"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Simere
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Simere » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:44 pm

TheMikado wrote:
HeroR wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote: For someone who didn't even like the idea of people speculating about the end of Super that's a weird assumption to make. It all comes down to character and writing, just because Goku isn't the main character doesn't mean it will be cliche shonen. Some of my favorite parts of DB are when Goku isn't there.
Besides, Goku doesn't have to be taken out of the picture to have a focus on the next generation.
It would only work if it's like Duck Tales with Goku being like Scrooge, imo.
But they've already setup the scenario perfectly, They gave Future Trunks a crappy unsatisfying ending. It's the perfect opportunity to make a "time patrol" spin off. It's perfect because Trunks could travel to any point in time in any universe. It gives Future Trunks and Mai something to do other than exist and I doubt it's a coincidence they survived as a team.
Wow, focusing on time travel nonsense. Thanks for that. I previously couldn't imagine how DB without Goku could get worse.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:47 pm

Simere wrote:I've never seen that scene in the manga before(not allowed to post illegally hosted scans here, by the way). Is that translation accurate? Because it's actually saying it's been five years since Goku decided to visit them, not five years since he's seen them.

"We'd never see you if we didn't drop in on you."
"That's not true. I visited you five years ago."

"If we didn't drop in on you" actually implies they've seen him more recently than that.
Actually, I never thought it that way, but it changes a bit. It's been about five years since Goku visited them, doesn't mean they haven't seen each other in other circumstances.

About the 13 episode box. It doesn't have to mean the end of Super. If there is a new arc, it would be odd to have this one last US episode separated. I think.
Heno heno kappa!

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:53 pm

Yeah basically a dragon ball without Goku isnt Dragon Ball, he is too iconic to be replaced as the main character, even Toriyama who likes to troll people out of their expectations couldnt resist the urge to bring back Goku as it didnt feel right (or so as he said Gohan doesnt fit the bill) I've watched a lot of anime back when DB aired and no one was as charismatic,lovable and memorable as Goku was (even now as I continue my journey in watching every anime that the season pops out 8) )

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:54 pm

emperior wrote:Maybe they want to make a new Dragon Ball show that starts from when Goku leaves with Uub, and that's why they are ending Super at episode 133? But honestly I don't think that's the case, as it would be stupid to suddenly dump the Super brand unless Toriyama stops writing it.
Though if a new show really happens that would be their chance to actually make it look really good, so better designs, better shading, better colors and backgrounds like in the 2008 special.
Didn't like the color of that special, especially Goku's skin tone.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:54 pm

Simere wrote:I've never seen that scene in the manga before(not allowed to post illegally hosted scans here, by the way). Is that translation accurate? Because it's actually saying it's been five years since Goku decided to visit them, not five years since he's seen them.

"We'd never see you if we didn't drop in on you."
"That's not true. I visited you five years ago."

"If we didn't drop in on you" actually implies they've seen him more recently than that.

Well, in the official German version Goku' s line is something like " Hey, last time we've met was five years ago." Doesn't seem to be about who usually visits who. Unless the original really does imply something else.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:31 pm

Limit Break X Survivor Full Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiHOHS8xYGk
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:46 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Limit Break X Survivor Full Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiHOHS8xYGk
Already posted
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Riczi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Riczi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:25 pm

Is this "majikayo" in lyrics this Maji=Kayo?

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Riczi wrote:Is this "majikayo" in lyrics this Maji=Kayo?
Majikayo in Japanese is slang for "Really?"
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Riczi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Riczi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:45 pm

YonedgeHP wrote:
Riczi wrote:Is this "majikayo" in lyrics this Maji=Kayo?
<image>
Majikayo in Japanese is slang for "Really?"
ehh :( :( :(

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:48 pm

Here is the full lyrics translated

"Even the Gods of Destruction appear puny"

Hmm Will Goku finally surpass Beerus?

Daemul

Post by Daemul » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:59 pm

Welp, guess I was wrong, the Survivor is clearly Gohan, nobody else fits Goku's description in that second verse.

Legion
Regular

Post by Legion » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:07 pm

Daemul wrote:Welp, guess I was wrong, the Survivor is clearly Gohan, nobody else fits Goku's description in that second verse.
Is just an opening, guys.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:12 pm

Legion wrote:
Daemul wrote:Welp, guess I was wrong, the Survivor is clearly Gohan, nobody else fits Goku's description in that second verse.
Gohan is not winning this by himself as that what just be a huge insult to all the characters that train and like to fight. He can't just train for a day and win it by himself.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:17 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Legion wrote:
Gohan is not winning this by himself as that what just be a huge insult to all the characters that train and like to fight. He can't just train for a day and win it by himself.
Wouldn't be the first time.

Plus, Gohan trained off and on since Resurrection 'F'.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:19 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
you are talking about DBS aka the same series that had Trunks reach hakaishin level and 2 shot Merged Zamasu in his Genkidama mode.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:20 pm

perucho1990 wrote:"Even the Gods of Destruction appear puny"
I kind of expected this. Again, assuming Jiren is the mortal who is stronger than a God of Destruction (which I believe is obvious), then Goku being able to exchange blows with him would put him on such a high level.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:21 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
you are talking about DBS aka the same series that had Trunks reach hakaishin level and 2 shot Merged Zamasu in his Genkidama mode.
Jesus. He did not. Merged Zamasu was fallen apart and weakened and Trunks needed the power of others to strike the blow.
Kanassa wrote:

Legion
Regular

Post by Legion » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:22 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Legion wrote:
But who cares, is just an opening, not "confirmed spoilers" :D

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:30 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote:
I kind of expected this. Again, assuming Jiren is the mortal who is stronger than a God of Destruction (which I believe is obvious), then Goku being able to exchange blows with him would put him on such a high level.
I think it became more obvious when MSSJB Vegeta forced Beerus to fight seriously in the manga, and MSSJB wont be able to do jack to Jiren in the manga(for the looks of it), which is why Goku will have a new form, it should put him at least Hakaishin level...

HeroR wrote:
Jesus. He did not. Merged Zamasu was fallen apart and weakened and Trunks needed the power of others to strike the blow.
Merged Zamasu said that the final kamehameha didnt do anything, while when Trunks pierced him he said "What is this power?". Yes I know that he needed help to reach the genkidama mode, and it was only a temporary form.

In the manga was a similar thing but with Goku, Goku should be capable of hakaing Vegetto because he was close to deleting Merged Zamasu