"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:06 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Ep titles:
#41 "Come Forth, Divine Dragon, and Grany My Wish, Easy Pleasy!"

#42 "The Stormy Victory Party! Is It Finally Monaka vs. Son Goku?!"
Oh, come on! This again?! Can't we just have consistency please?!
These are provisional I think as #41 has been updated to ""Come Forth, Divine Dragon and Grant My Wish, Peas and Carrots!"" now.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:12 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Ep titles:
#41 "Come Forth, Divine Dragon, and Grany My Wish, Easy Pleasy!"

#42 "The Stormy Victory Party! Is It Finally Monaka vs. Son Goku?!"
Oh, come on! This again?! Can't we just have consistency please?!
These are provisional I think as #41 has been updated to ""Come Forth, Divine Dragon and Grant My Wish, Peas and Carrots!"" now.
:lolno: Really? Peas and Carrots? Does "Pretty Peas" sound too inappropriate? I mean that excuse doesn't really make much sense anyways due to how heavily adulterated this dub is.
Caulifla best girl! :)

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:14 pm

Scsigs wrote:Well, I don't think they could have a 1:1 time with the Japanese to air them the same nights as they do in Japan. I could see something like Attack on Titan season 2's turn around time, with each episode airing a month after they do in Japan over here, dubbed. A lot Japanese anime series get started animating only a few months before broadcast, with Super's production time being 6 weeks, & the voice acting being recorded afterwards just like when it's being dubbed in another language, so, while Toei can email FUNi the Japanese scripts for translation, they'd still need more time to script & record the dub. Hence why I say a month. Not only that, but with the big amount of characters in the current arc, they're going to have to cast a large amount of actors to play them, leading to the need to have more time to record the episodes. While they can record the parts of the main characters with their principle cast in a quick enough time, i'm doubting that they'd have as easy a time doing that. though I'm sure Sabat is auditioning people as we speak for the uncasted characters for when the time comes.
I'd settle for 2 months, any better than that would be awesome.
With that 6 week lead time, a month or two would likely be as good as it would get.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:28 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Oh, come on! This again?! Can't we just have consistency please?!
:lolno: Really? Peas and Carrots? Does "Pretty Peas" sound too inappropriate? I mean that excuse doesn't really make much sense anyways due to how heavily adulterated this dub is.
Probably lip flaps.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:12 pm

so how much more breaks do have to suffer?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:09 pm

So... Why FUNimation is releasing new episodes weekly? I mean other dubs are releasing new episodes everyday from Monday to Friday? Can't they just do the same? :think:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:58 pm

Noah wrote:So... Why FUNimation is releasing new episodes weekly? I mean other dubs are releasing new episodes everyday from Monday to Friday? Can't they just do the same? :think:
I believe it depends on the contracts they have with independent TV channels. Other countries managed to score Monday to Friday deals with channels in their region, but in the US they could only get the 8-9PM and Toonami slots. That's all AS wanted to air, apparently. We'd probably get more episodes a week if Toonami were a daily block, but unfortunately that isn't the case. I don't see them putting the show on daytime CN, either. I mean, they gave up freaking Pokémon to Disney. Anime on daytime CN is probably done forever.

The contract also probably says that they can only premiere episodes on Toonami, so putting the dub on FuniNow is probably not an option. Apparently that happened with Attack on Titan one week when Toonami had a break or something so Funi couldn't put the newest dub episode at the time on FuniNow. They have to honor their contracts or they risk losing business and goodwill with broadcasters who may want to air their stuff. It sucks, but that's show biz.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:30 pm

Yeah, it's pretty much down to Toonami being a once-a-week thing. Also possibly Adult Swim wanting to maintain a certain degree of variety on the block.

The upside to this is that it gives Funimation more time to work on each episode, and it should completely avoid the situation with DBZ (and other Super dubs, from what I've read online) where the broadcast had to periodically "reset" because they ran out of new episodes to air and had to wait for more to be dubbed.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:05 pm

Theophrastus wrote:Yeah, it's pretty much down to Toonami being a once-a-week thing. Also possibly Adult Swim wanting to maintain a certain degree of variety on the block.

