Live Action Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:26 am

Well with the whole "should he look Japanese thing" it's just that when a character is created by someone of a certain race, that character will generally - in the creator's mind - be based upon people of their own race. It seems striking that all Saiyajins have Japanese features but when they power up and their "alien nature" really comes out they get features that are normal for white people: blond hair and blue eyes.

I completely accept that he isn't Japanese per se, but it's sort of like with Superman; he's not American but isn't it a little odd how the people from Krypton all looked American and then of all places Superman could end up he ends up on Earth, in America. Similarly Goku has Japanese features and ends up being found by a man with a Japanese name, Chinese clothing and who lives in a Chinese/Japanese style house. He goes on to make friends with a Buddhist monk and to fly a cloud and use a staff with Japanese names (this is in an anime where many things have English names).

Let's say Superman was invented by an African guy. It's likely the Kryptonians (or whatever the word would be) would be black and Superman would end up crash landing somewhere in Africa. In each case he wasn't meant to even be from Earth, let alone the US or Africa, but as a created character he bears the traits of his creator(s).

On a slightly different note, I do actually picture Goku as white but that's just because I'm white so I'm putting him "in my image" as it were. I'm sure all the Asian fans of DBZ (I'm thinking more of Asians living in Asia rather than those living in North America or Europe) picture him as being Asian.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:17 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: But, I don't want Robin Shou for Goku anyway. I honestly can't think of anyone good for Goku - they need an unknown guy, no bigshot from Hollywood can do it right.
Hollywood shouldn't be touching this, period. Sure, they're welcome to invest money into it like Sony/Columbia Tri-Star has been doing for the last 8 years but they should really leave it to Asian film-makers to do the movie.

As it stands with current Asian actors in the film industry lately, Wu Jing is the perfect actor to play Son Goku. Why let a Chinese guy from the city of Harbin? Well, that's going to be the same as answering why they let Sonny Chiba play Lord Conquerer in "The Stormriders". It's cuz he's right for the right.
The world is your's.

Shenron
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shenron » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:14 pm

On a slightly different note, I do actually picture Goku as white but that's just because I'm white so I'm putting him "in my image" as it were. I'm sure all the Asian fans of DBZ (I'm thinking more of Asians living in Asia rather than those living in North America or Europe) picture him as being Asian.
Actually, I must admit I can't even imagine Goku being played by a "real" actor, period. No wonder I have some issues with the whole concept of a live action movie. Goku looks like...well, Goku. I can't even think of a white actor who would fit.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Blue+Shenron][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/Blue+Shenron.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://vanesshenron.deviantart.com/]Deviantart[/url]

mystic trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mystic trunks » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:29 pm

tinlunlau wrote:
mystic trunks wrote:
tinlunlau wrote: Robin Shou doesn't have that "family guy" look that Goku has.
I think someone younger like Wu Jing (most well known for the recent "S.P.L.") deserves the role more since he has the kid-friendly look as well as his skills in wushu taken in consideration.
I think Robin looks more like goku and he is highly trained. The guy is in phenominal shape. I think his personality fits goku well too.
But Robin Shou is gay ("bisexual" is the more technical term for Robin). Seriously, my friend's sifu worked with him many times and he tried to mack on him before. Wu Jing is more or less the better candidate to play Goku and he is also well trained in martial arts. His usual friendly look suits Goku better than Robin Shou's seriousness.
Robin Shou is not gay man. But even if he was, that would be irrelevent. And as far as Robins' seriousness, He isn't serious all the time. And also , Goku isn't giddy all the time either. When it gets down to it, Goku is all business.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:32 pm

mystic trunks wrote:
tinlunlau wrote:
mystic trunks wrote: I think Robin looks more like goku and he is highly trained. The guy is in phenominal shape. I think his personality fits goku well too.
But Robin Shou is gay ("bisexual" is the more technical term for Robin). Seriously, my friend's sifu worked with him many times and he tried to mack on him before. Wu Jing is more or less the better candidate to play Goku and he is also well trained in martial arts. His usual friendly look suits Goku better than Robin Shou's seriousness.
Robin Shou is not gay man. But even if he was, that would be irrelevent. And as far as Robins' seriousness, He isn't serious all the time. And also , Goku isn't giddy all the time either. When it gets down to it, Goku is all business.
Yes, Robin Shou is bi. I ain't saying it for the sake of calling him gay. Because the fact is, he is gay. My friend's martial arts teacher has worked with Robin many times in Hong Kong and is in close contact in the Hong Kong entertainment industry. I've heard stories about Robin Shou and I know this as a fact. I work for Fortune Star/Joy Sales and am hopefully expected to interview my friend's sifu soon for the release of "Sea Wolves" which will be coming out on DVD in the next few months in Hong Kong (as soon as all my other projects get out of the way). And believe me when I say this, word circulates.

