Are Caulifa and Kale popular characters? What is the general consensus?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Torturephile
Regular

Re: Are Caulifa and Kale popular characters? What is the general consensus?

Post by Torturephile » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:42 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Here's an awesome review on Kale and Caulifla by the highly respectable Laughingstock Media. It seems even HE dislikes the way they are portrayed by Toei, and he backs it up with MANY good points.
https://youtu.be/PKG4I4rde3M
There's also one by PlagueOfGripes a.k.a. "Japan Doesn't Like Tien" guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwGKF8_RO28
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:27 am

Asura wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Asura wrote:

I'd agree with you had you made this post a couple months ago, but luckily TOEI got that stupid shit out of their systems and made Kale into her own likeable character now, so I don't think in the future people will be hating her as a Broly clone, especially since she lost the Broly form.

I also don't really see Kale as a Mary Sue. I can understand the arguments for Caulifla being one but not really Kale.
How has Kale become more likable at all? Being less annoying doesn't mean you've suddenly done something to make people like you. It just means you're annoying them slightly less.

Also why do people need facts to dislike a character? It's all taste...its like saying someone is wrong for not liking ketchup.

Caulifla I don't dislike honestly. I wish she grew slower but oh well.
Being less unlikeable means you've become more likeable, but that's way oversimplifying her character. She's gone from a boring, shy, trope of a character mashed in with Broly references, and now has become her own character who believes in herself and is willing to fight. She's had a lot of positive character development, thus making her likeable.

I dunno what you mean by people needing facts to dislike a character, I never brought up anything like that in my post.
Sorry the second part wasn't at you but the thread in general. I just mean we can't tell people why they should or shouldn't like something.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:22 am

They got cool transformations and i love the homage to Broly.

Melab

Post by Melab » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:27 pm

YonedgeHP wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
RedHeat wrote:I'm pretty sure the writters fully intend for them to be homosexual but they can't bring it fully into fruition because the show is aimed at kids and all. (Not to say there's anything overly sexual about them being in a relationship, but that moment with the cat and bird girl from U2 is the closest we'll ever get.)
There are two blatantly homosexual characters in the series. The writers just intend them to be friends.
One of them is if I am not mistaken pedophile, so...
What?

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:55 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Here's an awesome review on Kale and Caulifla by the highly respectable Laughingstock Media. It seems even HE dislikes the way they are portrayed by Toei, and he backs it up with MANY good points.
https://youtu.be/PKG4I4rde3M
Is this guy as highly respected as the last guy you posted who had 200 views on his video?

Cabba is much more interesting than Kale and Caulifla? Really? I can understand not liking Kale and Caulifla but saying Cabba is much more interesting is laughable because there's almost nothing interesting about Cabba because the show has almost never cared about him.

He complains about Kale and Caulifla getting SSJ in minutes, yet Cabba also did the exact same thing against Vegeta but apparently he has no issue with that. There's only so many times you can have the "SSJ activated by rage" scene over and over with different characters. They had the right idea to go in a different direction to get SSJ with the back tingle, but it was explained and shown very poorly which is the problem.

Kale clearly isn't and never was a threat to SSB Goku given that he manhandled her (and Caulifla at the same time) in only SSG. An exhausted SSG Goku at that.

"Caulifla, who is strong because of the plot and spits on the legacy and struggles of every Saiyan we've seen prior..." - Oh how we conveniently ignore Goten & Trunks. Well that's okay, Super ignores them too so sometimes they're hard to remember.

"Every episode they're in is ruined in nearly every scene they're in, and these two above all others have the ability to take a great episode filled with fun fights or cool scenes and instantly make it groan worthy. They're a walking, talking symbol for the fast forward button or a billboard which tells me to skip episodes altogether" - Ok sure, have fun skipping 114, what a terrible episode that was am I right? May as well skip 116 too since Kefla is technically Kale and Caulifla, and boy what a shitty fight that was between UI Goku and Kefla right? Groan worthy stuff.

