Super Episode 118 (3 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 118 (3 December 2017)

Post by Saturnine » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:39 pm

Yeah, this episode was something else alright.
- The Namekian legion scene as well as showing Nail and Kami felt really mystical and yet badass at the same time
- Vados forever a sassy bitch. Well, at least now we're going to have her in camp U7, gonna be interesting.
- Really sad to see both U2 and U6 go. I wonder if all of them will get brought back by the Super DBs.
- After U4 is dealt with (likely next episode), the only real remaining obstacle for U7 will be U10. I do hope U10 does knock out some U3 members, so that not all the spotlight goes to U7.

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:40 pm

Goofy, fun, and entertaining.

Good episode
Bullza wrote:That theme they played when Goku and Gohan were firing a Kamehameha, which was basically the intro song.

They played that same theme somewhere else in this saga and now it's bothering me because I can't remember when exactly. Anyone remember?
Goku gathering energy for the Spirit Bomb

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:40 pm

Ok episode.

In the end, U6 Namekians were handled better than I was expecting. I like how there was a explanation for why they showed up late and the resolve of their race to survive
They could have eliminated someone though.

I wasn't expecting those three U2 guys to transform like the magical girls. :lol:

Good team battle fights.

"More than love, I rather guts!" Badass Goku!! :clap:

Universe 6 erasure could have been more emotional. Caulifla was the best girl until the end though.

I like how Universe 2 have been watching the Tournament this whole time.

CJStriker_CBR may be proud. Ribrianne went out with a bang!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:45 pm

There were a lot of reused animation here.This episode was very exciting and feels like a battle royale,i just wish the namekians lasted a bit longer.They were a lot of good moments in that battle,especially with the scene where gohan saved piccolo and kami/nail appearing gain,finally gohan is not some idiot here.
    U2 was actually funny here like in 102,they arguably stole along with the androids and goku,this line sticked out the most "More than love, I prefer guts!".
      Lastly the erasure,it was more bittersweet than sad,i really liked that song they used in the erasure of U2/6.A decent episode just wish U7 didn't eat up most of the competition.
      Mostly active on discord.

OLKv3
      I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:46 pm

MajinMan
      Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:48 pm

Gohan is so good in this arc. I really like how they're handling him. This episode was great from start to finish. Lots of action, comedy, and character moments. The U6 Namekians were pretty cool, better than I thought they would be.
      Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Bullza
      Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:50 pm

The Spirit Bomb of course, that was it.

HeroR
      Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:54 pm

OLKv3 wrote:Image
      This is wrong. He used Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan with the Kaioken :P
      Kanassa wrote:
      precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
      Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

precita
      Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:56 pm

It's kind of interesting Freeza didn't bother to help them when they were trapped. I prefer it that way, seems Freeza is trying to learn how to do Ultra Instinct on his own.

Noah
      Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:56 pm

OLKv3 wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
      :clap:

Yea, Goku just can have his power back whenever the plot needs :D

precita wrote:I think his departure was done well.
      Nah, that would be better:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
      乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

precita
      Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:57 pm

^ That fanart is out of character.

MegaBossMan
      Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:59 pm

Holy crap, who wrote this episode? One of my major complaints in this Tournament has been that some of the opponents have been awfully stale and generically evil, but this episode was so well-written that even the fodder of Universe 2 have instantly become memorable to me. Like, seriously, they've gotten a better note in this one episode than the actual tournament has treated the real Magical Girl characters. The Namekians made a good impression too, and I'm glad we finally got a confirmation that the writers went ahead and used the option of a mass Namekian fusion. I think the only downside there was they didn't make a bigger deal of the Nail/Kami fusions for Piccolo either, which would've led to a nice Piccolo character moment in the Tournament. Still, disregarding that the writing was top-notch today. Particularly the erasures of both universes, I was completely left aghast seeing the reactions of the Universe 2 and Universe 6 teams. Not only did they make the magical girls super-endearing here, but that last Champa moment? And then Beerus's response? Dragon Ball's never left me crying before, but I think this is the saddest I've been left off an episode of the whole Dragon Ball franchise. Simply great character writing, I hope this trend keeps up as the tournament progresses.
      By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

Noah
      Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:00 pm

precita wrote:^ That fanart is out of character.
      I don't think it would be OOC if Beerus broke in tears, after all Champa was going to be erased "forever". In fact it would make the scene much more impactful.
      乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Zagacious
      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Noah wrote:
      I don't think it would be OOC if Beerus broke in tears, after all Champa was going to be erased "forever". In fact it would make the scene much more impactful.
      I almost got the feeling Beerus was developing strong hatred for Zeno at that moment, more than purposely ignoring/spiting Champa, but I am probably imagining it. All the gods should be feeling this really that their god would just erase them for little to no reason. I think this is gradually building up to rebelling against Zeno or Grand priest, not in this arc, but possibly in the future. Of course that's not going to be true at all if the Zenos aren't actually erasing anything.

