Super Episode 114 (5 November 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Excel Rose

Re: Super Episode 114 (5 November 2017)

Post by Excel Rose » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:24 pm

I'm tired of kale and caulifla, I just want them to be eliminated ASAP.

Vegeta vs Toppo is way more interesting than goku vs two bland characters.

The only thing I enjoyed today was Frieza.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:24 pm

Frieza and Catopesla was a hoot. "I'll choose to ignore that." :lol:

Goku seemed to indicate that he plans to wish at least Universe 6 back once the tournament concludes if he wins. "After the Tournament of Power's over, let's do this again sometime." Really only one way for that to work, Goku.

I loved all the scenes between Caulifla and Kale and their developing teamwork as Kale grows into her power and confidence. I am sad they didn't keep the hulking berserker form, but if they can do something with the new skinny form, then hey, roll with it! I hope this means Kale will finally get a TUR in Dokkan Battle! :lol:

Looks like Jiren is finally starting to stir again thanks to this battle. My prediction is that we'll see Kafla and Goku team up to fight Jiren until Goku can get Ultra Instinct back for round 2. And hey, Vegeta vs Toppo!

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:26 pm

They could have easily combined last week's episode with this one but it was definitely a step up.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:28 pm

Artorias wrote:
RedHeat wrote:
Artorias wrote:If anything, this episode proves that it's impossible to make Caulifla and Kale interesting. It was written by Toshio, Super's best writer, and even HE couldn't do anything with their characters.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go change my pants from that artwork.
I disagree. The episode shows that Kale and Caulifla play off each-other fantastically, from a character and personality standpoint.
I mean, hey I can't stop you from thinking that way. I think they're dreadful characters in every way, and find it impossible to be even slightly invested when they're on screen alone.
What makes them dreadful characters? At this point I don't even know what people want from them.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:29 pm

What a great episode! Sad we couldn't get something this good last week. Even I, who couldn't wait to see more of the girls was left with an empty feeling after that one, but boy did this make up for it!

Absolutely loved Kale and Caulifla teaming up. Their relationship is very sweet and they just work so well together. Truly a great duo. I was especially happy to see Kale finally break out of her Broly shell and come into her own. I didn't mind her Berserk form at all, but just like with her male counterpart, the skinny one is so much better!
Caulifla also impressed me with her friendship monologue at the beginning and the beautiful Potara reveal at the end. She is just a blast to watch.

Goku also continues to be a beast from last week (which was the best part of that void of an episode) and the way he handles his two new, safe to say, pupils is a blast. Great decision by the staff to showcase his battle tricks against the most undercooked opponents on the stage. Just hammers the point in that the two girls are way over their head.

Also loved to see more of Champa's place and his pre-Tournament schemes. It's great that he was the one to come up with the fusion plan. After Frost's little scene with him, this just adds a bit more to the guy, especially after the pretty shitty way he's mostly been portrayed so far.

I really like Kafla design and can't wait to see more of her. At first I was worried about this, since I like the girls individually and felt a lot more could've been done with them that way, but their great handling this episode and a great introduction to the fused character basically alleviated all that. Also, happy to see Kafla's design didn't go the DB Fusions route of having both hair colors in. Luckly, it's also keeping Kale's form as her dominant side. Sadly however they're keeping Caulifla's back lines. I know they're not supposed to be her ass, but it just looks like it most of the time.

On the other hand, Vegeta vs Toppo was way too short. I'd much rather it not be at all in there if it's not going to get the focus. Either balance the screen time, or just give them their own episode. Like this it just feels like filling a quota.

Freeza was great this episode, which is becoming a meme at this point, but it's true. Hope he does something interesting soon though, cause he kinda lost his wild card role for me. He's just too quick to go with the flow. This better have a good payoff.

Katosepra is great. His hero gimmick is tired, but I love the concept of the belt and I really hope we get to see more of it. And if it's going to be against 17, even better! At least one U3 character is likable. Luckly, it's also one ofthe better designed ones.

So yeah, solid episode! Very hard finding something to complain about. After last week I really needed this to turn out as good as it did.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Also, regarding Kale's form this episode, I guess that settles the debate whether or not that was her SS form or controlled berserker form or something else entirely. :lol:

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:33 pm

Colonel Silver
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Colonel Silver » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:35 pm

Ah, so this is why Jiren spared Kale from a ring out and showed Hit zero mercy. Toei couldn't miss out on this merchandising opportunity. Hit was all tapped out in terms of what he can sell, he can't transform a million times, he doesn't have unlimited cyan bodentiol and thus his armor was negated.

