Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by Avok » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:10 pm

Eh, I think the Boo overall saga looks better than all of Super.
Some shots this episode looked straight out of Studio Cockpit though.

Derf

Post by Derf » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:41 pm

This was the nicest looking Dragon Ball episode ever. Art direction wise, better than all of DB, DBZ, DBGT, and even the DBS Special. Godly.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:57 pm

Avok wrote:Eh, I think the Boo overall saga looks better than all of Super.
People are just comparing this episode to the Buu arc, not the whole of Super.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:11 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
The gr wrote:This is the art i want for super ever since day 1,i'm getting some dbz vibes by looking at it.
    Who drew this shot [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
    Yuichi Karasawa did that whole scene.
    Really good effects for that scene,i liked it.This saga has so many good character design for the other universe,maybe i will make an album of this with imgur.
    Mostly active on discord.

FartiliciousManChild
    Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:17 pm

emperior wrote:
    FartiliciousManChild wrote:Does anyone know Yuya Takahashi's twitter by any chance? Or any social media really. I like showing some appreciation to some animators/writers, especially when i would love for them to stay at Super (no, that does not mean i'll go beg for them to stay).
    https://mobile.twitter.com/TTSoolBNiuIb6jG

Here's his twitter.
    Thank you!! Couldnt find it on my own, there's strangely enough another guy called Yuya Takahashi who's a singer and also asian though, that guy kept on popping up instead of the 'real deal' i was looking for.
    How i got into this shit:

Hit!!
    Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:39 pm

Derf wrote:This was the nicest looking Dragon Ball episode ever. Art direction wise, better than all of DB, DBZ, DBGT, and even the DBS Special. Godly.
    I'm pretty sure there's a DBZ episode somewhere in the Cell arc that looks better art wise than this one.

But all in all, this episode was superior from the rest of super!!

MrWalnut4
    Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:57 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Guys I need your help re: colours. So for the longest time I just been watching DBS on my phone and recently started watching on my tablet and stream on tv via HDMI and noticed the colours on the tablet and tv are different to my phone, instance SSGSS is more lighter in colour on those than my phone it's slightly darker. The colours on the latter to seem more muted in general too (compared to the colours on my phone).

What's really weird is I went to take a pic off of an SSGSS shot on my phone and the camera of tablet had the colour of SSGSS be in lighter in blue and not what my phone was showing, it's super weird so I can't give an example. So have I been watching this entire arc in wrong colours then? Eeeeeek. Does anyone know why my phone is making colours weird then?
    Your devices probably just have different levels of color accuracy and luminosity. In addition your camera probably isn't completely color accurate either. It's not anything to worry about.

FortuneSSJ
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:29 pm

I hope in the next Blu-Ray releases they actually focus on shots that really need correction, instead of fixing what isn't broken. Like this one:

Hit doesn't smile like that. Fix it! :lol:
    A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheOne
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:46 pm

Avok wrote:Eh, I think the Boo overall saga looks better than all of Super.
    First time opening this thread and the first statement I saw reflected my thoughts exactly lol

The beginning of the episode yesterday reminded me of Buu saga (some Cell) animation. I’m hoping we get more episodes like this :clap:
    How i predict the tournament will end:

Amir
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:20 pm

Super has many better looking episodes than this one.
    The thing that made the episode look nice is the art, but Super has episodes with really great animation cut which is more important than just really great art. This episode's animation was a bit above average at best.

cuartas
    Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:59 pm

MrWalnut4 wrote: I can't be the only one getting major Masunaga vibes from some of Takahashi's artwork.
    No, you are definitely not the only

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:09 pm

What if Takahashi becomes a Chief Animation Director for Super like Keiichi Ichikawa did for One Piece? We'd be looking at that gorgeous art a lot more if so
    "You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Asura
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:19 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:I hope in the next Blu-Ray releases they actually focus on shots that really need correction, instead of fixing what isn't broken. Like this one:

Hit doesn't smile like that. Fix it! :lol:
    Maybe he's feeling hopeful like Gowasu.

Although look what good that did for Gowasu...

Asura
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:22 am

If the reception to this episode was so overwhelmingly positive both here and in Japan, is there any more of a likely chance that we'll be seeing more of Takahashi from now on?

JulieYBM
    Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:05 am

Terrible episode. Evevyon was off model god why iz the budget so low did they use it all up on the special, liek, shit, fuck, cunt, platypus snot how lazy do you have to beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!###########$@#@
    She/Her
    progesterone princess, estradiol empress
    bisexual milf

DainIronfoot
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:50 am

Amir wrote:Super has many better looking episodes than this one.
    The thing that made the episode look nice is the art, but Super has episodes with really great animation cut which is more important than just really great art. This episode's animation was a bit above average at best.
    Not really, if you made a poll, the majority will say Art + decent animation would make for a better episode than simply good animation. This is also ensuring the people asked know the difference between the two. This episode got a VERY positive reaction because it's animation was decent and the beautiful art shined. THAT'S a good episode.

JazzMazz
    I Live Here
    Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:56 am

JulieYBM wrote:Terrible episode. Evevyon was off model god why iz the budget so low did they use it all up on the special, liek, shit, fuck, cunt, platypus snot how lazy do you have to beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!###########$@#@
    Well, I have seen people say that the shading for the episode was terrible, they even described it as amateurish. So, that sterotype definitely exists. :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:34 am

As great as #114 was, it is super depressing knowing this is what modern DB should have been. Only thing that would made this perfect is if we got to see Takahashi draw base Goku, image a highlight-less and no extra back bangs Base Goku...!

Also I feel people are expecting way too much regarding Takahashi he is freelance and that must be for a reason, most likely because he doesn't want to be tied to a studio or project, it is great if he can be all these things like CD etc but we gotta be realistic, I have already accepted that we might not even see him again this arc.

#39.
    Ide ran wild! Urgh what a mess of an episode. Thank goodness for Yamamuro saving the KK scene otherwise this would have been a complete disaster, Goku's SSGSS hair is wildly inconsistent, the moment where KKx10 Goku attacks Hit still looks pretty bad. Not fan of Ide's correction in this episode at all. So much repeated frames, reused shots and animation. Urgh.
    Next week #40 can't remember much but it's Yashima luckily Tsuji is Chief.

iAnimationLover_
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:01 pm

Amir wrote:Super has many better looking episodes than this one.
    Are you high?

Can you mention any better looking episodes than this one? Animation-wise, its clearly not the best, not even close. But art-wise, I'd say its the best.

emperior
    I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:10 pm

I need to see more of Takahashi, especially his base Goku! His art is the kind of nostalgia they should have went with. Fuck homages and fan-service, just make Takahashi the character designer.
    悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical