Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:52 pm

Forget beating One Piece, if Dragon Ball beats Gundam that will be the real milestone! :thumbup:
RedHeat wrote: Unfortunately, a lot people hate-watch the show.
A lot of people are indeed tsundere about Super.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:57 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Forget beating One Piece, if Dragon Ball beats Gundam that will be the real milestone! :thumbup:
Dragon Ball is in Japan as Star Wars is in the US. Both are still popular after 3-4 decades.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:37 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Oh, I'm not opposed to it going on with Goku. It's still Goku's story. But some heavier involvement from the aforementioned characters would be nice, and fitting given the context EoZ was meaning to convey.

Having any one of them individually shoulder the burden of MC, no. Probably not. None of them have the needed development. But if it were me, the focus should at least begin shifting toward them, or being more inclusive of them, under Goku and Vegeta.
I actually think they are slowly replacing Goten and Trunks with the U6 Trio. First off U6 saiyans are saiyans with high potential who can go ssj with ease just like the boys. Goku and Vegeta are training everybody but their sons, especially the 3 U6 saiyans. And now [spoiler]with Kafla being announced as most likely a fusion of Caulifla and Kale, its like that its replacing Gotenks.[/spoiler] It might become more evident by the end of the U6 Sadala saga
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:03 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Forget beating One Piece, if Dragon Ball beats Gundam that will be the real milestone! :thumbup:
Dragon Ball is in Japan as Star Wars is in the US. Both are still popular after 3-4 decades.
And it didnt kill Star Wars getting rid of Vader and Luke Skywalker as Main Characters.

DB should do what Star Wars is currently doing, focusing in a new generation guy with the former Main Character becoming that characters Sensei.

If we ever get Planet Sadala Arc, then they should have Caulifla and Goku in the same roles as Rey and Luke Skywalker.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:10 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
And it didnt kill Star Wars getting rid of Vader and Luke Skywalker as Main Characters.

DB should do what Star Wars is currently doing, focusing in a new generation guy with the former Main Character becoming that characters Sensei.

If we ever get Planet Sadala Arc, then they should have Caulifla and Goku in the same roles as Rey and Luke Skywalker.
In the case of Star Wars it had no choice but to eventually replaced Vader and Luke Skywalker, since one Vader was the villain who usually dies in the story even if redeemed, and Star Wars uses live actors who will eventually die. So even if they wanted to, they could never used Luke forever. Goku can go on forever even after his original VA dies, as with the case with many fiction characters made in ink.

Most Dragon Ball fans don't give a shit about the 'new generation' or care about Goku being a teacher. The Star Wars and the Dragon Ball fandoms are not the same.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:14 pm

Apparently moving onto a new generation is the only way to continue a story for some!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:54 pm

Because that's what Toriyama already did. Of course Trunks and Goten are going to do something eventually in Super, they're likely just waiting for the EOZ timeskip.

Most likely Roshi, Tien, Krillin and maybe even the Androids will be "retired" after this arc. It paves the way for new main characters like Trunks and Goten.

Omori
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Omori » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:55 pm

For now it's the best to take out as much of the 10 year gap as possible.
If now one event follows the other without a big time gap it's still believable.
So best going straight to the next story.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:01 pm

precita wrote:Because that's what Toriyama already did. Of course Trunks and Goten are going to do something eventually in Super, they're likely just waiting for the EOZ timeskip.

Most likely Roshi, Tien, Krillin and maybe even the Androids will be "retired" after this arc. It paves the way for new main characters like Trunks and Goten.
Toriyama dabbled, didn't like where the story went, and abandoned it, just like he did with Gohan being a MC. If anything, Roshi said the opposite of 'retire' since his whole speech was 'it's too soon to tell me where my limits are'.

And these character were never main characters, except Krillin in the Saiyan and Namek Saga. They were secondary-characters.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:16 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:Oh, I'm not opposed to it going on with Goku. It's still Goku's story. But some heavier involvement from the aforementioned characters would be nice, and fitting given the context EoZ was meaning to convey.

Having any one of them individually shoulder the burden of MC, no. Probably not. None of them have the needed development. But if it were me, the focus should at least begin shifting toward them, or being more inclusive of them, under Goku and Vegeta.
I actually think they are slowly replacing Goten and Trunks with the U6 Trio. First off U6 saiyans are saiyans with high potential who can go ssj with ease just like the boys. Goku and Vegeta are training everybody but their sons, especially the 3 U6 saiyans. And now [spoiler]with Kafla being announced as most likely a fusion of Caulifla and Kale, its like that its replacing Gotenks.[/spoiler] It might become more evident by the end of the U6 Sadala saga
They better fucking not. I hint a lot that I'm prepared to drop DragonBall as a whole, but I'm never really able to push through because of the history I have with it. But I would if the story actively moved to fully replace sons of Goku and Vegeta with newbies from another universe.