I'm fucking livid. This deviantart abomination who couldn't even go super saiyan a few days ago just rocked God Goku. I swear, I must be a masochist. Why do I do it to myself? What the fuck is wrong with me?
Last edited by Colonel Silver on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diggz92

Post by Diggz92 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:36 pm

I like how they Home-aged the spirit gun for those that remember Yu Yu hakusho but Goku used two fingers instead of one
Art animation was on point
Universe 3 superhero interaction with frieza was funny
for some reason i was a little bit of bardock vs frieza when caulifla was about to fire a blast at him. goku grabbing his wrist was like the time he was going to shot gohan on namke.
since powerscaling is a thing i think they handled it well in this ep. everything from goku withstanding the ki blast in god form and its speed and power difference to kale and caulifla.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:39 pm

SSG Goku and seeing Goku's battle skills in this episode once again was awesome. Kale has really come a long way for me. Love the character now.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:39 pm

I loved this episode.
    The battle were really good with some good god goku action with some badass moves as well the team moves,i never seen this much teamwork in super & kale was not yelling son goku 24/7 and her relationship with caulilfa is just cute.
      This episode the other side of the ring something that 113 lacked,we finally vegeta vs toppo and freeza continues to funny,i really liked dyspo reaction as well Katosepra which is now my favorite u3 character because of his power and his joke :lol:.I only got these complaint like there was one odd shot with the benches of u6 and regaining stamina while battling someone is just silly :crazy: .
        Side note,this is the first time super used this song
        Last edited by The gr on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
        Mostly active on discord.

Artorias
        Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:41 pm

precita wrote:
        Artorias wrote:
        RedHeat wrote: I disagree. The episode shows that Kale and Caulifla play off each-other fantastically, from a character and personality standpoint.
        I mean, hey I can't stop you from thinking that way. I think they're dreadful characters in every way, and find it impossible to be even slightly invested when they're on screen alone.
        What makes them dreadful characters? At this point I don't even know what people want from them.
        I pretty much agree with the general criticisms we've all heard by now. One is an annoying corporate cash grab that exists solely to be a reference to an already terrible character, and the other is an annoying Mary Sue that has no real character development and instead only "develops" by getting a bunch of unearned new forms and power-ups.
        Last edited by Artorias on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tombstone1988
        Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:42 pm

Things I Liked:

-The art was (mostly) great this episode.
        -The fight actually seemed to have a natural flow to it, moreso than last week for sure.
        -The tag team attacks were pretty interesting.
        -If we're going the fusion route, potara is definitely the way to do it, so good on ya for that one.

Things I'm Mixed On:

-I enjoy Vegeta vs. Toppo, but the cuts to it are far to short to be entertaining.
        -I still despise Kale and have a general disdain for Caulifla, but there was something oddly charming about their banter and teamwork. Even though I don't like them, this episode at the very least was better at showcasing why others would.
        -As I said, potara fusion is by far the best route to go for the fusion, but we're not even gonna take a second to discuss how these are outside items? A simple talk like with the jar for the Mafuba would have been nice.

Things I Disliked:

-Very minor point, but Freeza's eyes looked really weird at times this episode. At one point he had one eye looking ahead and slightly to the right with the other looking directly up; it was quite bizarre.
        -So I guess Toei's brilliant explanation for why Goku is just fine despite being fatigued and having little stamina is "because Goku." Great. And if the subs for the NEP I saw are accurate, he's going to go SSB with the Kaioken next week. You know, a very stamina-intensive technique. *Sigh* You don't even care anymore, do you Super?
        -Not a fan of the dialogue this week either. It got a little grating hearing Caulifla say multiple times that she and Kale were the strongest in all the universes.

Overall, this episode was far better than last week's waste of an episode. The art, minus Freeza's eyes, was fantastic. The action had much better direction than last week. I felt like this episode progressed the story rather than stall it. It wasn't a perfect episode; I'm still not satisfied with Toei's BS excuses for why Goku seems to be just fine despite having stated multiple times he's fatigued and low on stamina. Still, it was an enjoyable episode. Easily in the upper half of the episodes for this tournament.
        "If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
        (Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

Torturephile
        Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:42 pm

[spoiler]
        OLKv3 wrote:Image
        [/spoiler]
        Seriously, who makes these? I love these comics.
        From Super episode 113 thread:
        MaskedRider wrote:
        Torturephile wrote:
        hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
        namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
        The fandom in a nutshell.
        The duality of man.

precita
        Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:42 pm

Artorias wrote:
        I pretty much agree with the general criticisms we've all heard by now. One is an annoying corporate cash grab that exists solely to be a reference to an already terrible character, and the other is an annoying Mary Sue.
        Kale has long since moved-on from being a fem!Broly clone. In fact if it weren't for the green hair, she'd resemble nothing of Broly design or personality wise.

