At this point Krillin has had more screentime talking in the stands than in the actual tournament

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

At this point Krillin has had more screentime talking in the stands than in the actual tournament

Post by precita » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:46 pm

This is kinda sad when you think about it. Krillin has now probably had more screentime talking in the stands than his screentime when he was fighting in the actual tournament. Krillin got taken out way too early. Even if he wasn't doing anything but in the background like Piccolo has been for most of it, he still should have lasted a lot longer.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: At this point Krillin has had more screentime talking in the stands than in the actual tournament

Post by Big Black Sayian » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:11 pm

Krillin got eliminated early so could be used for exposition...

TheZFighter
Regular

Re: At this point Krillin has had more screentime talking in the stands than in the actual tournament

Post by TheZFighter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:45 pm

Can't pretend I'm too bothered really. Somebody had to be the first U7 fighter to be eliminated, and it was always going to be one of the humans.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:52 pm

And some people still think that Krillin was eliminated because his voice actress is busy voicing Luffy.

That ain't it, since he's seen talking in the stands constantly and there are no problems.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:25 pm

I know, right? He's suffering Yamcha's fate!
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:51 pm

I'm so glad you brought this up! I figured it out. The reason Krillin, Tien and Master Roshi were chosen over Buu was because of the bystander factor!!

Think about it. While Buu is stronger than all 3 of them combine on the tournament floor, Buu is a major drawback when he is in the stands. Of course the point of the ToP is to survive and remain on the field. But Buu wouldn't have lasted there forever. Imagine Buu on the sidelines when Goku is drawing energy for the Spirit Bomb. Would Buu even know what's going on and contribute energy? Probably not. And then during the exposition that is given during the Goku vs Jiren fight, would Buu know what to say? No all Buu would is "Buu. Buu. Buu." Krillin explaining why Goku starts at base and gradually powers up to SSJB and Tien questioning to Whis why absorbing the energy of the Spirit Bomb was somehow able to close the gap between Jiren and Goku was essential to the entire special. That's because these are questions we'd definitely ask as fans.

So Krillin, Tien and Roshi are needed as bystanders to commentate and therefore that's why they were chosen over Buu. Should Buu have replaced at least one of them? Absolutely because you don't need all 3 of them to question. But you gotta go with the originals who are closer to Goku and don't say "Buu" every other sentence as bystanders
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:58 pm

It's kind of funny. Piccolo is still in the tournament right now, but he's only had 1 on-screen fight and has been in the background or just got his arms blown off every other time we saw him.

So even though Piccolo is still around, at the moment he's fared no better than Krillin. I realize that will change when he gets some focus, but I guess it proves how long you last makes no difference.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:20 am

Well hey at least the majority of his lines aren't "sasuga Muten Roshi sama" like Tien.

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:32 am

Ironically Krillin, Tien and Master Roshi have gotten far more screentime because they were eliminated - than when they were actually in the tournament! They've gotten more screentime than Android 17, Android 18, Gohan and Piccolo - all because they are on the stands! how ironic.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:11 pm

So, basically they are continuing what they started back in Z, to be cheerleaders and barely get any fights.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:19 pm

TheZFighter wrote:Can't pretend I'm too bothered really. Somebody had to be the first U7 fighter to be eliminated, and it was always going to be one of the humans.
Roshi. Who shouldn't have even been there.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:37 pm

Torturephile wrote:So, basically they are continuing what they started back in Z, to be cheerleaders and barely get any fights.
Tenshinhan and debatably Kuririn. Roshi was fine all around.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Yet has more eliminations than the likes of Hit, Dyspo, and Toppo combined.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:25 pm

Vice wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:Can't pretend I'm too bothered really. Somebody had to be the first U7 fighter to be eliminated, and it was always going to be one of the humans.
Roshi. Who shouldn't have even been there.
But he had the best performance among all of them. Whether you hate it or not.

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:26 am

Yeah i'm still really pissed about that. I mean, ignoring how they set it up to make it look like Krillin was gonna be important and my own hopes for him for now, even if Krillin had to be the first one out, why did it have to be so early?

Considering how long Tien lasted after Krillin's elimination and how Roshi was handled, I don't understand why they couldn't just space out Krillin's participation instead of trashing him like they did. It resulted in a, what felt like, a poorly thought out episode with an elimination that felt rushed and out of place. On several occasions I actually entertained the idea that Toshio went rogue and TOEI was too lazy to say "No you can't do that Toshio, rewrite it".

Then you have Master Roshi, as much as I loved his episodes, all of it kind of came out of nowhere. Roshi wanting to surpass his limits and get stronger was something that would have fit better with Krillin, for Master Roshi to suddenly have this desire without it being even hinted at makes Roshi feel like a back up Krillin to me. Krillin on the other hand had 2 episodes that I thought were forshadowing something like that. Krillin telling Goku he wants to be more like him and become strong as well as Krillin surprising Goku by pushing his Kamahamaha back slightly were things I thought were alluding to something like what Master Roshi got. None of that happened and Krillin gets eliminated first.

Krillin's knock-out feels so out place when compared to Roshi and even Tiens. Tiens atleast had some manner of build up, Krillin's was literally like "whoops, I guess Krillin's out now lol".

It makes no sense to me. If they planned this from the get-go, then they shouldn't have wasted time on even showing him. They wasted time showing us how he was getting back into fighting, wasted time showing a off a character that wasn't going to do anything. What was the point if he wasn't atleast gonna last a little bit?

I could go on and explain why it's bad writeing and more reasons why it doesn't make sense and why it pisses me off so much, but This post has gone on to long, so I'll try and wrap everything up here.

I really just want to know what was going through the minds of everybody involved and whether or not they had any form of communication or was it impossible due to writers living on different planets?

inb4 HeroR comes in and tells me everything has to go through the execs. That may be the case but it certainly doesn't seem like it does.

Damn, I did not mean for that to turn into a rant, I gotta stop getting triggered over this :lol:
Favorite Dragon Ball Characters
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

Dislikes: Playing by the rules

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:42 pm

Shaqazooloo wrote:Yeah i'm still really pissed about that. I mean, ignoring how they set it up to make it look like Krillin was gonna be important and my own hopes for him for now, even if Krillin had to be the first one out, why did it have to be so early?

Considering how long Tien lasted after Krillin's elimination and how Roshi was handled, I don't understand why they couldn't just space out Krillin's participation instead of trashing him like they did. It resulted in a, what felt like, a poorly thought out episode with an elimination that felt rushed and out of place. On several occasions I actually entertained the idea that Toshio went rogue and TOEI was too lazy to say "No you can't do that Toshio, rewrite it".

Then you have Master Roshi, as much as I loved his episodes, all of it kind of came out of nowhere. Roshi wanting to surpass his limits and get stronger was something that would have fit better with Krillin, for Master Roshi to suddenly have this desire without it being even hinted at makes Roshi feel like a back up Krillin to me. Krillin on the other hand had 2 episodes that I thought were forshadowing something like that. Krillin telling Goku he wants to be more like him and become strong as well as Krillin surprising Goku by pushing his Kamahamaha back slightly were things I thought were alluding to something like what Master Roshi got. None of that happened and Krillin gets eliminated first.

Krillin's knock-out feels so out place when compared to Roshi and even Tiens. Tiens atleast had some manner of build up, Krillin's was literally like "whoops, I guess Krillin's out now lol".

It makes no sense to me. If they planned this from the get-go, then they shouldn't have wasted time on even showing him. They wasted time showing us how he was getting back into fighting, wasted time showing a off a character that wasn't going to do anything. What was the point if he wasn't atleast gonna last a little bit?

I could go on and explain why it's bad writeing and more reasons why it doesn't make sense and why it pisses me off so much, but This post has gone on to long, so I'll try and wrap everything up here.

I really just want to know what was going through the minds of everybody involved and whether or not they had any form of communication or was it impossible due to writers living on different planets?

inb4 HeroR comes in and tells me everything has to go through the execs. That may be the case but it certainly doesn't seem like it does.

Damn, I did not mean for that to turn into a rant, I gotta stop getting triggered over this :lol:
I also felt Android 18 was badly written in Super. Can't she care just a little bit more about Krillin? Can't she care a little bit more about something else besides money? They made her so one dimensional in Super.