"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:15 am

HeroR wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
It was consistent with their take on Magetta.
Yeah but it cemented their take on Magetta as a fail. I couldn't take the crying scene seriously because what I was seeing and what I was hearing didn't match at all
Well that is opinion since several people here don't mind or liked their take on Magetta. And the crying scene wasn't meant to be taken seriously even in the original version since the entire thing was big strong, nearly invincible Metal Man, crying because big bad Vegeta called him names.
I edited my post by the way. But it's an inaccurate take on Magetta. It doesn't matter if people like it, it changes his character. It makes him some stupid robot sounding thing. He doesn't sound convincing as a living organism at all which is what he's supposed to be

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:20 am

Forte224 wrote: I edited my post by the way. But it's an inaccurate take on Magetta. It doesn't matter if people like it, it changes his character. It makes him some stupid robot sounding thing. He doesn't sound convincing as a living organism at all which is what he's supposed to be
It really doesn't since Magetta is the same character in both. The only different is that Magetta speaks gibberish in the dub, while the Japanese version have him say the same word like a Pokemon. And Magetta in the Japanese version doesn't sound like a living creature either to the point that the cast in the Japanese version wondered if he was really organism based on his speaking pattern.
Forte224 wrote: Yeah but it cemented their take on Magetta as a fail. I couldn't take the crying scene seriously because what I was seeing and what I was hearing didn't match at all. By Funimation being consistent, I meant why can't they be consistent with their dubs? In Z they changed stuff unnecessarily, in Kai they were faithful, and now in Super they change stuff unnecessarily again. I know it's still better than the OG Z dub but, come on
Kai was more faithful, but even it has small changes in it, the same with Buu Kai. And their changes in Super are consistent with what they have done for the movies Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F'.
Last edited by HeroR on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:38 am

Forte224 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Forte224 wrote:So.......what do you guys think of Magetta's changes? I think they're stupid, unnecessary, and horrible. GG Funimation. I held out judgement until his crying scene to as show they'd handle it and it was still stupid. Why Funimation? Why can't you just be consistent?
Yeah but it cemented their take on Magetta as a fail. I couldn't take the crying scene seriously because what I was seeing and what I was hearing didn't match at all. By Funimation being consistent, I meant why can't they be consistent with their dubs? In Z they changed stuff unnecessarily, in Kai they were faithful, and now in Super they change stuff unnecessarily again. I know it's still better than the OG Z dub but, come on
Unnecessary sure I can agree with that, but I think the reaction to it is kind of over blown, after this episode that is it Magetta is done as a character in the show (not that there was much of a "character" to begin with) this wasn't a wild change like making Goku a heroic savour and not a selfish bastard, Magetta was a nonsensical character who spoke gibberish and that is exactly how he has portrayed in the dub, a nonsensical character spouting gibberish so fundamentally nothing has really changed. I understand why people like yourself have an issue with it, but it really isn't the end of the world that people are making it out to be.

If they changed Hit's backstory or something then that is something I would take issue with but y'know this is only Magetta.
Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Good showing for Sabat. Did really well up until point Schemmel had been stealing all the screams but this was a good showing.

Also I knew Vegeta used FF and Magetta's weakness but totally forgot about blowing the ring up and him almost ringing out.

Being so far behind the Japanese is definitely a blessing in disguise. That said I cannot wait for the dubbed episode 109-110. That's gonna be next levels of unreal!
Um, Sean hasn't been stealing al the screams. The show just hasn't had a lot of Vegeta getting fights up until this point in its story. Also, Goku's the main character & a glory hog. Of course he's gonna get more to do.
Well yeah that is what I meant this was Sabat's time to really shine and he did well, Schemmel has already had plenty (and killed them) and of course he has the big one coming up in #39..!! (Super duper pumped for that!!).

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:43 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Yeah but it cemented their take on Magetta as a fail. I couldn't take the crying scene seriously because what I was seeing and what I was hearing didn't match at all. By Funimation being consistent, I meant why can't they be consistent with their dubs? In Z they changed stuff unnecessarily, in Kai they were faithful, and now in Super they change stuff unnecessarily again. I know it's still better than the OG Z dub but, come on
Unnecessary sure I can agree with that, but I think the reaction to it is kind of over blown, after this episode that is it Magetta is done as a character in the show (not that there was much of a "character" to begin with) this wasn't a wild change like making Goku a heroic savour and not a selfish bastard, Magetta was a nonsensical character who spoke gibberish and that is exactly how he has portrayed in the dub, a nonsensical character spouting gibberish so fundamentally nothing has really changed. I understand why people like yourself have an issue with it, but it really isn't the end of the world that people are making it out to be.

If they changed Hit's backstory or something then that is something I would take issue with but y'know this is only Magetta.
Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Good showing for Sabat. Did really well up until point Schemmel had been stealing all the screams but this was a good showing.

Also I knew Vegeta used FF and Magetta's weakness but totally forgot about blowing the ring up and him almost ringing out.

Being so far behind the Japanese is definitely a blessing in disguise. That said I cannot wait for the dubbed episode 109-110. That's gonna be next levels of unreal!
Um, Sean hasn't been stealing al the screams. The show just hasn't had a lot of Vegeta getting fights up until this point in its story. Also, Goku's the main character & a glory hog. Of course he's gonna get more to do.
Well yeah that is what I meant this was Sabat's time to really shine and he did well, Schemmel has already had plenty (and killed them) and of course he has the big one coming up in #39..!! (Super duper pumped for that!!).
The show's not over yet. We could have episodes where we go explore Magetta's home planet and the way Funimation has established him could make it awkward.

As an aside, how do I quote just specific pieces of text without having to simply hit quote and then delete the stuff I don't want? Thanks

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:47 am

Forte224 wrote: The show's not over yet. We could have episodes where we go explore Magetta's home planet and the way Funimation has established him could make it awkward.

As an aside, how do I quote just specific pieces of text without having to simply hit quote and then delete the stuff I don't want? Thanks
We never even got an episode telling us what Freeza's species is, so why would Magetta get that kind of focused? And Funi didn't changed Magetta's personality, which is based on his movements and move set since he says the same word in the Japanese sub, which tells us nothing about him.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:06 am

is eric vale confirmed for the trunks arc? because if not I'm gonna pass. eric vale is my favorite voice actor in fumination cant wait to hear him as future trunks again. but if its gonna be someone else it will ruin it compleatly

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:16 am

gohan_black wrote:is eric vale confirmed for the trunks arc? because if not I'm gonna pass. eric vale is my favorite voice actor in fumination cant wait to hear him as future trunks again. but if its gonna be someone else it will ruin it compleatly
Eric Vale has always been Future Trunks in the FUNimation dubs so he'll be in Super
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:38 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
gohan_black wrote:is eric vale confirmed for the trunks arc? because if not I'm gonna pass. eric vale is my favorite voice actor in fumination cant wait to hear him as future trunks again. but if its gonna be someone else it will ruin it compleatly
Eric Vale has always been Future Trunks in the FUNimation dubs so he'll be in Super

He is pretty much confirmed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ericvale/sta ... 28?lang=en

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:21 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:

He is pretty much confirmed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ericvale/sta ... 28?lang=en
I hope he mellows out on the "rasp". It was unbearable in Xenoverse 2

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:29 am

Lord Beerus wrote: I hope he mellows out on the "rasp". It was unbearable in Xenoverse 2
No voice should be measured by how they sound in Xenoverse. His performance should be based on how he sounded Kai if anything.
Kanassa wrote:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:33 am

HeroR wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: I hope he mellows out on the "rasp". It was unbearable in Xenoverse 2
No voice should be measured by how they sound in Xenoverse.
So true it hurts. Yeah I do hope he tones down a bit of rasp from Kai as well but I'll be happy regardless. I just really want to see how he handles some of the later stuff in the Arc. Should be great

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:03 pm

Forte224 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
So true it hurts. Yeah I do hope he tones down a bit of rasp from Kai as well but I'll be happy regardless. I just really want to see how he handles some of the later stuff in the Arc. Should be great
what do you guys mean by ''rasp''?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:32 pm

gohan_black wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
what do you guys mean by ''rasp''?
When a voice sounds "raspy", as in it is hoarse or harsh-sounding.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:26 pm

Who else is excited to see how Schemmel and Funimation handle Episode 110 spoilers: Goku's strange Ultra Instinct scream that has the beastly sounding background scream? Assuming that beast part of the scream is an altered Nozawa scream I hope they keep it exactly the same, as it would mean Schemmel and Nozawa are screaming at the same time for the first time in history. That would be so cool! And the beast scream sounds different enough from Nozawa that it wouldn't be out of place

