"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by SansrivaaL » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:36 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
Yes it’s true and I already preordered it from
Amazon JP
So does it confirm Vegeta will fight Jiren, and Toppo will be jobbed?
The Vegeta version could just be Ryo Horikawa (his VA) singing the song and not an actual new song lyrics for Vegeta tho, actually that would be awesome, his VA rocks!
HeroR wrote: Also, for the record, when I said all girls I don't mean just the female Saiyans, I also mean the U2 magical girls.
Really? besides Ribrianne I havent read anything in here about people wanting those magical girls to get anything from Freeza, I actually like Kakunsa (sad to see her go so early, I liked her animal/hunter gig) and Rozie's fine.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:37 pm

A "Vegeta version" of the opening??
So Vegeta fighting Jiren and powering up to UI or something?! Or maybe Vegeta fighting whoever his main opponent, if it isn't Jiren??
Intriguing.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:38 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
Amazon JP

It doesn’t confirm anything story wise just that there is some Vegeta version of the opening. I have no idea what it means.

And I doubt it’s Ryo Horikawa singing the song. The Vegeta version is on the DVD not the CD.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:39 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
Amazon JP
No it doesn't. It is only just a song.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:40 pm

RedHeat wrote:
thegamer23 wrote:Kefla

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I'm pretty sure this was proven fake by Herms.
Aw, but I was in love!
HeroR wrote:
Kanassa wrote: I wouldn't call bitch and cunt misogynist words, they're just easy, go-to offensive words.
It's hard to describe how 'cunt' is worse than calling a female a bitch. All I can say is that males that used that word are looked down upon, see Abridge's take on Vegeta vs. 18 when he actually called 18 a cunt and everyone is left speechless when Vegeta said some very sexist stuff before that moment that didn't get any real notice.
Maybe it differs from location, I live in the neck end of the UK where 'Daft Cunt' is a casual term. Worst thing you could call someone around here is a Cock Goblin, Mong or a Nonce.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:41 pm

Kinokima wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:I do not know if it's true (and not even if this is the right discussion to post this), but I read somewhere that the release of the DBS opening 2 CD would be on October 25th.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

And that CD would have a DVD bonus, which is the second opening but in the '' Vegeta version ''.

This is true?
Amazon JP
If the release will be on October 25, then can we get leaks out of that '' Vegeta version '' opening today or tomorrow?

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:41 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
Amazon JP
No it doesn't. It is only just a song.

Well actually since it’s on the DVD I am assuming it’s not a new song but new animation. But we should find out soon.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:41 pm

Kinokima wrote: And I doubt it’s Ryo Horikawa singing the song. The Vegeta version is on the DVD not the CD.
You know how much Vegeta dancing way back in BoG caught a lot of fans off guard and some actually loved it (I did) that could be whats happening here, DVD we have Vegeta pulling a live concert!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:42 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote: Frieza will just do it when they seperate which is likely to happen. I just want Frieza to torture Caulifla and Kale as seeing Frieza's face enjoying it so much will be funny. I have no problem with the way Caulifla has been speaking to people or the way she has acted. Kale is the more annoying one between the 2.

I don't care who knocks out the Universe 2 girls as Frieza doing it won't make a big impact.
When have we seen Kale and Cali separated outside of 100 when Kale got beating up? After that, Cali made sure to stay by Kale's side.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:44 pm

Kanassa wrote:
RedHeat wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I'm pretty sure this was proven fake by Herms.
Aw, but I was in love!
HeroR wrote:
Kanassa wrote: I wouldn't call bitch and cunt misogynist words, they're just easy, go-to offensive words.
It's hard to describe how 'cunt' is worse than calling a female a bitch. All I can say is that males that used that word are looked down upon, see Abridge's take on Vegeta vs. 18 when he actually called 18 a cunt and everyone is left speechless when Vegeta said some very sexist stuff before that moment that didn't get any real notice.
Maybe it differs from location, I live in the neck end of the UK where 'Daft Cunt' is a casual term. Worst thing you could call someone around here is a Cock Goblin, Mong or a Nonce.

I had a feeling you might be from the UK. I heard it’s just a general curse word there but in the US it’s considered extremely offensive. Well that is why language is interesting.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:45 pm

Kanassa wrote: Maybe it differs from location, I live in the neck end of the UK where 'Daft Cunt' is a casual term. Worst thing you could call someone around here is a Cock Goblin, Mong or a Nonce.
Probably is location. In the US, calling a woman a cunt is one of the worst things you can call a woman. They even censor the word like it's the F-Bomb even if they allow bitch to go through.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:45 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Good thing thats fake. Just looks like Cauli with a stupid haircut.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:48 pm

HeroR wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote: Frieza will just do it when they seperate which is likely to happen. I just want Frieza to torture Caulifla and Kale as seeing Frieza's face enjoying it so much will be funny. I have no problem with the way Caulifla has been speaking to people or the way she has acted. Kale is the more annoying one between the 2.

