Super Episode 109-110 (8 October 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 109-110 (8 October 2017)

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:24 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Bullza wrote:Pretty much every reaction I've seen of this, people can't stand Ribrianne.

I don't like her either but she seems to be really hated. Probably more so than any other Super character so far.
I didn't mind her gimmick at first but whenever she's on screen she eats up a ton of time while accomplishing absolutely nothing of note.
Funny thing is that for the entire double episode/special she only had about five minutes. Yet I've seen people complain she was in like half of Episode 109, which is total bullshit.

I personally find Ribrianne a very enjoyable character. It would be funny if most of the complaints about Ribrianne were from YT comments. And that were the case, I wouldn't really take any of that shit seriously.
I have come to really care less and less about YouTube comments cause it is just a bandwagon effect. I wonder how many are real in the end and how much is just get flamewars going. The only real comments are ones that go into detail or are postive since that is one in 100 on any youtube channel, I see this in nearly any youtube comment section now about anything sadly really.

So to go by Youtube comments as serious I agree is a waste, it is famous for being all hate and flamewars, videos have been made just about this effect that happens nearly to much of the time. :roll:

Glad you Find Ribrianne Very Enjoyable Lord Beerus, Nice to meet another that enjoys her. :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:28 pm

CJStriker great to see you still supporting Ribrianne! You know I was still rooting for her to get booted this episode but I liked the latter half of her interactions here. The stuff with Jiren was funny and I like that they gave her an ambition with becoming the God of love. That being said it wasn't all good, the Super Ribrianne transformation was pretty lame (just adding little fairy wings, I guess that was the joke) and she might not be able to do it on her own without the glow sticks, but that's probably a good thing as she kind of needs to receive love to transform.

All in all this episode was good for her character. You know what, I kind of don't think Ribrianne would be receiving any hate if she was some typical hot anime chick which I guess is an accurate reflection of the world.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:37 pm

I don't think Ribrianne is that bad, I could do without her but at least she's a bit different.

They should have had her fight in her ordinary form though. The fat Ribrianne form looks ugly and reminds me of something from GT.

People do seem to be going a bit overboard with it though. At least her powers are somewhat different.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:42 pm

nato25 wrote:CJStriker great to see you still supporting Ribrianne! You know I was still rooting for her to get booted this episode but I liked the latter half of her interactions here. The stuff with Jiren was funny and I like that they gave her an ambition with becoming the God of love. That being said it wasn't all good, the Super Ribrianne transformation was pretty lame (just adding little fairy wings, I guess that was the joke) and she might not be able to do it on her own without the glow sticks, but that's probably a good thing as she kind of needs to receive love to transform.

All in all this episode was good for her character. You know what, I kind of don't think Ribrianne would be receiving any hate if she was some typical hot anime chick which I guess is an accurate reflection of the world.
I am a man of Respect and Honor so indeed thanks for the respect and honor you just gave me in my support for Ribrianne! :thumbup:

Even thought we can't agree on all, we can enjoy parts that we like and honestly allot of times that is enough. Any fortune into the relm of the possible is ok by me. The Transformation is a typical style of magical girls so it worked well to homage that IMO. But indeed I don't think that is her last transformation either, we will see, but it is possible.

I felt this was still a good episode for her, still shows she is strong and funny at the same-time, Episodes like this make me like her more then before for new reasons, glad you saw it was a good one for her too.

As for maybe if she was a typical skinny girl she maybe get less...........possible but really I cannot say or rather not truly speculate excerpt for that has not helped Caulifla and Kale much, so the march still is their, but I don't take many streams of the dislike for any of them to seriously anymore. I look for substance from fans that lead to good debate.

This is NOT My 1st Fandom have been apart of that had character(s) seemingly disliked so much, being told they are allot. But in the end My Side always Won those battles and the character gained respect in the areas they needed too. This is just the next character to be in the arena and she will not be the last ~~~ I am a Seasoned Veteran of This, my Resolve is not Iron ~~~ It is Adamantium! ;)

I CHOOSE to come here to Represent Ribrianne/Brianne de Chateau Fandom, Brianne is the Reason why I am with You all, to show Fandom is indeed here for her and to support other fans of the Like. ;)

Good to have this Dicussion with you, Peace and Honor to You! :thumbup:
My #1 in DB!

freak27

Post by freak27 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:45 pm

I would like to point out that 20x Kaioken is twice as strong than 10x.

