"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:44 pm

Hmm. Not sure how I feel about Freeza tbh, sounds too coarse in my opinion, my only interest in this dub has been for Freeza and can't help feel disappointed. Probably give the episode after a watch but yeah probably won't see myself watching much of this dub in the future.

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:01 pm

His frieza voice did have some problem at beginning but it settled down very well after 1-2 mins, I don't know if you watched just a clip of it or 2 entire episode before you started disliking it but DSP sounds great as frieza for me.
He isn't trying to sound like any english frieza voice so it sure does sound different but it works for frieza super well.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:52 am

Jaco's voice is serviceable but not quite as fitting as the Funimation one, in my opinion. Both are in line with the Japanese though.

Piccolo called it the "Special Beam Cannon", even in this dub. I suppose it's to keep in line with the Funi dub airings in South East Asia.

Gohan and Krillin sounded great in episodes 20 & 21, Piccolo not so much. Ray Chase's Piccolo has a good voice but he just sounds tired all the time. Wouldn't be surprised if he's phoning it in based off of his earlier comments on the role.

Not a fan of Tien's voice, it's kind of the same thing as John Burgmeier from the Funi dub – uninspired generic casting and just not very fitting.

Android 18 sounded very monotone, possibly due to bad direction. Vados in the previous episodes (same VA) sounded great.

Tagoma and DSP's Freeza got to shine here and show a lot of emotional range. After a few minutes of getting used to Freeza's voice I actually like it, it's obviously different to Ayre's, he doesn't sound as aristocratic but the performance still sounds appropriately bratty and villainous. I still prefer Ayres but so far DSP's is a nice alternative and it's a much better voice than Linda Young's version.

They censored the damage done to Gohan & Shisami.

Not much else of note. I'm not sure why both dubs decided to go with deep voices for Sorbet, to my memory his Japanese VA wasn't that deep but it works either way I guess. I do think it's a bit of a waste to use Paul St. Peter in that role but hopefully they gave him another role to voice.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:40 am

NitroEX wrote:Jaco's voice is serviceable but not quite as fitting as the Funimation one, in my opinion. Both are in line with the Japanese though.

Piccolo called it the "Special Beam Cannon", even in this dub. I suppose it's to keep in line with the Funi dub airings in South East Asia.

Gohan and Krillin sounded great in episodes 20 & 21, Piccolo not so much. Ray Chase's Piccolo has a good voice but he just sounds tired all the time. Wouldn't be surprised if he's phoning it in based off of his earlier comments on the role.

Not a fan of Tien's voice, it's kind of the same thing as John Burgmeier from the Funi dub – uninspired generic casting and just not very fitting.

Android 18 sounded very monotone, possibly due to bad direction. Vados in the previous episodes (same VA) sounded great.

Tagoma and DSP's Freeza got to shine here and show a lot of emotional range. After a few minutes of getting used to Freeza's voice I actually like it, it's obviously different to Ayre's, he doesn't sound as aristocratic but the performance still sounds appropriately bratty and villainous. I still prefer Ayres but so far DSP's is a nice alternative and it's a much better voice than Linda Young's version.

They censored the damage done to Gohan & Shisami.

Not much else of note. I'm not sure why both dubs decided to go with deep voices for Sorbet, to my memory his Japanese VA wasn't that deep but it works either way I guess. I do think it's a bit of a waste to use Paul St. Peter in that role but hopefully they gave him another role to voice.
Where and how did you manage to watch so far? I can only find up to episode 15? Could you pm me?

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:48 pm

DSP's did sound perfect on episode 22 and 23, They couldn't have casted anyone better for the role!! Now I want to see how his golden frieza variant would turn out, from what I heard on his fb video it sounded bit iffy, let's see how it turns out in actual episode!!

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:34 pm

Chris Hackney won me over in episodes 22 & 23. Wow, that guy can scream. It's a fitting voice too, not as deep as Hebert's Gohan which in my opinion is a good thing. I was never really a fan of Kyle Hebert's version so I have no problem saying that I think this is an all-around better casting choice.

Richard Epcar as Captain GInyu is a stroke of genius. The performance was only brief but he easily cemented himself as one of the best Ginyu voices. I would gladly take him over Brice Armstrong if given the choice.

Unfortunately, the censorship and editing is starting to rear its ugly head in these fights. I think part of the problem is that this is being broadcast on Cartoon Network.

ButtfaceKalinski

Post by ButtfaceKalinski » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:12 pm

Yeah the guy playing Gohan is pretty fantastic, handled the material about as well as you possibly could.

ButtfaceKalinski

Post by ButtfaceKalinski » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:56 am

I think the subject of weird sound errors came up here before, but there's some stuff floating around with people complaining about vocals or sound effects suddenly disappearing and Bang Zoom getting the blame for it. I know that with TV you don't typically see the sausage being made, and when things go wrong the wrong person inevitably takes the weight of it. I don't think these errors are happening at the source.

Every show I ever worked on has a contract with the broadcaster that has a list of deliverables. There's a bunch of considerations for American laws on volume which I've never bothered to learn much about because it's the engineer's job, but there's also range of separate mixes you have to send out which gets longer depending on whether you are doing 5.1 or not and how particular the broadcaster is. Of these there's at the very least a music and effects track and a dialogue track. The dialogue track is usually used so the broadcaster can make promos, but it's also a good insurance policy in case some bonehead lets through a word that they shouldn't have. I noticed in one of the episodes that the blue guy suddenly went silent when talking about one of the foods he ate, possibly beef which is a sensitive issue in India at the moment. There's some pretty inelegant edits going on in this show and I think it might be being handled by the broadcaster. If music and sound effects are disappearing it's vanishingly unlikely to be an issue with the final mix, and might be because whoever is doing the chopping is badly disguising a jarring jump in music as a result of editing for local broadcast standards.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:29 pm

I'm still trying to catch up on these episodes, but... HOLY CRAP.
Chris Hackney completely stole the show in episodes 22-23. That was a performance that I was not prepared for.

