What will be Kefura's occidental name?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

What will be Kefura's occidental name?

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:27 pm

Kale (ケ-ル,Keeru in JAP)
this is easy because its already an english word

Cauliflo in english (カリフラ,Karifura in JAP) :
her name comes from カリフラワー (Karifurawaa=Cauliflower) they took off the last part : "ワー" (waa)
then we will also take off the last part of Cauliflo"wer" which makes Cauliflo in english

and now comes the fusion name

Kaflo in english (ケフラ,Kefura in JAP) :
Kale (-ル) and Cauliflo ( カリフラ) = Kaflo in english and Kefura in JAP

Kafla and Kefla are both wrong

another example with Cabbage :
his name comes from Cabbage and it sounds like Kyabetsu in JAP, and they took off the "Tsu" part to make "Kyabe" in JAP, so it makes Cabba in english.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: What will be Kefura's occidental name?

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:49 pm

We went with "Caulifla" slightly in part to preserve a bit of the pronunciation; the "o" in "cauliflower" isn't really a long "o" sound, and spelling it with an "a" preserves that better. I don't have a problem at all if someone goes with "Cauliflo"; on a different day, we might have made the same decision.

We went with "Kale" because... well, the word is the word.

Therefore we go with "Kafla" here on Kanzenshuu.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:54 pm

I understand and tbh Kafla sounds a lot better... but in english I feel like it should be Cauliflo because it comes from "Cauliflower" but I'm still waiting for the official name.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:58 pm

BrolyKale wrote:I understand and tbh Kafla sounds a lot better... but in english I feel like it should be Cauliflo because it comes from "Cauliflower" but I'm still waiting for the official name.
I already explained how "Cauliflo" is perfectly fine, though we did not go with that.

Certain people keep mentioning "official", but... what exactly do you mean by this? So far, the only "official" spelling is the one provided in Toei's international subtitle translation scripts, and that's "Kefla". What else do you mean? A spelling in our alphabet on a piece of Bandai merchandise in Japan? FUNimation's English dub spelling? Steve Simmons' spelling in FUNimation's official subtitle translation track when the home release eventually gets there?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:03 pm

But isn't Kefla technically official, given that that is what we see in the official subtitles ?

In any case Kafla reminds me too much of Kafka, so I think I'll stick with Kefla. Not like we don't know who we'd be talking about.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:09 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:I understand and tbh Kafla sounds a lot better... but in english I feel like it should be Cauliflo because it comes from "Cauliflower" but I'm still waiting for the official name.
I already explained how "Cauliflo" is perfectly fine, though we did not go with that.

Certain people keep mentioning "official", but... what exactly do you mean by this? So far, the only "official" spelling is the one provided in Toei's international subtitle translation scripts, and that's "Kefla". What else do you mean? A spelling in our alphabet on a piece of Bandai merchandise in Japan? FUNimation's English dub spelling? Steve Simmons' spelling in FUNimation's official subtitle translation track when the home release eventually gets there?
I mean in games... In xenoverse 2 Kyabe's name is Cabba now but I remember it was "Cabbe" in the french subs before so idk which one is official.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:29 pm

If the official TOEI subs are going with Kefla, wouldn't that make it "officially" Kefla? Or at least for the Japanese version?
Michsi wrote:But isn't Kefla technically official, given that that is what we see in the official subtitles ?

In any case Kafla reminds me too much of Kafka, so I think I'll stick with Kefla. Not like we don't know who we'd be talking about.
Agreed, I keep seeing Kafka when I see Kafla.

I've heard so many different pronunciations too regardless of spelling, the most recent one being pronounced like Kay-fluh, which I guess could be what FUNi goes with since we pronounce Kale differently than the Japanese do.

Then again, FUNi kept Vegetto even though they use Kakarot and not Kakarotto, so maybe they'll stick with Kefla even though it doesn't make sense in terms of combining the words in english.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:07 pm

Then again, FUNi kept Vegetto even though they use Kakarot and not Kakarotto, so maybe they'll stick with Kefla even though it doesn't make sense in terms of combining the words in english.
Possible... Kefla is a good name too but I'm still unsure because I see Kafla, Kefla and also Kaflo now... :lol:
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Until we get an official one from Toei or Funi, I've been going with Kalefla.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:37 pm

Cabbe is way better than Cabba because it retains the pronunciation better. Geekdom continuously says Cabbah instead of Cabbeh and many others do so. Official merch in Japanese use Cabbe and Viz uses Cabbe. It’s the same reason why Karifura should be Caulifla and not Cauliflo. It’s also the same as Kefla. Kefla retains the pronunciation better than Kafla does. What’s interesting is Kaflo, a really weird spelling the Dragon Universe Wikia uses lol