Are we still debating if Goku is stronger than Beerus in this form?

Seems pretty obvious to me that he is.

What do u guys think?

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:50 pm

SaiyanZ wrote:
Artorias wrote:
SaiyanZ wrote:Disappointed as usual in the writing, from Toshio Yoshitaka having Goku use a Genki Dama on someone he knows is a good guy, to the explanation for the form. At least the animation was pretty cool and the music at first was nice to listen to. Shouldn't really be surprised that Super fucked up this badly on a special they had been hyping for a month, but for w/e reason it still astounds me on how bad they are.
Your expectations are out of whack if this seriously disappointed you that much. Wasn't even close to a "fuck up". They nailed pretty much everything except the writing in CERTAIN parts. That's not enough to warrant that severe of a reaction.
I wasn't expecting great writing considering who was writing the eps and just how terrible Super is in general. Between that, what I said (which were the important parts essentially) and Goku in his Ultra Instinct-Omen state vs Jiren being under 3 min in a 52 min TV "special" that has been heavily hyped and marketed for a month, yes, I do consider it a failure. But like I said, the animation was cool and some of the music was on point, at least early on.
Well I guess we perceive content differently, because to me, if a big pop-corn special such as this nails the fighting, build up, tension, animation, music etc...they've already succeeded where they needed to. Everything else is fluff, provided that there are no MAJOR plot holes/instances of terrible writing, which there aren't.
Bullza wrote:
Artorias wrote:But they'd be right. The series DOES do a LOT wrong.
All the different series do a lot wrong.
C'mon. You know this series does WAY more wrong than the previous two series.
Asura wrote:
Did it really only last 3 minutes? Because I wouldn't be surprised. How fast the fight came and went was one of my major complaints for this episode. Surprised that no one else is really taking issue with how rushed all the fighting was.
First off, it definitely was more than 3 freakin minutes. And again, I don't know what you guys were expecting. No one in their right minds expected 15 minutes of straight up constant action. And even still, it didn't need to have an entire episode of raw fighting to be compelling. There's more to it than just throwing punches and kicks. So many of the best moments had nothing to do with the actual fighting.
Last edited by Artorias on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:53 pm

As with almost everybody, i found the episode amazing. I wish there was a way i could have been less spoiled, but i just can't help myself. :)

Some comments on general things:

Vegeta not giving power to genki dama: I think people are looking at it from an omniscient point of view and not what it would be like being there at the moment. Vegeta is an MVP in the tournament for universe 7. Giving up his power will affect his strategy eliminating the other 20-30 or so opponents left. And there was no indication that the Genki dama would even *work*. In fact, it did not (although it did help Goku unlock a new form, but there is no way of knowing that beforehand). I think Vegeta is showing he is willing to help in other ways, but not for one giant shared attack. So I'm not too bothered by it, personally.

Ribrianne: I think she has character development to undergo here, or something weird is going on (maybe because I'm not into Shoujo i don't quite get it?) What does all her love attacks even mean, and what is all this plotting she has with Helles? Like, Goku is not "anti-love" -- he is a pretty pure spirit, all things considered. His first thought for wishes are helping his family and he has displayed ample love for Muten Roshi in this tournament. Does Ribrianne not understand what love is or is love code for something else in Universe 2 (or in Helle's mind?). What does a Goddess of Love even do? Her sort of immature approach to her small crush on Jiren seems to indicate to me that she doesn't have much experience with love other than as an abstract form of Ki control. Anyway, I think she is a fun subversion character and i like that she is not a stereotypical design (her rotundness is refreshing and fun). It is sort of like Zarbon, a character that sheds stereotypical beauty for greater power.

As for the meat of the episode: insert song for a transformation! yes! That is what I was missing. :D

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:56 pm

freak27 wrote:I would like to point out that 20x Kaioken is twice as strong than 10x.

Are we still debating if Goku is stronger than Beerus in this form?

Seems pretty obvious to me that he is.

What do u guys think?
When Goku actually surpass Beerus, if he ever does, it will be spelled out to us. I don`t think this is it.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:58 pm

Artorias wrote:C'mon. You know this series does WAY more wrong than the previous two series.
Nothing of too much significance. The thing it mainly got wrong was the animation but that was a problem from over a year ago.

Perhaps some story quibbles and inconsistencies here and there but nothing too drastic and not as bad as what Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z had because of the filler which made up about 40% of the whole series.

