Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super Episode 108 (24 September 2017)

Post by Noah » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:54 pm

AloversGaming wrote:There was also no explaining on how Freeza countered IT. He said basically said "that won't work against me... for reasons.."

Next episode looks like Goku is using the Spirit Bomb. Why? It is created from life energy, not ki. It's going to be weak as Hell if he only uses life from those at the tournament. And doesn't it deal no damage to pure hearted people? Was that a dub error? If not; Jiren probably won't be harmed by it. It's a waste of the attacks return.
Excellent points you made, Freeza scene was literally how you described and that pissed me off too, and god damn YES about the Genkidama! I mean how the heck Goku is going to gatter energy enough to defeat a guy like Jiren? Will he trick people to raise their arms? And we don't if Jiren is actually pure hearted.
fadeddreams5 wrote:It's still unbelievable to me that they're not letting the characters go all out. Base Goku is fighting Ribrianne. Base Gohan fought the Yadrat guy. Every single fighter in this tournament, outside of Uni 6, 7, and a handful of Uni 11, was written to be incredibly pathetic, which is horrible writing in itself. We're given false tension by having Gohan get unnecessarily beaten up by the Yardrat, only for Frieza to tell him immediately afterwards that he could have gone SSJ to trounce the guy. What is the point of this?
:clap:

You just described the whole problem with this arc, I can't believe I saw people here praising that this is best than the previous arc, I mean seriously? Not that the Future Trunks arc was a primor in writing or anything, but still beyond this, I think only the climax can save it.
Tombstone1988 wrote:This episode unfortunately went in the most predictable way it could have. As soon as Krillin and the others spent several minutes discussing Freeza betraying them, I knew exactly how this episode was going to go. That little zoom-in on Gohan's face just cemented it. The tournament has generally thrown in some curve balls, but this was almost as by-the-book as it could have been
I could not agree more, but I think we should try low down our criticism, this show is clearly wrote for children. I think anyone on their 20s would find this episode pretty obvious by its handling of scenes and dialogue.
Lord Frieza wrote:
UnknownPigWarrior wrote:Frost is a better character than "lol we brought him back AGAIN" Frieza. What a waste.
Sorry clone characters are never as good as the real deal.
I think the same as well, now I hope for Broly return and to Kale receive the "Frost treatment" that would be nice :twisted:
Last edited by Noah on Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:55 pm

I'm pretty bored with the tournament in general. I don't usually comment on the content of individual episodes, as I'm mostly just waiting for it to end.

But sheesh, I did not care for this episode. It's written like slapstick through and through. Freeza is in character, but Gohan and Frost are made out to chumps (for different reasons), and Goku seems to trololol Ribrianne while she continues to be... whatever she is. It's no secret that I'm not overly fond of the new characters, particularly the U6 saiyans, but I'll take even them over Ribrianne and her... weird... pointlessness.

Just hope we get some breathing room between this arc and the next "universes" thing where we don't focus on zillions of new characters, like what happened with Goku Black after the first tournament. I get that the genie is out of the bottle now so far as universes go, but I feel absolutely nothing for any of these characters because everything about the Tournament of Power feels like it was basically thrown into a blender and then shat out without anything resembling a story. I mean, damn; did we really need yet another tournament so soon after the last one?

Mind you, that's just my opinion.

I suppose the positive thing is that Freeza is Freeza. I maintain that it wasn't necessary to revive his character again for this tournament, but at least while he's here we get a lot of him being a dick. I'm constantly worried that DBS is trying to redeem him in some way, but so far it's not looking that way. I'm hoping that once the tournament is over, he dies again and stays dead, and that this is remembered as his great swan song.
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:56 pm

MaskedRider wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:I can't believe Goku is actually going to use a spirit bomb against Jiren. Some guy predicted this in the other thread, and I was saying how silly that would be since Jiren is a good guy, but I'm sure they won't even mention that in the episode. Hell, watch the spirit bomb be half-assedly formed like in the video games. "Guys, I need your energy!" > "K" > *Spirit bomb formed in an instant*
Okay Planet, gimme that stupid energy!
I was thinking about the exact same thing when I saw the NEP :lol:

