Kameha-con 2018!!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nato25
Advanced Regular

Kameha-con 2018!!

Post by nato25 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:23 pm

Super jealous of everyone in the states right now. While it does seem to heavily focused on the dub and a few YouTubers no doubt this would be an awesome event with the community. This is also the biggest group of dub voice actors ever in one place, in Australia we get them trickled out to us at a few random events. Would be so damn good to go!

One super weird thing, Linda Young is going as the voice as Frieza!

https://www.kamehacon.com/

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Re: Kameha-con 2018!!

Post by batistabus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:48 pm

It's a cool idea. While I was a fan of the English cast growing up, so far there's not much drawing me to this convention. Here's what I'd need in order to seriously consider going:

-Akira Toriyama (Okay, I'll be more reasonable from here on out.)
-Prominent members of the Japanese voice cast; specifically Nozawa, Nakao, Horikawa, and/or Furukawa
-Toyotaro

Things that wouldn't motivate me enough to go independently but would definitely sweeten the deal:

-a Kanzenshuu panel
-a Dragon Ball FighterZ tournament sponsored by Bandai Namco
-a TeamFourStar panel

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:53 pm

I think a Dragon Ball-only convention would need to be reliable enough to have big news there each and every time in order for people to take it seriously, kinda like what Sony pulled off with PSX. For example, a big one would be ViZ announcing a complete run for DB Full-Colour, or FUNi announcing and English Dragon Ball release in Box form.

I'm also unsure what the culture of the con will be like, but having the majority of the appearances be dub-only has me concerned that this con will just be for the DB Dub-Bro fans and will ignore anything remotely Japanese about the franchise.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:24 am

I'm likely going to be in Texas around that time anyway for business, so I may just go to this. I also agree that some new announcements from Funimation/Viz and Japanese voice actor appearances would make the con much more enticing. Maybe they could get some of the Latin American cast to travel up for it as well?
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:54 am

It's long overdue, and definitely something fans in the US can eat up.

I'm seriously considering attending although flights to Texas are quite pricey. There's probably no chance of it happening but if Akira Toriyama attended that would seal the deal for me.

Since Geekdom is hosting I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of surprises in store for the sub fans too.

Hopefully this will be one of many large scale Dragon Ball-exclusive conventions amongst other things (a streaming service for all the dubs perhaps?).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:31 am

For me without the Japanese guests it's not worth it. Though that's how I feel about every anime convention

And unfortunately as I live on the East Coast this isn't actually close to me.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:54 pm

I'd love to go to something like this. I know there won't be anything HUGE like Super's next arc being announced but I'd like something like the 3 OVAs being dubbed and released. Maybe a 2nd Dragon Box run ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:00 pm

If you live close by, I don't see why this wouldn't be a 100% for you.
El Conejo Malo

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:39 pm

Why has no one ever tried to have a Dragon Ball convention before? I've toyed with the idea of a Kanzen-con where Kanzenshuu members could meet up and discuss Dragon Ball and their experiences on the forum in person. Obviously this is difficult to do considering users here live across the world and such a convention would be expensive and inconvenient for many, but I'd still enjoy it and try to attend if it happened.
Also, you Americans are lucky in terms of Dragon Ball related stuff. You get Super and Kai on TV with no questions asked, have a large fanbase under the age of 21, and now you guys get a convention.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:10 am

That's...literally less than 30 minutes from me. Maybe I might consider going to this for a bit.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:03 am

Whoever is picking art for the website is doing a terrible job! Eww.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 am

floofychan333 wrote:Why has no one ever tried to have a Dragon Ball convention before? I've toyed with the idea of a Kanzen-con where Kanzenshuu members could meet up and discuss Dragon Ball and their experiences on the forum in person. Obviously this is difficult to do considering users here live across the world and such a convention would be expensive and inconvenient for many, but I'd still enjoy it and try to attend if it happened.
Also, you Americans are lucky in terms of Dragon Ball related stuff. You get Super and Kai on TV with no questions asked, have a large fanbase under the age of 21, and now you guys get a convention.

Though to be fair America is so big that for a lot of us it might as well be in another country. It's kind of like the equivalent if you live in Europe and the convention is in another country. Depending on where you live in the US it's either very close or still pretty far. Heck even if you live in Texas it's such a huge State.

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:04 pm

KBABZ wrote: this con will just be for the DB Dub-Bro fans and will ignore anything remotely Japanese about the franchise.
That term pretty much encapsulates the reason why I don't think this would be for me.

I came in here at first and was like "Oh wow, a whole convention for dragon ball, this could be pretty cool! I'm a fan of the more current dubs, and I would love to ask the cast some questions I don't often hear asked." Then I thought about it for a second, "Wait, I can hardly stand listening to a normal dub panel, and this would probably be a whole convention of maladjusted people asking "How do I become a voice actor?" "Say I am the hope of the universe!" or screeching "OVER 9000!" at each other. All while celebrating the "OG Dub" over any other aspect of the franchise. Eww no thanks."

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:40 pm

Out of curiosity, is it common for the official voice actors like these to attend an (apparently) unofficial event like this one? Or does "unofficial" just mean it's not supported by Japan?
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Whoever is picking art for the website is doing a terrible job! Eww.
Haha, I was thinking the same thing!

The art isn't awful, per se, but most of the renders I'm seeing are incredibly generic. Like, "grabbed off the first page of Google Images" generic. ;p
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:19 pm

Kaio_Krazy wrote:
KBABZ wrote: this con will just be for the DB Dub-Bro fans and will ignore anything remotely Japanese about the franchise.
That term pretty much encapsulates the reason why I don't think this would be for me.

I came in here at first and was like "Oh wow, a whole convention for dragon ball, this could be pretty cool! I'm a fan of the more current dubs, and I would love to ask the cast some questions I don't often hear asked." Then I thought about it for a second, "Wait, I can hardly stand listening to a normal dub panel, and this would probably be a whole convention of maladjusted people asking "How do I become a voice actor?" "Say I am the hope of the universe!" or screeching "OVER 9000!" at each other. All while celebrating the "OG Dub" over any other aspect of the franchise. Eww no thanks."

Well it's still pretty early since the con isn't until May. It's probably easy to get most of the dub actors since most live in Texas.

For the Japanese guests while they probably can't get everyone I'd hope they would get a few. It probably takes a bit more time to arrange that.

But yeah if it's just dub actors this con wouldn't be for me either. Now if they get Ryo Horikawa I may seriously consider. :D

Anime Kitten wrote:Out of curiosity, is it common for the official voice actors like these to attend an (apparently) unofficial event like this one? Or does "unofficial" just mean it's not supported by Japan?
Unofficial means it's not run by Toei or Funimation but by fans which honestly is how most anime conventions are run. And yes voice actors go to conventions like this all the time.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:13 pm

I hope they will announce the specials or dboxes and I wouldn't care if it was just subbed at this point.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:26 pm

This is NOT a dub-centric or dub-only con! Its just easier to book more English Dub VAs and get them signed because its in Dallas and there are WAY LESS fly-ins required.

You want Japanese Voice Actors?

You juuuuuuuuust wait... not gonna spoil any surprises. :wave:

You should know by now what I'm about as a purist. Trust me. Big surprises.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:35 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:This is NOT a dub-centric or dub-only con! Its just easier to book more English Dub VAs and get them signed because its in Dallas and there are WAY LESS fly-ins required.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I am definitely paying attention to this con. It's amazing timing considering I just got back into the series again. Though I can't commit until I know there is someone I am interested in that is coming.

My top seiyuu choices would be Ryo Horikawa and Mayumi Tanaka (though I imagine Tanaka would be very difficult) .

Norio Wakamoto and Takeshi Kusao would be cool too (Okay I imagine Wakamoto would be very hard too. Has he ever came to the US?). And of course Masako Nozawa although I really only know her from DB she is the heart of the series :)

Toyotaro and Toshio (I love how he interacts with fans on twitter) would be great guests too.

Sorry I dream big :D

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:19 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:This is NOT a dub-centric or dub-only con! Its just easier to book more English Dub VAs and get them signed because its in Dallas and there are WAY LESS fly-ins required.

Damn Geekdom replying on mm topic that's pretty sweet. Thanks for clearing that up, honestly it does seem very dub centric based on the website as it is now but good to hear there is some Japanese voice talent in the works to come down as well. Toyotaro would be an awesome get as well especially if he is keen to do interviews. If I didn't travel to America recently for the Pokemon World Championships in 2016 I'd be there.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:02 am

Kinokima wrote:

Thanks for keeping us updated. I am definitely paying attention to this con. It's amazing timing considering I just got back into the series again. Though I can't commit until I know there is someone I am interested in that is coming.

My top seiyuu choices would be Ryo Horikawa and Mayumi Tanaka (though I imagine Tanaka would be very difficult) .

Norio Wakamoto and Takeshi Kusao would be cool too (Okay I imagine Wakamoto would be very hard too. Has he ever came to the US?). And of course Masako Nozawa although I really only know her from DB she is the heart of the series :)

Toyotaro and Toshio (I love how he interacts with fans on twitter) would be great guests too.

Sorry I dream big :D

You're right about Mayumi Tanaka. Dealing with Japan is NOT EASY. I just want to ask for people to be patient.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