Better fights, better character usage, better pacing etc. What it might do wrong it offsets by doing other things right.

Considering its not based on a manga but plot points and is written by half a dozen different people it could have a whole lot more going wrong for it than it actually does.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:01 pm

Super is alright. The biggest crime is aiming to be a send off to a franchise while it shits on a few fan favorites.

So far, thought. All it takes is one good episode with actual plot for those characters.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:06 pm

Bullza wrote:
Artorias wrote:C'mon. You know this series does WAY more wrong than the previous two series.
Nothing of too much significance. The thing it mainly got wrong was the animation but that was a problem from over a year ago.

Perhaps some story quibbles and inconsistencies here and there but nothing too drastic and not as bad as what Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z had because of the filler which made up about 40% of the whole series.

Better fights, better character usage, better pacing etc. What it might do wrong it offsets by doing other things right.

Considering its not based on a manga but plot points and is written by half a dozen different people it could have a whole lot more going wrong for it than it actually does.
I know this a tired debate at this point but....the series suffers from way more than just animation woes. I'm sure you and I are both aware of all of the problems people have with this show, so I won't bother to list them, but if you can shrug those off then well...good on you I guess. I certainly can't.

I also disagree with all three of the "better" things you just listed, and I don't really know how you can even defend any of those.

"Better fights"? Well Super has better individual cuts of animation, sure, but on the whole it's not even close. The average DBZ fight is still far more engaging than the average Super fight, which still suffers from atrocious choreography and occasional mediocre to bad animation. I think most of us would agree the "intensity" of the fights back in the day is long gone in Super.

"Better character usage"? I don't have a clue how you came to that conclusion. Z certainly wasn't the best when it came to utilizing it's cast of characters, but it certainly gave them more to do than Super. DBS has been the Goku and Vegeta show for it's entirety up until this arc.

"Better pacing"? This is kinda subjective, but while DBZ is obviously far too slow, Super has overcorrected in my mind and blows by everything WAY too fast. They don't even let anything breath, it's just zipping form one story point to the next, one fight to the next, with no real significant plot developments in between (funnily enough this arc actually suffered from that classic DBZ slow pacing with the recruitment episodes, which undeniably dragged on far too long)

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:10 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Bullza wrote:Pretty much every reaction I've seen of this, people can't stand Ribrianne.

I don't like her either but she seems to be really hated. Probably more so than any other Super character so far.
I didn't mind her gimmick at first but whenever she's on screen she eats up a ton of time while accomplishing absolutely nothing of note.
Funny thing is that for the entire double episode/special she only had about five minutes. Yet I've seen people complain she was in like half of Episode 109, which is total bullshit.

I personally find Ribrianne a very enjoyable character. It would be funny if most of the complaints about Ribrianne were from YT comments. And that were the case, I wouldn't really take any of that shit seriously.
I think part of that is the consequence of people watching the episode on Fuji or streams of. With the bumpers, commercials and what not included, that segment did last until about 12 minutes in. There was a fair bit of fluff at the beginning.

It looks like Goku has become part of Frieza's machinations against the gods. When Goku unloads on Jiren and all the gods are flipping their crap, we get this cut-away to Frieza-sama:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Then he shows up at the end, most likely to give Goku some of his energy. Goku himself said way back in the U6 tournament that they were just pawns of the gods "for now." The two of them possibly finding common ground on a plot point like that has amazing potential. But what could Frieza really be up to? :think:

Frieza has showed some amazing development in this arc. When he was faced with stronger enemies on Namek and Resurrection F, he went into screaming fits and acted like a fool. Here he feels Jiren's massive ki and he just smiles. "My, what a monster." He's been 100% chill the whole time. I love it.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:15 pm

Bullza wrote:I don't think Ribrianne is that bad, I could do without her but at least she's a bit different.

They should have had her fight in her ordinary form though. The fat Ribrianne form looks ugly and reminds me of something from GT.

People do seem to be going a bit overboard with it though. At least her powers are somewhat different.
Hey Bullza, Indeed being different is a good thing but it is a double-edge sword, Sometimes it is Different that gets some rilled-up, but that is par for the course, I have seen it before. This will not be the last character in this franchise to do that, but as time goes on the ones getting it the most die down and people move on. Again allot of it is nothing dislike, better to stick to those that give substance debates.

I still Love her Transformed state, but I be all for her humanbase fighting just to see how cool she looks doing it!

