I love the fact that U7 is dominating the tournament

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Re: I love the fact that U7 is dominating the tournament

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:56 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:Universe 7 is dominating because the bad guys always have the advantage in the beginning. Soon the villain Goku will have Jiren's comrades on the ropes until their hero steps in to turn the tables. But wait! That wasn't even Goku's final form! Jiren will be backed into a desperate corner by Goku's overwhelming power until his heroic resolve pulls something out of his butt to save the day! :thumbup:
This could easily be a description of the upcoming double episode special.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:59 pm

Universe 7 rules. I feel like I'm cheering for my favorite sports team or something (and I don't even watch or like sports...lol), and I'm happy to see them do so well against the opposing universes.

Go, Universe 7!

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:05 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:It's fine they're dominating the tournament. They're the main characters and should be the focus. Not sure why everyone is so interested in seeing a bunch of weirdoes who will likely only be around for this arc get extra screentime in the tournament.

I do agree that Kuririn got eliminated too early, especially after they spent so much time trying to build him up.
No, the point is that usually the main characters face some form of conflict or struggle, but they aren't because every other damn universe is too weak to pose even an ounce of a threat.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:12 pm

As i always said the pride troopers were a fraud only Jiren, Toppo and Dyspo are great warriors.
I think U6 is doing very well and we will see how far Hitto can go. I still think Hitto beats Toppo.

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:15 pm

The top 6 fighters in Universe 7 have astronomical power levels, and the disparity from the lowest of the 6th to the highest is pretty significant. The humans and 18 are relatively strong compared to the average fighter we've seen so far in the tournament. Piccolo is probably the next strongest fighter on the team, and he's most likely close, if not equal, to current SSJ3 Goku, which puts him leagues ahead of the bottom 4. The fighters, no matter what order you put them in, grow stronger and stronger each level up. Goku, Frieza, and Vegeta are some of the strongest fighters in the multiverse, the true extent of Gohan and 17's power is a mystery. I guess they could have equaled out the other universes to match the way they've developed the U7 characters, but I don't think they want to have so many fighters at such a high level. In comparison, U6 has some pretty strong fighters, and we've yet to see 3 of them. U11 had some stronger fighters eliminated as of now, but the 3 they have left are incredibly strong. Plus I don't thnk we've seen the true extent of Ribrianne's power, and they may introduce a few more extremely strong characters. Outside of pure power, they've tried to showcase fighters with unique powers and abilities.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:18 pm

Bullza wrote:I don't hate it but it wasn't what I particularly wanted. Of the 40 people who have been taken out 37 of them have been because of people from either Universe 6 or 7 which is really bad if you think about it.

Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the battle royal feel because nobody else seems to be doing anything but losing.
It's even funnier when you consider the fact that Jiren and Toppo have so few eliminations. The tourney doesn't feel organic at all so making it a battle royale is completely pointless. I'm enjoying it, mind, but it really could've been executed so much better.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:36 pm

BWri wrote:
Bullza wrote:I don't hate it but it wasn't what I particularly wanted. Of the 40 people who have been taken out 37 of them have been because of people from either Universe 6 or 7 which is really bad if you think about it.

Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the battle royal feel because nobody else seems to be doing anything but losing.
It's even funnier when you consider the fact that Jiren and Toppo have so few eliminations. The tourney doesn't feel organic at all so making it a battle royale is completely pointless. I'm enjoying it, mind, but it really could've been executed so much better.
As far as we know, neither of them have eliminations yet hahaha

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:55 pm

shadowmaria wrote:
BWri wrote:

They're both playing smart. I honestly think Jiren could run around knocking almost anyone he felt like off the ring. Look how easily he took out Kale, and deflected powerful attacks. As of right now, I don't think he's seen much of a challenge in anyone, including Goku and Hit. He has no reason to fight.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:15 am

shadowmaria wrote:
BWri wrote:

I feared that was the case. It makes all this hype for that team so pointless. Their tactics are already so bad. "Together Me, Dyspo, and Jiren can easily take out Goku, but we'll run and leave it to the rest of you Pride Jobbers, whose combined power likely can't touch Jiren or myself alone. Your level of power is no where near Goku's as I've seen in the prelim, but its a loss we'll have to take for a few seconds of 'sit on our ass time.'"
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:56 am

