Super Episode 113 (29 October 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Super Episode 113 (29 October 2017)

Post by Herms » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:40 pm

NOTE:
Subtitles: friend of all children Crunchyroll / Daisuki / FUNimation
The Kanzenshuu forum rules: nightmare to you

-------------------------------

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Super Episode 113, aired 29 October 2017

嬉々として!戦闘狂サイヤ人バトル再び!!
Kiki-toshite! Sentō-kyō Saiya-jin Batoru Futatabi!!
Joyfully! Battle-Crazy Saiyans Fight Again!!

Summary:
Having saved Goku from U3’s robot-like fighters, Caulifla challenges him to battle while Kale watches from the sidelines. Upset over her inability to stop Hit and Cabba from being eliminated, Caulifla wants to become stronger in order to fight in their stead, and asks Goku to teach her how to become Super Saiyan 3. Goku agrees, but says she’ll have to defeat him first.

While Caulifla is in her Super Saiyan 2 form, Goku remains in his base state, saying that he is currently out of stamina after fighting Jiren. Champa thinks this is the perfect chance to eliminate Goku, but Beerus objects that Goku is probably the only one who can defeat Jiren. Champa doesn’t care though, since he’s still intent on U6 winning by virtue of having the most fighters remaining at the end. With that in mind, it’s better to focus on eliminating U7 warriors.

Goku and Caulifla begin to fight, and while Goku is pushed back at first, before long he gains the upper hand as Caulifla’s attacks fail to hit him. Champa wonders how this can be, since Super Saiyans are supposed to be more powerful than regular Saiyans, but Whis explains that it is due to the difference between martial arts and mere brawling: Goku is reading his opponent’s movements and seizing the right opportunities to attack.

Champa now encourages Caulifla to run away, but she refuses and continues to attack. She begins to fight more on-par with Goku as she becomes accustomed to his fighting style, but Goku trips her up again by using his afterimage technique. Caulifla is angry at him for resorting to tricks instead of fighting her head-on, but Goku says that she won’t be able to become Super Saiyan 3 if she can’t even handle a technique like this.

While Goku starts teleporting around, Caulifla still continues to adapt to his fighting style, giving him a harder and harder fight. On the sidelines, this amazes Kuririn, and Whis says that Caulifla must have had this potential inside her all along; her battle with Goku is simply drawing out her power. Champa now cheers Caulifla on, despite earlier telling her to flee (he regards this as simply adapting to the situation).

Caulifla advises Goku to transform; otherwise he’ll lose before he can use his full power. Goku agrees, but only becomes Super Saiyan 2; he still doesn’t have the stamina for Super Saiyan 3. The two recommence fighting, and Caulifla’s Crush Cannon catches Goku by surprise; he’s not the only one with tricks up his sleeve! As the two’s fight enters its second round, the Omni-Kings are impressed at how they continue to speed up. Goku is likewise impressed at the degree to which Caulifla has already mastered Super Saiyan 2, and she’s eager to beat him and reach 3.

The two power up even more, and nearby warriors are knocked over by their fight. Watching nearby, Kale can see that Caulifla is enjoying herself. At length Caulifla gains the upper hand and knocks Goku around. Amazed at how strong she’s become, Goku thinks that she might reach Super Saiyan 3 or even further beyond that. Goku calls Kale over to join the fight, much to Beerus’ consternation. Kale is extremely happy at the prospect of fighting alongside Caulifla, and powers up into her beefy, “controlled” Super Saiyan form.

With Kale’s assistance, Caulifla nails Goku with another one of her Crush Cannon blasts, which even Goku admits hurts a little. Still, when the two go at him next, Goku manages to parry all of their blows. Champa is outraged as Goku continues to fend off his two Super Saiyan opponents single-handed, and Muten Roshi wonders if Goku is using Ultra Instinct again. Whis refutes this though, saying that Ultra Instinct is difficult even for Gods of Destruction to master, so there’s no way Goku could manage it that easily. Rather, it is simply that Goku’s senses are being sharpened by Caulifla and Kale’s attacks.

