Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by IGhostUlt » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:02 am

I feel like Shida was barely in this episode to be honest.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:00 am

I'm disappointed that so much Spirit Bomb filler and reused animation kept us from more great animation. I prefer Episode 66 to be honest
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:10 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:I'm disappointed that so much Spirit Bomb filler and reused animation kept us from more great animation. I prefer Episode 66 to be honest
just some one piece fan jealous of what happened on super and just trying to make this special feel like it was bad while it was great reused animation was like 10 seconds of 50 minutes show
and all in all it was amazing you can't deny it it went way over 66

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:13 am

Nasryyy wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:I'm disappointed that so much Spirit Bomb filler and reused animation kept us from more great animation. I prefer Episode 66 to be honest
just some one piece fan jealous of what happened on super and just trying to make this special feel like it was bad while it was great reused animation was like 10 seconds of 50 minutes show
and all in all it was amazing you can't deny it it went way over 66
Did I not just call the animation great and implied that I wanted more? I'm sorry but the Spirit Bomb filler took away opportunities for more great animation and hell, I felt the same about the One Piece special. I thought that Episode 66 was better though, mainly because it was shorter so there was less padding. Don't get so heated over a difference in opinion. The episode was great where it mattered but I wish there was more, and more of Shida specifically
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:26 am

SansrivaaL wrote: This is why we need Yuya Takahashi in Dragon Ball! he makes everything 100x better! Died for a few seconds after this scene.. I was in awe!
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Damn you beat me to it, I was pretty late though :lol:
So many beautiful shots of Goku's new form, the discord went crazy :lol:

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:04 am

If I was a betting man, I'd say that this special is the best animated piece to come from the DB animes. Bar none. It was just wonderful.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

zamasu121
Beyond Newbie

Post by zamasu121 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:05 am

SansrivaaL wrote: This is why we need Yuya Takahashi in Dragon Ball! he makes everything 100x better! Died for a few seconds after this scene.. I was in awe!
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:23 am

Anyone know the animator list for next week's episode? Can we expect anything even close to the quality of this week's episodes?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:26 am

Timetraveller wrote:Anyone know the animator list for next week's episode? Can we expect anything even close to the quality of this week's episodes?
Not yet. We'll only get a complete list of the animators involved in the episode until after it airs. But what we do know is that Chihiro Tanaka and Yasuhiro Namatame will be the animation supervisors for the next weeks episode.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:15 am

MajinMan wrote:If I was a betting man, I'd say that this special is the best animated piece to come from the DB animes. Bar none. It was just wonderful.
Not even the animation the art was amazing this episode too!!. Tbh these 40 mins I think we're even better than any DB movie that's how good this was!

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:57 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Timetraveller wrote:Anyone know the animator list for next week's episode? Can we expect anything even close to the quality of this week's episodes?
Not yet. We'll only get a complete list of the animators involved in the episode until after it airs. But what we do know is that Chihiro Tanaka and Yasuhiro Namatame will be the animation supervisors for the next weeks episode.
What's their reputation like as animators? Have they done anything noteworthy for DBS?

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:04 pm

I was kinda disappointed with the second half, I feel like Shida should have handled the main bulk of UI Goku vs Jiren part of the fight. Tate had almost absolutely no choreography going on, it was pretty much composed of quasi repeating frames.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Timetraveller wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
What's their reputation like as animators? Have they done anything noteworthy for DBS?
Yasuhiro Namatame has a pretty good CV and is very much appreciated as well as received. Yasuhiro Namatame credits including serving as Animation Supervisor for Tiger Mask W, One Piece: Heart of Gold and Casshern Sins (All excellently animated and I would recommend checking out).

Chihiro Tanaka is less of known name and I wouldn't really know what kind of reputation Chihiro Tanaka has.

Neither of them have done anything noteworthy for Super yet. Chihiro Tanaka usually only supervises an episode when he has to lead Studio Wanpack (an external support studio) to having respectable animation and art style for either one half of an episode or an entire episode.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Wowza there was some really nice SSGSS shots in this special, added to the album!:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Also made an album for Ultra Instinct (everyone already posted those fantastic shots so won't bother).

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:27 pm

Even though without Nakamura/Nagamine directing/storyboard the Special, I can't see how the Special, especially episode 110, could look any better.
No doubt Super has a lot of talented staff and if the show have had a good schedule since the beginning, it would have been much better as a whole.

I believe Nakamura/Nagamine will handle more episodes and even though this Tournament may not have more "Special episodes", I still expect more big episodes coming.
I'm also expecting the Second Opening to be used as insert song later.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:09 pm

I may sound way too optimistic but I expect another top quality episode for the second Goku vs Jiren fight.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:44 pm

emperior wrote:I may sound way too optimistic but I expect another top quality episode for the second Goku vs Jiren fight.
Don't think that is too optimistic tbh, Toei obviously knew this wasn't the finale so it wouldn't make sense for them to pure everything into this and have this be the highlight of the arc. Plus the likes of Takahashi and Shida were pretty limited furthermore some other good key animators weren't on this so I'd say it's probably a safe bet we'll get something equally as good (if not better). But what I'm curious about is Shida, perhaps this wasn't the ToP cut he was working on? I found his involvement here to be pretty strange, really.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:59 pm

Animator's Corner is back and updated!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:09 pm

emperior wrote:I may sound way too optimistic but I expect another top quality episode for the second Goku vs Jiren fight.
I think it's a given that they will go all out on the climax episode.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:35 pm

I hope they dont have Tate run half of the main battle on the 2nd Goku V Jiren (if they ever get one again), while yeah Tate did fine but his cuts/animation is really not up my alley, quite sad he took more than half of MG Goku V Jiren (music saved it and some in betweens that wasnt from him) not a fan of his character movements and art at all (after the hype slowly dying out on me I soon realized ''why couldnt it have been Shida or Yuya? why Tate!'') I hope the opposite happens the next time they fight and Shida or Yuya does the long ones while Tate helps out in betweens, this sums up my minor nitpick on the special, everything was good till Tate popped out.