I feel like all of these opinions you've linked so far come from people who either don't have a clue what they're talking about or are hypocritical in their talking points to conveniently ignore all the bullshit other characters have pulled in the past simply to narrow in on Kale and Caulifla's bullshit, as if they're the only ones who have done this sort of stuff in the franchise before.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:03 pm

Caulifa and Kale are fine, they're easily two of the most memorable new characters this arc has given us. Kale was bad as a Broly parody in her first two major episodes but after that she's developed nicely. Now she's just a Saiyan girl with green hair, she doesn't even resemble Broly much anymore when she's transformed.

Caulifa is everything people should have expected or wanted out of a female Saiyan personality wise. I don't know what else people thought.

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Melab wrote:
YonedgeHP wrote:
Doctor. wrote: There are two blatantly homosexual characters in the series. The writers just intend them to be friends.
One of them is if I am not mistaken pedophile, so...
What?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYUWqKcTF6I
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Now that we are done with the Caulifla and Kale saga, now I can say Kale is a borderline good character. Her apologizing to her superiors was another sign of development of hers. Shame she had a terrible start as a distaff counterpart to Broly. I recall hating her back in episode 100, which I explained in page 2 of this thread.
precita wrote:Caulifa and Kale are fine, they're easily two of the most memorable new characters this arc has given us.
That's the case for sure given the ridiculous amount of focus they have been given.
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The duality of man.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:15 pm

Are people really surprised at how much focus they were given though?

They're Saiyans, and female ones at that. The first female Saiyans, and first female Super Saiyans. Did anyone really think they wouldn't be spending a shitload of time focusing on the brand new female Super Saiyans?

They were basically the only characters from other universes that we actually got to explore a bit before the tournament started as well.

I feel like if Goten & Trunks were still actual important characters that got screen time then the complaints about Kale and Caulifla's power-ups wouldn't be as complained about since you have the little tikes who can go SSJ3 on the screen next to them and put in the same amount of effort, if not even less, to achieve those Super Saiyan forms.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Asura wrote:Are people really surprised at how much focus they were given though?

They're Saiyans, and female ones at that. The first female Saiyans, and first female Super Saiyans. Did anyone really think they wouldn't be spending a shitload of time focusing on the brand new female Super Saiyans?

They were basically the only characters from other universes that we actually got to explore a bit before the tournament started as well.

I feel like if Goten & Trunks were still actual important characters that got screen time then the complaints about Kale and Caulifla's power-ups wouldn't be as complained about since you have the little tikes who can go SSJ3 on the screen next to them and put in the same amount of effort, if not even less, to achieve those Super Saiyan forms.
It was something to be expected, and I myself wanted it during their first appearance. I think they were focused on a bit much, yes, but that's because it came at the expense of other characters' spotlight, specially since they got probably the longest fight in Super yet, and that's not even counting the one they got before it.
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
The duality of man.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:01 pm

Yeah it was obvious the moment Caulifa and Kale were revealed even before the tournament started that they would get a ton of focus. I'm not sure what people expected.

There actually aren't any other breakout characters in the TOP, even Jiren/Toppo/Dyspo haven't gotten any real character focus, maybe a little for Toppo and that's it. Besides that we just have Ribrianne and she's been used for comic relief and fodder so far.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:30 pm

At this point, they share with Cabba my only complaint of "modern Toriyama noodle limbs", and that one complaint is resolved once Kale powers up and when Kalefla goes ssj2.

I prefer the thicker limbs that both female and male saiyans had in Z.

Caulifla I liked all the way through, Kale I grew to like as her personality evolved, Kalefla had cool attacks even though her personality wasn't balanced enough between the two for me.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Chuquita wrote:At this point, they share with Cabba my only complaint of "modern Toriyama noodle limbs", and that one complaint is resolved once Kale powers up and when Kalefla goes ssj2.

Caulifla I liked all the way through, Kale I grew to like as her personality evolved, Kalefla had cool attacks even though her personality wasn't balanced enough between the two for me.
I honestly don't mind the noodle limbs that much, it helps distinguish them more from their Universe 7 counterparts. Also, I don't know why but I don't notice the noodle limbs in Kale as much as Cabba and Caulifla.