The upside to this is that it gives Funimation more time to work on each episode, and it should completely avoid the situation with DBZ (and other Super dubs, from what I've read online) where the broadcast had to periodically "reset" because they ran out of new episodes to air and had to wait for more to be dubbed.
Yeah apparently France aired a couple eps of the Trunks arc and were then like the rest will air in 2018. And that's when FUNi's dub of it will air. So it's either a consistent stream of weekly dubbed episodes or inconsistent batch of episodes here and there. The Toonami Asia dub wad ahead of FUNi at one stage now look.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Kaioken Blue Time! Let's see how Sean knocks this out of the park.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:25 am

Kaioken x10 SSBlue was freaking EPIC. I can see why people were finally won over with that scene. Sean delivers a badass performance. I mean, I could get through the scene with Nozawa if I bothered to watch the sub outside of clips, but Sean's definitely the definitive English Goku. He has the power in his voice now more than ever. SS3 in Kai & now this. It's all just great!
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:46 am

gohan_black wrote:so how much more breaks do have to suffer?
Probably three more in 2017; Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:27 am

That was awesome! The way Sean yelled “Times 10!” gave me chills.

I’m glad that Goku said “Now I’ll show you Kaioken!” rather than just “Kaioken”. In the original Japanese scene there were way too many lip flaps when Nozawa yelled “Kaioken” and it always looked off to me.

Mercer’s still killing it as Hit.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:31 am

There description of Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken was off since they called the Kaioken calm. Someone probably should tell Sabet this so it can be corrected.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:33 am

Yep, that was awesome! There's something so wonderfully animalistic in Sean's screams, and you could tell he was really going all out for this one.

I kind of wish they hadn't made it "Now I'll show you the..." and instead just dragged out "Kaioken" the way the Japanese version did. He did that in Xenoverse 2 and it really captured the feeling of awe. But, lip flaps gonna lip flap.

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:02 am

I too am just slightly disappointed he didn't just say Kaio-Ken, but everything else was just so cool, I can't be bothered to care, I'm too busy feeling warm and fuzzy over here.

It is kind of surreal to hear Schemmel finally do this part though. Much like many other people here, this was the scene that made me sit up and pay attention to Super. When I first watched it, I couldn't help but imagine what Sean would sound like come time for the dub, which at the time I was sure wouldn't be far off. But since it took so long to finally get here, to me Super has since felt strangely detached from the dub. Sure they're dubbing the episodes, but I've already experienced this before, I'll watch it of course, but I'm more interested in the new and shiny episodes. In a weird way, I've had a parallel experience to when I watched this subbed. This scene once again made me stop and take notice. It reminded me that these actors, who I've enjoyed for so many years, are still giving it their all, they're doing a damn fine job of it, and that this dub deserves my attention.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:33 am

Kaio_Krazy wrote:I too am just slightly disappointed he didn't just say Kaio-Ken, but everything else was just so cool, I can't be bothered to care, I'm too busy feeling warm and fuzzy over here.

It is kind of surreal to hear Schemmel finally do this part though. Much like many other people here, this was the scene that made me sit up and pay attention to Super. When I first watched it, I couldn't help but imagine what Sean would sound like come time for the dub, which at the time I was sure wouldn't be far off. But since it took so long to finally get here, to me Super has since felt strangely detached from the dub. Sure they're dubbing the episodes, but I've already experienced this before, I'll watch it of course, but I'm more interested in the new and shiny episodes. In a weird way, I've had a parallel experience to when I watched this subbed. This scene once again made me stop and take notice. It reminded me that these actors, who I've enjoyed for so many years, are still giving it their all, they're doing a damn fine job of it, and that this dub deserves my attention.
You know, I totally get what you're saying. I was so excited to watch this episode dubbed and I certainly wasn't disappointed, but coming off episode 114 with all it's crisp animation, shiny art and unpredictable turns couldn't help but diminish the impact somewhat. I mean, comparing 39 to 114 is particularly unfair since 114 is already shaping up to be one of the best looking episodes ever, while 39 may have been good for it's time but is still stuck in that midpoint between the awfulness of BoG/RoF and the generally improved look of late Future Trunks arc onwards.

The dub is still top notch, but weirdly enough I think I enjoyed it more when they were going through the movie recaps. I barely paid attention to those in Japanese, but the dub cast's natural charisma really helped elevate them. Now we've finally crossed the line into "yo, Super is actually good" territory and I'm enjoying it but noticing the stumbles more if that makes sense. Who knows, maybe by this logic I'll end up really liking the Copy Vegeta stuff dubbed :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:11 am

Schemmel's screaming has actual nuance nowadays instead of just yelling. This was wonderful. Kaioken x10 read was pretty freaking epic.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:12 am

The Kaioken Blue time tens segment was everything I wanted out Schemmel and Mercer and even more.

Great stuff.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:08 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Oh, come on! This again?! Can't we just have consistency please?!
What do you mean by " how heavily adulterated this dub is"?