Also, I'm glad to see Derek Stephen Prince has improved so much from what I initially heard of his Freeza. I was a bit worried for a while there, even though I knew he would be good in the role, but the first few bits of him doing the voice didn't sound right to me. I think I do slightly prefer Ayres' take on the role, but Prince is pretty great too.

Despite the censorship being painfully bad and the dubisms still making me cringe a little, I'm really enjoying this dub. I haven't enjoyed Dragon Ball in English this much in a long time, and really hope we get more than just the first 52 episodes.
Please let us get more than just the first 52.

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:54 pm

So yeah, Bang zoom dub might have been cancelled altogether since VA of android 18 and Vados confirmed she hasn't recorded anything for DBS in past 6 months, and next arc was supposed to have more screentime for her character.
This could be end of DBS bang zoom dub. Too sad that they did this just when it was getting good and VA's were getting adjusted to characters, I was hoping to see atleast till Goku black arc.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:13 pm

If true that is unfortunate, I was looking forward to hearing how they handle the Black arc, particularly Black's voice as well as the new voice of Trunks (which I thought was already sounding better than Vale's raspy approach).

Unless the dub wasn't performing well in the ratings I suspect they might be negotiating with Toei for newer episodes. At the very least, having a break will give them a chance to take in some feedback.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:24 pm

If this dub is over, I suspect it's more a case of there not being a reason to continue forward. I imagine it was greenlit prior to Turner Asia knowing that Funimation got the series, but the two dubs essentially premiered at the same time and because of rerun breaks, Toonami Asia's run is now behind. Turner MENA is running Funimation's dub on Toonami Africa, so the Bang Zoom version doesn't appear to be any cheaper to acquire. Because the dub's produced in the US, it wouldn't fulfill any sort of local programming requirements in Asia either. Other than to provide continuity with the first 52 (which is obviously not something they care too much about since the rest of the shows air with Funimation's dub), I'm not seeing why they'd do more.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:21 pm

hulkedoutdude wrote:So yeah, Bang zoom dub might have been cancelled altogether since VA of android 18 and Vados confirmed she hasn't recorded anything for DBS in past 6 months, and next arc was supposed to have more screentime for her character.
This could be end of DBS bang zoom dub. Too sad that they did this just when it was getting good and VA's were getting adjusted to characters, I was hoping to see atleast till Goku black arc.

How many episodes have currently aired?

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:54 pm

sangofe wrote:How many episodes have currently aired?
Well, 27 in India. And (if I'm to hazard a guess) 39 in Southeast Asia.

Speaking of Southeast Asia, I'm looking at their schedule right now and they're now using the FUNimation titles for the episodes. i.e. Where Does the Dream Pick Up? Find the Super Saiyan God! instead of Where's the Rest of My Dream!? Search for the Super Saiyan God! as Bang Zoom! titled it.

The so far short-lived Bang Zoom! dub may indeed be just that.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:12 pm

The airing schedule for this dub has been so weird what with the constant re runs and channel hopping in India I wouldn't be willing to call it cancelled until there is either confirmation from Turner itself or all the channels that used to air switch over to the Funi dub. Could be dead, could just be on some weird hiatus.
Arian wrote:
Speaking of Southeast Asia, I'm looking at their schedule right now and they're now using the FUNimation titles for the episodes. i.e. Where Does the Dream Pick Up? Find the Super Saiyan God! instead of Where's the Rest of My Dream!? Search for the Super Saiyan God! as Bang Zoom! titled it.
They've been doing that for months now. I don't know why, but I don't think it has anything to do with what dub they use.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:21 pm

This whole things been a mess from a start. Was supposed to start in July, delayed 6 months then aired 2 eps a week when they clearly didn't have enough episodes then as a result what felt like an infinite loop of repeats. Not to mention the dub itself with instances like referring to Satan as that and Hercule, or weird censorship changes, like how is Roshi having gambling problems cleaner than him wanting smutty DVDs like the former is much worse, not to mention the awful scripting.

Infact mess is an understatement for this project.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:08 am

Arian wrote:
sangofe wrote:How many episodes have currently aired?
Well, 27 in India. And (if I'm to hazard a guess) 39 in Southeast Asia.

The so far short-lived Bang Zoom! dub may indeed be just that.
If my memory serves me right it's already happened that episodes that have aired with the bz dub had Funimation titles in the listings, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Cherry picking is fun, isn't it? I can't help but notice he basically just uses a tiny handful of out of context clips to make his point. I'm not gonna argue this dub is gold or anything, some of it is definitely bad, but this is far from a fair presentation.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:41 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:
Cherry picking is fun, isn't it? I can't help but notice he basically just uses a tiny handful of out of context clips to make his point. I'm not gonna argue this dub is gold or anything, some of it is definitely bad, but this is far from a fair presentation.
Yeah this was my main complaint too when watching it. I don’t know too much about that guy but I know he’s sort of a well known name in the DB YouTube community so I figured it was worth posting his opinion. But yeah he kept showing the same clips over and over which certainly made me think it wasn’t that bad if that’s all he could muster, but as he showed a few more I began to agree that it does seem like a discount funi dub.