Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:10 am

NitroEX wrote:The Ocean cast are as versatile as any other. People might associate their voices more with western cartoons but that's simply because... they mostly work on western cartoons!

A lot of modern dubbing actors (particularly in the Texas/Funimation side) don't often get to work on big budget cartoons so most of their work is comprised of anime and some video games, a lot of stuff that doesn't tend to sound overly theatrical. They often seem to either play roles that are overly serious and realistic or very "anime" (for a lack of a better word), basically performances that fall into certain tropes about how we expect anime voice actors to act when voicing a certain anime archetype. I think this is partly due to the directors wanting a certain style but at the same time we're also starting to see more anime fans becoming professional voice actors so certain ways of performing are probably becoming more idealized by that younger group.

I personally think the Ocean's cast and it's directors have the right idea by going more theatrical for anime dubs as anime can be often be quite static at times (as in, only moving a character's mouths and minimal body movement) so a lively performance can make a static animated scene really come alive. I think they know this and thankfully have an experienced talent pool of cartoon actors who are able to execute it well and not come off as ridiculous (like other amateur dubs in the past that tried to imitate that style).

But this doesn't change the fact that Ocean's cast can still be serious if they want to (Jin Roh, Sword of the Stranger, Death Note, Black Lagoon etc) so it's a bit of an ignorant criticism for someone to make about them. Also, the alternative: monotone boring line reads are far worse in my opinion.
You do have a point there. Even though the Westwood dub wasn't Ocean's best work, I'd still take Drummond over Sabat. He had more emotion and passion.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:24 am

I don't think the suits behind the dubs have ill will towards each other, they probably have a sort of healthy working relationship if anything? given Ocean's involvement in Funi's Kai TV edits.

It's likely that these seemingly harsh decisions and reactions are just business at play, for the most part. Some of the actors may talk shit from time-to-time, but the feuds are really the fault of the fandom.

Also if the channel wasn't so popular maybe it went for a good price, that could see their budget for it increase a small a result.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:28 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:It's all in Shulman's hands. We've all done our part, now we just have to trust Shulman to do the rest. :)
I think it's out of her hands. If she can't get Kai because the powers that be want more than her bosses are willing to spend, then that's not really her fault. You can't blame her if she finds out it's "unavailable" for whatever reason.

I have to wonder how/if streaming rights will play into things. The channel Wow is buying isn't very popular, which has me wondering if the acquisitions are going to be bait for Crave (a local streaming service). Who even knows if the powers behind this dub have clearance on that.
I don't think the former channel's lack of popularity has any bearing of the potential popularity of the new one. Wow!'s channel could still do well, especially if they acquire the titles that Marni has expressed interest in.

As for how much Ocean and Toei would want for licensing Kai, Tuner's Southeast Asian division managed to shell out the dough for Super and I reckon that Bell Media has a wealthier budget.

The best we can do right now is wait and see how all of this unfolds.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:16 pm

SX10 wrote:I don't think the suits behind the dubs have ill will towards each other, they probably have a sort of healthy working relationship if anything? given Ocean's involvement in Funi's Kai TV edits.

It's likely that these seemingly harsh decisions and reactions are just business at play, for the most part. Some of the actors may talk shit from time-to-time, but the feuds are really the fault of the fandom.
Agreed. I can't speak for all actors, but I know I certainly wouldn't take fault with another actor playing a role I originally played unless they said rude things to or about me (and even then, I'd just have a problem with the rudeness in and of itself, not the fact that they're playing a role that I originally played). Sure, there are examples of actors having petty feuds online, but it's mostly civility. Scott McNeil and Chris Sabat have met several times at conventions and have nothing but nice things to say about each other, and while Chris Sabat and Brian Drummond have not met, they've also said nothing but nice things about each other.

PS: Speaking of Sabat and Drummond having never met each other...well, it was announced recently that that's about to change!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:09 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
SX10 wrote:I don't think the suits behind the dubs have ill will towards each other, they probably have a sort of healthy working relationship if anything? given Ocean's involvement in Funi's Kai TV edits.

Agreed. I can't speak for all actors, but I know I certainly wouldn't take fault with another actor playing a role I originally played unless they said rude things to or about me (and even then, I'd just have a problem with the rudeness in and of itself, not the fact that they're playing a role that I originally played). Sure, there are examples of actors having petty feuds online, but it's mostly civility. Scott McNeil and Chris Sabat have met several times at conventions and have nothing but nice things to say about each other, and while Chris Sabat and Brian Drummond have not met, they've also said nothing but nice things about each other.