In the end, Caulifla and Kale’s attacks start to connect, and Goku struggles against their blasts before finally transforming into Super Saiyan 3 at last. His fight against the two of them has caused the power inside him to bubble up even further. However, he then immediately reverts to normal, saying that he still hasn’t recovered enough stamina to maintain Super Saiyan 3. Regardless, Caulifla and Kale are suitably impressed after seeing the form’s power, and are even more committed to beating Goku and obtaining that form for themselves. Getting perhaps a little too carried away, Kale powers up even further and reaches her even beefier “berserk” state once more, and Goku prepares to square off against her.

22 minutes remain in the Tournament of Power.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 113 (29 October 2017)

Post by SirTorra » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:34 pm

Power levels are a thing of the past, how sad. A tired base goku can go toe to toe with ss2 cauli (should have been like that since the start) yet a ss2 goku is being pushed around by ss2 cauli even though hes 100x stronger than his base form? Let me guess gokus holding back right? Also i really dig Kales adult form.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:40 pm

SirTorra wrote:Power levels are a thing of the past, how sad. A tired base goku can go toe to toe with ss2 cauli (should have been like that since the start) yet a ss2 goku is being pushed around by ss2 cauli even though hes 100x stronger than his base form? Let me guess gokus holding back right? Also i really dig Kales adult form.
Its a bit ridiculous but cauliflas power was said to be rising as their fight and she was adapting to how Goku fights. I never felt goku wasnt in control of the fight though so i didnt mind too much.

Was an ok episode some cool moments in the fight but a lot of generic stuff too. And why was the whole episode just the saiyans... At least have some vegeta or frieza or something to mix it up a bit.

And for all the talk of ssj3 we saw it for 30 seconds :(

Next episode looks like more of the same unfortunately but this fusion business is definitely intriguing

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:42 pm

SirTorra wrote:Power levels are a thing of the past, how sad. A tired base goku can go toe to toe with ss2 cauli (should have been like that since the start) yet a ss2 goku is being pushed around by ss2 cauli even though hes 100x stronger than his base form? Let me guess gokus holding back right? Also i really dig Kales adult form.
This has happened before. Roshi defeated Ganos despite being weaker. Also, Caulifla's power was increasing during the fight.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:45 pm

I enjoyed the episode. All in all, it was enjoyable to watch Goku show off how skilled he is as a fighter once again. It was pretty funny to see Base Goku clown SSJ Caulifla on skill alone. Caulifla and Kale were cool this episode as well, especially their tag team against Goku.

All in all, what I got from this episode is what this tournament is trying to teach me from the start: Goku is a monster.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:46 pm

That was a good 'un, though it was clear they were trying to pad out the footage. They started out replaying the end of the previous ep, reused footage from 100 and had quite a few cutaways to the gods in the bleachers. Also, the version I watched (AnimeLab) had a preview before the opening titles, which I don't think I've seen before. Anyone else have that?

I feel like if you don't like Caulifla and Kale, you won't like this episode since it was entirely focused on their fight with Goku with no other fights aside from a random bout between some U2 and 3 cannon fodder. Appropriately it was the Tuffle, the one with the Gero moustache, getting blown away by a fight between two Saiyans. Nonetheless, it did a lot of good stuff with them, expanding on the Goku/Caulifla relationship, which continues to be more engaging than Vegeta/Cabba. The fight itself was great; similar in a lot of ways to Roshi v Ganos with the young upstart taking on the old master. The master uses martial arts skill to stay ahead of the more powerful but less disciplined youngster, who eventually closes the gap thanks to a combination of youthful vigour and "potential" shenanigans. Only this time Goku is getting stronger too and manages to stay ahead even when Kale steps in.

An okay episode, but mainly laying groundwork for the next one, which is where things will really kick off. It answers a few questions we had going in: Goku can show them Super Saiyan 3 but not fight in it, Caulifla wants to obtain it but can't yet, and Kale is still totally totally gay for her. Most importantly, we know what Champa's plan is, we know how they'll achieve fusion, and we know that Goku absolutely would have taught them the dance even though that isn't what ends up happening.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:47 pm

Goku was never in trouble and it was obvious he was always in control.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:47 pm

This isn't the least bit sad to me.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:47 pm

I will say what I said on another thread;

For the Most part I enjoyed this Episode, really loved how the Girls where treated and the animation for the fights where well done, Great Job by the Artists! :thumbup:

Both Girls came across well, growing to like them with each new showing, espically Kale!

