Who could have been the best successor to Kikuchi?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Who could have been the best successor to Kikuchi?

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:30 pm

As we all Know Shunsuke Kikuchi's score is the Heart and Soul of the Franchise and he will always be the Favourite DB composer for most of the Fans. As he took retirement after Doing DBZ and Tokunaga took over and did the music for GT which was fitting but for DB Kai we had Kenji Yamamoto Composing the music and had some good tracks too but too bad he plaguirized some songs so he was involved in the Controversy so he was replaced with Norihito Sumitomo who got mixed Reviews from Fans, as some liked his music and some people didn't. I personally think no one lived to Kikuchi's Standards and they could have choosen Hiroshi Takaki who did the Score for Episode of Bardock OVA and new Plan to Eradicate the Saiyan OVA which sounded good. what are your Thoughts ?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: who could have been the best successer of Kikuchi?

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:18 pm

I'd say either Tokunaga or Takaki. Probably Takaki for this day and age. My favorite scene that he scored was the cutscene in Ultimate Tenkaichi when Gohan says goodbye to Goku. It's so sad :cry:

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:58 am

Bansho64 wrote:I'd say either Tokunaga or Takaki. Probably Takaki for this day and age. My favorite scene that he scored was the cutscene in Ultimate Tenkaichi when Gohan says goodbye to Goku. It's so sad :cry:
They should have asked him to do score for Modern Dragon Ball Shows.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Was he busy with precure at the time?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:52 pm

Nobody can really fill Kikuchi's shoes but if he still doesn't want to work on Dragon Ball music anymore I'd like to have are Akira Senju from FMA Brotherhood and Yoshihiro Ike from Shadowverse.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Post by SmugStick » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:53 am

Honestly Tokunaga is my second favorite DB composer and I wished they would’ve kept him around. His music was so catchy. Would have been ok with him on super
My immortal Phoenix died of food poisoning

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8udQV ... 4GFPrFEPzg
Twitter https://twitter.com/SmugStick

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: Who could have been the best successor to Kikuchi?

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:31 pm

I honestly still wish Yamamoto was the main composer. His tracks sounded great in Kai but were awkwardly placed and repeated too often was the only issue for me. Otherwise, to this day I wonder longingly how he would've composed for TFC, BoG, RoF and Super

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:51 pm

Forte224 wrote:I honestly still wish Yamamoto was the main composer. His tracks sounded great in Kai but were awkwardly placed and repeated too often was the only issue for me. Otherwise, to this day I wonder longingly how he would've composed for TFC, BoG, RoF and Super
I think even his score was too modern and Hollywood Style Epic for Dragon Ball and didn't had that wuxia feel that kikuchi had, though his video games score was good.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:57 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:I honestly still wish Yamamoto was the main composer. His tracks sounded great in Kai but were awkwardly placed and repeated too often was the only issue for me. Otherwise, to this day I wonder longingly how he would've composed for TFC, BoG, RoF and Super
I think even his score was too modern and Hollywood Style Epic for Dragon Ball and didn't had that wuxia feel that kikuchi had, though his video games score was good.
Huh, I didn't get that feeling at all. In fact, the track that plays during Vegeta's Final Flash (you should be able to find a Yamamoto clip of that somewhere) sounded very fitting. Before I listened to anything but Faulconer I actually confused it for a Kikuchi track due to the trumpets :lol:

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:18 am

Forte224 wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Huh, I didn't get that feeling at all. In fact, the track that plays during Vegeta's Final Flash (you should be able to find a Yamamoto clip of that somewhere) sounded very fitting. Before I listened to anything but Faulconer I actually confused it for a Kikuchi track due to the trumpets :lol:
One Hit to Victory is a nice track but overall Yamamoto score is more fitting for Budokai Games than Anime though he did some good tracks in Kai 1.0 too bad his music was plaguirized.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:20 am

Bruce Faulconer.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:29 pm

MrTennek wrote:Bruce Faulconer.
Seriously?

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:20 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
Dragon ball has strayed from the classic kungfu style of story. If at all, with all the godly stuff we are being shoved with angels, gods, creation, destrution, judgement and justice, we should be full of heavenly choirs by now lol.

That said, right now I am content with Sumitomo, but Hiroshi Takaki or Shiro Sagisu would be pretty great for Dragon Ball
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Black_Liger wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Dragon ball has strayed from the classic kungfu style of story. If at all, with all the godly stuff we are being shoved with angels, gods, creation, destrution, judgement and justice, we should be full of heavenly choirs by now lol.

That said, right now I am content with Sumitomo, but Hiroshi Takaki or Shiro Sagisu would be pretty great for Dragon Ball
I don't think Shiro Would have worked for Dragon Ball at This point but yes Hiroshi Takaki could have been better option.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:32 pm

Why couldn't kukuchi stay? Takaki would be my second choice, and tokunaga third.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:45 am

sangofe wrote:Why couldn't kukuchi stay? Takaki would be my second choice, and tokunaga third.
As far as I'm aware, Kikuchi is semi-retired at this point and for unknown reasons he quit scoring Dragon Ball music after Z ended. He's still around composing for a TV movie series called Red Dead Wagon and continued to compose for Doraemon until 2001 or something. I'm sad that he chose to leave (and that we have the laughably inconsistent Sumitomo in his place).
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:49 am

floofychan333 wrote:
sangofe wrote:Why couldn't kukuchi stay? Takaki would be my second choice, and tokunaga third.
As far as I'm aware, Kikuchi is semi-retired at this point and for unknown reasons he quit scoring Dragon Ball music after Z ended. He's still around composing for a TV movie series called Red Dead Wagon and continued to compose for Doraemon until 2001 or something. I'm sad that he chose to leave (and that we have the laughably inconsistent Sumitomo in his place).
really? i thought he retired after DBZ and only composed for the 1978 version of Doraemon

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:08 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:
really? i thought he retired after DBZ and only composed for the 1978 version of Doraemon
That's really a bummer. I wonder what GT and Super would've sounded like with him.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:31 am

I agree on Tokunaga; I've only heard his work from The Path to Power, but I love how he is able to make a memorable score right from the first scene in that movie with Goku meeting Bulma. I also liked the more traditional Chinese instruments at play which really put you into the setting of Mount Paoz.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:46 pm

All these Japanese composers sound far too retro and outdated. What Dragon Ball needs is a fresh new sound. Fresh like Faulconer was on the dub. Fuck yeah. 8)