Super Episode 119 (10 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 119 (10 December 2017)

Post by julianix » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:19 am

Just another terrible episode to add to the collection. I mean invisible fighters, guys in super suites and a bug. Yes people a bug.

Are you freaking kidding me? All we need now is a magazord to go along with the power puff girls.

This shit is nothing like dbz.. this is straight trash.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:33 am

I'm not gonna lie...I really didn't care for this episode.

This to me, of all the filler episodes of the tournament, felt the most filler-ish. The "bugs" were a huge let down (can we even call Gamisaras a bug or was he more of a chameleon?)

And Piccolo falling out was the biggest let down of this tournament thus far. He got shafted. AGAIN! I was honestly hoping we would see him have some time to shine, and I was really hoping we'd get to see him and 17 team up. But nope. A huge let down

Next week, we get the U3 Megazord it seems. I honestly feel like these next few weeks will be more of this, leading up to U7 vs U11.

Definitely a crap episode :thumbdown:

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:37 am

I was so excited, but I ended up being disappointed with this episode... this arc is terrible overall.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:46 am

julianix wrote:I mean invisible fighters, guys in super suites and a bug. Yes people a bug.

Are you freaking kidding me? All we need now is a magazord to go along with the power puff girls.

Yes, a bug...just like Gregory in DBZ. Or Imperfect Cell.

Guys in super suits, or people who pose...like the Ginyu Force.

Robots...do I need to go on about the amount of robots dating back to the original Dragonball with all of Pilaf's machines, Android 8, Mettalitron, the big Skeleton robot in the pirate base, etc?

All the character designs are straight up Dragonball.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:58 am

julianix wrote:Just another terrible episode to add to the collection. I mean invisible fighters, guys in super suites and a bug. Yes people a bug.

Oh god, you're one of those people.....

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:33 am

Not bad, but it dragged a little.

I find it a little odd that they couldn't sense (or took so long to sense) the chi of someone so small, it must have been like a bullet that leaves traces. Still, once they found him out, he didn't last long.

Quietela went out like a bitch LOL
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:34 am

I enjoyed the episode. BUT ... I also understand how it made people feel the pacing is flat out horrible.

The biggest problem in the ToP is that the order of elimination isn't logical; it destroys any suspension of disbelief the viewer can possibly muster. It makes no sense as to why the chameleon hasn't knocked out a single character so far from any other universe, other than the fact that the writers simply decided to utilize him NOW. What was he doing all this time? Why did he decided to act now and against everybody at U7 at the same time?

- Why isn't U11 doing ANYTHING?!?

- We have fighters that were literally put on a bus, without any sort of explanation of why they didn't do anything in the first 40 minutes of the tournament.

- We have 90% of fighters attacking Universe 7, effectively turning it into Universe 7's private little Survival Mode - seriously, at this point it's like the other fighters have taken a number in order to know which goes in fighting U7.

- Ideas that could've make certain eliminations be WTF!?!? moments and make you jump from your seat are wasted in cheap shock moments that have no consequence. Hyped strategies and team-ups which could've been awesome are not utilized.

- Is Frieza in the bathroom? Where the fuck is he? Is he making the talking-on-the-phone gesture and goes like, 'call me when Goku goes up against Jiren'?

Maybe we're asking too much from a kids show? I don't know ...

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:37 am

I was expecting Piccolo's elimination from all the attention he was getting, but I'm still annoyed by how unceremoniously he was dispatched, especially considering that the key to discovering Damon was hearing, for crying out loud. At least they tried to compensate us, his bitter fans, with two more eliminations.

He actually got it better than Krillin or Tenshin Han. But in those cases, his teammates seemed to be bothered, which didn't happen with Piccolo. U4 had a similar problem, his elimination didn't felt meaningful at all, but with four universes already eliminated is probably hard to write that as a big deal.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:12 am

I've noticed that whenever Super attempts to inject "strategy" into the fighting, it almost always flops. Nearly every "strategic" battle just comes off as bare-minimum, lazy, nothing content. It's either A) The gimmick isn't that threatening and is defeated almost immediately, or B) The characters just scream loudly and "power through" a cool ability, like Jiren with Hit's time trap.

The show is at it's best when it just commits to full-on, no-gimmick bombastic fights.
Kokonoe wrote:Man, the last episode and this current episode really have stepped up the artwork and animation. Also the fights are having much more effort and thought put into them.

Really enjoyed this episode as well as the previous one.
....I could not disagree more with this. This might've been the single WORST animated episode of this entire tournament. I'm sorry, but putting this episode's animation in the same tier as last weeks is just...insane to say the least. They aren't even close in visual quality.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:38 am

And they left U11 alone why??? :evil:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:51 am

So, Piccolo, the guy with the best hearing out of everyone gets knocked out by the guy you need good hearing to figure out? I really don't get why they didn't have 18 get knocked out, she got her big fuck yeah moment by beating Ribrianne, I don't think you'd get much flack for having the U4 people take her out at this venture.

Also, they completely wasted the guy who can bring back the dead universe as illusions, especially since Gohan found the locket of one of them and it easily could've been used for some good dramatic tension for him. Having a dead Cabba scold Vegeta for not being a good enough master would've been another good use of it.

So yeah, pretty shit episode.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:55 am

Artorias wrote:I've noticed that whenever Super attempts to inject "strategy" into the fighting, it almost always flops. Nearly every "strategic" battle just comes off as bare-minimum, lazy, nothing content. It's either A) The gimmick isn't that threatening and is defeated almost immediately, or B) The characters just scream loudly and "power through" a cool ability, like Jiren with Hit's time trap.

