Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by sintzu » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:04 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:Naruto you can definitely see them running out of ideas (End of 4th World War Arc) or essentially rebooting the series with new characters to milk more (Boruto).
I think what's hurting Naruto the most is the lack of involvment from Kishimoto while DB (with its many issues) still has Toriyama's mark on it.

With DB likely to go on forever, I hope they get a better writing team in the future as the Black arc and the current one has some terrable writing that should've been fixed a long time ago.
Lord Beerus wrote:Super is going to be around for at least another five years and they going to continue to milk the shit out of the 10 year gap.
Even if Super ends before they'll just start a new show. It feels like yesterday when we thought we'd never get new DB content, now there's more than we can keep up with.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:07 pm

Kinda weird that there hasn't been a new movie(ignoring potentially next year). The schedule must be Hellish.
Feels over Reals.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:11 pm

RedHeat wrote:Kinda weird that there hasn't been a new movie(ignoring potentially next year). The schedule must be Hellish.
That, and there most likely isn't enough (good) staff available to jump on board for the production of an animated film.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:11 pm

RedHeat wrote:Kinda weird that there hasn't been a new movie(ignoring potentially next year). The schedule must be Hellish.
It's probably isn't scheduling so much that Toriyama may not want to write a movie. Movies written by the author have become kind of the norm for these kind of series like all the One Piece movies after Strong World with the exception of the short 3D movie. The same with Naruto.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:12 pm

Toei have a lot of projects they work on from series to movies so there's no way we'll get a set schedule.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:12 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Everyone on about Jump Festa but isn't it Manga related things? Like I know U.S arc was announced there but even then that was Toyo who did the PV and Jump Festa just happened to coincide timeline wise with them announcing the next arc previous years we didn't have any breaking news at previous Jump Festa's, right?

I don't think people should get their hopes up for anything significant.
This arc won't be over by then is the reason why we will get nothing.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:06 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Everyone on about Jump Festa but isn't it Manga related things? Like I know U.S arc was announced there but even then that was Toyo who did the PV and Jump Festa just happened to coincide timeline wise with them announcing the next arc previous years we didn't have any breaking news at previous Jump Festa's, right?

I don't think people should get their hopes up for anything significant.
This arc won't be over by then is the reason why we will get nothing.
Which is why it would be perfect for them to announce a movie.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:59 am

sintzu wrote:
Even if Super ends before they'll just start a new show. It feels like yesterday when we thought we'd never get new DB content, now there's more than we can keep up with.
Dragon Ball's popularity is one of the few reasons I am very hesitant to call Super a milking show. If a franchise is that much popular to get rebooted after 20 years, it deserves it. The term milking has a very heavy negative connotation, people generally use it when they really want the main series to die off for good. Like now they are using it for Naruto because Boruto started within a year of the manga's ending, and Kishimoto has no involvement (as you said). That pissed off a lot of Naruto fans who saw Boruto as beating a dead horse. Boruto is neither Naruto nor its own thing, it has severe identity crisis. The whole point about Naruto was being a hokage which was fulfilled with the epilogue, Boruto logically has zero reason to exist. Whereas DBS is a legit extension of Dragon Ball which is one of the reason it's getting more popular every year. I wouldn't call DBS a quality show or even as good as DBZ, but fans have come to recognize and appreciate for what it is.

Mind you, I am a harsh critique DBS and bash poor episodes every chance I get. However as a guy who has loved DB for over a decade and half I feel happy for DBS success.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:37 am

Faisal Shourov wrote:
Boruto is neither Naruto nor its own thing, it has severe identity crisis.

I wouldn't call DBS a quality show or even as good as DBZ, but fans have come to recognize and appreciate for what it is.

Mind you, I am a harsh critique DBS and bash poor episodes every chance I get.
That's one flaw Super doesn't have, it's had a clear image and direction form the start so overall we have an idea about where it's going. I'm a huge Naruto fan but I've got 0 idea about Boruto's direction or why they're even making it (apart to make $$$ of course).

That's how I see it as well, it's very flawed compared to the original 2 but I enjoy it for what it is. The manga on the other hand is a far better product and for that alone I'm happy Super's anime was made otherwise we wouldn't have gotten that. If there's one thing that makes the show worse than it actually is it's the fan boys that go after the original to justify its lack of quality.

You're not the only one, how do you think I got my post count so high ? :lol:

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:29 pm

sintzu wrote:[

That's one flaw Super doesn't have, it's had a clear image and direction form the start so overall we have an idea about where it's going. I'm a huge Naruto fan but I've got 0 idea about Boruto's direction or why they're even making it (apart to make $$$ of course).
The only reason Boruto exists is $$$. That's it. From a logical point not only Boruto should not exist, it must not exist. Boruto can only hurt Naruto's legacy and not add anything to the franchise (there's really nothing to add, Naruto is already over officially). Boruto isn't Naruto, so what is it exactly? Even GT had better reason to exist than Boruto (and I hate GT, as everybody else). If I could hakai and erase anything from history, it's Boruto.

The good thing is DBS managed to expand Dragon Ball's setting and opened new possibilities. Unlike many action shonen, Dragon Ball's plot doesn't have any final goal (like Luffy becoming pirate, Naruto becoming hokage etc), so it can take a lot of different directions and still continue. I don't even mind a retcon to EoZ really.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:29 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:I don't even mind a retcon to EoZ really.
I don't like Uub and Goku leaving the way he did so I'd be happy if the did that.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:47 pm

Thinking how Bulma and Kuririn supposedly look in 4 short years from now can't we say it already has been retconned in a way. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:17 pm

sintzu wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:Naruto you can definitely see them running out of ideas (End of 4th World War Arc) or essentially rebooting the series with new characters to milk more (Boruto).
I think what's hurting Naruto the most is the lack of involvment from Kishimoto while DB (with its many issues) still has Toriyama's mark on it.

With DB likely to go on forever, I hope they get a better writing team in the future as the Black arc and the current one has some terrable writing that should've been fixed a long time ago.
Lord Beerus wrote:Super is going to be around for at least another five years and they going to continue to milk the shit out of the 10 year gap.
You realize the writing was done by Toriyama? So you'd like to replace him ASAP?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:26 pm

sangofe wrote:
You realize the writing was done by Toriyama? So you'd like to replace him ASAP?
I'm talking about some of the writers at toei, not him.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:29 pm

sintzu wrote:
sangofe wrote:
I'm talking about some of the writers at toei, not him.
Can you really say they have "writers"? Don't they just adapt Toriyama's story? I wouldn't really call it "writing" per se even though the anime's got differences with the manga (and what's interesting is that even the manga has differences with Toriyama's drafts).

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:57 pm

sangofe wrote:Can you really say they have "writers"? Don't they just adapt Toriyama's story?
How it's adaptid and how the characters are written is all handled by Toei's staff. Toriyama just gives a very slim outline for them and Toyotarou to use, he has nothing to do with the details, that's all left up to them. His outline is so slim that even major plot points are being made up by them such as SsjG Vegeta for the manga and everything Trunks did in the anime.

Toriyama's role seems to be gauding them into the right direction rather than being in charge of everything like he was while he wrote the manga.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:19 pm

sintzu wrote:
sangofe wrote:Can you really say they have "writers"? Don't they just adapt Toriyama's story?
How it's adaptid and how the characters are written is all handled by Toei's staff. Toriyama just gives a very slim outline for them and Toyotarou to use, he has nothing to do with the details, that's all left up to them. His outline is so slim that even major plot points are being made up by them such as SsjG Vegeta for the manga and everything Trunks did in the anime.

Toriyama's role seems to be gauding them into the right direction rather than being in charge of everything like he was while he wrote the manga.
Hmmmm. Has it been confirmed anywhere that the outline is so slim as you say? Or is it your impression?

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:16 pm

sangofe wrote:
Hmmmm. Has it been confirmed anywhere that the outline is so slim as you say? Or is it your impression?
It was stated in the new interview (translated by Herms). Toriyama only writes a small draft and the rest are done by Toyataro for manga and Toei for the anime

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/925385637447921664

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:36 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:
sangofe wrote:
It was stated in the new interview (translated by Herms). Toriyama only writes a small draft and the rest are done by Toyataro for manga and Toei for the anime

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/925385637447921664
I didn't find that quote. Could you type it here, please?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:52 pm