Personally I think the Spirit Bomb absorption is a let down. How are they supposed to get enough energy from the U7 fighters without draining them of most of their energy for an effective bomb? I'm gonna reserve judgement for the actual episode, but I'm still not buying what they're selling.
How i predict the tournament will end:

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:56 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote: and I was saying how silly that would be since Jiren is a good guy, but I'm sure they won't even mention that in the episode.
I thought it was just pure of heart that couldn't be hurt by the spirit bomb? I don't know about everyone else, but the only pride trooper that could maybe have a pure heart is Toppo. MAYBE Kasheral with his cat saving self. We know nothing about Jiren. Which is a problem on it's own.
Goku just said that Gohan would be able to repel it because he didn't have evil ki.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:56 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:
gohan_black wrote:I'm super cringed at ribrianne and her love bullshit. Super has finally jumped the shark with this
Whether this post is supposed to be satire or not is beyond me.
It seems every week you see someone say Super is ruined forever, that they're giving up on the show, that it's jumped the shark, or that "this is the worst episode yet."

And every week these same people return for the next episode, lol. You get used to it by now.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:59 pm

Not sure why Gohan stayed in his base form while being beaten up. I don't see why he couldn't have gone Ultimate, even if it was for a quick burst, to easily dispose of the Yardrat and the robot. Only reason I can think of is that it's a plot contrivance, as Gohan getting his ass kicked was the catalyst for the Freeza triple cross. That said, the one positive of Gohan fighting in base is that his Utimate form wasn't made to look like a joke, as has happened with Goku's SSJB form a couple of times. And even though Gohan and Freeza were putting on a show, I'd like to think that the power scaling was on point, and reflective of Gohan and Freeza's current levels. Golden Freeza > Ultimate Gohan > Final Form Freeza seems perfectly fine to me.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:02 am

BlueBasilisk wrote: Goku just said that Gohan would be able to repel it because he didn't have evil ki.
Oh yeah, I guess you're right. So that means the Genki Dama could potentially hurt anybody then?
Last edited by Boo Machine on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Taidow

Post by Taidow » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:03 am

I felt like the episode was a little slow, but after so many episodes of no Freeza, it was nice seeing him again. They totally had me for a second with Freeza knocking Gohan out, but as soon as he punched him and Gohan made that look, I knew it was all a plan. It makes sense that Freeza would betray Frost like that. "Trust no one, not even your 6th Universe self."

Gohan is just as bad as Goku when it comes to fighting seriously and I'm glad Freeza called him out on that.
ブラストバーン > みずしゅ りけん
効果はバツグン

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:03 am

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
RedHeat wrote:
gohan_black wrote:I'm super cringed at ribrianne and her love bullshit. Super has finally jumped the shark with this
I don't like her personally, but I find it funny people don't get it yet.
That seems to go around a lot. =\

Her personality has been pretty clear and honestly at this point if you don't like its fine but others like me get it and love what we have seen. But Yeah still surprise this is happening.
It's just getting too much now. Anyone count how many times she said love this episode, at one point she was literally just saying it over and over again. I get that most of these Tournament of Power only characters are gonna be one dimensional but she is somehow less than that.

Also dissapointed that Toppo and his gang have all gone back to just saying Justice for no reason, basically erasing any cool impact that speech had where he said there is no justice just survival. They should have all never mentioned Justice again from that point on outside of attack names.

Decent episode for me but definitely missing that spark and excitement from this week. I think it was too obvious Frieza was gonna betray Frost. Why did they do that telegraphing look between Frieza and Gohan right away, that pretty much made the next 2 minutes pointless as we all knew something was up. If it wasn't for Frieza's terrific writing and performance as of late this episode would have gone as one of the worst for me. Seeing 100% Frieza and then Frost was a cool throwback even if they made no use of it unfortunately. Also liked some of the callbacks to Namek such as the tail around the neck move and Frost's pissed off out of ring attack seemed to be a reference to what Frieza did to Goku on Namek. Love how Zenoh just flat out erased him as well.