BWri wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
BWri wrote: It's even funnier when you consider the fact that Jiren and Toppo have so few eliminations. The tourney doesn't feel organic at all so making it a battle royale is completely pointless. I'm enjoying it, mind, but it really could've been executed so much better.
I feared that was the case. It makes all this hype for that team so pointless. Their tactics are already so bad. "Together Me, Dyspo, and Jiren can easily take out Goku, but we'll run and leave it to the rest of you Pride Jobbers, whose combined power likely can't touch Jiren or myself alone. Your level of power is no where near Goku's as I've seen in the prelim, but its a loss we'll have to take for a few seconds of 'sit on our ass time.'"
It does make it pretty clear just which Universe's are being favoured for eliminations

Nothing for Universe's 3, 4, 11, and definitely none for 10

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:10 am

They sure are dominating and it's awesome..
Especially considering the fact Krillin has more eliminations than Jiren and Toppo.. combined..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:22 am

Basako wrote:What the fuck are all those guys doing in the arena? Waiting for Goku?
This is my biggest problem right now. It feels like everyone is just waiting around taking their turns fighting U7. Like a line is forming and they've even got their numbered tickets so when the Grand Priest announces their number they can go in and fight Goku.

Fuck, Toppo and Jiren are LITERALLY just standing around waiting for Goku. They have done absolutely NOTHING. Instead of showing us how strong Jiren is by showing him hitting Kale, how about you show him wrecking dudes and knocking them out of the ring with ease just so we know what we're going to be dealing with?

Honestly it wouldn't even bug me so much that U7 was getting all the eliminations if multiple universes came at them at once, because then it would at least make sense since they're focusing all their resources on U7 instead of really fighting each other. The fact that they're getting attacked by one universe and one universe only until the next universe comes along is just so dumb and makes it feel like it's not a battle royale at all, just universes taking their turns at fighting Goku.

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:18 am

I believe that, essentially, the root of the "problem" lies within the fact that 80 competitors together from start cannot mesh together with lasting many episodes: if you factor in two eliminations on average per universe happening either on or off-screen since the early beginning, the competition would have ended in five episodes, while we are ten episodes in.

Especially in hindisight, chances are this particular concept would've worked more "believably" in the way people here are theorizing it would if it had thousands of people on the ring or by limiting the actual competition we're seeing now to a handful of episodes, acting as a climatic finale for an entire arc.
With the current conditions and a not-so-subtle necessity to keep the spotlight on everyone's beloved heroes, some dissonance betwen cognition and narration is, unfortunately, inevitable. Of course, narration could technically show more of the other universes' whereabouts, but the final body count would still be bound to be oh-so-skewed in favor of U7.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:33 am

I think a concept like this was probably never going to reach its full potential. There's all things that could have been improved.

It's doing a decent enough job though, it's not bad by any means, as long as it's entertaining then I'm happy enough with it.

Hopefully by the time the Tournament is about to end the eliminations are a bit more balanced though chances are it'll be Universe 11 who get the rest of the eliminations.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:01 am

It'd feel a little less one-sided if they'd done what they did with Krillin for everyone who gets a showcase. They do a good job, rack up a few eliminations, then they're off. Going by that logic, Roshi and the Androids at the very least would also be off.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:01 pm

Universe 7 is just too good. They've already surpassed all the other universes. Even Hit already nearly beat Dyspo and was going to take him out.

Universe 7 is the strongest universe confirmed, not counting the 4 held back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:38 pm

Well today's episode proved Dr. Rota was just fodder, hell he might very well be the weakest Universe 6 character. Wonder why Champa even brought him in.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:49 pm

I wonder if there's even a possibility a Universe 7 member will lose a fair fight? Krillin and Tien both got knocked out after they'd won a fight and (all together now) let their guard down and got blind-sided by a sneaky opponent.

I'm sure plenty of U7 guys will eventually get fodderised by an uber-powerful fighter like Jiren. I want to know will there be a situation where someone fights an even match but is ultimately defeated. That's happened plenty of times now, but U7 has always come out on top when it has.
Last edited by Kataphrut on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:57 pm

That's true too. Krillin and Tien didn't even lose because they were overpowered or lost a fight, it's because they were tricked and lost their footing on the stage. If this was any regular fight without a tournament they would have lasted longer.

Hakaishin Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hakaishin Liquir » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:15 pm

Kataphrut wrote:I wonder if there's even a possibility a Universe 7 member will lose a fair fight? Krillin and Tien both got knocked out after they'd won a fight and (all together now) let their guard down and got blind-sided by a sneaky opponent.

I'm sure plenty of U7 guys will eventually get fodderised by an uber-powerful fighter like Jiren. I want to know will there be a situation where someone fights an even match but is ultimately defeated. That's happened plenty of times now, but U7 has always come out on top when it has.
Toei doesn't want the weaker U7 members to get eliminated by just being overpowered because they worry that the fans will call the U7 character weak if that happens.