I don't care who knocks out the Universe 2 girls as Frieza doing it won't make a big impact.
When have we seen Kale and Cali separated outside of 100 when Kale got beating up? After that, Cali made sure to stay by Kale's side.
I am talking about when Kafla defuses not when Caulifla and Kale separate and fight by themselves. I should have worded it better.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:56 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:
I just think it’s gets repetitive and worst dark in the end, you dislike a Character that is ok we all have those, but to get into you want horrible and dark things to happen to the.......really Why?!

Just gets over the Top.
There was 80 characters in this battle royale with most of them new so this stuff was always going to happen.
Yes very much likely, but what needs to be known is that the more these girls are attack the more endearing the become for us, it just make us more connected to them and bigger fans of them! ;)
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

hardcorefakes
Beyond Newbie

Post by hardcorefakes » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:52 pm

HeroR wrote:Even people who didn't like Cabba didn't necessarily want him to be fed to Freeza.
Excuse me? I absolutely wanted Cabba fed to Frieza. Was ecstatic when it happened, and I'd feel just as elated if it were Kale or Caulifla. I don't like any of them.

Doesn't change the fact that Kale/Caulifla irritate me more than Cabba does. The show doesn't shove Cabba in our faces like it does those two, if it did, I'd probably dislike him even more.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:57 pm

Boo Machine wrote: That sounds incredibly silly to me though. So people would rather have them already ahead with little to no information and come up with their own head cannon instead of having the concrete info we were presented with? I find that hard to believe since people freak out when the show doesn't give us concrete info and we have to use our head cannon. The explanation doesn't fall flat. It works just fine, it's fans who choose to disregard it because they didn't like the direction.

And even if Goten and trunks were presented as jokes, they were still treated like a big deal, and were once tasked to use those prodigy abilities to save the whole world. They were treated seriously. To the point that TO THIS DAY people are LIVID that those two barely do anything in Super.

Caulifla and kale are barely any different, They are given amazing potential and still presented as vastly inferior to Goku and Vegeta in every way. These girls have gotten their butts kicked and saved WAY more often than they've had a solid victory and people acting like they're these walking mary sues that run over everyone else and shitting on the precious legacy of the Super saiyan that was already getting ridiculous in the Cell saga and full blown crazy in the Buu saga is absurd.
Implying a rich and interesting past can add a level a depth to characters and make them more appealing. Make it seem less like they came into existence seconds before they were mentioned in a story to serve their purpose to the plot, and then that's it. Like, Here! Have two super saiyan girls. Enjoy!
It gives meaning to their actions, make you care about them more. For instance, Kale's borderline disturbing attachment to Cauli, her inferiority complex and extreme outburst of jealousy would've gone over far better with the fans had they been given a tiny bit of information about why she became like that. No long winded expositions, a well placed line of dialog, a single frame etc can go a long way to help give weight to a character or relationship.

I don't dislike these characters. I'm not particularly fond of them either, nor do I find them that appealing, but I definitely don't hate them or think other characters would've automatically gotten more screen time had they not existed.

And another aspect I think plays an important part but doesn't really get mentioned as much: the U6 saiyans look and act like kids. Even if they're supposed to be teenagers, or even older, they don't really come across as adults. And being constantly coached by Vegeta and Goku doesn't help. People tend to get annoyed very easily with kid characters. Trunks and Goten got a similar reception. Pan too. Gohan was the only exception, but that's because he was so quiet and unassuming as a child and he mostly let the other characters lead the way until he needed to get angry.
Last edited by Michsi on Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:13 pm

Fair enough with the kid character thing. I'm certainly not going to fault anyone for not liking a character for whatever reason. Though I can question it if the hate is overblown.
Michsi wrote: Implying a rich and interesting past can add a level a depth to characters and make them more appealing. Make it seem less like they came into existence seconds before they were mentioned in a story to serve their purpose to the plot, and then that's it. Like, Here! Have two super saiyan girls. Enjoy!
It gives meaning to their actions, make you care about them more. For instance, Kale's borderline disturbing attachment to Cauli, her inferiority complex and extreme outburst of jealousy would've gone over far better with the fans had they been given a tiny bit of information about why she became like that. No long winded expositions, a well placed line of dialog, a single frame etc can go a long way to help give weight to a character or relationship.
That's the thing though. It's not necessary for Kale to have a reason for her to be insecure. She could just be like that. Not everyone who is shy and introverted has a reason for it. They're just wired that way. Very few characters have back stories for why they are the way they are. We didn't care WHY Yamcha was a Bandit who is afraid of women. He just was and people loved him. Same deal with Tien or Krillin. Even using modern characters like Hit, who has next to no back story, is a fan favorite. So I find it hard to swallow that all of a sudden these particular characters NEED backstories.

