Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Basaku » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:34 am

Kanassa wrote:That new filter the TOP arc introduced makes it real weird to look at old episodes of Super. :D
True, but I'm really glad they did it (along with line effects). The show now looks modern yet classical at the same time, a good direction for new DB series to go for. Even episodes with considerably weaker animation benefit from these simple consistient filters/effects.

Adding to the thread - not sure if I haven't mentioned it already but why, just why, didn't Shueisha have Toyatoro finish few more pages of F manga saga and release it as part of the Super volumes... Particularly after TOP arc it will always feel incomplete...

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:58 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:It's not deep Voice by normal standard but FOR Gokū the voice is too deep. Even Lex Lang whom they criticize for deep voice doesn't deepens it or makes it as much Gruff as Sean does.
Sean's tries to focus on badassery, Macho-ness, Manliness and in serious situation it may even sound like a generic Hollywood movie hero and not goku at all but his Goofy part sounds forced when he tries to make the voice as high as possible, Kelamis and Corlett managed to sound natural for both serious and goofy goku and we didn't see any gruff tone that we see in Sean's goku, even Nozawa's voice only deepens to a point but still it feels like goku in ssj3 not the same can be said for Sean. I can't see how Milton James sounds like Ryo Horikawa.
A guy who frequents this forum thinks he does. I don't hear it. Brian Drummond is the one that sounds the closest to Horikawa.
Yes i have noticed this as well, if Drummond tries he can sound a lot like Horikawa.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:16 pm

Yeah, it's about the fandom again but I hate that Tenshinhan's best friend is insisted to be spelt "Chaozu" when the Chiaotzu spelling makes MORE sense because it's intended to be a Chinese name. Especially since the same people will generally (correctly) lambast Funi for spelling the dragon's name "Shenron" when "Chaozu" is the SAME EXACT principle - using a Japanese transliteration of a Chinese word parsed then to English. Of course "Chiaotzu" is a Wade-Giles spelling, in a perfect world it'd be "Jiaozi" like in the Polish manga translation. Herms actually went over this a couple of times.
Do whatever you like, ghost.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:28 am

Tbh, when people get heated about spelling. I can understand getting annoyed but Hero/Shen and most of Bardocks crew, cause that can be confusing. But I dunno, getting annoyed by Freeza? Eh. Don't get me wrong, I prefer Freeza, but no one should really have a problem with Freeza. It's just a name people.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:18 am

people who look at og dragon ball as a prequel rather the starting point of the series .
My English is poor .

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:52 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:people who look at og dragon ball as a prequel rather the starting point of the series .
This also boils my piss, I think I posted this here as well. Because of people ignoring the beginning of the series they are also unable to get the proper evolution of Nozawa's Goku voice and then claiming it's unfitting for the character.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:10 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
Hyena_Yamcha wrote:people who look at og dragon ball as a prequel rather the starting point of the series .
This also boils my piss, I think I posted this here as well. Because of people ignoring the beginning of the series they are also unable to get the proper evolution of Nozawa's Goku voice and then claiming it's unfitting for the character.
agreed. that's why 99% of fans who did watch Dragon Ball to Dragon Ball Z in Japanese don't even complain about Goku voice in fact they love it.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

ProtoTrunks76

Post by ProtoTrunks76 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:45 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
agreed. that's why 99% of fans who did watch Dragon Ball to Dragon Ball Z in Japanese don't even complain about Goku voice in fact they love it.
I guess the thousands of people I talk to who have done exactly that, and still like the dub are the 1%, then
Don't use Formula 1 Race-cars to chase Deadly Androids

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:07 am

ProtoTrunks76 wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: This also boils my piss, I think I posted this here as well. Because of people ignoring the beginning of the series they are also unable to get the proper evolution of Nozawa's Goku voice and then claiming it's unfitting for the character.
I guess the thousands of people I talk to who have done exactly that, and still like the dub are the 1%, then
Yes that maybe the case because Dragon Ball has a huge fanbase all round the world besides you don't even know whether they have watched or not.

ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjjanemba » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:34 pm

Dragon Ball fans attacking Akira Toriyama for not giving them what they want.
Hi

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:37 pm

ssjjanemba wrote:Dragon Ball fans attacking Akira Toriyama for not giving them what they want.
Has he ever been "attacked?" I doubt that considering he's pretty private. Criticizing an author isn't attacking them.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:51 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
ssjjanemba wrote:Dragon Ball fans attacking Akira Toriyama for not giving them what they want.
Has he ever been "attacked?" I doubt that considering he's pretty private. Criticizing an author isn't attacking them.
Sad thing is, we know it would totally happen if he ever decided to get twitter account or something like that. Think of how many creators got driven off social media because of pushy fans.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:57 pm

Michsi wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Sad thing is, we know it would totally happen if he ever decided to get twitter account or something like that. Think of how many creators got driven off social media because of pushy fans.
I also find that mentality annoying. How does anyone know what "the fans" want? Are they all of the same mindset? What about giving the fans what they don't know they want?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:11 pm

ABED wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
I also find that mentality annoying. How does anyone know what "the fans" want? Are they all of the same mindset? What about giving the fans what they don't know they want?
"The fans want" is ultimately an excuse. Most just want to get their way and somehow think their opinions and tastes are synonymous with "good writing". Not saying creators never deserve to be chastised, because they can make serious mistakes at times, but more often then not I see them getting raked over the coal simply for not giving fans the ship they wanted or something like that.

ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjjanemba » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
He hasn't been attacked directly. I remember when Revival of F came out, there were a couple people insulting Akira on this forum because the movie didn't give them what they wanted. Even though people did not like the movie, there was no reason to insult Akira.
Hi

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:56 pm

Michsi wrote:
ABED wrote:
Michsi wrote:
"The fans want" is ultimately an excuse. Most just want to get their way and somehow think their opinions and tastes are synonymous with "good writing". Not saying creators never deserve to be chastised, because they can make serious mistakes at times, but more often then not I see them getting raked over the coal simply for not giving fans the ship they wanted or something like that.
If they give a group of fans what they want, it's either pandering or those fans aren't "true fans" or some other excuse, but if the group they belong to, then it's good writing.

I enjoy good romance in stories, but I'm glad DB doesn't lean into that.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:12 pm

ABED wrote:
Michsi wrote:
ABED wrote:I also find that mentality annoying. How does anyone know what "the fans" want? Are they all of the same mindset? What about giving the fans what they don't know they want?
If they give a group of fans what they want, it's either pandering or those fans aren't "true fans" or some other excuse, but if the group they belong to, then it's good writing.

I enjoy good romance in stories, but I'm glad DB doesn't lean into that.
You can't please everyone, but I don't think you should ever write with "pandering" in mind. In any case, fandoms can be a nightmare.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:31 pm

You can't please everyone, but I don't think you should ever write with "pandering" in mind.
Neither do I, but the point i was making is analogous to "that critic doesn't know what he's talking about" when you disagree, but "that critic is a genius" when they do agree.

I do agree that you can't please everyone, hence why referring to "the fans" as though they all hold the same opinion is asinine.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:41 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
There's a difference between criticising and insulting
My English is poor .

Ariesx222

Post by Ariesx222 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:20 am

Gohan's monologue in the English DB of DBZ right before he unleases his power and turns into SSJ2.

Always bugged me.