight in the ToP so far. M favorite episode of the ToP easily. Some pretty fun lines and scenes in this episode too: Goku telling Hitto he doesn't give a fuck about the mines, Hitto tricking Dyspo and nearly ringing him out the first time, Champa in general this episode was great.

Rhuagh
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Rhuagh » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:15 am

Pretty good episode, better than last week. Made it's way into the tiny list of episodes I find enjoyable.

About wether SSJ God's return makes sense in the anime, it obviously does not and I don't care. I stop caring about consistency in the show a long time ago, I'm just in for the ride. Turn my brain off and watch. It was for nothing though, Goku barely accomplished anything with it.

Toppo getting real is cool to see (enough with the justice bullshit), but Jiren unfortunately is still a mute.

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:18 am

Overall an very enjoyable episode for me. If there's one thing I love about this arc, we're finally getting to see interesting abilities supersede sheer power alone, with the likes of Hit having to change his tactics specifically to handle the likes of Dyspo and ...that blue imp guy? Lots of fun storyboarding too for battles too, something the previous battles have been quite lacking with. Lots of moments that actually got a hearty laugh out of me too. For a while Champa's been getting a little grating but the vuvuzela bit? That was absolutely hilarious. Toppo also got to be intimidating this episode, with Jiren as turned off as ever. Really hoping Jiren turns around once he gets his moment to shine. Really, really hoping :?

My only complaint is that Super Saiyan God took the exact same approach that Toyotaro's manga had with the form, which wasn't a take I was too fond of when it first appeared. At this point while I love the design, it's an obsolete form that was overtaken when the point of Super Saiyan Blue being a form one could take with ease was being made apparent. I just wish it was still treated like the Saiyan Spirit Bomb that it was in Battle of Gods; combining power together to be near the level of a God of Destruction while that form containing the issue of a short time limit. Instead it's a form that's weaker than Blue, which previously before the bizarre new stamina issues completely took out any use the God form has beforehand so now there's the issue of why Goku hasn't used it before. I'm aware Toyotaro had delivered extra assistance this time around; I wonder if he had any hand in the outline as well? Either that or the Toei staff thought his version of Blue was cooler or something? I'm aware Goku mentions the Blue Form has some form of energy issues back in the Hit fight, but it certainly never seemed that drastic afterwards
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:18 am

Noah wrote:
MajinMan wrote:The Universe Survival arc OST is the best that Sumitomo has ever come up with for Dragon Ball.
Pardon, but what? I don't remember any track in this current arc that was better than the previous one.
I mean, music is one of the most subjective things to argue about, but I genuinely feel that the music for this arc fits Dragon Ball more than Sumitomo's other work. The fight themes in particular have a jazzy type feel to them that I really like. I also like his use of the guitar in some of the songs. His new "laid back" music is also better than his previous ones. Not saying that the Future Trunks arc had bad music. I really liked Black's theme and the one that played when Trunks saved Goku and Vegeta from Merged Zamasu with his ki sword.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:19 am

The anime is slowly turning into what I always wanted, the best ideas of the manga and anime combining. So happy Toyo apparently has some influence now, whether it's by being Toriyama's favorite or impressing the staff with his manga

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:28 am

Yomi wrote: enjoyed the fact that the fights weren't one dimensional this time. This episode could have been very different (shitty) under a different writer.

There are moments in this fight that I really love, and I'd have to say that this is my favorite fight of this arc so far. It gives justice to blitzers
the likes of which Burter never did. (Well Burter caught a Dragon Ball... so I guess that's something.)

I don't mind Goku's goofy disposition in this show, but I really liked that he wasn't like that this time and pointed out the flaws in Dyspo's techniques pretty early on.
I think its because Toshio wrote the fights very JJBAlite.

I dont mind because this kind of battles is one of the best aspects of JoJo, and makes the DBS show feel fresh instead of relying on the same old punch,kick,blast.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:29 am

Wow, this was definitely the best episode of the tournament so far. That was fucking awesome! Everything was so on point, the animation, the art, the music, everything. I have absolutely nothing negative to say, if people don't like this episode then you should just stop watching the show right now.

I also really liked how they took ideas from the manga, makes a lot of sense why Goku would go SSG given Dyspo's speed. I was really beginning to wish they'd stop cutting to Champa every 30 seconds but then when he pulled out the vuvuzuela I laughed my ass off. I also like how Caulifla seems to look up to Hit.

Goku's SSG entrance was one of the most badass things in the entire show.

NEP looks kinda boring. I still don't understand how everyone can use the Mafuba but if Roshi uses it he dies. Seriously wtf? And looks like Roshi is already back to his perverted ways. I knew it was going to be a dumb gag. If Roshi gets knocked out next episode which the episode title suggests, that means that the theory about the ED isn't true.
Last edited by Asura on Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:32 am

Easily one of the best episode, this one destroy last week,because the focus was on hit&dyspo[spoiler]I have to say Dyspo's dialog was fun,a cocky bastard who full himself, one of the better new character and it was so satisfying seeing him being tricked and trashed
    The pride troopers were used really well in comparison to ep 101 which was embarrassing in comparison to this,kunshi abilty were used really well, I wish every episode was like this,using the gimmicks well instead of wasting them
      and the fight with hit & Dyspo's was awesome, the music,the tension and the strategic elements made this episode to be one of the best in the Top & hit was amazing,this line was my favorite "You've dropped trash everywhere."
        My complaints are goku,he felt kinda there,sure ssg return was cool but it felt anti climatic & forced but I loved his strategy,I hope he uses it again with Dyspo and goku powering through the cable was ridiculous considering hit needed a strategy to stop him other than this was a fine episode
          it set the staple like in ep 102 how an episode should be structured,easily one of my favorites.[/spoiler]
          Mostly active on discord.