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:38 pm

Chuquita wrote:Until we get an official one from Toei or Funi, I've been going with Kalefla.
Well the subtitles are official TOEI subtitles, and they go with Kefla, so I'm assuming that should be the spelling everyone should go with, but this whole thing is rather confusing.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:44 pm

Asura wrote:If the official TOEI subs are going with Kefla, wouldn't that make it "officially" Kefla? Or at least for the Japanese version?
Michsi wrote:But isn't Kefla technically official, given that that is what we see in the official subtitles ?

Agreed, I keep seeing Kafka when I see Kafla.

I've heard so many different pronunciations too regardless of spelling, the most recent one being pronounced like Kay-fluh, which I guess could be what FUNi goes with since we pronounce Kale differently than the Japanese do.

There is no need to use Kakarotto. Gokuh’s Saiyan name, Kacarrot, is a pun on the Japanese approximation for the English word carrot. Just because Vegetto uses the -to from Kakarotto doesn’t mean the spelling should automatically reflect that. The Kacarrot spelling has been used in Japanese merch for a while but they never changed the spelling for Kacarrot even though they use Vegetto. They are more aware of the puns than we are so there is no need to use Kakarotto. Toriyama never spelled Vegetto’s name so there’s no telling what he was going for. I have no idea what Kanzenshuu was thinking when they romanized his name but I’m sure they saw they looked the JP merch and ultimately went with Vegetto. I wouldn’t have been surprised if they went with Veget or Vegett, but they didn’t and went with Vegetto but still ise Kacarrot.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:45 pm

Asura wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Until we get an official one from Toei or Funi, I've been going with Kalefla.
Well the subtitles are official TOEI subtitles, and they go with Kefla, so I'm assuming that should be the spelling everyone should go with, but this whole thing is rather confusing.
Funimation used Kefla in a video title so I’m pretty sure they’re gonna go with Kefla unless they chnage it in the future.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:43 pm

Kay-flah (Kafla) works for me, but I'll accept Kehf-lah (Kefla) if necessary

Just like Vegetto instead of Vegerot

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:04 am

Meshack wrote:The Kacarrot spelling has been used in Japanese merch for a while but they never changed the spelling for Kacarrot even though they use Vegetto. They are more aware of the puns than we are so there is no need to use Kakarotto.
I can't find a single piece of merchandise with the name "Kacarrot" on it. Actually, I can't find anything at all in regards to the name. A google search only reveals a bunch of pictures with Goku as a carrot, so I'm not sure where you're getting that spelling of the name from. :lol:.

And yeah, FUNi did go with "Kefla" in the name of their video title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SLfOKwwGzg

So I guess that adds even more of an "official" status for the name if both TOEI subs and FUNi are using that spelling.

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:12 am

Whenever me and my friends refer to kale and culiflo we just call'em thing 1 and thing 2. With their fusion being thing 3.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:23 am

Asura wrote:
Meshack wrote:The Kacarrot spelling has been used in Japanese merch for a while but they never changed the spelling for Kacarrot even though they use Vegetto. They are more aware of the puns than we are so there is no need to use Kakarotto.
I can't find a single piece of merchandise with the name "Kacarrot" on it. Actually, I can't find anything at all in regards to the name. A google search only reveals a bunch of pictures with Goku as a carrot, so I'm not sure where you're getting that spelling of the name from. :lol:.

And yeah, FUNi did go with "Kefla" in the name of their video title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SLfOKwwGzg

So I guess that adds even more of an "official" status for the name if both TOEI subs and FUNi are using that spelling.
Well, I did: https://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/663024160001

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:27 am

shadowmaria wrote:Kay-flah (Kafla) works for me, but I'll accept Kehf-lah (Kefla) if necessary

Vegerot is just wrong. It doesn’t reflect the Japanese at all. Everyone should hate Vegerot

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:47 am

Meshack wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:Kay-flah (Kafla) works for me, but I'll accept Kehf-lah (Kefla) if necessary

Vegerot is just wrong. It doesn’t reflect the Japanese at all. Everyone should hate Vegerot
It's Vegetto's translated name in the manga releases

It makes sense too, I suppose. Despite how wrong we consider it over 25 years later

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:00 am

Meshack wrote:
Asura wrote:

Well, I did: https://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/663024160001
Where does that say Kacarrot? It's all in Japanese and I see カカロット which translates to "Kakarotto"