Piccolo Being Setup for Namekian God Transformation?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Piccolo Being Setup for Namekian God Transformation?

Post by Zagacious » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:12 pm

For a while now I always wanted Piccolo to get a sort of power boost in DBS because he's mostly been irrelevant, even in the tournament. I always joked about him getting Namekian God, but now I think it's actually possible based on some clues. Even Tien has done more than Piccolo in this tournament. The two new Namekians also seem to serve no purpose either, they've been shown 3 or 4 episodes and haven't done anything in any of them.

I believe Piccolo will later on fuse with these Namekians because of U7 assisting U6 earlier, and because of this spoiler in episode 118:
[spoiler]In episode 118, it looks like a universe is getting close to eliminated, I believe it will be U6 after Kefla is defeated by UI Goku or Jiren, making the Namekians desperate and offer to fuse with Piccolo (Perhaps they even reveal the Namekian God information about 5 fusions). This may give U6 some additional time as Piccolo would be both a U6 and U7 warrior.[/spoiler]
Episode 115 may also reveal something about this but we'll see:
[spoiler]This spoiler in episode 115 could potentially reveal more about if Namekian God will happen- it says the other fighters will think about strategies involving using the potara earrings to fuse while Goku and Kefla fight. Now the Namekians obviously wouldn't use Potara, but this would get them thinking about fusion.[/spoiler]

If you include the fusion with Kami, Nail, and these two new Namekians, it would make 5 fusions, similarly to how Goku achieved SSG through 5 Saiyans. You could argue that Piccolo and Kami were originally together so it's only '4 namekians' but I think it works because they sort of became their own individuals, and it still makes up for 5 fusions. As pointed out the SSG ritual requires 5 Saiyans + the one transforming, but Namekian God could work differently because they are using fusion and because they are a different species.

It just seems setup so perfectly how these 2 Namekians just came out of nowhere and aside from potentially fusing with Piccolo they seem completely irrelevant. It just seems so strange otherwise for these Namekians to be here like this and serve no purpose especially considering they came from U6 which makes them more likely to help Piccolo.
Last edited by Zagacious on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Piccolo Being Setup for Namekian God Transformation?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Zagacious wrote: If you include the fusion with Kami, Nail, and these two new Namekians, it would make 5 fusions, similarly to how Goku achieved SSG through 5 Saiyans. You could argue that Piccolo and Kami were originally together so it's only '4 namekians' but I think it works because they sort of became their own individuals, and it still makes up for 5 fusions. It just seems setup so perfectly how these 2 Namekians just came out of nowhere and aside from potentially fusing with Piccolo they seem completely irrelevant.
SSJG was 5 + the person turning god.

If Piccolo fused with the U6 Namekians, that would only make 5 counting himself. He'd need one more.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:16 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Zagacious wrote: If you include the fusion with Kami, Nail, and these two new Namekians, it would make 5 fusions, similarly to how Goku achieved SSG through 5 Saiyans. You could argue that Piccolo and Kami were originally together so it's only '4 namekians' but I think it works because they sort of became their own individuals, and it still makes up for 5 fusions. It just seems setup so perfectly how these 2 Namekians just came out of nowhere and aside from potentially fusing with Piccolo they seem completely irrelevant.

If Piccolo fused with the U6 Namekians, that would only make 5 counting himself. He'd need one more.
True, although it's off by one number, it still seems incredibly setup for that don't you think? The Namekian God transformation could only require 5. Fusion is a more natural thing for Namekians so the rules are probably different if a Namekian God does exist. (Dende wasn't hiding in the stands anywhere was he ? :P ) Since they are fusing it may work differently.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:44 pm

Zagacious wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

True, although it's off by one number, it still seems incredibly setup for that don't you think? The Namekian God transformation could only require 5. Fusion is a more natural thing for Namekians so the rules are probably different if a Namekian God does exist. (Dende wasn't hiding in the stands anywhere was he ? :P ) Since they are fusing it may work differently.
You may be right, the rules don't have to be the same. I do think Piccolois way over due for a power up, but I believe a better route would be the Namekian Book of lgeneds, which sadly seemed to be nothing more than a throwaway line.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:00 pm

I'm expecting very little to happen with Piccolo. Both Toei and Toriyama have an unfortunate pension for shortchanging particular characters by diminishing their roles and preventing their ability to capitalise on some of the tools used to make Goku so powerful in the context of the present arc. It's the same half-hearted excuse to shelve these characters instead of giving them the means to succeed like Kaioken and god ki. I don't know why they're so adamant against giving those like Piccolo these tools. Are they afraid that it would complicate the roster too much by having 3-4 other fighters besides the Saiyans partaking in the skirmishes? Imagine having Namekian deity Piccolo and god ki powered earthlings going at with Black using some absurdly high Kaioken multiplier. Does it sound like it would put a damper on the sequence of events when you have three blue tier fighters ganging up on the same person?

Just my personal advice, but I think airing on the side of caution and low expectations would be best.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:02 pm

He will get something big in the future. It is Piccolo's turn and will come somehow from the Universe 6 Namekians.

Frieza will be back in Hell, Android 17 will be back on that island, Gohan will go back to being a nerd in that green tracksuit. Future Trunks is stuck in the future. Buu will always fall asleep. The kids will never be used. Piccolo is ahead of the Earthlings and Android 18 so Piccolo must be next.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:19 pm

Lionel wrote:It's the same half-hearted excuse to shelve these characters instead of giving them the means to succeed like Kaioken and god ki. I don't know why they're so adamant against giving those like Piccolo these tools. Are they afraid that it would complicate the roster too much by having 3-4 other fighters besides the Saiyans partaking in the skirmishes? Imagine having Namekian deity Piccolo and god ki powered earthlings going at with Black using some absurdly high Kaioken multiplier. Does it sound like it would put a damper on the sequence of events when you have three blue tier fighters ganging up on the same person?

Just my personal advice, but I think airing on the side of caution and low expectations would be best.
I know it's unlikely they'll actually do something this cool with Piccolo, even though as I pointed out it's setup almost perfectly for that, I still see a lot of clues that make me think they are definitely considering it. If you look at the spoilers for 117 and 118 -
[spoiler]Goku is exhausted again after using UI against Kefla, so in 117 he is being defended by the Androids, which leaves U7 vulnerable temporarily unless either Vegeta or Piccolo steps up to hold Jiren off for a while (possibly both of them) until Goku can recover. Almost has some direct parallels to the Frieza arc where Vegeta and Piccolo would hold off Frieza while Goku is recovering..Still going on the assumption that Goku is the one that defeats Jiren (which may or may not happen, but either way) someone or multiple people may need to hold off Jiren from Goku when the timer reaches close to the end[/spoiler]

And I don't expect the Namekian God transformation to be anywhere near enough to defeat Jiren, but hopefully enough to hold him off for whoever fights him next (Vegeta perhaps, then probably Goku) since Goku will need the rest.

I think they balanced strong fighters decently in the end of the Frieza arc, and middle/beginning of Cell arc, you had Vegeta and Piccolo all relevant, (even Tien somewhat relevant although besides the point) at least for a short period of time, even if Goku/Gohan is the one finishing it, the other characters still had their uses and weren't completely too weak to be relevant. Future Trunks was honestly kind of overkill to be around with Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, and Trunks SSJ and none of their moves are really THAT unique to each other honestly (Galick Gun is not that different than Kamehameha, Buster Cannon, etc) but their moveset is entirely decided by the writer.

