"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:03 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:Looks like U6 may be on their way to being eliminated with all this focus on them in the coming episodes... :think: and what’s this “Birth of a New Super Warrior”? Hmm...
Maybe Kale controlling her Berserk form?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:20 pm

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
pacz360 wrote: What so bad about him?
Happy Toshio is writing episode 112
He's not that good of a writer, easily DBS weakest that said he has been part of some decent episodes so not all hope is lost, average is probably the best he's been. For example he was responsible for Kale's debut while simultaneously Goku going to Hell to talk to Freeza , Freeza thing was handled fairly well but the Kale/U6 Saiyans part was absolutely dreadful.
That is kind of overdoing it. It wasn't dreadful by any means. Couldn't it been written better? Maybe. But dreadful is going over. And just calling Goku going to Hell to talk to Freeza 'fairly well' is underplay since people thought it was brilliantly written.
The art direction and atmosphere definitely helped elevate the Hell scene but that said Fukushima did his job well with that scene he used tact for once, opposite of how the Kale thing was handled, which makes him all the more frustrating 'cuz it shows he can write things well.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: The art direction and atmosphere definitely helped elevate the Hell scene but that said Fukushima did his job well with that scene he used tact for once, opposite of how the Kale thing was handled, which makes him all the more frustrating 'cuz it shows he can write things well.
Again, not sure how the Kale's scene was 'dreadful' just because it could have been written better.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:03 pm

Kinokima wrote:
Chuquita wrote: Agreed. It's not a bad arc, I've just become so accustomed to getting 13 to 15 episode arcs from this series that having one that lasts what may be an entire year is a bit much for me. I think I would like this arc more if it were the same length as the other arcs are. It doesn't help that I think I can see the ending coming a mile away (somebody uses the wish to wish everyone back who was erased by the Omni Kings) and I kind of hope the ending isn't as obviously choreographed as that.

Tournament arcs for me are always about the individual fights more than the endings anyways. I've never been a particularly big fan of Tournaments despite them being such a staple of Shounen action. That being said I do find a lot to enjoy about this arc. My favorite aspect is seeing characters interaction/team work that we normally wouldn't get (although there seems less of that in these upcoming episodes which is a bit disappointing to me).

But I would be lying if I am not already thinking what type of arc is after this and hoping we leave tournaments behind for a bit.
Lately I've been feeling like this tournament is intended just as set-up for the status quo of the series going forward. Examining the relationships between the gods, mortals and kais, bringing back Frieza, the hanging Super DB wish, the master/pupil relationships forming between the Saiyans. It all seems like really long foreplay. I'm really interested in seeing what comes next.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:21 pm

Kishido wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Well, nothing really impressive coming from these previews:

111: Goku new forms doesn't works, but he's not eliminated just severely damaged. About Hit vs. Jiren we all know how this match is going to end.
112: Cabba vs. Vegeta? Vegeta curbstomps or they might be even if somehow Cabba learned to turn SSJ Blue.
113 and 114: Goku vs. Caulifla and Kale? I admit this might be interesting, but I'm curious about... Who is the new Super Warrior? :think:

And as someone said before the composition of this arc is indeed terrible :yawn:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:28 pm

Noah wrote:
112: Cabba vs. Vegeta? Vegeta curbstomps or they might be even if somehow Cabba learned to turn SSJ Blue.

No way this is too soon for something like this. This would be worse than Caulifla so easily going SSJ2.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:34 pm

"Composition of the arc is terrible"

What does that even meeeeeeean?
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:45 pm

Boo Machine wrote:"Composition of the arc is terrible"

I think they're referring to the sum of all parts in regards to the arc. The writing, the pacing, the tone of narrative, the animation, art-syle and direction. For some people, it feels all thought everything that is being used to put this arc together feels so inconsistent and widely varied that it is not onlu hurting the quality of the the Tournament Of Power, but of the grand narrative the Universal Survival arc as a whole.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:54 pm

Oh, Well, that makes more sense then. I've just never heard anyone say the composition of an arc sucked before.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:00 pm

Noah wrote:
Well, nothing really impressive coming from these previews:

111: Goku new forms doesn't works, but he's not eliminated just severely damaged. About Hit vs. Jiren we all know how this match is going to end.
113 and 114: Goku vs. Caulifla and Kale? I admit this might be interesting, but I'm curious about... Who is the new Super Warrior? :think:

And as someone said before the composition of this arc is indeed terrible :yawn:
Why would it be anymore interesting this time around?