Ashame to see Frost go in what seemed like a rushed way, but trusting Frieza was his down fall and really highlighted his naivety. Amateur was the perfect word to use their from Frieza.

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:07 am

A good episode, to bad that Frost got erased :( but whatever, I'm sure he will be back after the ToP, he seemed quite surprised after seeing Golden Frieza, which makes me think that we will see Frost getting a similar form in the future by training, but man, my boy Frieza was awesome, that last few shots of him talking all nicely to Gohan while saying, "Let's work hard and cooperate to win" was awesome as well.

Makes me believe that Frieza is going to stay for a long while, I wonder how Toei will handle him later on, but this makes me think we might see Frieza not really becoming a good guy but more like a anti-hero who makes a appearance every now and then.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:10 am

nato25 wrote:It's just getting too much now. Anyone count how many times she said love this episode, at one point she was literally just saying it over and over again. I get that most of these Tournament of Power only characters are gonna be one dimensional but she is somehow less than that.
It's all she seems to do. A lot of these characters were probably never going to be anything but one-dimensional, and I get that Ribrianne is meant to be a parody of a trope, but at this point it's almost a parody of a parody. It seems to de-evolve a little more with every episode she shows up.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:14 am

Noah wrote:
AloversGaming wrote:There was also no explaining on how Freeza countered IT. He said basically said "that won't work against me... for reasons.."

Next episode looks like Goku is using the Spirit Bomb. Why? It is created from life energy, not ki. It's going to be weak as Hell if he only uses life from those at the tournament. And doesn't it deal no damage to pure hearted people? Was that a dub error? If not; Jiren probably won't be harmed by it. It's a waste of the attacks return.
Excellent points you made, Freeza scene was literally how you described and that pissed me off too, and god damn YES about the Genkidama! I mean how the heck Goku is going to gatter energy enough to defeat a guy like Jiren? Will he trick people to raise their arms? And we don't if Jiren is actually pure hearted.
Agreed with the whole Spirit Bomb ordeal. It's silly and it makes them seem like they're unable to come up with clever ideas.

The whole Instant Transmission for me could've been taken as Frieza is just that fast now. The only problem with that is we've seen the Instant Transmission be effective against much stronger/faster opponents.

Sometimes I feel like everyone at Toei were the kind of college kids who typed up their papers and never did a spell check or review before submitting it to the professor.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:18 am

Ehh... It was okay I guess? Pretty slow, action wasn't all that exciting. Also, I don't know what the fuck is wrong with Gohan lately. Ever since 106 he somehow turned into a useless pussy who can't even fight for himself anymore. Seriously Gohan what the hell are you doing? You were about to be eliminated by Jireze not once, but TWICE, and you still wouldn't transform. Why man, why? At least when Goku does it you know that he's going to be alright since he's not taking any serious damage and you can visually see that. Gohan was all scraped and beaten up though. Just... why. Also, Gohan being away from Piccolo and it not even being explained just shows how shitty the structure of this tournament can be at times.

The Freeza and Frost thing was eh, I guess Freeza and Gohan fake-fighting each other to trick Frost was interesting, but it was completely pointless given Freeza could have easily just knocked him out of the ring himself any time he wanted without even catching him off guard like he did here.

If Jiren actually gets hit by the spirit bomb and he doesn't turn out to be evil in the end, TOEI is going to have some explaining to do. Kinda curious if Jiren just plans to sit there and let Goku do this, or if other U7 members are going to fight him and try and hold him off, although I don't see anyone standing a fraction of a chance of not getting one-shotted aside from Freeza and Vegeta.

I keep hearing the word "special" thrown around in reference to next episode, does this mean it's going to be a longer episode? How long exactly? Because holy shit the pacing seems insanely rushed. 30 people left, and Goku is going to not only fight Jiren, but already use a spirit bomb on him too? Seems way too early to be doing all of this right now, unless they somehow manage to erase U2, U3, and U4 all in one episode. That would be a combined total of 15 characters. Either Goku and Jiren's fight is going to go on while there's a ton of people still left in the ring, or this better be one hell of a long special.
Last edited by Asura on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:19 am

precita wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote:
Whether this post is supposed to be satire or not is beyond me.
It seems every week you see someone say Super is ruined forever, that they're giving up on the show, that it's jumped the shark, or that "this is the worst episode yet."