PS: Speaking of Sabat and Drummond having never met each other...well, it was announced recently that that's about to change!
Drummond and Sabat together, huh? That'll be fucking awesome!
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:21 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I have to wonder how/if streaming rights will play into things. The channel Wow is buying isn't very popular, which has me wondering if the acquisitions are going to be bait for Crave (a local streaming service). Who even knows if the powers behind this dub have clearance on that.
I thought of streaming is an option, but as far as I'm aware, much like with the home releases Funimation has the streaming rights on lockdown in North America. The fact Ocean were credited as editing the Nicktoons footage is also a good indication that this dub was only ever meant for broadcast purposes.
8000 Saiyan wrote:You do have a point there. Even though the Westwood dub wasn't Ocean's best work, I'd still take Drummond over Sabat. He had more emotion and passion.
I'm going to wait to see this dub to make a fair judgement. For the Saiyan saga and Majin Vegeta stuff Drummond wins, but for the rest of the series I'd take Kai Sabat. If he will be using a mix of his traditional Vegeta and Zechs voice it would be a close comparison.
Arian wrote:As for how much Ocean and Toei would want for licensing Kai, Tuner's Southeast Asian division managed to shell out the dough for Super and I reckon that Bell Media has a wealthier budget.
The Bang Zoom dub of Super was likely cheaper to produce because it was a non-union dub and this Kai dub uses predominently union actors, although since it has a replacement score and its been finished for a while Wow may be able to get it for a reasonable price comparatively to other shows that would be considered Canadian content (which as a national broadcaster Wow will need to fill that quota anyway).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:36 pm

When it comes to Sabat, I'll admit that he has improved immensely with Kai and the recent movies, but I believe Drummond could improve even more than him.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:33 pm

I definitely think Drummond has a lot of untapped potential to offer Vegeta's character. Hopefully the approach with this dub has been similar to Funi in terms of keeping close as possible to the feel of the Japanese version (I'll accept the replacement score if it fits the mythical feel of Dragon Ball) as I think it would be incredible to hear what he could do if directed right.

Either way, the one character Sabat plays that he will never top his Ocean counterpart with is Piccolo.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:21 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:

Exactly! The way I see it, these actors are so busy they barely remember their own body of work. A feud over 'who did it better' is the furthest thing from their minds. Not to mention they are highly professional and seem like really open and nice individuals.

I saw that little announcement on twitter :D scream off!!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:13 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I definitely think Drummond has a lot of untapped potential to offer Vegeta's character. Hopefully the approach with this dub has been similar to Funi in terms of keeping close as possible to the feel of the Japanese version (I'll accept the replacement score if it fits the mythical feel of Dragon Ball) as I think it would be incredible to hear what he could do if directed right.

Either way, the one character Sabat plays that he will never top his Ocean counterpart with is Piccolo.
I believe the producers wanted it to be close to the Japanese version.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:41 pm

This might be a bad or selfish mindset, but I wouldn't even care if it were faithful. The Funimation's Kai DVDs and Blu-rays are available for "accuracy." I just want to hear another take on the series. I know, I'm weird when it comes to this topic. I'm the guy that doesn't mind their original work on Z (nor Funimation's) not because I think it was amazing or better than the original or anything, but because at least I feel like the show gets refreshed with each new take on it.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:46 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:This might be a bad or selfish mindset, but I wouldn't even care if it were faithful. The Funimation's Kai DVDs and Blu-rays are available for "accuracy." I just want to hear another take on the series. I know, I'm weird when it comes to this topic. I'm the guy that doesn't mind their original work on Z (nor Funimation's) not because I think it was amazing or better than the original or anything, but because at least I feel like the show gets refreshed with each new take on it.
Funimation's Kai isn't actually that accurate.