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:03 pm

The Vegeta episode sounds boring. Hope it at least focuses more on Cabba rather than him.

U3 seems to finally do something, but the episode sounds like quite a bore.

Hit vs Jiren sounds great, though, and at least I can look forward to the Kale, Caulifla and the "super warrior" stuff after that. Will be fun to see more of Kale in her slim state and then turning into her Broly one, but this time keeping her agency like against the Pride Troopers.

The pacing is fucked, though.
Last edited by Draconic on Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Draconic wrote:The Vegeta episode sounds boring. Hope it at least focuses more on Cabba rather than him.
And I sincerely hope you are wrong. Vegeta and Cabba focused episode is cool but just Cabba no thank you! Vegeta's name is in the title though so it would be strange for him not to have any focus.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:10 pm

Kinokima wrote:
Draconic wrote:The Vegeta episode sounds boring. Hope it at least focuses more on Cabba rather than him.
And I sincerely hope you are wrong. Vegeta and Cabba focused episode is cool but just Cabba no thank you! Vegeta's name is in the title though so it would be strange for him not to have any focus.
I wouldn't be surprised if vegeta help cabba achieve ssj2 in his fight against monna

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:16 pm

pacz360 wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if vegeta help cabba achieve ssj2 in his fight against monna
It that is what happens then it will definitely be boring.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:26 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
I dont see how considering toshio behind it and his episodes been stellar recently
Plus its better than him going ssjb with no explanation

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:31 pm

Kinokima wrote:
Can't say I agree. I find Vegeta to be boring as hell, and Cabba has failed to make me interested in him as well. I will say this, Toshio wrote 107 and I loved Vegeta there. He's writing 112 with Vegeta's Resolve there so I have some hope that this might be exciting. But I don't know if he can do it. I have to see how he tackles Cabba, cause I have as much interest in Cabba as I had in Tenshinhan.
pacz360 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
pacz360 wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if vegeta help cabba achieve ssj2 in his fight against monna
I dont see how considering toshio behind it and his episodes been stellar recently
Plus its better than him going ssjb with no explanation
Whether people will end up finding it boring or not is their opinion, but I do agree that Toshio's episodes (104 and 107) are well-written episodes regardless if people liked them or not imo.

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:34 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I'm glad they're playing more with the pupil master role with Vegeta/Cabba and Goku/Caulifla... Just a shame Fukishima is writing the Goku/Caulifla episode... /:
Ajay said in his Youtube channel he's pretty bad writing, and you can't tell why since they're hinting us Goku will gain stamina from fightin (?????). Since when zenkai works like that with saiyajins? Am I missing something?

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:48 pm

Jigurashi wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
Can't say I agree. I find Vegeta to be boring as hell, and Cabba has failed to make me interested in him as well. I will say this, Toshio wrote 107 and I loved Vegeta there. He's writing 112 with Vegeta's Resolve there so I have some hope that this might be exciting. But I don't know if he can do it. I have to see how he tackles Cabba, cause I have as much interest in Cabba as I had in Tenshinhan.

Well that's your opinion and I respect it but as Vegeta is my favorite I am happy to finally have another episode that focuses on him. We all have our favorite characters after all.

As for what Vegeta is or isn't going to teach Cabba who the hell knows. I do think the idea of Goku/Caulifa and Vegeta/Cabba is interesting (despite the fact that they should be training Goten and Trunks lol) but I also think them as mentors to these characters would be more interesting outside a tournament arc where they are also competing against the characters. This is why I am really hoping for an arc on Sadala. It has so much potential. Though I'd desperately want Trunks and Goten to be part of that arc as well.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:48 pm

Boo Machine wrote:"Composition of the arc is terrible"

Series composition. The overall structure of the arc and how it will be paced which is decided by the director and head writer during the planning stages and sometimes producers as well. This arc's pacing and structure is terrible. That's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:53 pm

pacz360 wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
Man, if Caulifla has SSJ2, Cabba deserves to be a step above the two of them OR AT LEAST on par with them. By no means am I saying Cabba deserves Blue yet, but definitely deserves to be in a better position they've been having him in. Hopefully his episode redeems him.
How i predict the tournament will end: