Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:00 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:How I wish Ocean had dubbed it instead of Blue Water.
They almost did. Ocean had begun casting for it, and one of the voice actors (I want to say it was one of the Dobson brothers, but I could be wrong) said online that he had been cast in some roles. It's not clear how or why, but apparently there was a last-minute decision to have Blue Water dub it instead.
Yeah, I already knew about that.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:12 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:How I wish Ocean had dubbed it instead of Blue Water.
I do too, and if money was the reason (as has been speculated) it makes a home release of the Westwood dub feel like even more like a missed opportunity. It probably would have done well even if it was just released in the UK, Ireland and Netherlands when the dub was airing on TV and brought in some revenue to fund an Ocean dub of GT.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:11 pm

Oh well. It's all academic now.

The point is, we have the chance to prevent this from happening again. As it stands, in this revived era of Dragon Ball, we only have Funimation's Kai & Super, and Bang Zoom's Super. Bang Zoom seem to be more accurate, but the acting isn't as good, somewhat similar to Blue Water GT, except this time Funimation's dub isn't outright bad, it's actually pretty decent.
But, we have the possibility of getting better accuracy with great acting if Ocean continue on past Kai. In a fashion befitting to this whole revived era of Dragon Ball, this is a chance for Ocean to right previous wrongs with a second stab at it. But before that can even become a real option, Ocean Kai has to get on air.

Has there been any new developments on the Ocean Kai front? Any responses from Lee Tockar or Brian Drummond? Any new tweets I've missed from people involved?
I'm actually starting to wonder whether it's worth Tweeting Shulman to ask if all is going well in terms of Ocean Kai.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:36 am

Robo4900 wrote: Has there been any new developments on the Ocean Kai front? Any responses from Lee Tockar or Brian Drummond? Any new tweets I've missed from people involved?
I'm actually starting to wonder whether it's worth Tweeting Shulman to ask if all is going well in terms of Ocean Kai.
Drummond and Tockar seem to have gone silent on the subject of Kai which is strange, especially given Tockar's prior enthusiasm. It's possible that they were both told to remain quiet about it.

As for Marni, I think it's best not to pester her any further. At this stage she has all the contacts and we already know she's interested in this specific dub so it's probably best to be patient and see if she has any good news in the comings days/weeks or possibly even months. For all we know she might not even be the one to make an official announcement, depending on how things are run at their company they might reserve that for someone else (maybe Bell Media?) or just wait until the channel launches. This is all assuming Ocean have cooperated with her and there are no legal issues withholding the dub.

On an unrelated note, I asked Matthew Erickson if he reprised Trunks. Judging by this response I think it's safe to say he didn't.
Matthew Erickson wrote:"As far as I know it won't be me. I'd love to do it but I think they've already cast it.
Thanks for the vote though."
So it's either a new guy or Alistair Abell. If they couldn't manage to get Abell I'm personally hoping for Andrew Francis. It wouldn't be the first time he got to play a time traveller...

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:32 am

If Abell sounds like how he sounded in the end of Z, I'll be fine with him.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:47 am

NitroEX wrote:On an unrelated note, I asked Matthew Erickson if he reprised Trunks. Judging by this response I think it's safe to say he didn't.
Matthew Erickson wrote:"As far as I know it won't be me. I'd love to do it but I think they've already cast it.
Thanks for the vote though."
So it's either a new guy or Alistair Abell. If they couldn't manage to get Abell I'm personally hoping for Andrew Francis. It wouldn't be the first time he got to play a time traveller...
That's a shame. I actually really like his Trunks in the GT dub (based on what I heard in the first few episodes, that is). He wasn't afraid to get goofy and show some personality. I'm sure they picked someone good, though.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:00 am

Andrew Francis would be good, but so would be Kirby Morrow.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:14 am

Omega Rockman! How are you buddy! I'm glad you are helping everyone here too. We have to do our for our Pals in Canada!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:29 am