If you A/B compare it, most of the lines are from the Z dub, but tweaked a little to be less cheesy, and to remove a lot of the extra fluff they added back in the day(Like, for example a line that was like this in Funi Z: "You are doomed. Haha, yes, from the moment this fight started, it became clear that I would be the one to take the victory" would become this in Funi Kai: "You are doomed.", while the Steve Simmons subs would read more like "And now, you will die.").
Last edited by Robo4900 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:10 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:This might be a bad or selfish mindset, but I wouldn't even care if it were faithful. The Funimation's Kai DVDs and Blu-rays are available for "accuracy." I just want to hear another take on the series. I know, I'm weird when it comes to this topic. I'm the guy that doesn't mind their original work on Z (nor Funimation's) not because I think it was amazing or better than the original or anything, but because at least I feel like the show gets refreshed with each new take on it.
Funimation's Kai isn't actually that accurate.

If you A/B compare it, most of the lines are from the Z dub, but tweaked a little to be less cheesy, and to remove a lot of the extra fluff added in their original Z dub.
Are you sure? I recall it being accurate despite a few changes.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:14 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Are you sure? I recall it being accurate despite a few changes.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure...
Take a look:
[spoiler]Funimation Z
Ox-King: "And... you're saying that Goku had to, I mean, that he's uh..."
Roshi: "Yep. He's, uh, dead."
Ox-King: "Uh oh, Chi-Chi! Uh, get the smelling salts, Krillin."

Funimation Kai
Ox-King: "Uh... so you're saying that Goku had to, I mean, that he's..."
Roshi: "He's uh... kinda dead."
Ox-King: "Ah! Chi-Chi! Oh, get the smelling salts, Krillin!"

Steve Simmons' Kai subtitles
Ox-King: "W-what happened to G-G-Goku?!"
Roshi: "H-He's dead."
Ox-King: "Chichi! Buck up!"

-
Funimation Z
Bulma: "Hey! Guys, let's go! I got this thing working. Uh, guys? You... listen! I've been up all night, and I'm a little bit irritable right now. So, you do not want to get on my bad side this morning. Now then, let's try this again. Let's go guys!"
Roshi: "Uhh... hop where?" (I realise this line doesn't make sense. What Bulma says just before this is one of the lines Funimation slightly rewrote because the Ocean script assumed the scene was cut down. Bulma's line in the Ocean version was: "Hey guys, hop to, I got this thing working." Funnily enough the Funi Kai line seems to be more similar to Ocean Z than Funi Z)
Funimation Kai
Bulma: "Hey Guys! Hop to, I think I got it working! Listen! I've been up all night, and I'm a little bit irritable right now. You do not want to get on my bad side this morning! Now then, let's try this again. Hop to, guys!"
Roshi: "Uhh... hop where?"

Bulma: "Hey, I'm finally done! You've got some nerve, kicking back and sleeping at a time like this! You there, Old Man Turtle, stand up."
Roshi: "O-Old Man Turtle?"

-
Funimation Z
Krillin: "Hey, check mine out! I'd love to know what my Power Level is!"
Bulma: "Alright, you got it... 206. Not bad."
Krillin: "Oh, wow! Hear that, Master Roshi? My Power Level's higher than yours!"

Funimation Kai
Krillin: "OK, OK. Come on, my turn! What's my number, Bulma?"
Bulma: "How about that? 206."
Krillin: "Hey! I'm stronger than you! The student has surpassed the master!"

Krillin: "B-Bulma-san, how high am I?"
Bulma: "Amazing! It says 206."
Krillin: "I really have surpassed you, Muten Roshi-sama!"

-
Funimation Z
Bulma: "I'm beginning to think you're lost! We walked all the way down here, and now there's nowhere left for us to go! It's a dead end! Wait stop!"
Funimation Kai
Bulma: "Hey! If you've brought me all the way out here just to try something funny, you should know I've been taking Judo since I was 9 years old. Get me? Don't go! It was a joke!"
Bulma: "You haven't brought me to this godforsaken place in order to do something pervy with me, right? H-Hey!"[/spoiler]
Last edited by Robo4900 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:16 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Are you sure? I recall it being accurate despite a few changes.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure...
Take a look:
[spoiler]Funimation Z
Ox-King: "And... you're saying that Goku had to, I mean, that he's uh..."
Roshi: "Yep. He's, uh, dead."
Ox-King: "Uh oh, Chi-Chi! Uh, get the smelling salts, Krillin."

Funimation Kai
Ox-King: "Uh... so you're saying that Goku had to, I mean, that he's..."
Roshi: "He's uh... kinda dead."
Ox-King: "Ah! Chi-Chi! Oh, get the smelling salts, Krillin!"

Ox-King: "W-what happened to G-G-Goku?!"
Roshi: "H-He's dead."
Ox-King: "Chichi! Buck up!"