And every week these same people return for the next episode, lol. You get used to it by now.
i dident said I'm gonna stop watching it. i actually did kinda liked this episode. i just get cringe attack everytime ribrianne is on screen with her stupid voice and her stupid love. i hate that charecter with passion. I'm searious that super jumped the shark on that aspect. everything else is fine for me but those universe 2 trio is like something out of my little poni or power puff girls. its just dosent fit to dragon ball. i get that it suppose to be a parodi on girly animes but its just dosent fit.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:20 am

An ok episode. The most surprising thing for me is that there was no mutual back-stabbing attempt. Just Freeza.

Was kinda expecting more from Frost, but I suppose the previous episode was his biggest one in this arc. Oh well. Wonder if this means he's gone for good.

But we didn't get any explanation as to why Gohan is on his own now? You can't have two characters practically attached at the hip and then just detach them without showing the reason.

Also, I thought people were kidding when they said that the bang indicated a form in Gohan.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:22 am

Asura wrote: I keep hearing the word "special" thrown around in reference to next episode, does this mean it's going to be a longer episode? How long exactly? Because holy shit the pacing seems insanely rushed.
I think you're avoiding spoilers, right? So I won't say much, but I think the special is just 2 episodes aired on the same day back to back. At least that's what I'm gathering.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:25 am

nato25 wrote:Also dissapointed that Toppo and his gang have all gone back to just saying Justice for no reason, basically erasing any cool impact that speech had where he said there is no justice just survival. They should have all never mentioned Justice again from that point on outside of attack names.
Right?? Literally feels like different writers every single episode who don't even talk to each other. It's 18 all over again.

Boo Machine wrote:
Asura wrote: I keep hearing the word "special" thrown around in reference to next episode, does this mean it's going to be a longer episode? How long exactly? Because holy shit the pacing seems insanely rushed.
I think you're avoiding spoilers, right? So I won't say much, but I think the special is just 2 episodes aired on the same day back to back. At least that's what I'm gathering.
Yeah, I'm trying to avoid spoilers I'm just curious at how long the special is. So if it's 2 episodes aired back to back that makes about 44 minutes or so, yeah? Eh... it's not even an hour. Still seems pretty short for all of that to happen in terms of Goku already fighting AND using a spirit bomb on Jiren at the very least just going by the NEP, regardless of what else happens with the other universes with whatever those spoilers are.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:28 am

gohan_black wrote:
precita wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote: Whether this post is supposed to be satire or not is beyond me.

i dident said I'm gonna stop watching it. i actually did kinda liked this episode. i just get cringe attack everytime ribrianne is on screen with her stupid voice and her stupid love. i hate that charecter with passion. I'm searious that super jumped the shark on that aspect. everything else is fine for me but those universe 2 trio is like something out of my little poni or power puff girls. its just dosent fit to dragon ball. i get that it suppose to be a parodi on girly animes but its just dosent fit.
I don't really care for Ribrianne either, but I would hardly cite her as DragonBall "jumping the shark". She definitely fits in with Toriyama's concept of absurd gag characters. She at least belongs.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:29 am

Asura wrote: Yeah, I'm trying to avoid spoilers I'm just curious at how long the special is. So if it's 2 episodes aired back to back that makes about 44 minutes or so, yeah? Eh... it's not even an hour. Still seems pretty short for all of that to happen in terms of Goku already fighting AND using a spirit bomb on Jiren at the very least just going by the NEP, regardless of what else happens with the other universes with whatever those spoilers are.
Yeah, having what seems to be the climax happen with so many fighters still in the ring is pretty nuts. Guess we just have to see where it leads. Though of course the special means that next week is no new episode so it's going to be another long wait.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

UnknownPigWarrior

Post by UnknownPigWarrior » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:33 am

Ready for Frieza to stay dead/get erased as soon as possible. He's ruining this whole arc. Only way his return (again) can be redeemed is if he becomes a good guy -even then it won't excuse this garbage episode.