Super Episode 107 (17 September 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super Episode 107 (17 September 2017)

Post by Noah » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:31 pm

That was an amazing episode! That's how you do unusual co-ops, Toei! :thumbup:

- Has these universe symbols appeared on other time? I don't remember seeing them before (when the Grand Priest was showing who is left from each universe).

- I'm excited for the mystery surrounding the hidden fighters in U4, I hope they are a big threat in this arc :D

- Oh, I got that Maji Kayo/"Seriously" pun :lol:

- Jiren keeps being an one note character that's only revelant because its power :yawn:

- So Roshi actually had three bottles so he could use Mafuba three times? My gosh, the old man sure has improved! :thumbup:

- Frost and Magetta dynamic was quite good, too bad one got defeated today

- When I said "unusual co-ops" I meant the interactions between Roshi and Vegeta in this episode, who barely talk each other in Z. That was so good! Love how Vegeta saved him and Roshi returned the favor :)

- So we're getting Gohan vs. Freeza in the next episode? Thank god, there's no break next week! :D
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:33 pm

Michsi wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Roshi and Vegeta, the team up I never thought we would see. It was a great episode and it was nice to see Jiran doing something to help slowly build him up.

We seriously need more of this, more team-ups between characters that we don't usually see interact. I don't even know if Vegeta and Roshi ever exchanged words in DBZ.
It's why I've been enjoying Goku's interactions with 18, they don't usually interact.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:35 pm

Nero<>Akira wrote:Now people can stop with the stupid ending elimination speculation.
Oh thank god, now we won't see more from precita and other members arguing about this subject :P
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Username2016

Post by Username2016 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:37 pm

If every bald guy is getting eliminated then first that means...

PICCOLO IS GETTING ELIMINATED NEXT CONFIRMED

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Username2016 wrote:If every bald guy is getting eliminated then first that means...

PICCOLO IS GETTING ELIMINATED NEXT CONFIRMED
Oh dear god no, oh dear god no.

I didn't even think of that. Piccolo can be eliminated at any time now.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:42 pm

Michsi wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Roshi and Vegeta, the team up I never thought we would see. It was a great episode and it was nice to see Jiran doing something to help slowly build him up.

We seriously need more of this, more team-ups between characters that we don't usually see interact. I don't even know if Vegeta and Roshi ever exchanged words in DBZ.
Agreed, would be nice to do more mix. I know they interacted before but it would be cool if Piccolo and 17 teamed up against some opponents.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:46 pm

Great episode. I really loved those money shots of the various universes. Poor Magetta though. :cry:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:46 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Usually I would have a problem with an episode dedicating the beginning to establish how many fighters are left in the tournament, but we're like 10 episodes into this tournament so I'm totally fine with spending some time to remind viewers just how many fighters are out and how many are left. Not to mention it had some really cool storyboarding and directing to back it all up. Look at how cool these two shots are...
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Love these two shots. Do we have the symbols for each universe listed somewhere?

Also, yay finally some decent-ish shots of the namekians. Pirina is in full view, but apparently they're still trying to keep Saonel hidden somewhat :lol:

Jigurashi wrote:
Michsi wrote:

It's why I've been enjoying Goku's interactions with 18, they don't usually interact.
Yup. Though I fear it's not going to be a trend, since Roshi was a character without a designated partner so-to-speak. The only other one is Freeza. I can totally see them sticking with Goku/Vegeta , Piccolo/Gohan, 17/18.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:47 pm

Things I Liked:

-Pretty much everything involving Frost this episode was great. He's an actual threatening secondary antagonist, something this tournament has desperately needed before this point.
-Frost and Megetta teaming up was surprisingly entertaining. They actually worked fairly well together.
-Man, I love the Mafuba. Especially seeing it used against Vegeta. So good.
-The sidelines were actually useful again this episode; they seem to be really hit-or-miss, and this time it was a hit for me (for the most part, anyway).

Things I'm Mixed On:

-Alright, Maji-Kayo. On the one hand, Jiren one-shotting him (it?) makes complete sense. On the other hand, this sequence and the comment by their Supreme Kai makes me realize that they literally did not care at all about the other 7 members of the Pride Troopers; they only cared about conserving Jiren's strength. And for guys called the "Pride Troopers," that's... well, that's kind of heartless.
-I really, REALLY liked Frost reversing the Mafuba on Vegeta, but I also really wanted Vegeta to stay trapped in the bottle for a while longer. It's selfish, but I think it would have been entertaining.
-Roshi was respectable this episode, but I have to question where all this energy came from. We know from the time countdown at the end of each episode that it's only been a couple minutes since he was literally on death's door. Frost swooped in and smacked him up quite easily. So how did have the energy to throw Frost off of him AND launch TWO Mafubas? Don't get me wrong, it was cool, but realistically he shouldn't have been able to manage it.

