One great thing about this arc that we can all agree on

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

One great thing about this arc that we can all agree on

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:33 pm

I know this Universe Survival Arc (i seen people rarely call it that anymore), has been getting a lot of negativity lately, after the special, which really does suck (Not the special, the special was great if not super). And even some parts before the special has been criticized. But there is one thing about this arc that i know is hard to dislike. And that is the opening, Limit-Break x Survivor. I think we can all agree that this opening is great. It never fails to get us hyped for each episode (even though some of them may not live up to that hype), it has some fantastic animation, and the song is really fun to listen to. And it sure as heck never gonna get old. It is in my opinion the definition of Super. You guys' thoughts?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Re: One great thing about this arc that we can all agree on

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:03 pm

I love the opening. I've also been enjoying most of the tournament too, despite its flaws. Only episodes of the ToP I didn't really care about or dislike are 97 and 101, and 106. I like 98, 99, 100, 102, and 103. I love 104, 105, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, and 113. Felt these nine episodes were great to amazing.

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:16 pm

I like the song, but the opening itself was okay at best. It did have great animations, no wonder they reused most of them in the tournament, but I think the Jiren and Goku fight just got too much screentime. They should have put Bulma, Yamcha, Videl and the others in the opening too. The first opening had most of the main cast in it, while this one doesn't. I also don't understand why they still didn't finish Ganos and Majora, who clearly look different in the opening than they do in the anime. These are just nitpicks though. I like the first opening better, but this one has a better song.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:18 pm

*In Mr. PoPo's voice*

Honestly having gone back and watching it in a stream vs once a week, it really did improve how I thought of this entire arc because the things you felt, "Really? Waited a week for that?" are now easy to watch and be done with. Not sure where you are reading reactions at because I thought the general consensus from my understanding is that Super has been on a streak with the Tenshinhan episode being the unfortunate episode that is between two good episodes.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:21 pm

MaskedRider wrote:*In Mr. PoPo's voice*

Honestly having gone back and watching it in a stream vs once a week, it really did improve how I thought of this entire arc because the things you felt, "Really? Waited a week for that?" are now easy to watch and be done with. Not sure where you are reading reactions at because I thought the general consensus from my understanding is that Super has been on a streak with the Tenshinhan episode being the unfortunate episode that is between two good episodes.
What do you think about the opening.
Caulifla best girl! :)

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:23 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
MaskedRider wrote:*In Mr. PoPo's voice*

What do you think about the opening.
*In Kami's voice*

The opening is good, it manages to hype me up to this day much like chouzetsu dynamic. I also like how good it goes with the current ending.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:02 pm

I can definitely agree that the opening is good. One of the lines is even "I'm used to bein' confused!" It's almost as if Toei is self-aware of its own writing.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:46 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:I know this Universe Survival Arc (i seen people rarely call it that anymore), has been getting a lot of negativity lately, after the special, which really does suck (Not the special, the special was great if not super). And even some parts before the special has been criticized. But there is one thing about this arc that i know is hard to dislike. And that is the opening, Limit-Break x Survivor. I think we can all agree that this opening is great. It never fails to get us hyped for each episode (even though some of them may not live up to that hype), it has some fantastic animation, and the song is really fun to listen to. And it sure as heck never gonna get old. It is in my opinion the definition of Super. You guys' thoughts?
More than that, I love all the music from the special. I need a special CD of all those epic and unique tracks
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:25 am

Limit-Break x Survivor is my favourite opening theme in Dragon Ball history. It's gorgeously animated, has great lyrics and is just full of so much energy. It's pure Dragon Ball.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:33 am

Am I going to get flayed alive if I say both the song and the opening are just...okayish? It's upbeat, it's fun, but it's not something I feel like watching separately. I actually skip it most of the time :?

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:02 pm

Anyone who didn't like 109-110 should really stop watching.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:30 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Limit-Break x Survivor is my favourite opening theme in Dragon Ball history. It's gorgeously animated, has great lyrics and is just full of so much energy. It's pure Dragon Ball.
It's not my favorite opening, although it might be in some years due to nostalgia, but I agree with you - it's very Dragon Ball and gets me pumped up every episode due to how energetic it is. Plus the lyrics actually being in-line with what happens in the arc is great.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical