Wait, so the Ginyu Force was parodying sentai shows?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Wait, so the Ginyu Force was parodying sentai shows?

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:25 pm

I read it in Shonen Jump's Dragon Ball collector. that explains a lot.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:38 pm

Same goes for Great Saiyaman parodying the typical masked Japanese live-action hero.

dchan316
Beyond Newbie

Post by dchan316 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:56 am

Yup! Ginyu Toku-Sentai! I love the poses, haha.

nitemare
Not-So-Newbie

Post by nitemare » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:11 am

Yep, poses are great, they are enough to make even Furiza blush :D pity ginyu tokusentai died right when their captain finished making a new pose (I would love to see them in action)

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Re: Wait, so the Ginyu Force was parodying sentai shows?

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:17 am

jjgp1112 wrote:I read it in Shonen Jump's Dragon Ball collector. that explains a lot.
Took you this long to figure it out? -_-

Yeah, Sentai shows are really popular in Japan. On par with Godzilla

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:44 am

nitemare wrote:Yep, poses are great, they are enough to make even Furiza blush :D pity ginyu tokusentai died right when their captain finished making a new pose (I would love to see them in action)
omfg then the seru came and blasteded the torankusu. he was the deads :...(

...dude, stop romanizing :P

-Corey

P.S. - Taichou means "commander" or "division commander" I believe, so...ur l33t = -3 points.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:41 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:I read it in Shonen Jump's Dragon Ball collector. that explains a lot.
Took you this long to figure it out? -_-
You know if we were born knowing everything right away in life, we'd all be gurus. We all started out the same way.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

nitemare
Not-So-Newbie

Post by nitemare » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:53 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:omfg then the seru came and blasteded the torankusu. he was the deads :...(

...dude, stop romanizing
Oh my....I understand what do you mean but, unfortunately or not, I've got a habit to use romanized name whenever I feel I like it better - never thought that's a bad habit though :]

As for the 'Taichō', I was pretty convinced it also means 'captain' - probably I've based on poor sources, my bad ;]

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:15 pm

nitemare wrote:Oh my....I understand what do you mean but, unfortunately or not, I've got a habit to use romanized name whenever I feel I like it better - never thought that's a bad habit though :]
Eh, it's somewhat annoying sometimes, though I have done it myself before. I mistook your use of romanization to imply an "elitist" mentality, which you don't seem to have so...no harm done. My apologies.
As for the 'Taichō', I was pretty convinced it also means 'captain' - probably I've based on poor sources, my bad ;]
I may be wrong, but since Steve Simmons/Daimao subtitles it as "Commander" as well, I think I'm right on this one. If not, please feel free to correct since I'm still a student.

-Corey

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:34 pm

No, you'd be correct; Mr. Simmons translates it to "Commander" in all instances. And with him so far removed from being a student, I doubt that we could find a higher authority.

Whereas FUNimation decided it was necessary to actually lower Ginyu in rank. Go figure.

~Da Lemmy
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:40 pm

I think "senchou" is Captain isn't it?

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:46 pm

船長 (senchou) is the head/captain of a vessel/ship.

隊長 (taichou) can be "captain" or "commander." It refers to the headman in a group of soliders. (I believe the two words are synonymous in some cases, aren't they?)

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:56 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Whereas FUNimation decided it was necessary to actually lower Ginyu in rank. Go figure.

~Da Lemmy
Isn't a Captain above a Commander? Besides, I always thought of Freeza as the "Captain," hence Ginyu being the "Commander."

-Corey

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:00 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Isn't a Captain above a Commander? Besides, I always thought of Freeza as the "Captain," hence Ginyu being the "Commander."

-Corey
Shit. What the hell was I thinking? Did Riker turning down the Captain's chair three times to remain a commander aboard the Enterprise-D teach me nothing about rank?

Riker: I don't need to transfer. I'm Commander of this ship and outrank you.
Picard: What?
Riker: Crewman Lemmy said so, and he outranks all of us.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:13 pm

Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote:隊長 (taichou) can be "captain" or "commander." It refers to the headman in a group of soliders. (I believe the two words are synonymous in some cases, aren't they?)
In this case, I think they're definitely synonymous, since it's not like Freeza's army or even Ginyuu's group itself has any official military rankings. Both words hint that he's in charge of the others, which is all that really matters.

And yes, in both the American and British military, the rank of Commander (O-4) is exclusively a naval one, and the naval rank of Captain (O-5) is above it. There is an army and marine rank of Captain (O-2), which would be below the naval Commander rank, but it doesn't make any sense to mix them. (And I take issue with Red of the RRA being translated as "Commander" for these reasons; it mixes different ranking systems, and it puts him below most of the other officers. Yay for being an anal former military brat.)
-Rachel

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:59 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Shit. What the hell was I thinking? Did Riker turning down the Captain's chair three times to remain a commander aboard the Enterprise-D teach me nothing about rank?

Riker: I don't need to transfer. I'm Commander of this ship and outrank you.
Picard: What?
Riker: Crewman Lemmy said so, and he outranks all of us.

~Da Lemmy
ROFL, that was classic. I was gonna reference Star Trek: TNG actually, but then I realized my knowledge of ranks might be flawed. Like, "Star Trek: Nemesis" trying to fit into continuity-flawed.

Yes, I burned them.

-Corey

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:11 am

Jerseymilk wrote:You know if we were born knowing everything right away in life, we'd all be gurus. We all started out the same way.
Perhaps, but c'mon. Both DBZ and the sentai have been around forever. It's not like America's never seen a bastardized sentai show on TV. :P

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:55 am

Tsukento wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote:You know if we were born knowing everything right away in life, we'd all be gurus. We all started out the same way.
Perhaps, but c'mon. Both DBZ and the sentai have been around forever. It's not like America's never seen a bastardized sentai show on TV. :P
Doesn't matter. People that make those "NO DUH!" sorts of comments get on my nerves and to me it's just plain rude and elitist.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:44 am

Tsukento wrote:
There's a difference between bastardized and adaptation. Or do you consider West Side Story to be bastardized Shakespeare?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:47 am

Super Sonic wrote:There's a difference between bastardized and adaptation. Or do you consider West Side Story to be bastardized Shakespeare?
It would be a bastardization if it was bad. Power Rangers is bad. The DBZ dub is bad. That's the difference between a bastardization and other adaptations: was good, now bad.

Of course, not having seen any sentai shows, I can't comment on how good they are to begin with - they honestly seem to be the most awful things ever made :P Awesomely awful, but awful nonetheless.