Ranking the international dubs of Dragon Ball Super

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Ranking the international dubs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:39 pm

Well, Dragon Ball Super is being localized and broadcasted to many countries now, and we have a lot of international dubs of the series being produced.

So, how would you guys rank the many international dubs of the series?
Last edited by SaintEvolution on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Ranking the international dubs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by Gafonso6 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:47 pm

I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:50 pm

About the korean dub, the only thing I encounter on Youtube in a standart search is the opening, that sounds good to my ears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIGH3HIWN_c

But of course it's not enough to available the dub.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:42 pm

Well, brazilian portuguese and latin american spanish dubs were released today on Cartoon Network. So I think most of the international dubs, or at least the most relevant between them were or are already being released.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:51 am

SaintEvolution wrote:Well, Dragon Ball Super is being localized and broadcasted to many countries now, and we have a lot of international dubs of the series being produced.

For what I saw, I can say that my ranking is:

1 - English dub (Funimation/Texas version)
2 - Italian dub
3 - Spanish (Spain) dub
4 - English dub (Bang Zoom/California version)
5 - French dub
6 - Hebrew dub
7 - Portuguese (Portugal) dub

Well, those are the dubs I've see before. There are also korean and taiwanese mandarin dubs of this series being broadcasted now, but I don't know much of them to ranking a position for.

And we also have brazilian portuguese and latin american spanish dubs being produced now, but they weren't released yet so I can't say anything about them.

And as the series is going the dubs can became better or worse, so my ranking can change as the time passes.
What's your reason for putting the French dub so low?

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:47 pm

sangofe wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:Well, Dragon Ball Super is being localized and broadcasted to many countries now, and we have a lot of international dubs of the series being produced.

For what I saw, I can say that my ranking is:

1 - English dub (Funimation/Texas version)
2 - Italian dub
3 - Spanish (Spain) dub
4 - English dub (Bang Zoom/California version)
5 - French dub
6 - Hebrew dub
7 - Portuguese (Portugal) dub

Well, those are the dubs I've see before. There are also korean and taiwanese mandarin dubs of this series being broadcasted now, but I don't know much of them to ranking a position for.

And we also have brazilian portuguese and latin american spanish dubs being produced now, but they weren't released yet so I can't say anything about them.

And as the series is going the dubs can became better or worse, so my ranking can change as the time passes.
What's your reason for putting the French dub so low?
For the few things I saw it didn't sounded the best. But I didn't saw much, so that can changes.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:42 am

I'm watching now the brazilian portuguese and latin american spanish dubs, and I've saw more of the other versions after I published this topic. German dub is also out too. I will edit the first post, and do a new ranking soon.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:52 am

Alright since mores dubs started airing a lot more episodes from other dubs have aired I decided to update my list:
1- Funimation dub
2- French dub
3- Italian dub
4- Portuguese dub/Brazilian dub (both have their strenghts and their flaws and end up in the same level IMO)
5- Latin American dub
6- Spanish dub
7- Bang Zoom dub
8- Hebrew dub
9- Portuguese (Portugal) dub- BoG arc Vegeta entire arc/rest of the cast until Beerus arrives on earth
10- German dub
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:36 am

Gafonso6 wrote:Alright since mores dubs started airing a lot more episodes from other dubs have aired I decided to update my list:
1- Funimation dub
2- French dub
3- Italian dub
4- Portuguese dub/Brazilian dub (both have their strenghts and their flaws and end up in the same level IMO)
5- Latin American dub
6- Spanish dub
7- Bang Zoom dub
8- Hebrew dub
9- Portuguese (Portugal) dub- BoG arc Vegeta entire arc/rest of the cast until Beerus arrives on earth
10- German dub
Even if the european portuguese dub today is far better than it was before, when compared to other international dubs its still lacks some stuff, like production values or quantity of voice actors working on it.

And the italian dub actually lacks too, if we judge the voice consistency. Some of the most important voices of the cast were changed in the middle of the dubbing process; the same is happening for the european spanish dub too.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:24 am

SaintEvolution wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:Alright since mores dubs started airing a lot more episodes from other dubs have aired I decided to update my list:
1- Funimation dub
2- French dub
3- Italian dub
5- Latin American dub
6- Spanish dub
7- Bang Zoom dub
8- Hebrew dub
10- German dub
Even if the european portuguese dub today is far better than it was before, when compared to other international dubs its still lacks some stuff, like production values or quantity of voice actors working on it.

