Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by HeroR » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:56 pm

JazzMazz wrote: I don't think anyone said this was going to have the worst staff on Super. People presumed it would be a solo episode, and it was for the most part. The scene that everyones been talking about, 18 eliminating Ribrianne, was unexpectedly handled by the probably the best animator working at Toei.

The direction was solid enough, everything flowed coherently as is usually expected from that director, and the solo animator for the episode delivered a lot of polished work.
You haven't been to Gaf Discord. The amount of bitching about the staff reached new level of crazy.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:56 pm

Well I'm not the biggest Ribrianne fan, I expected her final stand to have more of an impact. I kept saying the reason she kept surviving was because TOEI had something big planned for her. It just didn't make any sense for her to escape the other 12 times she could've got ringed out. Guess I was wrong. If this is all she has, she could've been eliminated episodes ago because she certainly got enough screen time. Turns out she was ALL gag. I think she eliminated one person. She went from matching 17 to SSJ Vegeta to Base Goku to Base Vegeta to powering up enough to be cracked into pieces by 18. As someone who didn't like the character, the writers could've thrown her a bone.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:58 pm

The gr wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Snip
This is pretty much my opinion on the episode,I liked it not the Best but enjoyable with #18 being written well, good animation coupled with awesome team up, there some problem I had.
    -While I liked ribrianne showing some positive trait with looking at true love,she was just a pointless and quite frankly annoying,she long overstayed her welcome, I'm glad she got out with a bang.
      -At first I liked katoplesla now he is just a punching bag for everyone, sounds familiar right which move on to my other point.
        -This is the waiting line for u7 to get rid of everyone, everyone just feel pointless making this arc dull,it doesn't help the big bad have no compelling rivalry with Goku.Other than that this episode was good oh and I nearly died when Vegeta failed at UI.
        Chuquita wrote:Maybe things will go differently for Ribrianne in the manga? Or maybe it was just a case of Shueisha overpromoting. I feel like that's happened with them before.
        She will probably go out when she first transformed with her friends.
        The animation in this arc is really what's saving it for me. There's not enough meat in the execution of this tournament for me and it definitely didn't help coming off the plot high that was the first 3/4ths of the Goku Black arc imo. All I can do is hope the next arc has more in the way of plot to it or at least isn't another tournament.

Depending on how the manga's pacing goes I could see them abridging Ribrianne's role so that instead of fits and starts her battle against 17 and 18 is one uninterrupted fight.
        My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
        ---
        フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JazzMazz
        I Live Here
        Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:59 pm

HeroR wrote:
        JazzMazz wrote: I don't think anyone said this was going to have the worst staff on Super. People presumed it would be a solo episode, and it was for the most part. The scene that everyones been talking about, 18 eliminating Ribrianne, was unexpectedly handled by the probably the best animator working at Toei.

The direction was solid enough, everything flowed coherently as is usually expected from that director, and the solo animator for the episode delivered a lot of polished work.
        You haven't been to Gaf Discord. The amount of bitching about the staff reached new level of crazy.
        Could you send me an invite to that discord? :D

CJStriker_CBR
        I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:04 pm

TysonWine wrote:Well I'm not the biggest Ribrianne fan, I expected her final stand to have more of an impact. I kept saying the reason she kept surviving was because TOEI had something big planned for her. It just didn't make any sense for her to escape the other 12 times she could've got ringed out. Guess I was wrong. If this is all she has, she could've been eliminated episodes ago because she certainly got enough screen time. Turns out she was ALL gag. I think she eliminated one person. She went from matching 17 to SSJ Vegeta to Base Goku to Base Vegeta to powering up enough to be cracked into pieces by 18. As someone who didn't like the character, the writers could've thrown her a bone.
        Her character was allot better and getting built up well then most like to give to Ribrianne's Character.

It seemed finally toei was going to pay it off to her fans with this episode but they Copped-Out in the end.

For many the story and built-up was good, buy maybe the writing was on the wall not just for her but for many of the universes sometime ago. U7 is just dominated everyone and Toei is just lazer focused on them, I fear now for U3 and U4's showing.