NitroEX wrote:Drummond and Tockar seem to have gone silent on the subject of Kai which is strange, especially given Tockar's prior enthusiasm. It's possible that they were both told to remain quiet about it.
Last time I messaged Tockar he basically confirmed he was still under an NDA. I haven't heard anything on this dub from Drummond since his interview with Geekdom though so he was likely told to be quiet too.
NitroEX wrote:As for Marni, I think it's best not to pester her any further. At this stage she has all the contacts and we already know she's interested in this specific dub so it's probably best to be patient and see if she has any good news in the comings days/weeks or possibly even months. For all we know she might not even be the one to make an official announcement, depending on how things are run at their company they might reserve that for someone else (maybe Bell Media?) or just wait until the channel launches. This is all assuming Ocean have cooperated with her and there are no legal issues withholding the dub.
I agree, we've done all we could to suggest the dub to Marni, including giving her Ocean's contact number so its in their hands now. Although since this is the first I've heard of any Canadian TV exec having an interest in Ocean Kai I'll remain cautiously optimistic.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Andrew Francis would be good, but so would be Kirby Morrow.
As much as I'd love Kirby Morrow as Trunks they more than likely wouldn't give him another role if he had previously played Goku and was turned down this time. As TheBlackPaladin explained before it would just feel like softening an already tough blow. Shame though because he's a great actor, especially if given a more fitting role.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:55 pm

NitroEX wrote:So it's either a new guy or Alistair Abell. If they couldn't manage to get Abell I'm personally hoping for Andrew Francis. It wouldn't be the first time he got to play a time traveller...
People aren't considering the underlined option quite enough, I don't think. We know that Ocean re-auditioned the primary voice for each role from the previous Ocean dubs(More on this in a moment), and although at least some of them are known to have been brought back(Drummond, McNeil, Henderson, etc.), a few of them(Kirby Morrow) are known to have been recast if the casting director deemed them unfitting for the role.

A lot of people here seem to be assuming Abell will be back, but it's entirely possible he's been recast.

As a side-note, here's an observation I've recently made about what I've gathered about the online speculation about Ocean Kai -- most people seem to assume it was simply the last actor to play each role who was re-auditioned for Ocean Kai, but since they apparently got Saffron Henderson back as Gohan, I think it's more likely they went with the actor who did that role the most in the Ocean dubs; by this logic, Kirby Morrow was chosen to re-audition as Goku because he was in more episodes than any of the other Ocean Gokus by far -- Ian Corlett was Goku for 36 episodes(39 if you count Tree Of Might), Peter Kelamis was Goku for 68 episodes plus the Pioneer movies, and finally Kirby Morrow was Goku for a staggering 117 episodes.
Jillian Michaels was the last actress to play kid Gohan, but she only played him for 30 episodes(She took over in episode #150, then starting from episode #180, kid Gohan wasn't appearing anymore), meanwhile Saffron Henderson had played Gohan for 96 episodes(99 if you count Tree Of Might), plus the Pioneer movies.
By this logic, Terry Klassen would have been re-auditioned as Roshi, since he played him for the entire Westwood run(169 episodes), but I have a feeling he'd have been recast. This also supports Scott McNeil saying he'd be playing Dr. Brief(The entire Westwood run; his only competition is Paul Dobson, who only played him in the Saban run).
Additionally, using this logic, Maggie Blue O'Hara would likely have been the one to be re-auditioned for Bulma(138 episodes, vs France Peras' 31 episodes, and Lalania Lindbjerg's 66 episodes(69 including Tree Of Might) plus the Pioneer trilogy and Curse Of The Blood Rubies), and Richard Newman would have been re-auditioned for Oolong(169 episodes, vs Alec Willows' 66(69 including Tree Of Might), and the Pioneer trilogy).

Dunno how many of you have thought about this, and maybe I'm totally wrong about this, but this should at least give us something to talk about in the absence of any other information, no?

In any case, I kinda hope I'm wrong about this, because if I'm right, it would mean we'd be unlikely to get Lalania Lindbjerg back as Bulma, and that would be a shame in my view.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:05 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
NitroEX wrote:So it's either a new guy or Alistair Abell. If they couldn't manage to get Abell I'm personally hoping for Andrew Francis. It wouldn't be the first time he got to play a time traveller...
People aren't considering the underlined option quite enough, I don't think. We know that Ocean re-auditioned the primary voice for each role from the previous Ocean dubs(More on this in a moment), and although at least some of them are known to have been brought back(Drummond, McNeil, Henderson, etc.), a few of them(Kirby Morrow) are known to have been recast if the casting director deemed them unfitting for the role.

