Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:48 pm

If Fuji TV wants to change the timeslot or day then it'd be smarted to pick a time and day without big competition, so running against Pokemon would be a bad idea.
As long as merch sales, DVR ratings and streaming views are fine then they might not even touch the timeslot.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:52 pm

Well, look on the bright side...Looks like Super tanked Kamen Rider's/Super Sentai's ratings as well.
Feels over Reals.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:52 pm

These ratings are lower than what Toriko's were back when it was on it's way out. They'll either move them to later on Sunday, or they'll change the day of the week that they air. Regardless, something will happen because in the span of three years, Fuji's Sunday AM slots have gone from getting 10s-5s, to 7s-4s. If TV specials won't work, then what will?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:01 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:These ratings are lower than what Toriko's were back when it was on it's way out. They'll either move them to later on Sunday, or they'll change the day of the week that they air. Regardless, something will happen because in the span of three years, Fuji's Sunday AM slots have gone from getting 10s-5s, to 7s-4s. If TV specials won't work, then what will?
Toriko wasn't canceled because of ratings, it was because it wasn't selling merch.

GhoulEto

Post by GhoulEto » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:02 pm

The competition moved at the same time, so OP and DBS lowered their rating, This is not all bad, I hope and change the schedule to see at least one little blood c:

PD: and DBS is far from being canceled, it generates twice as much profit as OP
PD2: By the way, Shippuden almost never entered the top
PD3: Sorry for the English
Last edited by GhoulEto on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:02 pm

The only way to save Super now is to move ahead to EOZ and focus on the younger generation like Trunks, Goten, Uub and Pan, etc.

Goku can still be around as a mentor, but it's time for the "next generation" to step up to the plate. Hopefully Gohan sticks around too.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:03 pm

I can definitely see Super's time slot getting changed. Doesn't Toei also make both Super Sentai and Kamen Rider?

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:05 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:These ratings are lower than what Toriko's were back when it was on it's way out. They'll either move them to later on Sunday, or they'll change the day of the week that they air. Regardless, something will happen because in the span of three years, Fuji's Sunday AM slots have gone from getting 10s-5s, to 7s-4s. If TV specials won't work, then what will?
Toriko wasn't canceled because of ratings, it was because it wasn't selling merch.
Ratings were also a factor and that too can correlate with the amount of people buying merch. Bad ratings=Bad merch sales
Last edited by VejituhTheWarriorGuy on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:05 pm

I can't understand why Toei would pit its own shows against each other. Both those sentai shows belong to Toei.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:07 pm

Chuquita wrote:I can't understand why Toei would pit its own shows against each other. Both those sentai shows belong to Toei.
Toei doesn't pick when their shows air, it's the TV station that does.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:09 pm

I just can't believe Curious George got higher ratings than Dragonball this week. lol

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:11 pm

We'll see what happens in the next few weeks but if these ratings are the new norm for both One Piece and Dragon Ball Super, then a timeslot change will likely happen

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:17 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I can't understand why Toei would pit its own shows against each other. Both those sentai shows belong to Toei.
Toei doesn't pick when their shows air, it's the TV station that does.
That's unfortunate for Toei then.

I'm mostly ok with when dbs airs, but if they had to change I'd rather it be later in the morning, but that's just convenient for me. There's others who'd want it earlier I bet.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:19 pm

It's been 2 years. How have you guys not learned how these ratings work by now. Every week you guys flip out about things that don't matter and automatically assume it was only the episodes content that affected the ratings. Yall are driving me crazy.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:22 pm

Honestly, I expected low ratings based off what the One Piece special got. None of this is concerning or surprising to me. Everything is fine.

That being said, Super is still getting cancelled. Oh well, looks like we had our fun while it lasted. I made a prophecy many weeks ago that this day would come, and it looks like it is finally here. I guess the Japanese fans saw the episode before it aired on TV and deemed it terrible and chose not to watch it to make sure Super gets cancelled. Of course, on top of seeing it early, them being in Japan gives them masterful prediction and future seeing abilities as well. They probably told all their friends and relatives to not watch the show too. Checkmate, Toei. You lost.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:39 pm

kinisking wrote:It's been 2 years. How have you guys not learned how these ratings work by now. Every week you guys flip out about things that don't matter and automatically assume it was only the episodes content that affected the ratings. Yall are driving me crazy.
Agree so can anyone reliable give me the rundown on this?

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:11 pm

What happens when 4 big properties clash with each other? None of them perform well. I can't see Fuji being happy with the results. Also, as someone had said early on, it is a loss/loss situation for Toei. This is just poor decision making on the producers' part. It is definitely not good.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:13 pm

pacz360 wrote:
kinisking wrote:It's been 2 years. How have you guys not learned how these ratings work by now. Every week you guys flip out about things that don't matter and automatically assume it was only the episodes content that affected the ratings. Yall are driving me crazy.
Agree so can anyone reliable give me the rundown on this?
Basically the numbers don't matter. What truly matters when it comes to the ratings is what position it's in on the rankings. Super got 6th place, which is basically the norm. Besides, it doesn't matter how "low" the ratings get because the DB brand is selling better than it has in many, many years and has shown no signs of slowing down.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:42 pm

Oh God.. not the numbers I was expecting and not the numbers that I wanted to see at all... and Pokemon was damn close too :lol:

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:13 am

RedHeat wrote:Well, look on the bright side...Looks like Super tanked Kamen Rider's/Super Sentai's ratings as well.
Seriously?

Then this was just bad planning.