I'd argue that it's easier to make a god level Piccolo interesting in fights because he has regeneration and a few interesting moves that are potentially more interesting than Vegeta's given Piccolo had the god power behind it. The trick Hellzone Grenade, extreme flexibility/stretching limbs, Special Beam canon all energy focused into one point would be deadly with god power behind it.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Can Piccolo just get a power up without fusion? They should just use the Namekian Book of Legends or have the uni 6 Namekians have a techinque that Piccolo later learns. Tired of fusion.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:23 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:Can Piccolo just get a power up without fusion? They should just use the Namekian Book of Legends or have the uni 6 Namekians have a techinque that Piccolo later learns. Tired of fusion.
Piccolo should ask why Saonel and Pilina are as strong as they are. They then say they were trained by some legendary Namekian. Piccolo then goes through this training and gets stronger.

They could just introduce the Red Eyed form from Dragon Ball online.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:36 pm

The problem with Saonel and Pirina having a power-up technique that Piccolo could use, especially if we're talking about something that those two are themselves not currently using, is that Piccolo is barely keeping up with them as is. Argue it all you want, but it was obvious to almost everyone that Piccolo is struggling with them more than Gohan is. If the U6 Namekians have a power-up up their sleeves, then Piccolo is going to get wrecked by them (while Ultimate Gohan, presumably, would then still be more than enough to deal with them). If the U6 Namekians go red-eyed, Piccolo is as good as gone.

I like the idea of a 5 namek fusion resulting in god ki, but it's very arbitrary and it would rely on 0% canonical build up. I don't see any foreshadowing or indication that something like this will happen, and the functionality, what, if any 5 namekians fuse they become a god? Why wouldn't it be insanely more common? I suppose, maybe there would have to be a special ritual known only in the Namekian Book of Legends, but still.

I do wish Piccolo would get a straight power boost. The man works hard in-universe and is a beloved character with a cool, varied, and visually interesting moveset. It would be so fun and rewarding to see Piccolo take on serious threats again, rather than scraping by against the likes of Frost and still losing. I maintain that it would have been great for his character to have stood in for Goku in episode 106, I believe it was, when Goku fought against SSJ2 Caulifla. There's no reason Piccolo couldn't have handed her the same student-teacher beatdown, even if Caulifla wouldn't have the motivation to want to fight Piccolo (but, hey, would have given her stronger motivation to seek Goku out and fight him later in the tournament).
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:43 pm

Ziegander wrote:The problem with Saonel and Pirina having a power-up technique that Piccolo could use, especially if we're talking about something that those two are themselves not currently using, is that Piccolo is barely keeping up with them as is. Argue it all you want, but it was obvious to almost everyone that Piccolo is struggling with them more than Gohan is. If the U6 Namekians have a power-up up their sleeves, then Piccolo is going to get wrecked by them (while Ultimate Gohan, presumably, would then still be more than enough to deal with them). If the U6 Namekians go red-eyed, Piccolo is as good as gone.

I like the idea of a 5 namek fusion resulting in god ki, but it's very arbitrary and it would rely on 0% canonical build up. I don't see any foreshadowing or indication that something like this will happen, and the functionality, what, if any 5 namekians fuse they become a god? Why wouldn't it be insanely more common? I suppose, maybe there would have to be a special ritual known only in the Namekian Book of Legends, but still.

I do wish Piccolo would get a straight power boost. The man works hard in-universe and is a beloved character with a cool, varied, and visually interesting moveset. It would be so fun and rewarding to see Piccolo take on serious threats again, rather than scraping by against the likes of Frost and still losing. I maintain that it would have been great for his character to have stood in for Goku in episode 106, I believe it was, when Goku fought against SSJ2 Caulifla. There's no reason Piccolo couldn't have handed her the same student-teacher beatdown, even if Caulifla wouldn't have the motivation to want to fight Piccolo (but, hey, would have given her stronger motivation to seek Goku out and fight him later in the tournament).
That's true, but Super is trying to push Piccolo as someone who beats his opponents through strategy. I mean yeah, if these Namekians have a red-eyed form Piccolo is fucked, but they could have him eliminate one through strategy.
namekiansaiyan wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:Can Piccolo just get a power up without fusion? They should just use the Namekian Book of Legends or have the uni 6 Namekians have a techinque that Piccolo later learns. Tired of fusion.
Piccolo should ask why Saonel and Pilina are as strong as they are. They then say they were trained by some legendary Namekian. Piccolo then goes through this training and gets stronger.