A lot of people here seem to be assuming Abell will be back, but it's entirely possible he's been recast.

As a side-note, here's an observation I've recently made about what I've gathered about the online speculation about Ocean Kai -- most people seem to assume it was simply the last actor to play each role who was re-auditioned for Ocean Kai, but since they apparently got Saffron Henderson back as Gohan, I think it's more likely they went with the actor who did that role the most in the Ocean dubs; by this logic, Kirby Morrow was chosen to re-audition as Goku because he was in more episodes than any of the other Ocean Gokus by far -- Ian Corlett was Goku for 36 episodes(39 if you count Tree Of Might), Peter Kelamis was Goku for 68 episodes plus the Pioneer movies, and finally Kirby Morrow was Goku for a staggering 117 episodes.
Jillian Michaels was the last actress to play kid Gohan, but she only played him for 30 episodes(She took over in episode #150, then starting from episode #180, kid Gohan wasn't appearing anymore), meanwhile Saffron Henderson had played Gohan for 96 episodes(99 if you count Tree Of Might), plus the Pioneer movies.
By this logic, Terry Klassen would have been re-auditioned as Roshi, since he played him for the entire Westwood run(169 episodes), but I have a feeling he'd have been recast. This also supports Scott McNeil saying he'd be playing Dr. Brief(The entire Westwood run; his only competition is Paul Dobson, who only played him in the Saban run).
Additionally, using this logic, Maggie Blue O'Hara would likely have been the one to be re-auditioned for Bulma(138 episodes, vs France Peras' 31 episodes, and Lalania Lindbjerg's 66 episodes(69 including Tree Of Might) plus the Pioneer trilogy and Curse Of The Blood Rubies), and Richard Newman would have been re-auditioned for Oolong(169 episodes, vs Alec Willows' 66(69 including Tree Of Might), and the Pioneer trilogy).

Dunno how many of you have thought about this, and maybe I'm totally wrong about this, but this should at least give us something to talk about in the absence of any other information, no?

In any case, I kinda hope I'm wrong about this, because if I'm right, it would mean we'd be unlikely to get Lalania Lindbjerg back as Bulma, and that would be a shame in my view.
It'd be great if Lalainia returned as Bulma.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:40 pm

Robo4900 wrote: As a side-note, here's an observation I've recently made about what I've gathered about the online speculation about Ocean Kai -- most people seem to assume it was simply the last actor to play each role who was re-auditioned for Ocean Kai, but since they apparently got Saffron Henderson back as Gohan, I think it's more likely they went with the actor who did that role the most in the Ocean dubs; by this logic, Kirby Morrow was chosen to re-audition as Goku because he was in more episodes than any of the other Ocean Gokus by far -- Ian Corlett was Goku for 36 episodes(39 if you count Tree Of Might), Peter Kelamis was Goku for 68 episodes plus the Pioneer movies, and finally Kirby Morrow was Goku for a staggering 117 episodes.

It is an interesting observation although it doesn't seem to take into account the actor's personal situation. In the case of Maggie Blue O'Hara, I believe she had left Vancouver during the years Kai was in production. Subzero Ice actually did mention that she wouldn't be reprising Bulma and it makes sense given her absence from voice acting at the time. She has seemingly returned to Vancouver as of this year to do some MLP but it's obviously too late for Kai. She's personally my favourite voice for Bulma so for me it was quite a disappointment but Lalainia Lindbjerg is a fine replacement, I could see them going with her or possibly someone new (a la Lee Tockar as Freeza).

Terry Klassen did stuck around the Vancouver scene but he seems to have transitioned into more of a director role over the years. While I'd like to see him return I really doubt he'd have bothered with it at this stage of his career. Much like Ian Corlett, they both appeared to have moved on from anime dubbing when this was cast. I suspect it's more likely that Ocean just cast someone who can match the spirit of Klassen's Krillin. My bets on Samuel Vincent, he's a hugely talented voice actor who I'd be more than happy to have in this dub, he's also got great vocal range which is something anime dubs often look for when dealing with a large cast of characters as they can get more mileage out of one actor to play minor roles.

Both Richard Newman and Alec Willows have stuck around and worked on some anime so it's quite possible either of them were brought back (or both). I think Richard Newman would be more likely to come back since he played Captain Ginyu previously who I believe has a fair bit of dialogue. For Oolong I could see them going for a Blue Water actor honestly, unless, like the situation with Scott McNeil voicing Dr. Brief, they have someone more prominent (such as Richard Newman) voicing him alongside another more important character (Ginyu). It's also worth bearing in mind that the way we define a character's importance wouldn't necessarily be how a casting director might view it, someone like Tien might be important from a fan perspective but since he doesn't have a lot of dialogue in Kai he probably doesn't justify the expense of a higher paid Vancouver actor (unless that actor is already voicing someone with more lines).

Another thing to consider is that some previous cast members weren't even asked to return, we know this from both Ian Corlett and Peter Kelamis (which I believe Subzero Ice originally confirmed, at least for Kelamis). In Ian's case that might've just been a perception that he was either difficult to work with in the past (due to the screaming issue) or the assumption that he wouldn't be willing to work within the budget they had. I can't really figure out why they wouldn't have asked Kelamis back, maybe they just felt he wasn't committed for the main role since he had previously quit in order to pursue comedy.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:31 pm

I'm quite excited by all of this and have been revisiting clips from older dubs etc. on YouTube to try and get a sense of how the show may sound. Found something sorta interesting:

https://youtu.be/cTk15DGQwC0

Uploaded Oct 2016. Never seen it before. Usually when Brian Drummond performs these bits, the recordings leave a lot to be desired e.g. lots of background noise & booming sound systems etc.

This is different.

Outside of the few fan uploads and the music video by BB & G-Wize (circa 2010) this is the first I have seen & heard of such good quality, where he talks for a while whilst in character.

Not sure if he was entirely committed to it or if the voice just happens to be closer to to his own now. But if this is really how it is in the dub then Vegeta sounds great. That scream!! :clap:
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:45 pm