I also don't see how Caulifa is a Mary sue when nothing she's done in the series outside her Super Saiyan forms makes her unbeatable to anyone else.

avasatu
        Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:42 pm

Much better than last week. Still sloppy, but much better.

SSG > current Berserk Kale > Kale during 100, thus Goku was massively holding back when Kale tanked his Kamehameha. Glad they cleared that up.

Kefla looks great, except that she's wearing what appears to be...pajamas?

Great animation, decent but not great modeling. The pace was choppy, and there was too much talking. I need more choreographed fighting from Super. I've been lax on it until now, but I have to begin speaking my mind on the issue. The fights we do get are incredibly short and chopped up, and there is 1-5 seconds of actual choreography per fight, in total, on average. Not acceptable in 2017. I have great respect for the animators and realize all too well how hard it is to make anime, so I will never speak negatively of the staff at Toei, but I believe they can certainly do better in this aspect.

Frieza was great. Vegeta ransacking Toppo was great. Still no idea why he isn't getting decent screentime.

I would be much more upset about Kefla's power if we actually knew how strong fusion was. She could be anywhere from SS3 Caulifla to base Kale * base Caulifla. The latter makes absolutely no sense, so I generally say base Potara fusion is between 500 and 4000 times the average of the bases of the users. There are reasons for those numbers stemming from many statements I've come across over the years. Even if we say base Kefla is 5k times base Caulifla, that doesn't even put her in SSG range, by my calculations.

I have work that seem to hold up to even the most severe scrutiny I've encountered that show that SSG is, at absolute worst, 20 times SS3. This would put Goku one notch above base Kefla in SSG, and noticably below SS Kefla even as an SSB (assuming 10 times multipler from SSG, as implied by the manga). I'm hoping this episode either confirms something close to my suspicions, OR shows us that Goku is in fact stronger than we thought, OR shows me that one of my multipliers is too small.

Artorias
        Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:45 pm

I've been seeing a lot of people say they liked this "version" of the fight more than last week's, and I couldn't disagree more. Neither fight was a 10/10 or anything, but last weeks had a much better flow to it to me. This episode, for as great as the ART was, I found the actual fighting to be sloppy and awkward as hell. It was clearly rushed overall.
        Last edited by Artorias on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSKC

Post by SSKC » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:46 pm

Vegeta speedblitzed Toppo hard in that first exchange, I wish they would expand on that fight more.

Overall, much better episode than last week. The Saiyan girls were more enjoyable, Frieza absolutely steals every scene he's in since his return. Goku was pretty serious as well, which is a nice change. Hopefully their battle fully concludes next week.

giovanni02

Post by giovanni02 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:46 pm

Kefla's Base Form seems to be as strong or stronger than Goku SSJ God. I'm actually satisfied by that since it makes Vegetto that much more overpowered which was what I believed from the start (I believe Vegetto SSJ3 should still be weaker than Beerus, but Blue with Kaioken should definitely hit his level). Some people might think that these girls are getting too overpowered, but I'm guessing just take it lightly, I mean, they used potaras, that's an appelation pretty much anyone can use.

That actually brings me to my next impression, I feel like Kale and Caulifla don't act very Saiyan, at least not like Goku and Vegeta, and actually, they act very cowardly. I mean, it's bad enough that two of them were fighting an already exhausted and injured Goku, but now they're actually using the ultimate appelation (potaras) against him. Makes me kinda dislike them, since they are fighting anything but fair. (You might say the fate of the universe is at stake, but seriously, go fight someone else or whatever).

Lastly, I believe fusion is a lot more cool when it comes from characters like Goku and Vegeta which would never even consider it but were forced onto it. Caulifla and Kale just fused so naturally it's kinda of lame actually, I believe they don't even mind being like that (probably prefer it, due to the power). With that being said, I do hope fusion between Goku and Vegeta does get a bonus for that (the so called rival bonus), then that would be fine I guess.

Shlugo
        Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shlugo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:48 pm

Wasn't God forms supposed to be more powerful than non-god fusion? Then again God Goku couldn't even KO SSJ 2 Caulifla, so I don't even know anymore.

At least the fight was cool, and I like how Caulifla and Kale relationship has grown.