So yeah. Here! Have two Super saiyan girls. Enjoy! They have about as much back story as almost any other character in the entire franchise. That's not an issue is it?

If you want to know more about a character then just watch them as they are now and see what they become due to the events that are happening right in front of us. And we have seen a bit from them and how they're like and how they conduct themselves around certain people. It's not the most in depth thing in the world, but it is a thing that's happening. They don't need back stories because their stories are happening right now.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:43 pm

Boo Machine wrote: That's the thing though. It's not necessary for Kale to have a reason for her to be insecure. She could just be like that. Not everyone who is shy and introverted has a reason for it. They're just wired that way. Very few characters have back stories for why they are the way they are. We didn't care WHY Yamcha was a Bandit who is afraid of women. He just was and people loved him. Same deal with Tien or Krillin. Even using modern characters like Hit, who has next to no back story, is a fan favorite. So I find it hard to swallow that all of a sudden these particular characters NEED backstories.

So yeah. Here! Have two Super saiyan girls. Enjoy! They have about as much back story as almost any other character in the entire franchise. That's not an issue is it?

If you want to know more about a character then just watch them as they are now and see what they become due to the events that are happening right in front of us. And we have seen a bit from them and how they're like and how they conduct themselves around certain people. It's not the most in depth thing in the world, but it is a thing that's happening. They don't need back stories because their stories are happening right now.

I'm not saying they needed it. Just that it helps. Almost always. Hit is a perfect example. Yes, we know almost nothing about his past, but the knowledge alone that he is a thousand year-old assassin is actually enough to make him an intriguing character. There's an implicit intricacy surrounding that piece of information that a punk prodigy gang leader her shy friend doesn't have.

Anyway, I was just giving an example of what could've helped. As I said, I feel like the whole "tingly back" and Kale's ultra bursts of jealousy are what rubbed people the wrong way. It was supposed to show how talented Cauli was that she could find a short-cut so fast and how attached Kale was to Cauli; felt more like the writers wanted to get it over and done with instead of writing a more complex reason for them becoming ssj.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:50 pm

I like how this arc is giving emphasis to the fact the better fighter isn't necessarily the strongest one. Quitela is physically stronger than Beerus, and Jiren is stronger than Beerus and Vermoud, yet I believe Beerus and Vermoud could win a 1v1 fight vs Jiren thanks to their techniques. In the manga Toppo specifically states Jiren is superior to Vermoud only in power level.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:02 pm

Michsi wrote: I'm not saying they needed it. Just that it helps. Almost always. Hit is a perfect example. Yes, we know almost nothing about his past, but the knowledge alone that he is a thousand year-old assassin is actually enough to make him an intriguing character. There's an implicit intricacy surrounding that piece of information that a punk prodigy gang leader her shy friend doesn't have.

Anyway, I was just giving an example of what could've helped. As I said, I feel like the whole "tingly back" and Kale's ultra bursts of jealousy are what rubbed people the wrong way. It was supposed to show how talented Cauli was that she could find a short-cut so fast and how attached Kale was to Cauli; felt more like the writers wanted to get it over and done with instead of writing a more complex reason for them becoming ssj.
Maybe so. If people are looking for complexity then that's one thing. But as you said, the way it ended up being written does show the Talent of Cauli and the attachment of Kale. It does it's job on introducing these characters and who they are in a way everyone understands. If people don't like that then, that's all well and good, but I suppose my main issue is with those who take that and pretend like it makes them the worst thing ever to ever happen, and that's the part I find ridiculous.

Especially Kale, because it feels like this fanbase has been so trained to hate Broly that anything resembling him triggers some meme-ish, caveman like impulse like with what happened to episode 100. Not one of the greatest episodes by any stretch of the imagination, but a perfectly fine episode that had a really good animated sequence of Goku vs kale, and showed off Jiren with it's only real blemish is having Kale tank the kamehamea for the sole purpose of a Broly homage. But the only thing I ever hear people say about 100 basically condenses down to "Me no like Broly. Kale look like broly, so episode bad."

Maybe I sounds a little bit ridiculous now and I'm just generalizing , but this has become more recent with recent episodes featuring Kale and I see a lot more of "uh oh, are we about to have a repeat of the horrible no good very bad episode that is 100?

Whateves though, at this point I'm just venting about a relatively small issue involving a character I only like ok that may have gone way beyond our initial discussion. So I'll stop rambling like a mad man.
Apologies for going off the rails.
Last edited by Boo Machine on Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.