SX10 wrote:https://youtu.be/cTk15DGQwC0
Uploaded Oct 2016. Never seen it before. Usually when Brian Drummond performs these bits, the recordings leave a lot to be desired e.g. lots of background noise & booming sound systems etc.
This is different.
Outside of the few fan uploads and the music video by BB & G-Wize (circa 2010) this is the first I have seen & heard of such good quality, where he talks for a while whilst in character.
Not sure if he was entirely committed to it or if the voice just happens to be closer to to his own now. But if this is really how it is in the dub then Vegeta sounds great. That scream!! :clap:
I don't think he was fully putting it on there. It was a con, so naturally he'd have to hold back; his voice was rather lightly put-on for sure, and that scream was definitely restrained from his capabilities.
I think we have a lot to look forward to from Drummond with Ocean Kai. :D
NitroEX wrote:It is an interesting observation although it doesn't seem to take into account the actor's personal situation. In the case of Maggie Blue O'Hara, I believe she had left Vancouver during the years Kai was in production. Subzero Ice actually did mention that she wouldn't be reprising Bulma and it makes sense given her absence from voice acting at the time. She has seemingly returned to Vancouver as of this year to do some MLP but it's obviously too late for Kai. She's personally my favourite voice for Bulma so for me it was quite a disappointment but Lalainia Lindbjerg is a fine replacement, I could see them going with her or possibly someone new (a la Lee Tockar as Freeza).
Well indeed. Although the entire point of the thought is simply that I'm considering which actors would have been the first picks to re-audition for the roles. I would presume any actors who are unavailable or were deemed unfit for the role would have been recast.
I was never a huge fan of O'Hara, but she was good. To me, Lindbjerg was always the best Bulma. :)
NitroEX wrote:Terry Klassen did stuck around the Vancouver scene but he seems to have transitioned into more of a director role over the years. While I'd like to see him return I really doubt he'd have bothered with it at this stage of his career. Much like Ian Corlett, they both appeared to have moved on from anime dubbing when this was cast. I suspect it's more likely that Ocean just cast someone who can match the spirit of Klassen's Krillin. My bets on Samuel Vincent, he's a hugely talented voice actor who I'd be more than happy to have in this dub, he's also got great vocal range which is something anime dubs often look for when dealing with a large cast of characters as they can get more mileage out of one actor to play minor roles.
I see. Well, I always liked Klassen in Dragon Ball, particularly his Krillin, but I am open to new blood in those roles. Klassen never had a whole lot of range, despite my love for his Krillin. So, I look forward to seeing who else they could get in his place.
NitroEX wrote:Both Richard Newman and Alec Willows have stuck around and worked on some anime so it's quite possible either of them were brought back (or both). I think Richard Newman would be more likely to come back since he played Captain Ginyu previously who I believe has a fair bit of dialogue. For Oolong I could see them going for a Blue Water actor honestly, unless, like the situation with Scott McNeil voicing Dr. Brief, they have someone more prominent (such as Richard Newman) voicing him alongside another more important character (Ginyu). It's also worth bearing in mind that the way we define a character's importance wouldn't necessarily be how a casting director might view it, someone like Tien might be important from a fan perspective but since he doesn't have a lot of dialogue in Kai he probably doesn't justify the expense of a higher paid Vancouver actor (unless that actor is already voicing someone with more lines).
Richard Newman was the best Ginyu IMO, so having him back would be amazing. Always thought he had just the right mix of hilarious and terrifying. He was great.
I seem to remember Oolong's Blue Water voice was pretty good, so if they get him back, that'd be cool. I dunno though, they have both pools to pull from, so as long as who they get is good, I don't mind.
NitroEX wrote:Another thing to consider is that some previous cast members weren't even asked to return, we know this from both Ian Corlett and Peter Kelamis (which I believe Subzero Ice originally confirmed, at least for Kelamis). In Ian's case that might've just been a perception that he was either difficult to work with in the past (due to the screaming issue) or the assumption that he wouldn't be willing to work within the budget they had. I can't really figure out why they wouldn't have asked Kelamis back, maybe they just felt he wasn't committed for the main role since he had previously quit in order to pursue comedy.
That was kind of the whole point about what I was saying.
They only re-auditioned the actor who'd been the character the most. Morrow was Goku for the most episodes, so out of the previous Gokus, they re-auditioned him, and not Corlett or Kelamis. Henderson was kid Gohan for the most episodes, so they re-auditioned her, and not Michaels.
If a re-audition of a previous actor for a role doesn't work out, they begin recasting. Makes a lot of sense; given how many characters there are in Dragon Ball, it'd be a pain if they re-auditioned every actor who's ever played every character. Much easier to just do one for each character, and if it doesn't work out, just recast.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:57 am

If Sam Vincent plays Krillin in this dub, then I could see him sounding the closest to Mayumi Tanaka. I'm not really that fond of Sonny Strait's Krillin, even though I'll admit he's better than Klassen.

Maggie Blue O'Hara is a good Bulma, despite that valley girl tone that she had.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:22 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:If Sam Vincent plays Krillin in this dub, then I could see him sounding the closest to Mayumi Tanaka. I'm not really that fond of Sonny Strait's Krillin, even though I'll admit he's better than Klassen.

I quite liked Klassen's Krillin in the first 53 eps, although it was bordering on being too much. Felt the take in the westwood dub was hamming things up a bit and that's when I stopped liking his take so much.

As for Bulma, I'm a Lindbjerg fan :D
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:28 am

SX10 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:If Sam Vincent plays Krillin in this dub, then I could see him sounding the closest to Mayumi Tanaka. I'm not really that fond of Sonny Strait's Krillin, even though I'll admit he's better than Klassen.

I quite liked Klassen's Krillin in the first 53 eps, although it was bordering on being too much. Felt the take in the westwood dub was hamming things up a bit and that's when I stopped liking his take so much.

As for Bulma, I'm a Lindbjerg fan :D
I have to agree about Klassen.

Lindbjerg is also my favorite Ocean Bulma, but I still feel someone could do better.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:27 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Maggie Blue O'Hara is a good Bulma, despite that valley girl tone that she had.
I could understand that criticism for Tiffany Vollmer's Bulma, she put on a more exaggerated valley girl accent which occasionally made her sound like a bit of an airhead but as for Maggie Blue, that's just her natural accent. Overall I thought she still managed to come off sounding intelligent and I never found her voice or performance to not sound genuine, I also didn't think her voice conflicted with Bulma's character either. Bulma was originally portrayed as more of a free spirited city girl and I feel Maggie's voice brings out that quality better than the other VAs. To add to that it's also just one of the more lighter voices for Bulma which brings with it more of a cute charm ‒ which incidentally matches the intent of the Japanese version.

