Does anyone actually care about the characters getting erased?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Does anyone actually care about the characters getting erased?

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:49 am

Let's be honest here, U7 isn't dying. They're the main characters and EoZ exists. The only characters who can legitimately be killed off are Freeza (obviously) and Beerus (unlikely).

The other universes weren't built-up enough for us to actually care about them being erased. The fact that most of them are being portrayed as cocky assholes doesn't help. At best, we can feel a bit of pity, like with Obuni. The exceptions being half of U6's team, since an arc and some filler episodes were dedicated to them, and Gowasu, a character we actually had the time to get attached to last arc. Maybe the Trio de Dangers, along with Rou and Sidra, because of the recruitment arc, but then again, they were cocky assholes, so why should we care?

There's no tension because there's no emotional investment in any of these characters. This is genocide we're talking about, how can a series fail so badly at making us feel bad about something like that?

KuririnNoKotoKa

Re: Does anyone actually care about the characters getting erased?

Post by KuririnNoKotoKa » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:02 am

Why should I care? The story hasn't given me anything to care in those characters, it's just business for the gods, 9/10 of the U7 cast has totally come to terms with what needs to be done before the tournament even started and Gohan quickly accepted his role in this.

Our primary POV character, Goku, is having loads of fun meeting new strong people from other universes while they still exist and is seemingly trying to make the situation needlessly harder on himself just to squeeze out every bit of fun he can until the big boss battle comes at the end.

They are all disposable characters to entertain Zenos and it's not like the alternative from erasure is much better. The normal cycle of death in the Dragon World is already horrendously fucked up.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:14 am

KuririnNoKotoKa wrote:Why should I care? The story hasn't given me anything to care in those characters, it's just business for the gods, 9/10 of the U7 cast has totally come to terms with what needs to be done before the tournament even started and Gohan quickly accepted his role in this.

Our primary POV character, Goku, is having loads of fun meeting new strong people from other universes while they still exist and is seemingly trying to make the situation needlessly harder on himself just to squeeze out every bit of fun he can until the big boss battle comes at the end.

They are all disposable characters to entertain Zenos and it's not like the alternative from erasure is much better. The normal cycle of death in the Dragon World is already horrendously fucked up.
But you should care. You should care because this is genocide on a scale that would make Zamasu seem like a child. Yet you don't, because characterization is a mess, the recruitment arc was wasted on pointless fluff instead of building stakes and this arc came too soon into Super's run.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:22 am

The trio/sidra were at least the nicest people of u9,they do care what's at stake,yes they were jerks but just look at their reaction when that city is in shambles ,how is Sidra a smug dude + Rou being like that made him stand out in comparison to the other kaioshin
    There is no investment with these character because wasted too much time on meaningless fluff
    Last edited by The gr on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Mostly active on discord.

sintzu
    Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:42 am

Like you said, U7 will be alright and everyone else acts exactly the same, as in asses who have the exact same personality. This tournament had so much potential but so far has just fallen flat on its face. At least the manga will have good fights to make up for the terrable writing and rushed plot.
    July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

GodVegetto91
    Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:47 am

Doctor. wrote:Let's be honest here, U7 isn't dying. They're the main characters and EoZ exists. The only characters who can legitimately be killed off are Freeza (obviously) and Beerus (unlikely).

The other universes weren't built-up enough for us to actually care about them being erased. The fact that most of them are being portrayed as cocky assholes doesn't help. At best, we can feel a bit of pity, like with Obuni. The exceptions being half of U6's team, since an arc and some filler episodes were dedicated to them, and Gowasu, a character we actually had the time to get attached to last arc. Maybe the Trio de Dangers, along with Rou and Sidra, because of the recruitment arc, but then again, they were cocky assholes, so why should we care?

There's no tension because there's no emotional investment in any of these characters. This is genocide we're talking about, how can a series fail so badly at making us feel bad about something like that?
    NO. That was unneccesary to even mention. No we shouldn't care about them.

SsjCookie
    Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:33 am

Doctor. wrote:Let's be honest here, U7 isn't dying. They're the main characters and EoZ exists. The only characters who can legitimately be killed off are Freeza (obviously) and Beerus (unlikely).

