"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:45 am

KayDash wrote:
Olympian wrote:I might be wrong but there`s one reference mssing so far. I could swear that in one or two frames when yamcha is using the Wolf Fang First, his eyes white out like they did when he was out to kill Goku before he looks at Bulma.
I think he also has a kamehameha, but as far as I know there isn't any pic or video about it.

I also wonder if this pose will make it into the game:
[spoiler]Image
:mrgreen:[/spoiler]
i hope it doesn't :lol:
My English is poor .

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:18 am

precita wrote:I just hope tons of characters aren't locked away behind DLC.

I get the feeling they'll save like 10 characters behind a paywall and we'll have to pay a $40 season pass for them as usual.
No. It is not ArcSys style. There may be few DLC characters, but not so much. If there will be so much new characters, you'll buy a new separate game. Just look on another ArcSys titles.

BlazBlue:
BBCT - 12 characters
BBCS - 15 characters + 3 DLC
BBCSEx - 19 characters
BBCP - 24 characters + 2 DLC
BBCPEx - 28 characters
BBCF - 33 characters + 3 DLC

Persona 4 Arena:
P4A - 13 characters
P4AU - 19 characters + 3 DLC

Guilty Gear Xrd:
Sign - 14 characters + 1 Unlockable + 2 DLC
Rev. - 20 characters + 3 DLC
Rev2 - 25 characters

Sign has Sin Kyske. You can unlock him in the game or buy as a DLC.
All 3 DLC characters for Revelator was free for limited period of time.
You can buy Revelator 2 as a separate game or as an upgrade DLC to Revelator.

I don't know what is worse: to buy a bunch of DLC characters or the almost same game again with new characters, new balance, new mechanics and new story mode.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:32 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
KayDash wrote:
Olympian wrote:I might be wrong but there`s one reference mssing so far. I could swear that in one or two frames when yamcha is using the Wolf Fang First, his eyes white out like they did when he was out to kill Goku before he looks at Bulma.
I think he also has a kamehameha, but as far as I know there isn't any pic or video about it.

[spoiler]Image
I`m fed up with that pose so I don`t want it in the game. If you want it there`s more than enough merchandize bloathing that up.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:38 am

I should add. I counted Shabrys and Labrys, Sho and Minazuki, Nu and Lambda since BBCP as separate characters.
Also, DLC characters was not ready on release of games.
And, actually, I don't feel BBCF as full game yet, because it still has no Unlimited characters.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

Ranmaru Rei wrote:
precita wrote:I just hope tons of characters aren't locked away behind DLC.

I get the feeling they'll save like 10 characters behind a paywall and we'll have to pay a $40 season pass for them as usual.
No. It is not ArcSys style. There may be few DLC characters, but not so much. If there will be so much new characters, you'll buy a new separate game. Just look on another ArcSys titles.

That's true, but those games were also not released by Bamco, and Bamco likely have different policies about their games. For example, I'm not fully aware how the release of ArcSys' games happened before, but have they ever did what they are doing now with the SSGSS characters? They will will be preorder exclusives for a while, then they will add them later as a DLC.
I don't know what is worse: to buy a bunch of DLC characters or the almost same game again with new characters, new balance, new mechanics and new story mode.
DLC is absolutely fine if it's actual new content, and not what Capcom (and some other AAA publishers) do by releasing content that was already finished at the moment when the game were released, and instead they just use it for grabbing more money in an unethical way.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:35 am

KayDash wrote:For example, I'm not fully aware how the release of ArcSys' games happened before, but have they ever did what they are doing now with the SSGSS characters? They will will be preorder exclusives for a while, then they will add them later as a DLC.
They are not preorder exclusives in the usual sense. They are in the game already but if you preorder then you gain early access to them.

https://www.bandainamcoent.com/games/dr ... ref=gmd-hd

So far there hasn't been any particularly bad business practices as far as I've seen.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:46 am

AgitoZ wrote:
KayDash wrote:For example, I'm not fully aware how the release of ArcSys' games happened before, but have they ever did what they are doing now with the SSGSS characters? They will will be preorder exclusives for a while, then they will add them later as a DLC.
They are not preorder exclusives in the usual sense. They are in the game already but if you preorder then you gain early access to them.

https://www.bandainamcoent.com/games/dr ... ref=gmd-hd

So far there hasn't been any particularly bad business practices as far as I've seen.
But how will you gain access to them later? Will they be free additions, or you will actually pay for them?