-
Funimation Z
Bulma: "Hey! Guys, let's go! I got this thing working. Uh, guys? You... listen! I've been up all night, and I'm a little bit irritable right now. So, you do not want to get on my bad side this morning. Now then, let's try this again. Let's go guys!"
Roshi: "Uhh... hop where?" (I realise this line doesn't make sense. What Bulma says just before this is one of the lines Funimation slightly rewrote because the Ocean script assumed the scene was cut down. Bulma's line in the Ocean version was: "Hey guys, hop to, I got this thing working." Funnily enough the Funi Kai line seems to be more similar to Ocean Z than Funi Z)
Funimation Kai
Bulma: "Hey Guys! Hop to, I think I got it working! Listen! I've been up all night, and I'm a little bit irritable right now. You do not want to get on my bad side this morning! Now then, let's try this again. Hop to, guys!"
Roshi: "Uhh... hop where?"

Bulma: "Hey, I'm finally done! You've got some nerve, kicking back and sleeping at a time like this! You there, Old Man Turtle, stand up."
Roshi: "O-Old Man Turtle?"

-
Funimation Z
Krillin: "Hey, check mine out! I'd love to know what my Power Level is!"
Bulma: "Alright, you got it... 206. Not bad."
Krillin: "Oh, wow! Hear that, Master Roshi? My Power Level's higher than yours!"

Funimation Kai
Krillin: "OK, OK. Come on, my turn! What's my number, Bulma?"
Bulma: "How about that? 206."
Krillin: "Hey! I'm stronger than you! The student has surpassed the master!"

Krillin: "B-Bulma-san, how high am I?"
Bulma: "Amazing! It says 206."
Krillin: "I really have surpassed you, Muten Roshi-sama!"

-
Funimation Z
Bulma: "I'm beginning to think you're lost! We walked all the way down here, and now there's nowhere left for us to go! It's a dead end! Wait stop!"
Funimation Kai
Bulma: "Hey! If you've brought me all the way out here just to try something funny, you should know I've been taking Judo since I was 9 years old. Get me? Don't go! It was a joke!"
Bulma: "You haven't brought me to this godforsaken place in order to do something pervy with me, right? H-Hey!"[/spoiler]
Wow, never realized how similar the lines were.

ButtfaceKalinski

Post by ButtfaceKalinski » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:29 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: although he isn't on good terms with Corlett, Kelamis and Morrow.
Uh, are you sure? I can't even imagine how that would happen.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:37 pm

ButtfaceKalinski wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: although he isn't on good terms with Corlett, Kelamis and Morrow.
I believe that at one point, he blocked Peter Kelamis on Twitter for no reason, scolded Kirby Morrow for saying that he was the "voice of Goku" at a convention and he also got frustrated at a panel after bringing up the idea of Ian Corlett coming back to play Black Goku.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:53 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
ButtfaceKalinski wrote:
I believe that at one point, he blocked Peter Kelamis on Twitter for no reason, scolded Kirby Morrow for saying that he was the "voice of Goku" at a convention and he also got frustrated at a panel after bringing up the idea of Ian Corlett coming back to play Black Goku.
Holy crap! That honestly doesn't surprise me much. When I said some actors talk shit, he was one of the guys I had in mind. I'm sure he is great one-on-one, but I have seen him get easily irritated by small things and be precious over other things, take himself a bit too seriously at times and didn't he pretty much challenge user penguintruth to a confrontation over (albeit bad & trolling) criticism?

Here in Scotland the word would be "wanky" :lol:

But hey, just calling it as I see it, I obviously don't know him.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:58 pm

SX10 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
ButtfaceKalinski wrote: Uh, are you sure? I can't even imagine how that would happen.
Holy crap! That honestly doesn't surprise me much. When I said some actors talk shit, he was one of the guys I had in mind. I'm sure he is great one-on-one, but I have seen him get easily irritated by small things and be precious over other things, take himself a bit too seriously at times and didn't he pretty much challenge user penguintruth to a confrontation over (albeit bad & trolling) criticism?

Here in Scotland the word would be "wanky" :lol:

But hey, just calling it as I see it, I obviously don't know him.
Indeed. Penguintruth is also a jerk.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:37 pm

Oh yeah. I read most of his posts out of sheer fascination. Guy was definitely a jerk.