What would you rate DBS out of 10?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

What would you rate DBS out of 10?

Post by BrolyKale » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:55 am

Design 6/10
Animation 6/10
OST 7/10
Story 1/10
Characters 8/10

Total 5,6/10

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What would you rate DBS out of 10?

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:59 am

Super is actually so inconsistent in term of quality between episodes with a range going from awful to excellent so I find an overall rating rather hard to do personally lol

I guess something around 7 lol

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:14 am

Currently 4/10. The current arc has really brought it down for me then there's the fact that half its first year was just bad retellings of the movies. The Champa and Trunks arcs were overall decent but nowhere near what's needed to make up for so much mediocre-bad content.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 am

I rate it an "I'm still here after 118 episodes" out of 10 so it must be doing something right or maybe i'm just a blinded nostalgic moron who is watching a bad show because it has dragon ball, which my nostalgia may have also made better than actually was, in the title.

Nah, its the former.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:29 pm

Design and art: 5/10. The designs are fine only if they are well-drawn. Z's style I find to be better even if not as drawn well.

Animation: 5/10. Unfortunately, the early sagas count and the animation in those was generally stiff and rarely got spectacular. It took a while to get better.

OST: 6/10. Unfortunately, the early sagas count and their soundtrack, save for a few tunes, was too cheery and misplaced. Things got better since the future saga.

Story: 5/10. Battle of Gods was padded, F had bad execution despite good ideas, U6 tournament the same as F, future saga was good until the writing became a mess towards its end. ToP had a long recruitment arc and uneven focus on fights.

Characters: 7/10. Many good new characters, but some were wasted.

Total: 5.6/10.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:42 pm

Before Goku Black? 2/10.

Now? It's a solid 6.
Very inconsistent art going from abysmal to amazing. This arc has been consistently 'decent' at worst though which is fine.

Fights have been getting better but still lack the impact most of the time; characters barely take damage.

Characters/Characterization- honeslty couldnt care less about the new universes, and the characterization for the main cast (Goku for example) was really wonky at times earlier but it's been much better recently.

This arc promoted all 10 fighters but lets be honest, it's still been 90% Goku with only small glimpses to the others. Like seriously, why was 5 episodes dedicated to Goku vs Caulifla and Kale when we had more interesting fights that weren't being shown? For a tournament arc, U7 has all but completely dominated everyone. 95% of the eliminations of from them.

Story: frankly pretty crap. The only remotely interesting story was Black but the arc was so riddled by pacing issues, a convoluted time paradox and a bad ending that it hurt the story as a whole for me.

Progression: everything feels so self contained for me. In DB and Z (barring Buu) the stories felt seemless flowing into one another.
With DBS, we have zero acknowledgement of time passing or physical growth. Characters look exactly the same as they did 7 years prior in Buu, and some look even younger (Marron).

Music: very meh. There's a few fantastic tracks (fucking love the recap theme) and Birth of a God and that one rendition of Limit Break x Survivor was cool too but thats really it.

On the bright side, Limit Break X Survivor might be my favorite Dragon Ball opening period.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:12 pm

BOG - 7
ROF - 3
U6 - 7
FT - 7.5
TOP - 7

So that makes it 6.3. I am still enjoying it... if I shut off my brain.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Never been a big fan of using number ratings, so I'll give it a "I feel like an abuse victim who keeps going back anyway" out of ten. :thumbdown:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:23 pm

7/10 overall
For context:
DB: 8/10
DBZ: 5/10
DBGT: 3/10
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:40 pm

Ever since the Future Trunks Arc has been surprising me with how fun and memorable the show can be, what I've liking the most over the past 50 or so episodes have been the gags (most of them either spot on or laughtably ridiculous) and secondary characters getting development in the episodes they are heavily featured.

Overall animation and aesthetic has also improved but I can't comment further than, mainly because I am not an animation expert, but at the very least it has been enjoyable.

Overall the show is a 8/10 for me, definetly look forward to every new episode.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:56 pm

Pfff, screw individual aspect ratings! I love every bit of the show, and though I won't deny its flaws (which for me are more than made up for by the pros), I very rarely find myself bored or uninterested. It keeps me invested and entertained, and that's honestly good enough for me.

It gets a 9.5/10 from me!
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:59 pm

Champa arc: 6/10.

Zamasu arc: 8/10

TOP: 8/10

Fillers: 10/10

Super was mostly crap in it's first year but you can just watch the movies. The animation skyrocketed since the TOP arc started so there's no real bad animation anymore.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:15 pm

Maybe it's just because we've had a string of consistently good episodes especially since the special, but at the moment it's sitting at a solid 8/10. I have fun tuning in to watch it every week. What more do you need?

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:31 pm

Overall: 9/10

The animation and art is inconsistent, sometimes it is really really good, sometimes bad, but i enjoy the show, i love the characters it introduces [Champa, Vados, Caulifla, Kale, Hit and many others], and the OST is amazing.

DBS gives me goosebumps/chills like DBZ did to me 20 years ago. I'm satisfied with the series. and i only didn't liked the first two arcs.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:55 pm

Kanassa wrote:7/10 overall
For context:
oh wow really? I give 9 to Z lol

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:59 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
Kanassa wrote:7/10 overall
For context:
oh wow really? I give 9 to Z lol
Yeah, I always thought of Z as a rather mediocre part of Dragon Ball, with the Saiyan and Majin Buu Saga being the good parts of it. If I hadn't learned about the original Dragon Ball later I would have never been a fan of Dragon Ball.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:11 pm

Kanassa wrote:Yeah, I always thought of Z as a rather mediocre part of Dragon Ball, with the Saiyan and Majin Buu Saga being the good parts of it. If I hadn't learned about the original Dragon Ball later I would have never been a fan of Dragon Ball.
Huh, I would've thought you'd like the Freeza arc as well since Freeza is, like, your favorite character!
MyAnimeList | AniList

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:28 pm

Anime Kitten wrote: Huh, I would've thought you'd like the Freeza arc as well since Freeza is, like, your favorite character!
It's possible to have a favourite character be unfortunately surrounded by a shitty arc.
Last edited by Neo-Makaiōshin on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:35 pm

I'm shocked lol

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:39 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:It's possible to a favourite character be unfortunately surrounded by a shitty arc.
While that is true, Freeza's character is obviously drawn heavily from his story arc, so this situation just seems a bit odd. On second thought, though, I have seen people who dislike Freeza but like the arc, so I suppose anything's possible :P
MyAnimeList | AniList