Well they could just be really strong Namekians.

Fingers-crossed for red-eyes or someone new technique from them.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Ziegander wrote:The problem with Saonel and Pirina having a power-up technique that Piccolo could use, especially if we're talking about something that those two are themselves not currently using, is that Piccolo is barely keeping up with them as is. Argue it all you want, but it was obvious to almost everyone that Piccolo is struggling with them more than Gohan is. If the U6 Namekians have a power-up up their sleeves, then Piccolo is going to get wrecked by them (while Ultimate Gohan, presumably, would then still be more than enough to deal with them). If the U6 Namekians go red-eyed, Piccolo is as good as gone.

If they introduce the Red Eyed form then Piccolo will get it in the future which means he can get these serious battles that people want. It is better than getting nothing at all. Piccolo fans should want Saonel and Pilina to be as strong possible as that increases the chance of Piccolo gettimg a massive boost. Piccolo fighting these Namekians might make him realise that he has so much more he can do to improve

Also Gohan is struggling as well and in the preview his Masenko is doing shit against Saonel's Explosive Demon Wave. Saonel and Pilina also need to be doing well to keep the fight going on in the background.

If they power up, it would be brilliant if Piccolo beats them through strategy.
The_Destroyer wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

Well they could just be really strong Namekians.

Fingers-crossed for red-eyes or someone new technique from them.
If they are strong then I hope there is a reason why that doesn't include fusion so Piccolo can benefit. Toriyama better not waste this opputunity to add something to the Namekians that can help Piccolo.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IndieBooToo
Temporarily Banned

Post by IndieBooToo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:10 pm

Piccolo isn't getting anything. Face the facts. Dude is a irrelevant weakling.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:19 pm

IndieBooToo wrote:Piccolo isn't getting anything. Face the facts. Dude is a irrelevant weakling.
Everyone is weakling except Goku from Universe 7.

Piccolo has already got a power up just not a big one. It is only a matter of time until he gets a big one.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:15 pm

Ziegander wrote:I like the idea of a 5 namek fusion resulting in god ki, but it's very arbitrary and it would rely on 0% canonical build up. I don't see any foreshadowing or indication that something like this will happen, and the functionality, what, if any 5 namekians fuse they become a god? Why wouldn't it be insanely more common? I suppose, maybe there would have to be a special ritual known only in the Namekian Book of Legends, but still.
The build-up I see is more subtle, but it could just be misuse of the characters. The fact that the Namekians have been shown 3 or 4 times and haven't done anything, Piccolo himself has been shown a lot but hasn't really done anything either and we just happen to have 2 Namekians left who are also in U6 which may be the last 2 remaining fighters of U6 depending on how long Kefla lasts. I'm hoping the Namekians will mention something to Piccolo or each other in 115 when it looks like other universes are beginning to discuss fusion as a result of Kefla.

The Namekian God fusion may only be powerful enough if the host / dominant person in the fusion is powerful enough to warrant the god transformation. It's not specifically stated but I doubt the SSG Ritual would have worked if the characters' power levels were as weak as they were in the Saiyan saga. Up until now there may have never been any reason to do the 5 namekian fusion. Since it is seemingly permanent then there may have not been a good enough reason to do it until now, or maybe only a couple Namekians even know about it.
IndieBooToo wrote:Piccolo isn't getting anything. Face the facts. Dude is a irrelevant weakling.
Piccolo was slightly stronger than Android 17 in the Android saga, and look how strong Android 17 is now. The average farmer Namekians during the Namek/Frieza saga were very strong relatively, even stronger than the Saiyans on Planet Vegeta, there's no reason Namekians can't potentially be at god level if Saiyans can be.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:18 am