Kale has really has grown on me, I am becoming more of a Kale Fan with each showing she has, really good episode for her. :thumbup:

Also, Glad to see U2's-Zarbuto make an appearance, just an apperance but still glad to see him. Hoping he gets sometime to shine later on in the Arc! 8)
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:56 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Also, the version I watched (AnimeLab) had a preview before the opening titles, which I don't think I've seen before. Anyone else have that?
They started doing that since ep 109 I think. It's not on CR though.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:58 pm

Nothing really happened in this episode and was just used to help Goku recover. The fusion also looks like it will be doing the same.

Goku is way too good of a fighter for Caulifla and Kale and he is still nowhere near where he would like to be.

The best thing was Whis saying that power is not everything and that having skill and strategy is important.

There was no time given at all to any other fights which was just like the Hit vs Dyspo episode.

The next episode seems like it be 100% focused again on this fight with the fusion happening. Goku will probably get stronger again.

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:58 pm

Interested in seeing the criticisms in this episode. Despite not being flashy, it was perfect for what it was and actually stayed true to the themes of the Tournament: Caulifla's Power is superseded by Goku's Skill which is then surpassed by Kale/Caulifla's Teamwork. Nice we got an episode finally staying true to that. Caulifla never made any crazy gains and it was clear Goku outshines her so she doesn't become a Mary Sue. Kale's developed and demonstrated no traits of really being whiny, which is great. Plenty of neat choreography for what is a build-up episode too, so episode quality has continued to remain consistent. All in all, I truly enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to what the grimaces other people have with the episode so I can finally get a sense of what exactly is so polarizing with Caulifla.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

It was a nice episode, very fun.

[spoiler]https://youtu.be/_QAFPstBxYQ In the preview they said that Kale becomes a true legendary super saiyan... what does that even mean?[/spoiler]
Last edited by BrolyKale on Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:00 pm

So Kale was fighting as a regular Super Saiyan in this episode? In her Beserk form she was able to walk through a blast from Super Saiyan Blue Goku.

So you're saying this stage should put her on Blue level, but it's likely not going to be like that.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:01 pm

I think we are getting a fusion next episode.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:01 pm

This episode put a shotgun up to my expectations to the head (by that I mean, things went better than I expected them to be). As I said before, not much to say other than that they fought like spoilers and episode titles implied but I enjoyed it. It was entertaining beginning to end.

Honestly, what could have gone wrong didn't and I give them points for that. But now I'm afraid 114 is going to pull a 100 but I will wait and see. Its not every couple of weeks that Super pulls off a string of good episodes like this.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:02 pm

Light on plot, but serviceable on action. It's nice to see Gokû get to interact with those who understand his battle drive. Nice after image nod. Curious as to if the potara were smuggled in or if Champa tosses them from the audience into the ring.

I'm still neutral light positive on Caulifla and Kale. I think I'd like them more if I were a newer fan instead of a semi-tired veteran who's mostly following this arc because Gokû's still in it and I still really like Gokû. Caulifla would've been one of the favorites of a fresher me.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:03 pm

Subs really do make a difference!

At first, I thought this was just a 'middle of the road' tier but solid episode, but finding out what they're actually saying it turned out pretty amazing.

Caulifla mentioning that she has to pick up the slack for her team due to hit being out is a pretty nice development, as well as Goku being a mentor figure.
Feels over Reals.

Shlugo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shlugo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:08 pm

The fight was intense. I loved how the whole arena was getting messed up by the shockwaves, with fodders getting blown away.

Goku and Caulifa interactions are always enjoyable, and even Kale was good this episode.

Definitely the best one since the special.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:11 pm

-Like expected, this was one of those brainless, action-heavy episodes with barely any plot. They keep reusing the same three frames of Caulifla's other fight with Goku. At least the action got better once Kale jumped in.
-At this point, Kale has begun to grow on me all thanks to her controlled SSJ state and increase in confidence. Months ago, I wouldn't have imagined that.
-I think we got the best drawn Caulifla in a while.
-Champa has gone back to his jackass self that was seen earlier in the tournament. Vados is still lovely.
-I'm beginning to dislike that every character now can adapt while battling.
-Goku knocking away a rock while Kale transformed made me laugh.
-No one from U7's team that is still in the tournament appeared at all.

So it seems that we finally got the girl that appeared on the intro. I like her design, but I hope her personality makes up for all the annoyances provoked by her fusees.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.