As for Overboard, it is always overboard for awhile, point it to stick to your fandom and push for the best while meeting new fans of the character and showing we are here in and like who we like. :thumbup:
My #1 in DB!

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 pm

OLKv3 wrote:Thoughts on this?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
He is the god that beat Beerus in an arm wrestling match. Why should he be worried?

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:29 pm

I love Freeza's line about how there's essentially a monster (Jiren) lurking in the arena and how composed he was. He's smart enough to not get involved in that. I also love the scene of where Goku sends the Genki Dama onto Jiren and all of U7 look so confident about it until the failure sound effects start playing and you just see Jiren push it back with one hand.

As for the NEP: I fully expect the fight to either get interrupted or end with Hitto's defeat. I don't think he'll get absolutely downright stomped, but I don't see him pushing Jiren to the very limit. Jiren looked like he was wrecking Hitto for most of that preview. Just 6 more days until the episode I'm so excited. Goku VS Jiren was absolutely awesome. Hopefully Hitto VS Jiren ends up being a great fight as well.

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Holy crap! This sensation... this feeling that came over me as I watched the latest episodes... It was amazing! And also somewhat... nostalgic. I enjoyed the whole special, and as I watched I continued to feel more and more like I had been sent through some time warp to over twenty years in the past. I certainly enjoyed it but kept wondering why this all seemed so familiar. Like a feeling I last experienced long ago when Goku first turned ssj. Then we get to the end of the episode where Freeza mentions that this brings back memories of planet Namek, and everything suddenly clicked. Goku fighting an opponent that totally outclasses him, using Kaiouken X20 to no avail, resorting to the Genki Dama, emerging from the rubble to suddenly reach a new form that suddenly made him equal to his godly opponent... This is all exactly what happened back in the Freeza saga! It even has the "one episode equals about one minute" wackiness going on! :lol:

As I watched the part where Goku progressed through forms against Jiren, I started to think that this arc so far has had practically every ssj form except ssj3 which Goku skipped. Somebody needs to turn ssj3 by the end of the tourney so it can be declared the greatest ssj-all-form bargain sale ever... Caulifla!

And the Genki Dama being strong makes sense to me if one considers both of its energy gathering properties. It was explained in its debut that it gathers a little energy from everything from people to inanimate objects involuntarily. It can also draw a lot of energy from a person if they offer it up voluntarily like against Buu. That's why Goku said it wasn't enough after he thanked the fighters from universe 7 (except Vegeta who clearly wants to conserve his strength) that pitched in, and then said that it would take too long to gather enough; he had received his voluntary contribution and now needed to gather it slowly from involuntary contributors. That could get pretty strong considering all the gods and strong fighters sitting around. However, it would take a long time to do, but Goku was lucky enough for Jiren to be a good sport and just wait it out to prove himself.
On a side note, that rumor about the Genki Dama being unable to hurt anybody good needs to go die in a fire. I'm tempted to say that piece of misinformation has gotten even more out of hand than the dumb old "Gohan didn't turn ssj against Buu because the Earth would've blown up" rumor that used to be everywhere. lol

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:34 pm

The Monkey King wrote:
Cipher wrote:Do people hate Ribrianne because they're embarrassed to admit they're watching a show with Ribrianne in it?

Because Ribrianne wouldn't even crack the top five for me in terms of embarrassing things in Dragon Ball, and her fight and comedy beats this episode were solid.

Some fragile sense of masculinity here.
Nah people have just gotten tired of her "Love this", "Love that" and "blah blah maiden" shtick, it's gotten old and boring super quick.

Also take your "fragile masculinity" nonsense back to your Tumblr page and keep it there please.
Disliking Ribrianne has nothing to do with masculinity. I'm pretty sure most people are just tired of her antics and hearing about the power of love and crap like that. If I wanted to see stuff like that, I'd watch sailor moon or Fairy Tale.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:40 pm

Artorias wrote:And even still, it didn't need to have an entire episode of raw fighting to be compelling. There's more to it than just throwing punches and kicks. So many of the best moments had nothing to do with the actual fighting.
I disagree. I would have been more invested in it had I seen more of Goku's struggle against Jiren. Show us just how hard he's trying against Jiren. At the end of the day this is an anime about martial arts and fighting, so I want to see a lot of martial arts and fighting, especially for the main event (or one of the main events) of the tournament. There are obviously things in this anime other than martial arts and fighting that the show does well in, but the series as a whole was built on martial arts and fighting, ever since the original Dragon Ball's conception.