Sure, his sexual preference is irrelevant to acting but the other thing I'm pointing out is, Robin looks too serious to play Goku. What we need is someone who can show a balance of happy-go-lucky and serious fighter. And I personally doubt Robin Shou possesses that kind of look.

Collin Chou (the guy who plays Seraph in the matrix sequels) would make a great Vegeta. I've spoken to him before. Very nice guy.
The world is your's.

mystic trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mystic trunks » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:55 pm

I can easily see this guy playing goku
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=0

ericscarface

Post by ericscarface » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:35 pm

I have been waiting for this moment my whole life. Over seven years. I will take the best looking girl in my block when the movie gets released.

Why are people angry, is it because its filmed in canada?

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:47 pm

Because... "Goku is uncool and unpopular at school", "high ninjas of the Namek-jin", Etc. Though.. it can work if done right. Will it? Only time will tell..
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

mystic trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mystic trunks » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:16 pm

caejones wrote:Because... "Goku is uncool and unpopular at school", "high ninjas of the Namek-jin", Etc. Though.. it can work if done right. Will it? Only time will tell..
Yeah, that kinda seemed weird to me.

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:54 pm

There's a mock movie poster I saw on 4chan a few times and it actually had Eric Bana as Goku; I have to say, it actually sort of worked. I'm not even considering for a second that he should play Goku but it's interesting how certain people work when you see them "in costume" (in this case, "in Photoshopped costume").

Vegeta was represented by Christian Bale and that also went well and I do actually think it would work in reality as well. He has the aloofness and arrogance but then he could do the softer side of Vegeta as well.

That said, I don't think any well-known actors should play any of the roles in this sort of film. Lord of the Rings got it quite right - I hadn't actually seen Elijah Wood in any other films at that point, though I knew of him, and I'd only seen Ian McKellen in X-men though I knew that he was well respected, long time actor. The only two characters that were sort of ruined by the familiarity of the actors playing them were Elrond and Arwen. I could only see Agent Smith and "the daughter of the lead singer of Aerosmith and the woman from Armageddon". Maybe it was their lack of screen time, maybe it was their fairly simple characters but those two remained totally unconvincing to me whereas I never looked at Gandalf and thought "oh look, it's Magneto"... Probably the beard.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:09 pm

Teclo wrote:That said, I don't think any well-known actors should play any of the roles in this sort of film.

I don't know , I've always thought Ray Park would be perfect as Vegeta.

ericscarface

Post by ericscarface » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:37 pm

caejones wrote:Because... "Goku is uncool and unpopular at school", "high ninjas of the Namek-jin", Etc. Though.. it can work if done right. Will it? Only time will tell..
I'm sorry but am i missing something?? Did this come from an article?

mystic trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mystic trunks » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:38 pm

SSJmole wrote:
Teclo wrote:That said, I don't think any well-known actors should play any of the roles in this sort of film.

I don't know , I've always thought Ray Park would be perfect as Vegeta.
Uh... No!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:20 am

I dunno, I have to agree with SSJmole - I'd prefer Hugh Jackman for Vegeta, but Ray Park would do very good too.

For Piccolo, I'm thinking Vin Diesel, but not certain - he can act it, but can he look it is my only concern. He may be a bit too stout for Piccolo. :?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:21 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:For Piccolo, I'm thinking Vin Diesel, but not certain - he can act it, but can he look it is my only concern. He may be a bit too stout for Piccolo. :?
NEVER :evil:. Can that man articulate at all?

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:25 am

Here's to hopeful dreaming that Donnie Yen will either starr, or be included in the development of this film. He'd be a perfect fit for Vegeta, screw Jet Li, lol.

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:03 am

Snail wrote:Here's to hopeful dreaming that Donnie Yen will either starr, or be included in the development of this film. He'd be a perfect fit for Vegeta, screw Jet Li, lol.
But like I said there is no Vegeta in this time period. Plus the cast'll probably be made up of people like Ben Stiller.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:18 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:For Piccolo, I'm thinking Vin Diesel, but not certain -
That is such a huge insult to Piccolo that I think Kami-sama's palace just tilted. :cry:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:30 am

ericscarface wrote:
I'm sorry but am i missing something?? Did this come from an article?
Yeah, scroll down some on the main page. It's alright, it brought me to tears, too.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:59 am

Snail wrote:Here's to hopeful dreaming that Donnie Yen will either starr, or be included in the development of this film. He'd be a perfect fit for Vegeta, screw Jet Li, lol.
Actually, come to think of it, Donnie Yen would make a good Vegeta too. He is known to have an arrogant attitude because he knows he's a badass. You should see how he flaunts his arrogance in his training videos in the recent actioner "Flashpoint".
The world is your's.