Could be worse though, they could be One Piece noodle limbs.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:02 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
Chuquita wrote:At this point, they share with Cabba my only complaint of "modern Toriyama noodle limbs", and that one complaint is resolved once Kale powers up and when Kalefla goes ssj2.

I honestly don't mind the noodle limbs that much, it helps distinguish them more from their Universe 7 counterparts. Also, I don't know why but I don't notice the noodle limbs in Kale as much as Cabba and Caulifla.

Could be worse though, they could be One Piece noodle limbs.
Kale's got a stronger body build and I like that for her character.

I think if we saw more Uni 6 saiyans or learned how old the trio is it would be easier.

I agree at least it's not OP levels of noodle limbs. I like OP, but I totally get how Oda's art doesn't have the same appeal other series do.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

snpaa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by snpaa » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:53 pm

Torturephile wrote:Now that we are done with the Caulifla and Kale saga, now I can say Kale is a borderline good character. Her apologizing to her superiors was another sign of development of hers. Shame she had a terrible start as a distaff counterpart to Broly. I recall hating her back in episode 100, which I explained in page 2 of this thread.
precita wrote:Caulifa and Kale are fine, they're easily two of the most memorable new characters this arc has given us.
That's the case for sure given the ridiculous amount of focus they have been given.

what development, reserved timid people usually apologize a lot , now if she was cocky and unapologetic like caulifla then she becomes apolagetic I could see that being considered development.

Rebel_Yeh
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Rebel_Yeh » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:22 am

I figure I might provide some additions relevant to this discussion. Someone did a Reddit survey for the most wanted characters as season 2 dlc for DBFZ which ended up getting 4,099 responses. According to the results, Caulifla was one of the top 16 most wanted characters (52% wanted her, 22.9% didn’t want her, 22.5% were ambivalent about her). As for Kale, she was more polarizing (37% wanted her, 35% didn’t want her, and 24% were ambivalent about her). The fusion of the characters, Kefla, was the number 2 most wanted character (73% wanted her, 11% didn’t want her, and 12% were ambivalent about her):

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonballfigh ... _the_dbfz/

If we take out international audiences and just stick with Japan, the characters have a mostly positive reception there but Kale’s seemingly homosexual attraction to Caulifla is an issue for some. The comments on Japanese YouTube videos are especially indicative of these attitudes (Google Translate is your friend, but you’ll need to copy and paste the comments into the translation text box):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26WF4d8EhB8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvHvDS7VIm0

So this should give you a good indication of the general consensus on Kale and Caulifla (and their fusion). GodVegetto91 provided some YouTube videos reviewing these characters: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40229&p=1409398&hilit=#p1409398
But these videos are just of TWO reviews, yet he claimed it was the consensus on the characters (I smell a sexist, lol). If you want the REAL consensus on Kale and Caulifla, I have provided sources. Hope this helps.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:28 am

YonedgeHP wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:43 pm
Melab wrote:
YonedgeHP wrote: One of them is if I am not mistaken pedophile, so...
What?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYUWqKcTF6I
I must interject by saying that this is a an anime-exclusive scene (thank GOD).
It is honestly sickening how the execs thought this was "SAFE".
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:44 pm

I prefer them as Kefla.....individually they are kinda meh

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:17 pm

Yes, Caulifla and Kale are popular, they have always been popular, and they will always be popular. Just listen to the audience's reaction to Kefla's reveal trailer for Fighterz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY_iXxhidUc

The internet is a very tiny, vocal minority. Never forget that. While on the internet it might seem like "a lot of people" hate them, real life shows quite a different picture.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:55 pm

I really like them, so there's that. Caulifla can be a little annoying, but that's just how it goes with being essentially a genderbended Goku.

Her pairing with Kale is gold and I wished that the manga gave them more screentime.

Also Kefla is a kickass ace in the sleeve, which works because she's not as strong as Vegito and Gogeta so she can be a viable option and not necessarily break tension.