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:03 pm

KayDash wrote:But how will you gain access to them later? Will they be free additions, or you will actually pay for them?
There will be 3 possible ways:
1. Clear Story Mode
2. Unlock in Gallery spending ridiculous amount in-game currency
3. will be unlocked after time

For example, Susano'o in BBCF was locked in the game. You should clear the story mode of the game (it requires a lot of time, even if skip scenes of it), because the story mode is huge visual novel. After a week, they released patch, making him available from the beggining. Similar story was with:
Kagura Mitsuki in BBCP
Mu-12 in BBCS
Hakumen and Nu-13 in BBCT (as I remember)
Syn Kyske in GG Xrd costs 200,000 W$ in Gallery Mode. Or you can buy him for the real money, through buying an unlock DLC.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:40 pm

Olympian wrote:
Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
KayDash wrote: I think he also has a kamehameha, but as far as I know there isn't any pic or video about it.

[spoiler]Image
I`m fed up with that pose so I don`t want it in the game. If you want it there`s more than enough merchandize bloathing that up.
I think it would be a great ending if Yamcha is defeated by a level 3 super. I would give more incentive for a difficult big finish against Yamcha. Particularly in you're playing for ego.
Think about it. Yamcha is already the weakest character so if you get cocky and try to save up and do a big finish to see that ending this could give a good Yamcha player more time to counter and take an overconfident player out.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:10 pm

That pose should be in-game if they want to be consistent with the manga and anime references. Don't let people miss-represent the scene intention; a moment of sadness and anger.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Does it really need to thought? It`s a death pose among many in the Manga but it happens to be the one with the most baggage because of how they milked it over the years. I`m not pointing the finger at anyone in particular but I`m venturing most people would want it in not because it represented a moment of sadness and pain or because it increased the game in terms of mechanics but because it bacame a funny staple and it would be "cool" to have it.

That pose is no really different than Vegeta after Freeza kills him, if you want to use a similar context of someone being cocky.
Last edited by Olympian on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:43 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Olympian wrote:
Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
I think it would be a great ending if Yamcha is defeated by a level 3 super. I would give more incentive for a difficult big finish against Yamcha. Particularly in you're playing for ego.
Think about it. Yamcha is already the weakest character so if you get cocky and try to save up and do a big finish to see that ending this could give a good Yamcha player more time to counter and take an overconfident player out.
That seems sort of a design taunt. I don`t dislike the idea, I`d just be iffy on execution. But a taunt like that to play on player`s ego wouldn`t be bad in terms of mechanic.

My one issue is whether that would paint Yamcha as a sort of a "Dan" dare on his behalf. He`s the weakest so far but he`s only behind one point to Tenshinhan and Kuririn.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:57 pm

Olympian wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Olympian wrote:
That seems sort of a design taunt. I don`t dislike the idea, I`d just be iffy on execution. But a taunt like that to play on player`s ego wouldn`t be bad in terms of mechanic.

My one issue is whether that would paint Yamcha as a sort of a "Dan" dare on his behalf. He`s the weakest so far but he`s only behind one point to Tenshinhan and Kuririn.
The thing is he already is a Dan character when compared to the SSB characters. The idea would be in an online twitch heavy community beating Yamcha into that pose would be a badge, failure to competently do so would discredit you as a player. Further a player who forces you to "win" without being able to pull it off would look weak in fighting communities when you have character whose stats and likely moveset is considerably more limited. It would make competitive players second guess whether they should end that fight with a low kick sweep or a blocked projectile rather than their ultimate and feel less happy about their win for failing to do so. Think of it as a way of shaming players for failing to utterly defeat a weaker character due to their lack of skill and reliance on higher stat characters.

To make this analogy more in line with street fighter, you shouldn't take pride in defeating Dan while playing as Akuma unless you completely destroyed him and this would make that an actual game mechanic.

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:11 pm

I believe this pose will be in story mode of the game. But, actually, I do not care about it.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:28 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Olympian wrote:
TheMikado wrote:

The thing is he already is a Dan character when compared to the SSB characters. The idea would be in an online twitch heavy community beating Yamcha into that pose would be a badge, failure to competently do so would discredit you as a player. Further a player who forces you to "win" without being able to pull it off would look weak in fighting communities when you have character whose stats and likely moveset is considerably more limited. It would make competitive players second guess whether they should end that fight with a low kick sweep or a blocked projectile rather than their ultimate and feel less happy about their win for failing to do so. Think of it as a way of shaming players for failing to utterly defeat a weaker character due to their lack of skill and reliance on higher stat characters.

To make this analogy more in line with street fighter, you shouldn't take pride in defeating Dan while playing as Akuma unless you completely destroyed him and this would make that an actual game mechanic.
I don`t see eye to eye with a Dan-esque rationalization in-game. Dan was crated to especifically mock characters from the rival Fighters, so the mechanics of his moveset soaked that concept to reflect an inept character that would take an extremely good player to squeeze every little advantage he had. That`s not the case with Yamcha or any of the other human characters in the game whether they are weaker than the SSB or not. They aren`t weaker because they are inept master artists, they are weaker because they aren`t Saiyans. Besides that, they mostly "fixed" the power debate with the tag system already.

Unless you`d include that mechanic for all the weaker characters in the game I don`t think I`d be that hot about it. Don`t get me wrong it`s not a bad mechanic idea on principle but...yeah, just how I feel.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:30 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:49 pm

To be honest, after his introducing, Dan has only been the joke character only storywise. In Alpha 3 and Street Fighter 4 he's still low tier (though it's more because nobody really plays him enough in the competitive scene, as there are easier options to go for), but he still has enough tools at his disposal to make him work. He's not even the lowest, just down there. In Alpha 1 and 2 it's nearly impossible to win with him, but after that he's quite fun to run with. I mean, I'm only a decent player, but if I were to go with him, I never felt at a disadvantage against equally skilled opponents.

So even if Yamcha might be the butt of the jokes in the story (which I find very unlikely), it probably won't spill into his gameplay. Especially in a tag system, where assists, combo extentions and mix-ups play a huge role, all things Yamcha seems to be quite capable in.
The death pose, even if used as more of a meta-joke, won't really hurt his viabillity.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:08 pm

Actually, Ryu and Ken are pretty fair fighters. Dan, on other hand, IMHO, is not and has the room for tricks and baits.
Looking on Yamcha, I don't see any similarities with Dan. He does not look tricky. He's flashy and created for rushdown pressure. The spot of Dan in DBFZ waits for Mr. Satan.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 pm

On the Game Informer Podcast, Chris Sabat said that Jeannie Tirado will be voicing Android 21
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:38 am

Draconic wrote:To be honest, after his introducing, Dan has only been the joke character only storywise. In Alpha 3 and Street Fighter 4 he's still low tier (though it's more because nobody really plays him enough in the competitive scene, as there are easier options to go for), but he still has enough tools at his disposal to make him work. He's not even the lowest, just down there. In Alpha 1 and 2 it's nearly impossible to win with him, but after that he's quite fun to run with. I mean, I'm only a decent player, but if I were to go with him, I never felt at a disadvantage against equally skilled opponents.
So even if Yamcha might be the butt of the jokes in the story (which I find very unlikely), it probably won't spill into his gameplay. Especially in a tag system, where assists, combo extentions and mix-ups play a huge role, all things Yamcha seems to be quite capable in.
The death pose, even if used as more of a meta-joke, won't really hurt his viabillity.
Capcom has been giving him more tools as years go by because he got popular with the mechanics and charisma (I think he was even mid-boss in a KOF/SF crossover together with Joe) but as far as storyline goes, he still strugles to just make past the prem matches for the actual tournament.

Like Rei says, if there`s a Dan lock for the game and I`m not against it, it`s Mr Satan.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not