Sadly, I feel the same about this arc.
    I feel absolutely no attachment with any of the characters of the other universes, hell I even have problems caring about U7 with how bad it's writing is.
    I thought with the future Trunks arc things were going the right way, but no it got worse instead.
    The future Trunks saga had its flaws but at least the characters were sympathetic and you felt for them.
    Not so much for these people though.

KuririnNoKotoKa

Post by KuririnNoKotoKa » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:50 am

Doctor. wrote:
    KuririnNoKotoKa wrote:Why should I care? The story hasn't given me anything to care in those characters, it's just business for the gods, 9/10 of the U7 cast has totally come to terms with what needs to be done before the tournament even started and Gohan quickly accepted his role in this.

But you should care. You should care because this is genocide on a scale that would make Zamasu seem like a child. Yet you don't, because characterization is a mess, the recruitment arc was wasted on pointless fluff instead of building stakes and this arc came too soon into Super's run.
    But I'm not here for them. The moment it was announced we would have a battle royale, I immediately went with the assumption that 99% of these new characters are inconsequential fodder that would exist to to be erased. We got enough to go by for Toppo, Brianne and the Universe 6 Saiyans and Hit. The only relevant player whose handle puzzles me is Jiren.

Ever since episode 77, the hook of this arc for me is to which point Toriyama would take Goku's battle obsession and what would take to calm him down and search for a healthy outlet for said obsession in Oob. We then learned there is a human who is stronger than the Gods of Destruction, so this clearly isn't the peak quite yet and I'm curious enough on what he has planned for Goku at the end of this story arc.

With regards to Zeno erasing an unquantifiable number of beings from 7/12 of the multiverse, do you really consider it worse than the inevitability of death within the context of the Dragon World?

MaskedRider
    Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:00 am

Doctor. wrote:

I understand where you are coming from but I think emotional attachment would ruin it because we would be shouting "HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO THEM!" to whomever for knocking out whoever. Moments like Gohan looking down at the necklace of another man's family is honestly the better route and I find to be more emotionally invoking for the character. Universe 10's erasure hurts me as an audience but if I was in Goku's shoes? What attachment do I have toward U10 besides fighting Zamasu and barely talking to Gowasu? It was U7's alternate timeline he had to help try to save not U10s. Don't get me wrong, universal erasure is scary but could you imagine if all the fighters had got to known each other before hand and this battle royal for survival started to become people being hesitant to throw a punch because FRIENDSHIP! As Toppo said in this episode, it ain't about justice - this is for survival. Even without this tournament a lot of these universes were going to be erased anyway and funny enough Goku gave them a chance to earn survival, plus there are those remaining universes that were exempt from the tournament that can lead to potential adventures but I doubt that will happen.

Shaqazooloo
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:05 am

Huh, so i'm not the only one who felt absolutely nothing when U9 and U10 got erased? Seeing everybodies reaction to U10 being erased was weird to me because it felt so poorly handled. If they wanted to make U10's annihilation mean something, they should've introduced Obuni in the recruitment episodes, we should've learned about his family and his bound with them, how he got recruited and how much the safety of his family means to him, seen more of the character so that we could get emotionally invested and dread his eventual erasure, not just have him be a one note character that is immediately forgotten about.

They wasted too much time during the recruitment with literal nobodies. The glimpses that we got of the other universes were focused around fodder, which is confusing enough, but universes being erased is supposed to mean something, it's supposed to elicit my emotions and make me feel sad or angry, yet, I feel nothing. The time that was spent on fodder should have been used on characters Toei wanted us to feel something towards. They kind of did it with universe 9, but I feel like we should have seen just how crappy their universe was, because I don't think we saw enough of it, most of what we actually saw was everybody from that universe being scumbags or annoying wastes of space or talking about how crummy their universe was but not showing us, We should've felt sorry for them.

Now that the 2 universes that the audience might actually care about are gone, the tournament feels really empty, as the OP said the characters weren't built up enough for us to get emotionally invested, so from here on out, the rest of the characters are just tools to make Goku and Friends look cool and thats it.
    Favorite Dragon Ball Characters
    1. Waluigi
    2. Whis
    3. Evil Buu

Dislikes: Playing by the rules

Boo Machine
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:16 am

Not most of them and I never really expected to. I came into this assuming more than half of the fighter were going to be faceless blobs doomed to get knocked out instantly because, holyshit80fighterinoneringatthesametimewhatanabsoluteclusterfuck.