KameNinja45
          Beyond Newbie

Post by KameNinja45 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:38 am

This would've been my favourite episode in the Tournament by far, if it weren't for all the Super Saiyan God BS.
          We haven't seen the form for 90 episodes, why was the reveal so casual? Apart from Beerus explaining what the form was, the entire scene felt like just another SSJG transformation, even though this is the first time we've seen Goku use it since the very first arc. If you didn't watch the preview, and didn't read the spoilers, which some do, especially binge-watchers, you would be so confused.
          And why is Goku only now using it? This could've been so easily fixed, just have Goku go God during the fight, not offscreen. Have Goku struggle against a strong opponent, Dyspo in this case, in SSJ form, hesitate to use Blue because of the stamina drain, then come up with the idea to go God.
          The God/Blue combo is a great idea, a nice take from the manga, but I felt that it should've been a bigger deal. This should've come up in a bigger fight, against Toppo or something.

That being said, the episode was still really good. The fighting was creative and tense. Seeing Hit use the techniques he displayed in episode 71 was cool to see. It's nice to see Toei use techniques that have already been established, rather than resorting to ass-pulls. Plus, Hit in general was just badass.
          Dyspo and the other kid were great opponents, they made the Pride Troopers feel like real threats, something desperately needed after their lackluster performance in episode 101. Their abilities were also really unique, and were used very effectively and creatively in their fights. Although I don't know why surpassing the speed of light is a feat, but who cares.
          The music, while jarring and different, was awesome. It made the fight feel all the more epic.
          And I'm glad Dyspo survived, he's a really interesting character, and I can't wait to see him again.

Overall, it was a great episode, apart from the God stuff.
          Next week seems interesting, I expect some character development from Roshi, in regards to his "problem".

Tombstone1988
          Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:42 am

Things I Liked:

-Pretty much everything with Hit. Seeing as his fight was the vast majority of the episode, we're already looking better than the previous few episodes.
          -Dyspo in terms of pacing, characterization and threat level. Dyspo is basically what I've wanted from fighters in previous fights.
          -Kunshi was alright, which actually made him more interesting than four of the six previous Pride Troopers showcased in this tournament.
          -The episode had focus for once. It didn't have a short scuffle with no payoff; it started and ended with Dyspo as the antagonist, which was nice to see.

Things I'm Mixed On:

-Kale and Caulifla were still injured, showing that previous battles in this tournament do, in fact, have longer-lasting implications. However, this also serves to further reinforce the fact that Caulifla deciding to take the attacks of a Pride Trooper head-on in her base form was really stupid.
          -Some of the gallery commentary, such as that from Vados, actually seemed to serve some purpose this episode. However, some of it was still complete padding, such as Beerus literally repeating something Hit brought up about Dyspo less than sixty (real-world) seconds ago. Also, what's the deal with the Kaioshin from Universe 6? Every scene he's a still frame with his mouth open and no sound coming out. I'm convinced he's actually just a puppet that Vados created to further mess with Champa.
          -I liked Kunshi's abilities, but I don't like Goku's strategy to overcome it. Kunshi creates a powerful energy field, so Hit cleverly uses fast ranged attacks to counter it. Goku, meanwhile, just powers up to Blue and face-tanks it. I feel like that could've been altered to be a little more interesting.

Things I Disliked:

-Super Saiyan God. So, to start with some positives, the form still looks as awesome as ever. Whis also does mention that it serves as a sort of intermediate step between Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan Blue. That's all pretty good. However... that's it. No line about why he's using it now. No transformation to show him achieving mastery of it or something. He just shows up as a Super Saiyan God. Also, while I don't personally read the manga for Super, I do know that Goku used SSG against Hit and that Vegeta did the whole 'swap from SSG to SSB momentarily for a power-up' thing against Goku Black. This entire things reeks of really cheap fanservice. Throw in SSG because people like it and throw in some popular ideas from the manga because some people liked them there. I wasn't a fan.
          -Does Jiren just not care about the Pride Troopers? This is the second time he's indirectly responsible for his teammates being eliminated. First he kept Kale in the ring when he stopped her rampage; now he just stands there watching his comrades get beaten up. I really hope they at least mention why he refused to intervene other than 'because he's supposed to be the final fight.'

Overall, I do think this was one of the best episodes of the arc. It had a lot more focus and tension than most of the previous episodes. Watching someone not from Universe 7 be the main character in an episode was a refreshing change of pace. The fighting was also quite good. I was worried about Super Saiyan God, and my worries were unfortunately justified. Barring that, however, it is a solid episode. I hope for more episodes like this (minus the SSG thing) in the coming weeks/months.
          "If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
          (Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

The gr
          I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:49 am

That vuvuzuela bit was also great,Toppo is finally is gonna take this seriously, he needs a good showing.Dyspo& kunshi were handled really great in this ep,they were intimidating episode 101-98 should have been handled with the character like this
          Last edited by The gr on Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
          Mostly active on discord.