Piccolo is not being set up to become “Nameccian God”. Why would you wanna introduce new Nameccians just to waste them? Also, why give Piccolo a power up? He doesn’t need one. Piccolo is fine the way he is. All of the characters are fine the way they are and don’t need to keep up with Gokuh and Vegeta. The series, from the beginning, has showed and has been telling us that no one can keep up with Gokuh because he’s a Saiyan and Saiyans love to fight and they have crazy fighting ability.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:27 am

Meshack wrote:Piccolo is not being set up to become “Nameccian God”. Why would you wanna introduce new Nameccians just to waste them? Also, why give Piccolo a power up? He doesn’t need one. Piccolo is fine the way he is. All of the characters are fine the way they are and don’t need to keep up with Gokuh and Vegeta. The series, from the beginning, has showed and has been telling us that no one can keep up with Gokuh because he’s a Saiyan and Saiyans love to fight and they have crazy fighting ability.
You are the one of the only people who think Piccolo does not need a power up since you need it in this series so you can at least participate in some big fights.

He should at least get some sort if big power up as 17, Gohan, Future Trunks and Frieza got one.

I don't want them to waste the Namekians either and I want the Red Eyed form introduced or something like that.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:09 am

Piccolo lacks any kind of substantive role. How else could you describe his participation in the Super series except as having the functionality of a disposable gastropodous fleshbag who's taken advantage of to demonstrate the power of this or that character? His shining moments in the series thus far have been surpassing expectations against the debilitated leavings of the Champa arc only to be shortchanged yet again and then demonstrating the Mafuba so Trunks can mimic it. I suppose there's also his integral role in enabling Gohan to reawaken his unlocked potential, but that's working towards the aim of emboldening someone else. What personal accomplishments can Piccolo say he's had in Super?

I've said this before but if the studio and Toyotaro aren't going to provide anything meaningful to Piccolo then they shouldn't persist in having him strut about like there's some potential significance to his appearing on the scene. He's fine the way he is? I'm not sure what constitutes as "fine", but it would be better if they chose to phase him along with everyone from the old class out if nothing is going to be offered to keep them relevant. Don't beat around the bush or put Piccolo into a role that inspires prospective hope from fans for something greater. If you ask me, I think it leaves a bad impression that only certain types of characters can achieve a maintainable degree of developmental success over the course of the story. Many avenues exist through which Piccolo could regain his footing with the Saiyans, but no one with the power to do something about it seems to be concerned enough to give it a try. So what does that leave other than the occasional scraps and exploitative guinea pig roles?

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:34 am

Lionel wrote:Piccolo lacks any kind of substantive role. How else could you describe his participation in the Super series except as having the functionality of a disposable gastropodous fleshbag who's taken advantage of to demonstrate the power of this or that character? His shining moments in the series thus far have been surpassing expectations against the debilitated leavings of the Champa arc only to be shortchanged yet again and then demonstrating the Mafuba so Trunks can mimic it. I suppose there's also his integral role in enabling Gohan to reawaken his unlocked potential, but that's working towards the aim of emboldening someone else. What personal accomplishments can Piccolo say he's had in Super?

I've said this before but if the studio and Toyotaro aren't going to provide anything meaningful to Piccolo then they shouldn't persist in having him strut about like there's some potential significance to his appearing on the scene. He's fine the way he is? I'm not sure what constitutes as "fine", but it would be better if they chose to phase him along with everyone from the old class out if nothing is going to be offered to keep them relevant. Don't beat around the bush or put Piccolo into a role that inspires prospective hope from fans for something greater. If you ask me, I think it leaves a bad impression that only certain types of characters can achieve a maintainable degree of developmental success over the course of the story. Many avenues exist through which Piccolo could regain his footing with the Saiyans, but no one with the power to do something about it seems to be concerned enough to give it a try. So what does that leave other than the occasional scraps and exploitative guinea pig roles?
Stop exageratting everything and being so negative. If 17 can get a major power boost then so can Piccolo.

It is a matter of when and not if Piccolo gets a major power boost. They will not go on ignoring him when there are new Namekians.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:37 am

He'll become a namekian god.

But the joke will be he'll still be weak as shit.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super