Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:17 am

dbgtFO wrote:One Piece still placed 3rd, despite the craptastic rating, but everyone will tune back in next week, when the bigger franchise shows everyone else how it's done.
Don't count your chickens before they hatch, Dragon Ball will probably not do much better
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:45 am

One Piece just keeps dropping lower and lower.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:52 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:One Piece still placed 3rd, despite the craptastic rating, but everyone will tune back in next week, when the bigger franchise shows everyone else how it's done.
Don't count your chickens before they hatch, Dragon Ball will probably not do much better
I love One Piece too but Super may have a slight advantage this time because it's showing something completely new and people may be excited to see Goku's new form in action. We will see though. Although there are a lot of factors that ultimately affect ratings.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:14 am

As much as I'd like dbs to get third, I'm pretty sure Sazae/Doraemon/Shin-chan are coming back this weekend. I think op only got third because the big hitters were all on break at the same time.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:22 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Well if it doesn't, I'm sure instead of counting chickens, I'll be readying my collection of straws for inflicting a tear in the spinal cord of an innocent, hard working, horse like animal.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:24 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I thought Super Sentai and Kamen Rider were much less popular than One Piece...
They are pretty popular. By the way, the ratings of the premier of those shows are unknown. We will have to wait for that. But, they have succeeded in dividing the audience cause of the same timeslot and so the ratings are affected as well.
Talking about Super Sentai and Kamen Rider, is it the same show for which Kikuchi composed the Music?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:02 pm

Maybe this is why dbs and op got double episode specials: to compete against TV Asahi's sentai shows moving to the same time slots!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:32 am

Ripper 30 wrote: Talking about Super Sentai and Kamen Rider, is it the same show for which Kikuchi composed the Music?
He didn't work on Sentai, but yes he composed for some of the early Rider series in the Shouwa era. Awesome stuff as expected of the man.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:45 am

Kenji Yamamoto composed some great soundtracks for Abaranger too :clap:
RIP to his career, though.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:43 pm

When will the Ratings of this week be out?

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:09 pm

DSB wrote:When will the Ratings of this week be out?
Normally tuesday night EST.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:29 pm

It is Tuesday night now and I still can't find the ratings for the special yet. Maybe tomorrow for sure the ratings will up for people to see. My prediction is that it will get an 5.8 to 6.4 in ratings this week.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:06 pm

Bullza wrote:One Piece just keeps dropping lower and lower.
It's well deserved.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:12 pm

Looks like the ratings will be updated tomorrow-ish like last time for some reason.
Feels over Reals.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:26 pm

Monday was a holiday. That's the reason.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:08 am

majinwarman wrote:It is Tuesday night now and I still can't find the ratings for the special yet. Maybe tomorrow for sure the ratings will up for people to see. My prediction is that it will get an 5.8 to 6.4 in ratings this week.
Anything less than 7 will be disappointing

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:04 am

Miracles wrote:
It's well deserved.
Has the anime not be that good as of recent? I only keep up with the manga nowadays as I can't stand the melting iceberg level of pacing the anime.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:32 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Miracles wrote:
It's well deserved.
Has the anime not be that good as of recent? I only keep up with the manga nowadays as I can't stand the melting iceberg level of pacing the anime.
The last time I can honestly say I liked the one piece anime was when Zoro cut Pica in half that was episode 719, the episode airing this weekend is 810.

There is a reason why Naruto was more popular internationally and it is strictly the anime.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:09 am

Totamo wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Miracles wrote: It's well deserved.
The last time I can honestly say I liked the one piece anime was when Zoro cut Pica in half that was episode 719, the episode airing this weekend is 810.

There is a reason why Naruto was more popular internationally and it is strictly the anime.

It makes you think if adding filler episode/arcs in the end is preferable to stretching out the main plot. I don't watch OP but I know many that do, and it seems that barely anything gets to happen in one episode. Honestly speaking, I think there are some really good filler arcs out there (OP apparently has one of them, ironically) and I think I'd rather have a season per year or a longer, well-made filler arc than a horribly slowed down main story.

Edit: Is there any way of knowing how well DBS is doing internationally? I mean the world wide streaming on Crunchyroll and Daisuki should indicate that there was quite the demand for it, but do we have numbers?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:51 am

Michsi wrote:
Totamo wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Has the anime not be that good as of recent? I only keep up with the manga nowadays as I can't stand the melting iceberg level of pacing the anime.

It makes you think if adding filler episode/arcs in the end is preferable to stretching out the main plot. I don't watch OP but I know many that do, and it seems that barely anything gets to happen in one episode. Honestly speaking, I think there are some really good filler arcs out there (OP apparently has one of them, ironically) and I think I'd rather have a season per year or a longer, well-made filler arc than a horribly slowed down main story.

Edit: Is there any way of knowing how well DBS is doing internationally? I mean the world wide streaming on Crunchyroll and Daisuki should indicate that there was quite the demand for it, but do we have numbers?
There is a Toonami ratings thread that provides an indication of how well Dragon Ball Super perform on American TV. And I created a thread to keep track of how well Super perform on DVD and Blu Ray in Japan and in America.

I'm not about how well the show has performed in other countries though.