Things I Disliked:

-The opening recap was clearly padding. I understand why they did so; they took a week off and it's a TV show, one people might not tune into every week. The recap brings anyone who may have missed a couple episodes up to speed. Doesn't really change the fact that it's episode padding, though.
-The Ribrianne sequence felt really forced this episode. She just suddenly pops up in front of Goku and challenges him. Goku seemed to be in a rush to help Master Roshi, who, by the way, is a character with a Ki signature that Goku can 100% Instant Transmission to. An extra 30 to 60 seconds for why Ribrianne showed up now in front of Goku to fight him specifically and a reason for why Goku didn't just IT to Roshi would have really benefited this episode.
-Every new episode that shows Champa just seems to make me dislike the GoD even more. It might just be me, but every time Toei has him do or say something, it makes me dislike him even more than I previously did. He's just not a very compelling character, in my opinion.

Overall, this episode was great. Massive step up from the previous episode. I'm glad they decided to eliminate Roshi; he did good, but there really wasn't much else he could do this tournament. I would have preferred if they cut the recap sequence and spent that time on a proper setup to the fight between Goku and Ribrianne. I also had other minor gripes like Vegeta being almost instantly freed and Universe 11 showing zero care for 7 of their 10 fighters, but those are really just that: minor gripes. On the whole this was a step in the right direction for this tournament. I hope they can continue to make episodes like this.

NEP seems to be purposely trying to mislead us. I would advise not taking this particular preview at face value. Also, if the leaked spoiler about 32 fighters remaining for episode 109 is still true (which, at this point, that's up in the air), the most likely candidates for elimination are either another random Universe 2/3 fighter, Cabba, or Frost. I'd be okay with the first two scenarios, but I'm not sure how I'd feel if it were the third. As always, we'll have to wait and see.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:48 pm

Michsi wrote:Love these two shots. Do we have the symbols for each universe listed somewhere?
They're on the GodPad. You can see them sometimes when Zeno is flicking through the Universes.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:51 pm

Yeah, I don't care how nonsensical Roshi fighting Frost was, it looked cool and therefore I like it.

Frost reverting the Mafuba was one million/10.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:54 pm

Anyone else notice Vegeta did his classic Saiyan saga pose instead of that lame slanted pose he was doing in the FT arc?

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:57 pm

OLKv3 wrote:Anyone else notice Vegeta did his classic Saiyan saga pose instead of that lame slanted pose he was doing in the FT arc?
You mean the Champa arc where he was doing the hunchback pose against Hit? I don't recall him doing that in the Zamasu arc at all.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:58 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:Anyone else notice Vegeta did his classic Saiyan saga pose instead of that lame slanted pose he was doing in the FT arc?
You mean the Champa arc where he was doing the hunchback pose against Hit? I don't recall him doing that in the Zamasu arc at all.
He does it against Black, when Black uses the scythe

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by OLKv3 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:01 pm

Excellent episode.

I was really bothered by the beating Muten Roshi was taking and legitimately worried. Excellent characterization, Frost was really unsettling in a Freeza kinda of way, also loved his tactics. Nice to see the character contributing besides being a Freeza clone.

Vegeta and Kame-Sennin interaction, finally a new team up! That was bloody refreshing. Keep them coming.

Jiren continues being Mr.Badass, don't look at me or you're done. I liked the little U11 fight, I wish Maji-Kayo had a little more time he seemed interesting, both in personality and abilities.

Goku vs Brianne, I dig that. Expecting it to be a good one.

Beautiful shot's all episode long, great stuff. By the way, if that's how they plan to pad the episodes, I don't mind at all. It didn't bore me and was well-timed.

Next episode has potential, double betrayal Freeza, triple betrayal Frost?

I'm liking the more psychological, insistent on alternative win conditions style of some of these episodes. If it wasn't for the episode before this one we would have had a long stream of top notch episodes, nice to see the quality improving.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:14 pm

Doctor. wrote:Voice acting was also phenomenal this episode, even more-so than usual. The way Nozawa screamed "Outta the way!" was extremely intense.
Krillin's attempt of trying to talk Muten Roshi out of doing the Mafuba was a bit heartwrenching and intense as well.
Last edited by Freeza9000 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:15 pm

I'd find it ironic if Tien gets more screentime talking in the stands then in the whole tournament. Now they actually have to show Tien in every episode. :lol:

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Man, I love Frost. People wanted a good Freeza and hated that he was actually evil, but I really enjoyed it. He's so similar to Freeza, but he's so different at the same time. Next episode seems interesting too.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:37 pm

I didn't think this show could impress me this much.

11/10.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:39 pm

We can finalyy forget about that ending being true cause Vegeta is here to stay. 8)
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.