WittyUsername
      I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:09 pm

Zagacious wrote:
      Noah wrote:
      I almost got the feeling Beerus was developing strong hatred for Zeno at that moment, more than purposely ignoring/spiting Champa, but I am probably imagining it. All the gods should be feeling this really that their god would just erase them for little to no reason. I think this is gradually building up to rebelling against Zeno or Grand priest, not in this arc, but possibly in the future. Of course that's not going to be true at all if the Zenos aren't actually erasing anything.
      I highly doubt anything like that is going to happen, but if I were a character in Dragon Ball, I’d definitely hate Zen-Oh’s guts more than anything. That pretty much makes me relate to Freeza this arc.

Brettjr25
      Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:12 pm

Noah wrote:
      Beerus is a god of destruction. He literally murders millions upon millions of people before breakfast and the start of Super had him doing it heartless and maliciously. He has been responsible for more genocide than pure buu in his genocide producing heyday and he's been doing it for ages. GoD have to be heartless to live their lifestyle.He came into this tournament Knowi g that he or his brother would die, I'm not saying he didnt feel anything at his death just him breaking down and crying would be silly.
      Last edited by Brettjr25 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
      Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:12 pm

Well, holy shit. Where did this awesome episode come from?

The remaining Universe fighters transforming into the Kamikaze Fireballs was unexpected and and fucking hysterical. I loved every second of that shit.

The Universe 6 Namekians power being composed of them fusing with every other Namekian in Universe 6 was more expected and but still awesome.

"More than love, I prefer guts!" Fuck. Yes.

The simultaneous Kamehameha's from Goku and Gohan were awesome. Goku's in particular, in dealing with the "black hole" heart attacks from the Universe 2 fighters as exceptional.

I'm a bit shocked that both Universe 2 and Universe 6 bit the dust in the same episode. But how both universes were erased were handled very well. Universe 2 in particular was surprisingly heart-wrenching and heartwarming. They really made me more invested in the fate of the Universe 2 in the last two episode than they have for the entire tournament leading up to those two episodes. Universe 6 also went out how I expected him too. Everyone acted was in-character, but at the same time it all felt very genuine and somber. Beerus' reaction to Champa's last gesture to him ("Say something") was just... devastating. Less really can be more. And I'm glad they didn't go the overly emotional route and made the erasure of Universe 2 or 6 feel too sappy. It all just felt so... raw and real. I don't know how to particularly describe it, but the erasure of Universe 2 and 6 just resonated to me in a way that the other erasures of the universes haven't. So kudos to Toei for making shed a tear at the lose of Universe 2 and 6. Great writing all around.

I think I would have liked to seen a bit more of the Universe 6 Namekians in their send off episode. But what for they provided, I was very much satisfied. For once, it was Gohan making the save for Piccolo and not the other way around. That was nice callback.

Overall, a shockingly stellar episode. It captured the feeling of battle royale with the spectacular battles happening at the same time, whilst also heightening the stakes and making you feel emotional at the lose of the universes and its central characters when all is said and done. That's a really great episode in my book.
      Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Destroyer
      Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:18 pm

Best of episode of the arc by far. Had everything: Action,Drama, and Comedy. Made me laugh, hyped, and cry(kinda).

It seems like when you utilize opponents and well and don't make the show a sayain snoozefest, the episode will be enjoyable.

Noah wrote:
      OLKv3 wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
      :clap:

Yea, Goku just can have his power back whenever the plot needs :D

precita wrote:I think his departure was done well.
      Nah, that would be better:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
      Thank god that didn't happen. I find the idea of Beerus crying over his brother super cringy, especially after all their fighting. Beerus being silent was way more powerful.

irreality
      OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:19 pm

I've never been this torn about a fight. I thought Gohan and Piccolo were awesome and wanted to cheer them on, but I knew their victory meant the destruction of my favorite universe after 7. It was a very impactful fight, and so bittersweet. Also, that is two universes Gohan has eliminated. Wow.

The "Love" Genki Dama was a good touch, too. I think the grace universe 2 showed (and their willingness to give love) speaks to their higher "mortal level" very clearly.

All in all, very good but bittersweet episode. But I want to see some Vegeta fights again. Hopefully next episode will deliver.

And to those criticizing how Beerus expresses grief: I thought it was very in character and appropriate -- that is how some people react to grief.

Vados being a sassy turncoat, though... :p

Brettjr25
      Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:25 pm

So.... 100% confirmed that Goku's durability is greater than a black hole??

:oops: :wink: