"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:57 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:I'd wait until translations are out before I decide if the manga's character problem is still prevalent
Translations are out. He's just like anime Toppo except he doesn't pose and scream Justice. He also doesn't call Son Goku a villain
Do they know their Universes are on the chopping block yet? Grand Priest was being hush-hush about it last chapter.
Nah, they didn't reveal that tidbit yet. That'll be sprung on them next chapter most likely, it's a change I do like. In the anime, they get told about it before the fighting, yet Goku immediately gets over it and treats everything as a game
In the manga, they're getting told about it after the fighting, so Goku doesn't look like such a sociopath, but it also skips the "Goku is evil" thing
Doctor. wrote:Yeah, the whole "Goku is evil" plot point isn't here. Which probably means it wasn't a Toriyama idea. Which probably means it's anime-only. Which probably means it's a plot point that'll get dropped because that's what the anime always does.

Sad, really. The arc just got even more boring in both versions.
The anime dropped it immediately after they brought it up, by continually reminding the viewers that it's not really Goku's fault. Which was lame, I really wished they stayed on that plot point, it was interesting, especially with Goku's flagrant teasing and disrespect to Beerus in the first episode of the arc

micah007
Not-So-Newbie

Post by micah007 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:23 am

Did anyone else laugh at Rumsshi's scream rendering two Supreme Kai unconscious and the "My God" expression on Champas face afterwards lol.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:25 am

OLKv3 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: Translations are out. He's just like anime Toppo except he doesn't pose and scream Justice. He also doesn't call Son Goku a villain
Do they know their Universes are on the chopping block yet? Grand Priest was being hush-hush about it last chapter.
Nah, they didn't reveal that tidbit yet. That'll be sprung on them next chapter most likely, it's a change I do like. In the anime, they get told about it before the fighting, yet Goku immediately gets over it and treats everything as a game
In the manga, they're getting told about it after the fighting, so Goku doesn't look like such a sociopath, but it also skips the "Goku is evil" thing
People throw around the word "sociopath" so loosely that I don't think they know what the terms really means half of the time.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:33 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote: Do they know their Universes are on the chopping block yet? Grand Priest was being hush-hush about it last chapter.
People throw around the word "sociopath" so loosely that I don't think they know what the terms really means half of the time.
But I used it correctly. He had no sympathy for the other universes, and actively taunted them saying he'll take down everyone they throw at him, after learning that they'll be erased, and after seeing the Grand Priest give the rule that if Bergamo won, the Erasure would be waived. It was like no conscience. as if he simply didn't get or care about how devastating erasure was to them

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:43 am

It has very slight chance but I think that manga hit will become way more powerful(probably toppo level ).
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:11 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: Nah, they didn't reveal that tidbit yet. That'll be sprung on them next chapter most likely, it's a change I do like. In the anime, they get told about it before the fighting, yet Goku immediately gets over it and treats everything as a game
But I used it correctly. He had no sympathy for the other universes, and actively taunted them saying he'll take down everyone they throw at him, after learning that they'll be erased, and after seeing the Grand Priest give the rule that if Bergamo won, the Erasure would be waived. It was like no conscience. as if he simply didn't get or care about how devastating erasure was to them
As soon as Goku was told about the circumstances of the universe erasing rule and came to full understand the gravity of it, he queried whether he could ask Zeno get rid of the universe erasing stipulation, but Whis shot down that idea under the pretense that defying Zeno and Grand Priest could annoy them and lead to them erasing him on the spot.

Goku wouldn't have made the suggestion he did and didn't try to think of way to fix the mess created, if he didn't take into account that several universes were going to be destroyed. Even after that proposition what shut down, he openly queried what he do to remedy the current situation and Beerus told him it's tool late to under the danger of the situation and take responsibility. And Goku came to the conclusion the best thing to do was the focus on winning the tournament and already displayed the resolve that regardless of who he would be up against, he would defeat.

And it's not as if Goku reacted stone faced, as a sociopath would have, when Grand Priest told him about the circumstances of the Tournament of Power. Goku was just as shocked and horrified, like everyone else was, when he found out the circumstances of the Tournament of Power from Grand Priest. He couldn't believe that such a stipulation had been added and didn't expect it to happen.

Him taunting the Hakaishin and Kaioshin of the other universes into bringing their best fighters so he could beat them was just him reaffirming his previous conviction of how he'll approach the Tournament Of Power and was the typical banter and goading that you would see in any martial artists or sportsman who is confident in his strength and eager for competition.

So... yeah. Not a sociopath at all.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:20 am

Gokuh’s not a sociopath... wtf

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:24 am

Hawk9211 wrote:It has very slight chance but I think that manga hit will become way more powerful(probably toppo level ).
Does it really matter how strong Hit will become? Or any other character for a matter of fact? It been stressed so many times that this tournament is not about power but experience. That’s why Kamesennin was chosen over Trunks or Goten. It’s also why I think Toriyama brought Migattenogokui into the arc.

Jiren has a higher battle power than Belmod. It’s known now. But even though Jiren is stronger, that doesn’t mean he can beat Belmod. Same thing with Migattenogokui. If Gokuh could master Migattenogokui, he would beat Jiren even though Jiren has a higher battle power.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:29 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:I'd wait until translations are out before I decide if the manga's character problem is still prevalent
Translations are out. He's just like anime Toppo except he doesn't pose and scream Justice. He also doesn't call Son Goku a villain
i don't see the new chapter on VIZ, PM me the trans please.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:49 am

jplaya2023 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
Me too,pretty please.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:36 am

jplaya2023 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
PM me too, please.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:45 am

emperior wrote:
jplaya2023 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: Translations are out. He's just like anime Toppo except he doesn't pose and scream Justice. He also doesn't call Son Goku a villain
PM me too, please.
While you are at it, shoot one here too please..
Meshack wrote:Gokuh’s not a sociopath... wtf
For a while calling him just that was a trend..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:25 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: People throw around the word "sociopath" so loosely that I don't think they know what the terms really means half of the time.
snip.
Did you miss me saying "look like a sociopath"? To the GoDs and all the fighters, he looked like a sociopath. You're mentioning things that we the audience saw. Not from the perspective of his opponents. What they saw was Bergamo telling them Goku was the reason for the ToP. Then Goku unapologetically confirmed it, then called them all out. Then he smiled when they called him the villain

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:10 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: But I used it correctly. He had no sympathy for the other universes, and actively taunted them saying he'll take down everyone they throw at him, after learning that they'll be erased, and after seeing the Grand Priest give the rule that if Bergamo won, the Erasure would be waived. It was like no conscience. as if he simply didn't get or care about how devastating erasure was to them
snip.
Did you miss me saying "look like a sociopath"? To the GoDs and all the fighters, he looked like a sociopath. You're mentioning things that we the audience saw. Not from the perspective of his opponents. What they saw was Bergamo telling them Goku was the reason for the ToP. Then Goku unapologetically confirmed it, then called them all out. Then he smiled when they called him the villain
Goku didn't look like sociopath to any of the other Hakaishin or Kaioshin. In fact, what the other Hakaishin or Kaioshin took offense with Goku the most is how casual and irreverent he acted towards Zeno because of how he was just not only a mortal, but he was also a mortal from a universe with a very low mortal level. A point which is reiterated when all the other Hakaishin and Kaioshin for the universe competing in the Tournament Of Power have a private meeting.

Funny enough, during that private meeting it was only really Sidra and Rumsshi who seemed to have an issue with how Goku acted at the Zen Exhibition Matches. Despite what Goku unintentionally instigated from their point of view, none of the other Hakaishin or Kaioshin really didn't seem to give a shit about Goku either way. Hell, Helles just found Goku beautiful.

And when Goku told the other Hakaishin or Kaioshin to gather their strongest fighter so he could beat them, the most we got out of reaction is gasps of shock and one person mentioning how rude the comment was.

To the other Hakaishin and Kaioshin, Goku at worst appeared to be a rude, meddling and insolent person by their standards. Not a sociopath.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:17 pm

Toyotaro said in a interview that some elements from the anime are being brought to the manga, and viceversa.
I will make a list of anime and manga only elements, I may be forgetting something so please point out any other difference!
Anime-only:
- Blue Kaioken
- Super Saiyan Rage
- Some Hit's abilities

Manga-only:
- Goku using Hakai
- Gamma Burst Flash
- Kaioshin apprentices gaining healing abilities

It seems like Super Saiyan God was something Toriyama didn't plan to bring back, but it has also been brought back in the anime (and a little out of nowhere I might say) so I think we could say Toyotaro had some influence. It's also worth noting that the anime also decided to go with the SSG to SSB switching tactic.
The most notable thing the anime has over the manga is Blue Kaioken. Could it appear in the manga? I think the probability is very, very high, or else Toyotaro would have never said some anime elements were being used by Toriyama.
I expect Goku to pop out Kaioken for the first in the manga during the ToP. Chapter 29 really puts Goku and U7 in a bad situation, and his reaction might be to risk his life by bringing back the super-risky Kaioken to compete with the likes of Toppo and Jiren. The outline might have said that Blue Kaioken x20 is not enough to beat Jiren.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Agreed, this is an optimal way to introduce the Kaioken in the manga, now that Goku has mastered Blue. Sucks for Vegeta, but it just makes sense that with Toppo being this strong, that Goku would work on something to outdo him and Jiren.
We'll probably find out in ½ years time...

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:30 pm

Put me down for Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken also making its mark in the manga, too. It's even now more mandatory given that SSJB Goku got his shit pushed by Toppo so quickly in the Zen Exhibition Matches, as Goku is going to have to think of way of increasing his strength in such a limited amount of time (40 hours) for when he'll face Jiren. It'll suck that this will pretty much put an eternal gap in strength between Goku and Vegeta, but something like this was bound to happen.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:31 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Put me down for Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken also making its mark in the manga, too. It's even now more mandatory given that SSJB Goku got his shit pushed by Toppo so quickly in the Zen Exhibition Matches, as Goku is going to have to think of way of increasing his strength in such a limited amount of time (40 hours) for when he'll face Jiren. It'll suck that this will pretty much put an eternal gap in strength between Goku and Vegeta, but something like this was bound to happen.
Why does this matters so much?
Doctor. wrote:Yeah, the whole "Goku is evil" plot point isn't here. Which probably means it wasn't a Toriyama idea. Which probably means it's anime-only. Which probably means it's a plot point that'll get dropped because that's what the anime always does.

Sad, really. The arc just got even more boring in both versions.
What anime only plot point got dropped?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

KuririnNoKotoKa

Post by KuririnNoKotoKa » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:35 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: But I used it correctly. He had no sympathy for the other universes, and actively taunted them saying he'll take down everyone they throw at him, after learning that they'll be erased, and after seeing the Grand Priest give the rule that if Bergamo won, the Erasure would be waived. It was like no conscience. as if he simply didn't get or care about how devastating erasure was to them
snip.
Why does it matter how he look to the other characters in-universe since we, the audience, know exactly what his intentions are?

Besides, it's not like Goku's manipulative side is some sort of completely new development that Super made up out of thin air, it's been a thing since the original run.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Nero<>Akira wrote:Though i thought the GOD fight itself since the last chapter was all in all great and better than the one in the anime, I can't shake the feeling they will still fight in the anime towards the end of the arc. Being better than the GOD fight in the anime was a given considering it was just 3 GODs anyway. Goku vs Toppo was great, but the anime version is superior honestly. Think it's fine that Toppo in the manga got a good hit in. In the anime, Toppo and Goku seem evenly matched while Goku is in SSB. I think people over exaggerate the "damage" given to toppo in the anime when he literally fixes up his clothes once he powers up and is completely fine afterwards. Grand Priest even implies they're still fairly equal even with Goku using Kaioken. By the way..
Is it confirmed that Volume 4 will include Chapter 26? If so, when?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.