Super Episode 104 (20 August 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Super Episode 104 (20 August 2017)

Post by precita » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:42 am

Hit's interactions with Goku aren't much different than a more reserved or calm version of Piccolo. In fact it's almost identical to Piccolo at some points.

I think because Super barely focuses on Goku/Piccolo's interactions that people think what we're seeing with Goku/Hit is something new or interesting. Hell it's the same as Pikkon too for that matter.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:53 am

precita wrote:Hit's interactions with Goku aren't much different than a more reserved or calm version of Piccolo. In fact it's almost identical to Piccolo at some points.

I think because Super barely focuses on Goku/Piccolo's interactions that people think what we're seeing with Goku/Hit is something new or interesting. Hell it's the same as Pikkon too for that matter.
All 3 of them interactions are better than Goku and Vegeta in my view.

The fight between Dyspo and Hit is exactly why I dislike the Saiyans so much due to them just being to plain and boring as they have no unique abilities or strategy and is always about increasing their power by powering up and that is it and this is why Piccolo is my favourite character.

This show needs less Saiyans in battles.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:02 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
precita wrote:Hit's interactions with Goku aren't much different than a more reserved or calm version of Piccolo. In fact it's almost identical to Piccolo at some points.

The fight between Dyspo and Hit is exactly why I dislike the Saiyans so much due to them just being to plain and boring as they have no unique abilities or strategy and is always about increasing their power by powering up and that is it and this is why Piccolo is my favourite character.

You know that will never happen.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:03 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:

I find Goku to be the exception to that tbh. I always enjoy most of Goku's fights (has the best fights in the series to me). He's the only Saiyan that isn't a Fusion with unique abilities, and actually uses tactics in a fair number of his fights. It's a big problem I have with every other Saiyan character in that they have no unique abilities and they don't use tactics as often. With that said, I can't say I find too many Piccolo fights to be all that interesting to me besides his fights with Goku and 17 (two amazing fights though with the former being my favorite fight). As far as Goku's interactions go, his interactions with Vegeta have grown stale quite some time ago for me. Goku's interactions with Freeza, Gohan, Piccolo 17, Hitto, and Caulifla I enjoy far more than I do his interactions with Vegeta at this point.
Lord Beerus wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

It definitely won't, and I wouldn't have much of an issue with it if the Saiyan characters could gain more interesting skillsets. Outside of Goku, the rest have pretty boring and limited toolkits.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:08 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

We know, but I will continue to hope. I actually forgot at one point that Goku was going to help and when he stepped him it annoyed me so much as the fight seemed a lot more tense until that point.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:09 am

Lord Beerus wrote:If Goku knew he could use SSJG at point, why on earth did he not think about to use it at any stage before the tournament?
This is the first time in Dragon Ball Super where Goku has needed to conserve energy and pace himself. That's why he's using other forms.

Otherwise for the most part, he fights one person for, what could be in universe a couple minutes and then it's done and he has a rest.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:25 am

Bullza wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:If Goku knew he could use SSJG at point, why on earth did he not think about to use it at any stage before the tournament?
This is the first time in Dragon Ball Super where Goku has needed to conserve energy and pace himself. That's why he's using other forms.

Otherwise for the most part, he fights one person for, what could be in universe a couple minutes and then it's done and he has a rest.
I just think some battles could have been included the use of SSJG. Like Goku's battles with Hit, Goku Black, Zamasu, Android 17 or even Krillin. But even in the case of Goku's battles against Hit, Zamasu, and Goku Black, we already know they were much stronger than SSJG. So using the form in those scenarios would have been redundant. However, I still think it could have been re-introduced better.

Elton Stryker
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Elton Stryker » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:33 am

I like the fact Speed of sound and light has mentioned by Toppo.
I like the Champa lines. I laugh so much!
Incredible new songs.
Love the fact Hitto use invisible punch and go to parallel dimensions in this fight.
Mention about Dyspo look alike Beerus.
Kushin technique remind me of Bujin from DBZ movie 9.
SSG Son Goku entrance is very cool!
Mutenroshi uses Mafuba on the preview :D
Chrono is son of Gogeta,Dai is son of Gohan!