Mind you, that's just how I feel.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:18 pm

I don’t think Goten or Trunks will ever be replaced (nor do I want that in any shape or form) I just don’t see them taking over for their fathers as main characters.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:20 pm

I don't either. I just think they should be included more.

C'mon, Toei. They're saiyans. Find a way to profit off them.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:30 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:I don't either. I just think they should be included more.

C'mon, Toei. They're saiyans. Find a way to profit off them.
Toriyama decide if he wants to used Goten and Trunks in his story. The best Toei can do is give them a side-story between arcs.

Plus, the fact of the matter is that the U6 are the new and shiny, while Goten and Trunks at this time have nothing going for them. Gohan had the most 'most potential' going for him, while Goten and Trunks have fusion that is treated as more of a cute gimmick that Vegeta thinks they rely too much on.
Kanassa wrote:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:21 am

precita wrote:Because that's what Toriyama already did.
And when he did it he switched back to Goku cause to him, Gohan couldn't replace him. If someone as established and developed as Gohan couldn't, why will these nobodies be able to ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:03 am

sintzu wrote:
precita wrote:Because that's what Toriyama already did.
And when he did it he switched back to Goku cause to him, Gohan couldn't replace him. If someone as established and developed as Gohan couldn't, why will these nobodies be able to ?
I think people also need to take into consideration that Gohan was a vastly different character when he was made protagonist and some people might have been put off by his new-found geeky-ness and eccentric behavior as teenager. The western fans absolutely hated the Saiyaman bit, and while I don't think Japanese fans disliked it as much, it's possible it was also not that well received over there. I can't remember where exactly I read this, but apparently Gohan beat Goku in popularity in one or two polls during the original run, but only while he was a kid.
My point is that just because it failed once doesn't mean it will absolutely fail again. It all comes down to execution.

Having said that, I don't want Goku to be replaced. It was one thing to try it while the story was still being published, quite another now where his status of the ultimate shonen protagonist is so well cemented it's practically synonymous with the term.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:57 am

I predict Trunks, Goten and Uub will be involved in the next tournament with the last 4 universes. If they do a 10 man team again Freeza will most likely be gone or dead again, and I don't see Tien, Roshi or Krillin in the next one. I'm not sure if the Androids will be back either, who knows.

It's funny that Goku training Uub at the end of DBZ now makes sense if he wants another strong fighter for the next tournament with the 4 strongest universes. If Uub already has Kid Buu's strength he'd be a monster after 4 months of training ala Freeza...lol.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:00 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
It might become more evident by the end of the U6 Sadala saga
What? Sadala saga has been announced?!

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:22 am

sangofe wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Sorry i guess i kinda lead you on. I said thus because I'm 90 percent sure that the Sadala arc will be right after the tournament either as a mini arc or as a regular arc.

We’ll have to wait til Jump Festa from December 15 to December 17
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:25 am

precita wrote:I predict Trunks, Goten and Uub will be involved in the next tournament with the last 4 universes. If they do a 10 man team again Freeza will most likely be gone or dead again, and I don't see Tien, Roshi or Krillin in the next one. I'm not sure if the Androids will be back either, who knows.

It's funny that Goku training Uub at the end of DBZ now makes sense if he wants another strong fighter for the next tournament with the 4 strongest universes. If Uub already has Kid Buu's strength he'd be a monster after 4 months of training ala Freeza...lol.
First off, there have been no hints to another tournament with the other 4 universe and frankly, i think they should stray away from Tournaments and start focusing on adventure arcs, mystery arcs kinda like the Black and Trunks arc, and arcs with an actually evil antagonist

Also, they aren’t the 4 strongest universes. Mortal level is like the quality of a mortal. Their strength (i guess), smarts, good or bad personality, and level of sophistication.

There is no proof that they are the strongest universes.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:16 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Sorry i guess i kinda lead you on. I said thus because I'm 90 percent sure that the Sadala arc will be right after the tournament either as a mini arc or as a regular arc.

We’ll have to wait til Jump Festa from December 15 to December 17
I hope there will be but we never know.