Their is allot we loved about Brianne in this, I give allot to 17 and 18 for a good showing, but Toei let down the build-up for whatever reason for Brianne they put so much time into, just strange.

I hope for better in the future if Toei is serious about any of the Universes after all this is over.
        --- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
        Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
        Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
        My #1 in DB!
        :thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
        http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

HeroR
        Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:06 pm

JazzMazz wrote: Could you send me an invite to that discord? :D
        Sure:

https://discord.gg/ue3Q4cY
        Kanassa wrote:
        Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

FortuneSSJ
        Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:06 pm

Bad episode! Definitely one of my least favourite ToP episodes.
        I only liked Zeno's funny scene and Ribrianne's character development in the end.

Things I didn't like:

- Goku just unlocked Ultra Instinct and Vegeta is already obsessed to get it too. Why this guy just can't find something new for a change?! That's why I'm glad Toei brought back the Kaioken, because this kind of writing where the rival can do everything the main character does is boring and Kaioken is something Vegeta won't get.

- Rozie being eliminated is okay but Ribrianne, the U2 trump arc advertised along with Universe 6, Universe 7 and Universe 11 big guns, going out without eliminate someone major is bullshit. Another wasted non U7 character just like Nigrisshi, Ganos and Murichim.

- Looks like Katopesla role is the same than Ribrianne - Fight a lot of characters, show some cool stuff but don't defeat anyone.

- Goku just had an amazing fight with Caulifla/Kale/Kefla, but looks like even "tired" he will still defeat 3 U2 fighters...

Looks like another Universe is about to be erased, if not U2 and U6 at the same time, but I'm just waiting for Universe 7 to lose another fighter.
        Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
        A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JazzMazz
        I Live Here
        Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:08 pm

HeroR wrote:
        Sure:

It says the invite is invalid or has expired for some reason.

CJStriker_CBR
        I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:10 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Bad episode! Definitely one of my least favourite ToP episodes.
        I only liked Zeno's funny scene and Ribrianne's character development in the end.

Things I didn't like:

- Goku just unlocked Ultra Instinct and Vegeta is already obsessed to get it too. Why this guy just can't find something new for a change?! That's why I'm glad Toei brought back the Kaioke, because this kind of writing where the rival can do everything the main character does is boring and Kaioken is something Vegeta won't get.

- Rozie being eliminated is okay but Ribrianne, the U2 trump arc advertised along with Universe 6, Universe 7 and Universe 11 big guns, going out without eliminate someone major is bullshit. Another wasted non U7 character just like Nigrisshi, Ganos and Murichim.

- Looks like Katopesla role is the same than Ribrianne - Fight a lot of characters, show some cool stuff but don't defeat anyone.

- Goku just had an amazing fight with Caulifla/Kale/Kefla, but looks like even "tired" he will still defeat 3 U2 fighters...

Looks like another Universe is about to be erased, if not U2 and U6 at the same time, but I'm just waiting for Universe 7 to lose another fighter.
        I agree with allot of this Well Said FortuneSSJ!

Brianne Deserved better but I as you said a I liked her character development and still love her character, she was a class act at the end.
        --- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
        Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
        Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
        My #1 in DB!
        :thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
        http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

HeroR
        Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:13 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
        HeroR wrote:
        Sure:

It says the invite is invalid or has expired for some reason.
        Oh, let me see if I can get a new code.
        Kanassa wrote:

Jigurashi
        Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:13 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Bad episode! Definitely one of my least favourite ToP episodes.

Things I didn't like:

- Goku just unlocked Ultra Instinct and Vegeta is already obsessed to get it too. Why this guy just can't find something new for a change?! That's why I'm glad Toei brought back the Kaioken, because this kind of writing where the rival can do everything the main character does is boring and Kaioken is something Vegeta won't get.