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:37 am

ChiefWamsutta wrote:The episode was cool, but Dragon Ball Super is such bullshit. I am so fucking sick of the lack of fucking explanations for anything in this asinine show. NO ONE even was phased that he used Super Saiyan God again, or how it is possible.

Fuck this shitty show. I may just drop it.
What explanation are you looking for exactly? They clearly said he's using SSG because it's better than regular SSJ, but doesn't drain stamina like SSB. What more do you want them to say? It's not like the show ever said "Goku can no longer use SSG", he just never used again up until this point. What's the problem exactly?

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:40 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Bullza wrote:

I just think some battles could have been included the use of SSJG. Like Goku's battles with Hit, Goku Black, Zamasu, Android 17 or even Krillin. But even in the case of Goku's battles against Hit, Zamasu, and Goku Black, we already know they were much stronger than SSJG. So using the form in those scenarios would have been redundant. However, I still think it could have been re-introduced better.
I actually think this was THE logical point in time to reintroduce SSjG. Not much point using it if you can use Blue, which you can sustain long enough to get a job done, when it comes to single enemies. Here you need to conserve your ki as good as you can and survive 48 minutes. Just take a look at everything that has already happened in the last 13 minutes of the tournament. It's quite clear that Goku would try everything he has to stay in the action as long as possible.

Also, making SSG seem like not a big deal looked to me like part of a strategy to retcon SbG - the characters were acting as though they knew and expected Goku could go SSjG at any moment, implying he could have done so at any point in the past.

Elton Stryker
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Elton Stryker » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:42 am

Artorias wrote:
ChiefWamsutta wrote:The episode was cool, but Dragon Ball Super is such bullshit. I am so fucking sick of the lack of fucking explanations for anything in this asinine show. NO ONE even was phased that he used Super Saiyan God again, or how it is possible.

Fuck this shitty show. I may just drop it.
What explanation are you looking for exactly? They clearly said he's using SSG because it's better than regular SSJ, but doesn't drain stamina like SSB. What more do you want them to say? It's not like the show ever said "Goku can no longer use SSG", he just never used again up until this point. What's the problem exactly?
Maybe they forget Beerus line in BOG arc and movie about Goku absorption of god powers. Or in ROF when Goku says about Vegeta turning into god ki with training.
Chrono is son of Gogeta,Dai is son of Gohan!

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:58 am

Soooo finally watched the episode.

While I like seeing god again, I'm still not, not will I ever be, a fan of it being downgraded to just a form Goku can access when ever. But we're going with it so what the hell.

As for why he's never done this befor.....maybe he just never tried. Or maybe he's learned tap into god ki more effectively so he so he can power up to a less powerful but more energy efficient form. The lake of a full explinastion is not great its hardly as big an issue as Super Saiyan Rage.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:13 am

Yeah SSG was just fan service the way Toyo talked about it definitely had my suspicions, literally served no purpose here at all especially when Goku ended up going SSGSS anyway.

Remember people crying cuz they thought Hit jobbed? Always say wait for godamn episode bet they feel foolish now. 100+ episodes and people still haven't learned...

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:18 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yeah SSG was just fan service the way Toyo talked about it definitely had my suspicions, literally served no purpose here at all especially when Goku ended up going SSGSS anyway.

Remember people crying cuz they thought Hit jobbed? Always say wait for godamn episode bet they feel foolish now. 100+ episodes and people still haven't learned...
Same, yeah I wanted Hit to lose but I dont assume its going one way or another. Just watch the show.

Actually though, Dyspo is pretty strong but he's like how Hit used to be when he first battled Goku. He's to used to his speed getting the job done, much like Hit and his abilites. As a result his fighting style is to pradicatble so he can be countered by skill rather then powe or ability.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:20 am

Is this Dragon ball or Naruto?

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:21 am

So much to hate, so much to love...

I'll be honest, I hated God's reintroduction a lot more on first viewing, but by the second one I've cooled down a bit. The whole way it's handled makes it seem like Goku having Super Saiyan God is just a well known thing, he's used it a billion times before this and when he comes out no one treats it like anything new. In another context, with God introduced prior to this in the recruitment arc, this would have been an amazing entrance and an exciting turning point, but as it stands it only serves to confuse people and hurts everything around it.