People fell in love with Z because of the fighting. They fell in love with it because fights lasted longer than 5 minutes. You really get a sense of epicness when a fight goes on for multiple episodes, and it just adds more to the hype and the tension to see fighters try out new tricks and abilities to win against their opponent. Goku went through all of his tricks and abilities in five minutes. Give us a damn good fight with Goku in Blue/continually adding up Kaioken for awhile. Lets see some more reactions from everyone watching in the arena. We saw Caulifla, Kale, Cabba, Hit and Ribrianne among others, all of whom said nothing during the entire fight. I'd rather hear their opinions on whats going on instead of seeing Krillin/Roshi/Tien/Shin talk amongst themselves over and over again. It would add more to the fight knowing that these characters have something to say about either Goku or Jiren since they're all still fighters in the tournament who have to eventually fight the winner.

Seriously, am I the only one who wants more fighting in my fighting anime? These episodes were obviously very good and easily within the top 5% of episodes in all of Super, I just wish everything didn't feel so damn rushed. Give me an entire episode of SSB Goku vs Jiren before even prepping the spirit bomb. Let me see just how futile Goku's struggle is against him. Let me see Goku trying new things in a desperate attempt to do some damage to him before he resorts to the spirit bomb. I want to see these things, not in a span of 5 minutes, but in a span of 20 minutes.

Sadly though we live in an age where people want things now now now. No one has any patience anymore, they want to digest as much as they can every week because waiting another week is oh so long and terrible. It explains why no one had a problem with how many episodes Z had before, and now people complain that even Kai has fights that last too long.

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:41 pm

Both episodes where awesome, it was worth the wait, Goku's new form rocks!, I bet he will be able to use it again since we all know, there is going to be a rematch for sure.

Things I liked:

1-Goku using all of his transformations to compare his strength against Jiren.
2-The scene where Vermoud speaks to Jiren telephatically, I liked it a lot, Vermoud's facial expression while talking to Jiren is exactly what I expect for a "Clown"
3-The fact we finally got a shot of the U6 namekians, even tough it's barely noticeable.
4-All of Goku SSB vs Jiren fight.
5-Goku's transformacion scene.
6-Limit breaker Goku vs Jiren fight.
7-Final scene with our boy Frieza, of course he is going to help Goku with energy.

Things I dislike about the special:

1-Ribrianne :x seriously, the first 9 minutes where so annoying to watch, it was pretty good to see her being kicked into oblivion by SSB Goku tough.
2-I find that the Genki Dama should have taken more time to be done.

Next week, Hit vs Jiren, I just hope that this doesn't means the end for Hit yet.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:42 pm

TheOne wrote:
The Monkey King wrote:
Cipher wrote:Do people hate Ribrianne because they're embarrassed to admit they're watching a show with Ribrianne in it?

Because Ribrianne wouldn't even crack the top five for me in terms of embarrassing things in Dragon Ball, and her fight and comedy beats this episode were solid.

Some fragile sense of masculinity here.
Nah people have just gotten tired of her "Love this", "Love that" and "blah blah maiden" shtick, it's gotten old and boring super quick.

Also take your "fragile masculinity" nonsense back to your Tumblr page and keep it there please.
Disliking Ribrianne has nothing to do with masculinity. I'm pretty sure most people are just tired of her antics and hearing about the power of love and crap like that. If I wanted to see stuff like that, I'd watch sailor moon or Fairy Tale.
I find it interesting, for example, their are characters in Dragon Ball Right now I particular don't like much, but never complain about. Yet for some reason some fans can't stop but have complaints about 1 character our of over 30+. Honestly it seems easy just to say not my cup of tea a move on.

Sorry to hear you don't like her but that is the Breaks, you have to watch characters you many not be found of same as the rest of the Fandom. Everyone has someone they are not found of, but we respect that character cause we know they have fans out their that do. For me, I love the fact I am Finally Seeing a character in Dragon Ball Homage Sailor Moon and Precure, In fact she and her theme is the only reason I am truly back as a dragon ball fan after feeling it was stale for so long.

Just cause she is not your cup of tea does not me she is not the Right and Perfect cup of tea for other. ;)

Each has their own and each should show respect even when they don't completely agree. It is about Peace and Honor to all, same is given to all.
My #1 in DB!