The show is at it's best when it just commits to full-on, no-gimmick bombastic fights.
Kokonoe wrote:Man, the last episode and this current episode really have stepped up the artwork and animation. Also the fights are having much more effort and thought put into them.

....I could not disagree more with this. This might've been the single WORST animated episode of this entire tournament. I'm sorry, but putting this episode's animation in the same tier as last weeks is just...insane to say the least. They aren't even close in visual quality.

lol no

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:24 am

Kokonoe wrote:
Artorias wrote:I've noticed that whenever Super attempts to inject "strategy" into the fighting, it almost always flops. Nearly every "strategic" battle just comes off as bare-minimum, lazy, nothing content. It's either A) The gimmick isn't that threatening and is defeated almost immediately, or B) The characters just scream loudly and "power through" a cool ability, like Jiren with Hit's time trap.

lol no
You cherry picked three scenarios. One of which is a single good drawing of Gohan, and one of which is basic repeat frames that aren't impressive in the slightest.

Even if all three of those were impressive (which they aren't), you're still ignoring the other 90% of the episode that consisted of poorly drawn faces and EXTREMELY stiff, limited, and lackluster fight sequences with the bugs and invisible guy. You can't just cherry pick three quick scenes and cite the whole episode as "good animation". That's disingenuous. Every episode is going to have a few decent looking scenes here and there, but it's about the package as a whole, as well as how consistently well done the episode is. Tate's sequences from 118 blow anything from this episode out of the water.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:46 am

Kokonoe wrote: [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Thanks for the gif, I will be taking this now..
KingKaash wrote:All the hype of the sneaky Quitela having something planned to cause major trouble in the ToP and yet the episode didn't quite deliver..
It feels like they went through the whole lot of Toriyama's plot points for Universes 4 in one episode, every mystery fighter was out and wrapped in in a single episode..
It could have easily been stretched out to 2 or more for more of an impact..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:55 am

Damon did pretty much exactly what I expected him to do. I was just expecting him to be a lot better at it. Oh well. I'm not really surprised Gamisaras had no luck either when his only gimmick was being invisible. Goku and Roshi dealt with that shit years ago.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:18 am

julianix wrote:Just another terrible episode to add to the collection. I mean invisible fighters, guys in super suites and a bug. Yes people a bug.

Yes. Please make this just like DBZ. I don't want this fuckin bullshit with bugs, magical girls, super suit people and all that other crap. That's not DBZ.

Man, it's almost as if it's NOT DBZ, but a different series? How strange.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:31 am

Asura wrote:
darzap wrote:When Roshi spoke of blood from the nose and Gohan called Piccolo, I was legitimately afraid for a second, that Gohan would propose, "Hey Piccolo, lets rip off one of your papier-mâché arms and cover that guy in your purple blood".
I was literally thinking the same thing. I was gonna say oh man please no not again with the arms lol.
Make that 3 of us, though I had it as a "surely they are not going to do that, are they?" kinda thought :lol:

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:33 am

There's only two things i have to say out of this pretty boring /nothing episode (it was bound to happen after so many nice ones).

I fucking love Katopesla, i wish he stayed longer.

Wow, U4 is officially the worst universe of all, like, i didn't fucking care about them being erased at all.
There were interesting characters (just in the ability aspect) but none of them ended up being a huge threat, hell Piccolo being eliminated still feels more like an accident than him taking the L from a dangerous fighter.Krillin was knocked out in the same way but by fucking Frost who ended up looking like a menace in his episodes.

People can say what they want about not caring about the other erased universes, but at least each of them had something.

U9:I grew fond of the three brothers, Rou was annoying but at least in an interesting way (he's a kaioshin, more active than the god of destruction , but still has limits like we saw on #95).
U10: Most of it's chararacters were fodder but i actually felt bad about the team because they were chosen in a pretty moronic way so i was pretty much waiting for the moment they would fall. I cared about Gowasu and Obuni was a memorable character, having a nice ability, being an atual good fighter and having a family to protect, making his erasure pretty tragic.
U2: This may be unpopular but it was one of the high poins of this arc. Full of entertaining and funny character, being completely different from other fighters in a good way. I love the references and the gags that they have brought with them.
U6: I don't think i need to explain why i cared or liked it's fighters. But i will say, that while i hated Champa's attitude towards his brother (wanting him to get erased), i at least liked how he showed some respect for his fighters , he at least changed on that aspect. He even seemed more mature.

Universe 3 has done nothing yet, but it's still much better than U4. Katopesla and Mayi Kayo? (don't know how to write his name ) were pretty nice, and i fucking love the fact that all the other robots will fuse in the next episode.

Universe 11 is the world of superheroes so it receives a big thumbs up from me. I love Toppo, started to like Dyspo and while Jiren is the blandest antagonist i have ever seen in db, at least he's an actual huge threat and may be hiding something.

So, only three universes remain, it seems like the finale is getting closer. Wonder what they will do until March then, will the finale really long? will we get some twist? Or just filler?
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:38 am

Was it me or was Goku slightly off in the face this episode? Something seemed slightly odd.

Art aside this would have been a really good episode earlier in the tournament. This late it lacked a little punch.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:42 am

omaro34 wrote:Still scratching my head as to why these universe four fighters didn't remain hidden till the end if they were that weak.
OverHeaven wrote:And why the hell was Quitela super confidence about something as pathetic as this? is this really the most amazing thing he ever saw? what a stupid God Of Destruction, like most of them actually... lol
My thoughts, exactly! Man, I thought that Quitella guy was clever, but it turns out he's nothing but an idiot. He could use the invisible guy and the bug to stay hidden, so his universe could have a chance to win the ToP.
Sonicjamareiz wrote:This episode just proves that the Manga is objectively better 100% FACT :D
No, the manga is also bad, if not worse than the anime.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?