We could have spent more time to give a shit about some of the other universes, but not all of them. I can't imagine wanting to give a shit about all 80. Kind of ruins the whole "Mysterious opponents" thing for some of them. I'm glad I don't know much about Universe 11 but know just enough. For me it made it all the more awesome when Toppo said to stop with the Justice stuff. I didn't know he was capable of that after screaming JUSTICE for god knows how long. I do now. It was a cool moment

I don't know if I would have enjoyed Gohan vs Obuni as much if I knew prior that he had a family. I'd just be there like, Well his kid is fucking dead. They introduced him an honorable fighter, Aw man he is so cool and he gave Gohan a cool fight, how neat- BAM family photo. Neat reveal. I feel it made in small impact, Made Gohan pause for a hot minute. Made the audience pause for a hot minute. (Assuming they avoided spoilers) You just enjoyed a good fight and BAM! Proud of yourself? Enjoy the show, Fucker is dead. So is his balloon kid. Didn't need to know Obuni before to like him, I grew to like him and saw him die in the same episode.

I don't know if I'm making sense, point is I enjoy not knowing some of these guys prior. Makes them Mysterious and weird. Kind of cool not knowing what to expect. Shame most don't amount to much but the ones who do are awesome. I like the Trio. I'm actually kinda bummed they're gone. Rou to. He was an asshole but his voice was like hot butter to my ears, baby. The battle royal setting was a huge mistake though that's too MANY characters who don't matter. I'm ok with some but that's too many.
    Last edited by Boo Machine on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
    SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

sintzu
    Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:24 am

SsjCookie wrote:I thought with the future Trunks arc things were going the right way, but no it got worse instead.
    I think there's a new director and new writers attached to Super now which could explain the drop in quality and change of direction (trying to be closer to the manga by bringing back SsjG).
    July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Xeogran
    I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:31 am

Doctor. wrote:The only characters who can legitimately be killed off are Freeza (obviously) and Beerus (unlikely).
    What? Freeza obviously?

It's his time to shine. There's no reason for him to die anymore. He overcame his weakness in the Hell's cocoon and came back stronger than ever.

You're acting like Toei is planning another Goku vs Freeza good vs evil fight for no reason. No, Freeza's role in the series has changed.

precita
    Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:34 am

This arc is the best Super has ever been, and this is coming from someone who loved most of the Zamasu arc.

Bullza
    Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:48 am

No not really, we don't know anything about these other characters and universes so cares really?

The only one that's really gonna matter when it does get erased is Universe 6.

Saikyo no Senshi
    Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:58 am

Pretty much as you said. I don't care for any of these characters cause the show doesn't give me a reason to care for them. Most characters aren't even characters to begin with which was to be expected, but then I don't know why the staff went the ambitious route when they know the limitations of a TV production. That too, DBS which took quite a bit of time to even become a "normal" TV production. The abysmal setting is proof that this wasn't a good idea.

The tone of the arc is such a failure. Gokuu is the biggest problem. I still have some hope that things will get more serious and clear cut as it approaches the climax, but yeah so far I'm not the least bit invested in what's going on. It is just boring.

emperior
    I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:13 am

I care about Hit and Caulifla. I wouldn't be happy to see them gone forever.
    悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Ki Breaker
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:24 am

The only universe remaining in the arena I would like to see survive till the end is universe 7..
    Universe 6 is great, but if erasure means certain attitude up their ass characters get erased forever, I am totally cool With letting them go poof...
    The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Doctor.
    Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:04 am

precita wrote:This arc is the best Super has ever been, and this is coming from someone who loved most of the Zamasu arc.
    Alright, doesn't really have anything to do with the thread though.

Tombstone1988
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:48 am

No, I don't care. I want to care; I want there to be emotion and a feeling of consequence in a fight for survival. Unfortunately, that's just not happening for the most part. As you and others said, Universe 6 is probably the only other universe we care about because they had a proper introduction. Everyone else is basically an obstacle, no more, no less.
    "If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
    (Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)