And the italian dub actually lacks too, if we judge the voice consistency. Some of the most important voices of the cast were changed in the middle of the dubbing process; the same is happening for the european spanish dub too.
That's totally true but since I don't have that level of information about every dub I'm using the criteria of how good they sound to my ears.

Goku98
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goku98 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:45 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:

That's not true. The re-cast are only for that Voice Actors that are dead (Goku and Frezer, and now Monica, but kid Trunks is still her for now, or sick like Alberto Olivero (Piccolo). The other are the same and they didn't change the voice.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:01 pm

Goku98 wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:

That's not true. The re-cast are only for that Voice Actors that are dead (Goku and Frezer, and now Monica, but kid Trunks is still her for now, or sick like Alberto Olivero (Piccolo). The other are the same and they didn't change the voice.
I know, but in terms of quantity this can be a bad thing for the dub. The actors who are dead or cannot work in the dub anymore for particular reasons are in a big number. Isn't a thing did on purpose or because of the studio's lazyness, but unfortunaly, affects the general quality of the dub.

The same will happen soon with the european spanish dub, since Alberto Hidalgo(spanish Vegeta) is now retired of voice acting after he recorded the first 52 episodes of the series.

Goku98
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goku98 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:57 pm

At the beginning of Super the only characters that didn't have his original voice were only two: Goku and Freezer. 2 replacements in the arc of 20 years don't seems too much for me, if we consider that the most part of the other dub has even more than 10 replacements.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:38 pm

Goku98 wrote:At the beginning of Super the only characters that didn't have his original voice were only two: Goku and Freezer. 2 replacements in the arc of 20 years don't seems too much for me, if we consider that the most part of the other dub has even more than 10 replacements.
I was actually talking about the voices that were changed in the middle of the dubbing process. In the case, Piccolo and Kid Trunks. But okay, two voices only aren't a big deal.

Goku98
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goku98 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:11 pm

Yeah isn't a big problem, moreover Monica as dubbed kid Trunks until now (episode 30) and i hope she dubbed him until 52, but i don't think so. Olivero (Piccolo) said that could come back in one year if his voice will get better after the surgery at the vocal cords. But now i understand what you meant. We were only unlucky, especially after loosing Paolo (Goku).

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:30 pm

Goku98 wrote:Yeah isn't a big problem, moreover Monica as dubbed kid Trunks until now (episode 30) and i hope she dubbed him until 52, but i don't think so. Olivero (Piccolo) said that could come back in one year if his voice will get better after the surgery at the vocal cords. But now i understand what you meant. We were only unlucky, especially after loosing Paolo (Goku).
Well, I saw more of the italian dub, and I can't say that I liked the voices of the new characters, excepting Vados, Kyabe and maybe Champa.

I have more stuff to say about it later. For what I've saw, I cannot say it's the best dub of the series, even if it's far from be the worse too.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:39 pm

How is everyone ranking this? Unless we spoke all the languages we would never know things like accuracy which go a long way towards "best". Also different languages use different tones to get their point across and speak differently, so how do we even judge the performances accurately?
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:46 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:How is everyone ranking this? Unless we spoke all the languages we would never know things like accuracy which go a long way towards "best". Also different languages use different tones to get their point across and speak differently, so how do we even judge the performances accurately?
Well, if, for example, you understand some latin language, like portuguese, french, spanish or italian you can understand well other latin languages, and many of the dubs are produced in latin languages(french dub, european portuguese dub, european spanish dub, italian dub, mexican spanish dub, brazilian portuguese dub).

Japanese is the original version and many people are used to it. English dub is also pretty known too. It isn't impossible to rank some the dubs with a few accuracy.

And we can judge aspects like mixing, production values, quantity of actors and etc.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:59 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:How is everyone ranking this? Unless we spoke all the languages we would never know things like accuracy which go a long way towards "best". Also different languages use different tones to get their point across and speak differently, so how do we even judge the performances accurately?
Well, if, for example, you understand some latin language, like portuguese, french, spanish or italian you can understand well other latin languages, and many of the dubs are produced in latin languages(french dub, european portuguese dub, european spanish dub, italian dub, mexican spanish dub, brazilian portuguese dub).

Japanese is the original version and many people are used to it. English dub is also pretty known too. It isn't impossible to rank some the dubs with a few accuracy.

And we can judge aspects like mixing, production values, quantity of actors and etc.
Yeah I definitely wasnt wasn't saying it can't be judged, I was just curious. Thanks.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:48 pm

I'm just judging them with how good they sound to my ears.