I wasn't expecting much good to come out of God's comeback, but even so, this episode doesn't fail to disappoint. It is handled horribly all around, top to bottom. If it actually served a purpose or managed to deliver on the excitment promised by the return of the transformation, maybe a lot of the implications of it would have been easier to swallow. But it doesn't even manage to do that. Goku just uses it for a while, gets punched a couple of times, then uses Blue anyway when the time actually calls for him to do anything basic, like throwing a punch or rushing trough an enemy attack.

This episode even manages to botch the way the form is supposed to look like. In every other appearence (movie, show, games, cards) Goku's clothes become a lighter shade or orange/purple to fit more with the general aestethic. Here, his hair turns red, eyes are round and... that's pretty much it. Not even the youthful look that the form has is kept.

So yes, everything about the return of God is shit. The form is now a run of the mill, dime a dozen of a transformation, losing all that made it good in the first place. It loses it's strength, it's purpose, it's mystique, everything! I'm sorry now there are two versions of the Super story where my favorite transformation has been ruined.

On the other hand, the focus is actually not on God's return, or Goku, or any of that jazz (probably why those elements suffered a lot). It's focused on Hit and his battle with Dyspo and on that the episode delivers excitment in spades. The whole fight is amazing. It tackles aspects of battle like:

- outsmarting your opponent: Hit baiting Dyspo to throw himself out of the ring; Hit attacking Kunshi from afar with the invisible shockwave;

- using the opponent's abillities against himself: Dyspo being a step ahead of Hit because he hears his Time-Skip, Hit using Dyspo's hearing against himself;

- the connection between warriors: Hit asking Goku to trade enemies, Goku saving Hit, Kunshi saving Dyspo;

- fighting skill meaning something even when outmatched: Hit can't keep up with Dyspo's speed, so he choses to only block attacks at his vital areas;

There hasn't been such a great match-up in Dragon Ball since Tenshinhan vs Goku at the 22nd Tournament. You have two warriors, of comparable level, each with his own set of skills and experience in battle, going at it and both come out of the fight looking great. Sure, Dyspo has the clear advantage, but you never feel Hit is way in over his head that he can't turn this around somehow. And when he finally does, not only does he do it big time, but it's done in a way that doesn't make his enemy feel like an amateur (or jobber).

Everything pays off and the solution to win doesn't come out of nowhere. It grows organically from the character. I love every moment of this fight and it's probably one of the best fights to come out of post-Saiyan arc Dragon Ball, at least when talking about non-final battles.

Minor things:
- loved Champa in this one, especially the vuvuzela part. He needed an episode like this where he is likable after whatever the fuck he's been doing the past couple of ones;
- Caulifla is just the best;
- Goku rushing trough Kunshi's trap unscatted is utter shit that is so far removed from the what his partner is doing that I can't believe it's even part of the same episode;
- Toppo is pretty badass, figuring out the fight from the sidelines in detail. Hope he gets to put that expertise to good use later :D
- THE MUSIC IS TERRIFIC IN THIS ONE! I think I've always meant to say that for the other episodes, but by the time I was done with the post I forgot. I guess that means this one worked even better than those, since I... well... remebered to mention it this time;

Next episode should be fun, but there is no way that Muten Roshi is coming out of it still in. The Mafuba? That's going to fail hard, especially with that small bottle. The only one shown to manage that was Piccolo (and Kami would've probably been able to as well). All the others had hard times even fitting the wave into the rice cooker. I don't see it working at all. But hey... maybe I'm wrong.
Last edited by Draconic on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:22 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:Is this Dragon ball or Naruto?
Funny Naruto fans said the same thing when they got further into shippuden.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:32 am

Lord Frieza wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:Is this Dragon ball or Naruto?
Funny Naruto fans said the same thing when they got further into shippuden.
Lol I know. Why're they explaining all of their attacks? It just reminds me of Naruto.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:37 am

W-Where is the Godpad getting those camera angels? WHERE'S THE CAMERA!? STOP STEALING GOWASU'S SHIT, GRAND PRIEST!
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:40 am

Kanassa wrote:W-Where is the Godpad getting those camera angels? WHERE'S THE CAMERA!? STOP STEALING GOWASU'S SHIT, GRAND PRIEST!
Silly Kanassa,you cannot steal from someone that does not exist.