Piccolo Being Setup for Namekian God Transformation?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Piccolo Being Setup for Namekian God Transformation?

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:56 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Lionel wrote:There's usually been some kind of especial happenings that were set in place to allow Piccolo to grow in strength rapidly -- be that Namekian fusion or training with a Super Saiyan. It's only through the former method that he ever gained any real traction with overtaking his Saiyan competitors for a brief while. When he has relatively conventional methods to train with like in the Saiyan arc or the RoSaT, he's always playing second, third, or fourth fiddle to some other characters.

How can Piccolo be expected to follow in Golden Freeza's footsteps when he has none of the special conditions or attributes that enabled Freeza to achieve such results in the first place? Nothing about his efforts since the Buu arc indicates that he can achieve results like what the super mutants such as Freeza witnessed. It's for that reason that I believe Piccolo would be better off acquiring god ki and learning the Kaioken, or mastering this Ultra Instinct mode since it doesn't appear to be exclusive to Saiyans. I think it's either that or he retains the same meagre position he has at the moment. Alternatively, they could just stop trying to entice us with scraps of carrot and have Piccolo phased out since nothing earnest appears to be planned for him.
Toriyama should just have the Universe 6 Namekians introduce some kind of new power that Piccolo can train and get. Just like what happened between Vegeta and Cabba. It is as simple as that. It is staring Toriyama right in the face right now.
And the concept of anyone other that Goku getting Kaioken has also been staring him in the face, as is with the concept of anyone besides Goku and Vegeta training to get god ki, and the concept of acknowledging the concept of children aging.

Problem is, it just feels like Toriyama doesn't give a damn. He's just gonna keep writing Goku Goku Goku and only Goku, and sometimes if we're lucky someone else will fight for an episode once in a blue moon, but it will amount to very little or nothing in the end. It's the sad truth of Super that nothing really matters except for saiyans and merchandise sales. Am I being pessimistic? Sure, but it's better to be pessimistic and pleasantly surprised than to be optimistic and disappointed. Keep expectations for anyone who's not Goku low.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:20 am

TekTheNinja wrote:And the concept of anyone other that Goku getting Kaioken has also been staring him in the face,
This! This, so much!
And he was actually at King Kai's! Ok, yeah,only for a few days, but them knowing each other and him having access to the after-life could have always been a way to make it happen. Not to mention that his regeneration ability could've actually countered some of the physical aftereffects of that technique, so it actually makes more sense for him to have it. He doesn't need another fusion, or god transformation, or anything like that. The Kaio Ken has always been the most logical of answers. Just thinking about this upsets me :(

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:55 am

TekTheNinja wrote:
Whatever wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:Wait I just thought of something. If Piccolo fused with the universe 6 Namekians and then universe 6 was erased, what would happen? Would they just... cease from being a part of him? Weird hypothetical. :think:
They cease to exist once Piccolo assimilates them,Namekian assimilation pretty much means Piccolo eats them both body and soul and turns them into a part of his own power.
Well sure, but it's still them as part of piccolo though, so when you think about it, it makes Piccolo 2/5ths universe 6, and Zeno's erasure seems to erase EVERYTHING from the universe he's erasing, as shown with Obuni's locket, soooooooo.... 2/5ths of Piccolo's body just disappears? XD
The point is that they already stop existing as soon as Piccolo assimilates them,not much difference than Zeno erasing them.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:17 am

TekTheNinja wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Lionel wrote:There's usually been some kind of especial happenings that were set in place to allow Piccolo to grow in strength rapidly -- be that Namekian fusion or training with a Super Saiyan. It's only through the former method that he ever gained any real traction with overtaking his Saiyan competitors for a brief while. When he has relatively conventional methods to train with like in the Saiyan arc or the RoSaT, he's always playing second, third, or fourth fiddle to some other characters.

How can Piccolo be expected to follow in Golden Freeza's footsteps when he has none of the special conditions or attributes that enabled Freeza to achieve such results in the first place? Nothing about his efforts since the Buu arc indicates that he can achieve results like what the super mutants such as Freeza witnessed. It's for that reason that I believe Piccolo would be better off acquiring god ki and learning the Kaioken, or mastering this Ultra Instinct mode since it doesn't appear to be exclusive to Saiyans. I think it's either that or he retains the same meagre position he has at the moment. Alternatively, they could just stop trying to entice us with scraps of carrot and have Piccolo phased out since nothing earnest appears to be planned for him.
Toriyama should just have the Universe 6 Namekians introduce some kind of new power that Piccolo can train and get. Just like what happened between Vegeta and Cabba. It is as simple as that. It is staring Toriyama right in the face right now.
And the concept of anyone other that Goku getting Kaioken has also been staring him in the face, as is with the concept of anyone besides Goku and Vegeta training to get god ki, and the concept of acknowledging the concept of children aging.