Probably because Vegeta (like Goku) has been training for UI as well. It makes perfect sense why he'd want it.
        [spoiler]Wasn't it said that he eliminates them but Freeza is like about to torture them or something?[/spoiler]

Zagacious
        Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:14 pm

This episode pretty much confirmed for me they are not going to make good use of any of the remaining characters. It's just going to be a long grind of meaningless spars and such until we get to Jiren. i predicted this a long time ago but i'm actually incredibly surprised and disappointed they misused the characters this badly. As someone else said this means Ribrianne is probably around Cell's level of power if 18 can defeat her that easily, while she's injured nonetheless, and it was an effortless victory for 18. Ribrianne transforms and then is eliminated like 10 seconds later, there's not much else to say except what a waste from the character that was hyped sparring SSB Vegeta in the intro long ago.

JazzMazz
        I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:18 pm

Zagacious wrote:This episode pretty much confirmed for me they are not going to make good use of any of the remaining characters. It's just going to be a long grind of meaningless spars and such until we get to Jiren. i predicted this a long time ago but i'm actually incredibly surprised and disappointed they misused the characters this badly. Ribrianne transforms and then is eliminated like 10 seconds later, there's not much else to say except what a waste from the character that was hyped sparring SSB Vegeta in the intro long ago.
        When the hell was that ever hyped up. The max we saw Ribrianne fight was Super Saiyans.

Zagacious
        Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:20 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
        Zagacious wrote:This episode pretty much confirmed for me they are not going to make good use of any of the remaining characters. It's just going to be a long grind of meaningless spars and such until we get to Jiren. i predicted this a long time ago but i'm actually incredibly surprised and disappointed they misused the characters this badly. Ribrianne transforms and then is eliminated like 10 seconds later, there's not much else to say except what a waste from the character that was hyped sparring SSB Vegeta in the intro long ago.
        When the hell was that ever hyped up. The max we saw Ribrianne fight was Super Saiyans.
        The intro for many episodes during the beginning of the tournament. I know it's just an intro, but they're just asking for it to put something like that and make the character incredibly weak and ultimately accomplished nothing. Even if that wasn't there it's still an incredible waste of a character. They could have at least made her SSG level. The power she's shown to have now, she wouldn't even be able to make a scratch on base Vegeta.
        Last edited by Zagacious on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MainJPW
        Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:21 pm

What a beautiful sight.

Kaiosama
        Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:24 pm

MainJPW wrote:What a beautiful sight.

Perfection... Lol at all of the idiots that thought he was getting UI or any original power-up. :lol:

Zagacious
        Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:25 pm

Kaiosama wrote:

Perfection... Lol at all of the idiots that thought he was getting UI or any original power-up. :lol:
        Yeah it's hilarious how we expect other characters besides Goku and Jiren to actually matter, we should know better by now with this writing.

precita
        Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:26 pm

HeroR wrote:

Link? I've been reading the Dragonball thread on ResetEra and while there's some complaining it's not that bad.

irreality
        OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:27 pm

I know I don't comment much these days, but I remember back when Ribrianne was fighting Goku I made the comment that Ribrianne's storyline is weird because for all that talk of love, she doesn't seem to understand what love *is*. I hoped they were going somewhere with that, and they did! Ribrianne was defeated by someone who knows and understands true love -- for her family, for her husband, and her child. 18's relationships are true love, that isn't superficial or showy, and that wins out at the end of the day. And that is the lesson Brianne needed to learn -- she is still young and doesn't really understand love, beyond the friendships she has.

I'm glad that character had that arc, and it made 18 really shine in this tournament by having her defeat a built-up character instead of just fodder. I know a lot of people hate ribrianne, but I thoroughly enjoyed this part of the arc and its payoff. Made my fave look good and the story went where I thought it would. Not to mention all the callouts and subversions of the magical girl theme (having the magical girl become *less* stereotypically attractive, having her have an Akira/Tetsuo type transformation, having her not win the day...) In general I liked it a lot.

Kaiosama
        Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:28 pm

Zagacious wrote:
        Kaiosama wrote:

Yeah it's hilarious how we expect other characters besides Goku and Jiren to actually matter in any way.
        You must not understand how this show works. Vegeta's purpose is to chase Goku's shadow and clearly this was a gag scene by the writers making fun of his arrogance. This isn't Saskue and Naruto. This is more like Renji and Ichigo. Vegeta has nothing unique to him and never will since he's not as talented as Goku.
        Last edited by Kaiosama on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.