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Forte224 wrote:Who else is excited to see how Schemmel and Funimation handle Episode 110 spoilers: Goku's strange Ultra Instinct scream that has the beastly sounding background scream? Assuming that beast part of the scream is an altered Nozawa scream I hope they keep it exactly the same, as it would mean Schemmel and Nozawa are screaming at the same time for the first time in history. That would be so cool! And the beast scream sounds different enough from Nozawa that it wouldn't be out of place
I can't remember if this was in the original or not, but Funi used a very similar sounding effect on Schemmel's voice, when he would power up as Super Saiyan God, in Super.
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XicywcgbUA&t=0m26s

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:51 pm

Kaio_Krazy wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Who else is excited to see how Schemmel and Funimation handle Episode 110 spoilers: Goku's strange Ultra Instinct scream that has the beastly sounding background scream? Assuming that beast part of the scream is an altered Nozawa scream I hope they keep it exactly the same, as it would mean Schemmel and Nozawa are screaming at the same time for the first time in history. That would be so cool! And the beast scream sounds different enough from Nozawa that it wouldn't be out of place
I can't remember if this was in the original or not, but Funi used a very similar sounding effect on Schemmel's voice, when he would power up as Super Saiyan God, in Super.
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XicywcgbUA&t=0m26s
Yeah that sounds very tuned to Schemmel's voice specifically and sounds pretty cool too. Well, hopefully they use the altered Nozawa scream. Would be the coolest thing to me since Schemmel saying he's "Son Goku" in Kai

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:20 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Well yeah that is what I meant this was Sabat's time to really shine and he did well, Schemmel has already had plenty (and killed them) and of course he has the big one coming up in #39..!! (Super duper pumped for that!!).
Then say so, don't say that an actor has been stealing screams, when it's the writers giving the character them in the first place. Say what you mean & mean what you say, man.
Forte224 wrote:The show's not over yet. We could have episodes where we go explore Magetta's home planet and the way Funimation has established him could make it awkward.

1. Do you really think Toriyama, or Toei's writers really care enough about Magetta to really go to his world for more than maybe a quick look. In any case, they could easily say that their language doesn't translate too well to Earth's, or Magetta is a fighter, not a conversationalist, so he doesn't have the right programming. Even if other members of his species speak normally, it doesn't mean he does, unless he needs to be on his planet to be translated right. There's no explanation on it, so FUNi will roll with anything if Toei decides to do.
2. Locate the specific text, then delete the rest, just make sure it says who you're quoting & the end quote.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:21 pm

Why would he not be?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:07 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Well yeah that is what I meant this was Sabat's time to really shine and he did well, Schemmel has already had plenty (and killed them) and of course he has the big one coming up in #39..!! (Super duper pumped for that!!).
Then say so, don't say that an actor has been stealing screams, when it's the writers giving the character them in the first place. Say what you mean & mean what you say, man.
Woah, bud I'm not sure what made you think Baggie_Saiyan was being serious with his first comment, but he was quite clearly kidding. There's really no reason to be mad, or kinda rude about this. If I had said "Jeez, it's about time Sabat got to scream a bit, Schemmel sure has been hogging them lately hahaha!" It doesn't mean I'm actually sitting in my room, contemplating how Sean Schemmel is purposefully rearranging the episodes or scripts, to maximize the amount of screams he gets to record. In said scenario, I'm just being facetious. You obviously misunderstood his original intent, but after the guy explained himself clearly, that's your opportunity to say "Oh, sorry about the misunderstanding man," not berate him for telling a harmless joke, that you didn't get.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:10 pm

Kaio_Krazy wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Woah, bud I'm not sure what made you think Baggie_Saiyan was being serious with his first comment, but he was quite clearly kidding. There's really no reason to be mad, or kinda rude about this. If I had said "Jeez, it's about time Sabat got to scream a bit, Schemmel sure has been hogging them lately hahaha!" It doesn't mean I'm actually sitting in my room, contemplating how Sean Schemmel is purposefully rearranging the episodes or scripts, to maximize the amount of screams he gets to record. In said scenario, I'm just being facetious. You obviously misunderstood his original intent, but after the guy explained himself clearly, that's your opportunity to say "Oh, sorry about the misunderstanding man," not berate him for telling a harmless joke, that you didn't get.
Ditto on this
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)