Problem is, it just feels like Toriyama doesn't give a damn. He's just gonna keep writing Goku Goku Goku and only Goku, and sometimes if we're lucky someone else will fight for an episode once in a blue moon, but it will amount to very little or nothing in the end. It's the sad truth of Super that nothing really matters except for saiyans and merchandise sales. Am I being pessimistic? Sure, but it's better to be pessimistic and pleasantly surprised than to be optimistic and disappointed. Keep expectations for anyone who's not Goku low.
That's really what it boils down to. This show isn't just about Goku, it completely revolves around him. Because of that, almost everything is tied to him, he gets the bulk of the fights, bulk of the screentime, most characters only really seem to give a fuck about him, etc... Each DB series has had their own take of it, and they've all in their own ways handled this pretty poorly imo.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:18 am

I try to avoid spoilers as much as I can (although the preview for Kefla prolly saved me some nerd rage lol) but personally I would love for Piccolo to get a huge power up so he can be relevant fighter to the crew in power again lol

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Whatever wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
Whatever wrote: They cease to exist once Piccolo assimilates them,Namekian assimilation pretty much means Piccolo eats them both body and soul and turns them into a part of his own power.
Well sure, but it's still them as part of piccolo though, so when you think about it, it makes Piccolo 2/5ths universe 6, and Zeno's erasure seems to erase EVERYTHING from the universe he's erasing, as shown with Obuni's locket, soooooooo.... 2/5ths of Piccolo's body just disappears? XD
The point is that they already stop existing as soon as Piccolo assimilates them,not much difference than Zeno erasing them.
That doesn't seem to be true based on DBZ.
After Piccolo fused with Nail, the Z Fighters mentioned that they sensed multiple fighters.
This also happened after fusing with Kami in the Cell arc, Z fighters and I believe also Cell said that he sensed Kami/ multiple presences.

It's probably safe to assume over time they are 100% merged and there's no discerning the two, but it was never specifically stated that the other presences disappear completely from what I can remember. It's not like they're consciously there, but their 'presence' is still there, whatever that can be interpreted as.

I don't think Zeno would erase Universe 6 anyways if Piccolo was still alive and contained their fusions, but it's hard to say.

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:31 am

I've argued for Piccolo along two lines, one he's actually stronger than people think or two the U6 Namekians will show him something capable of bringing him within contention with 17, which despite still being incredibly powerful doesn't bring him up to the same level as Goku (and possibly Vegeta depending on how he develops). We've seen him outclass a high powered SSJ2 with a quick power up. What does this say about the true extent of the gains he's made after the U6 tournament? Only an all out battle with an established character will tell us how much he's grown. Either way, I think people will be surprised, if we're lucky enough to see it.

Regarding a unique ability to the U6 Namekians, Piccolo witnesses and learns, allowing him a noticeable boost in power, I think it falls in line with a fairly obvious shift in DBS to build a wider variety of characters for future inclusion in upcoming arcs.

Regarding a merger with Piccolo as host, I can't really see a situation that's so serious it requires the ultimate sacrifice of losing your individual self to create an exponentially more powerful character. Nail's provided Piccolo with a pretty substantial boost, despite being a weaker warrior in his own right, but he did it for his people and to avenge Guru. Unless a new threat comes to light, the ultimate battle is already established between Goku and Jiren. Why would they up and decide to essentially kill themselves, when the combination will do little to affect the outcome? Unless they feel they're going to be erased anyways, and Piccolo outclasses them both as a warrior, causing them to offer their power to him as part of a ritual when defeated, or with the intent of creating a Namekian warrior on par with some of the greatest warriors in the multiverse. I can't imagine a scenario where it makes sense.

I'm going to stick with my former contention that Piccolo, when we finally see him in a fight requiring his all, will demonstrate a level of power surprising most of the community. He's shown on multiple occasions he can make pretty large increases when properly motivated, and we got to see an example before the tournament. Ignoring the absurd arguments based solely on a misinterpreted attack in a 2 vs 2 friendly spar, and incredibly brief scenes showing the current battle that offer almost no indication on how the fight is progressing, at what point is the battle, have any of the characters powered up, etc, etc. I'm going to still consider the scene/dialogue purposely included as a definitive measure of Piccolo's growth as a ground point for the lowest level of his power we've seen thus far, and keep hoping for the scene where he's finally able to make good on statement he made right before fighting Frost regarding everyone assuming he's weak. I'd love, love, love to see Gohan take significant damage, motivating Piccolo to finally let loose an enormous level of power to protect and avenge the student he's raised as a martial artist and a surrogate son.

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:45 am

I used to wait for the day he finally achieved a Namekian God form, but as more and more characters came into the picture with the ability to compete or even stomp Goku/Vegeta using "God Ki", the inherent advantage of one ki over another became irrelevant long ago. If they introduce Zarama, and as people expect, he's related to the Namekians in some way, then we may see some sort of God form or ability to use God Ki. Piccolo already has an inherent ability to sense the special nature of a God or possibly their ki, which he showcased when he was supposed to fight Supreme Kai in the Budokai. He was the only one that felt the Kai was different, which is obviously a holdover from Kami's time as guardian. It's possible it will make a possible accession a little easier, given he's already a "god" or part of him is some sort of diety.