I feel Lindbjerg's voice brings out more of the scientist/engineer side of Bulma better than the other actors which is just as appropriate but for different reasons. While still charming and cute in her own way, she had a slightly nerdy vibe to her portrayal. Sometimes the voice did get grating for me but not nearly to the same extent as Tiffany Vollmer. In the end I really enjoy them both as they're great performers but if given the choice I'd probably still go with Maggie as I just prefer that voice a little more.
Robo4900 wrote:That was kind of the whole point about what I was saying.
They only re-auditioned the actor who'd been the character the most. Morrow was Goku for the most episodes, so out of the previous Gokus, they re-auditioned him, and not Corlett or Kelamis. Henderson was kid Gohan for the most episodes, so they re-auditioned her, and not Michaels.
If a re-audition of a previous actor for a role doesn't work out, they begin recasting. Makes a lot of sense; given how many characters there are in Dragon Ball, it'd be a pain if they re-auditioned every actor who's ever played every character. Much easier to just do one for each character, and if it doesn't work out, just recast.
See, I think they just auditioned a bunch of actors at once and merely invited the previous VA as a polite courtesy (provided that they actually wanted them back and they were available). I don't really see why they would stop at only hearing one actor without also trying out new talent at the same time, even if they liked the previous one there might always be someone more fitting for what the producers want. This wasn't being handled in the same way as the Funi dub of Kai where they automatically cast a lot of the same people from Z without a casting call.

For Corlett and Kelamis I still think what I said earlier would factor into them not getting informed about Kai's auditions. The producers and directors likely didn't want to risk them walking out again mid way, that wasn't an issue for Kirby Morrow as he proved himself reliable so he was at least told about it, he just wasn't what the new producers were looking for I guess.

Saffron Henderson was quite a unique case in that she returned to vancouver after a brief stint in LA and once again became active in Vancouver anime dubs, Ocean knew she was here to stay this time and still enjoyed dubbing anime (unlike Corlett and possibly Kelamis) so it only made sense to offer her an audition. Even if they didn't offer her one she might have just taken the initiative herself and got an audition when she found out it was happening. Some actors actually do want to reprise their old anime roles and it wouldn't surprise me if she was one of them.

Of course, we now know that Kelamis and Corlett both have a newfound appreciation for Goku thanks to the fanbase giving them praise years after the fact. It's a pity they didn't get to try out for this, especially in Kelamis' case since Ocean apparently wanted something in the same spirit of the Japanese version, which I think we all know he could provide, but in the end Richard Ian Cox fits the bill of being a more reliable veteran (along with being a great performer). Anyway, I trust that they chose him for a good reason so I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it turned out.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:52 pm

NitroEX wrote:Maggie Blue O'Hara is a good Bulma, despite that valley girl tone that she had.I could understand that criticism for Tiffany Vollmer's Bulma, she put on a more exaggerated valley girl accent which occasionally made her sound like a bit of an airhead but as for Maggie Blue, that's just her natural accent. Overall I thought she still managed to come off sounding intelligent and I never found her voice or performance to not sound genuine, I also didn't think her voice conflicted with Bulma's character either. Bulma was originally portrayed as more of a free spirited city girl and I feel Maggie's voice brings out that quality better than the other VAs. To add to that it's also just one of the more lighter voices for Bulma which brings with it more of a cute charm ‒ which incidentally matches the intent of the Japanese version.

I feel Lindbjerg's voice brings out more of the scientist/engineer side of Bulma better than the other actors which is just as appropriate but for different reasons. While still charming and cute in her own way, she had a slightly nerdy vibe to her portrayal. Sometimes the voice did get grating for me but not nearly to the same extent as Tiffany Vollmer. In the end I really enjoy them both as they're great performers but if given the choice I'd probably still go with Maggie as I just prefer that voice a little more.
That's how she sounds in real life? Wow, didn't know that.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:18 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: That's how she sounds in real life? Wow, didn't know that.
Yeah, pretty much. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmEDtU8QEqQ